Ambulance Response Time After Witnessing Accident

MisterMan

Yesterday in Kata just by the Boathouse I witnessed two Swedish tourists get knocked off their motorbike and hit the ground hard! (no helmet of course)

I stopped and asked someone to call an ambulance and someone said they had . After about 5 minutes I remembered that one day I met a firefighter from the Kata/Karon fire station who said that Karon has an ambulance and he gave me the number.

So I called the number and handed it to a Thai to explain the location etc.. Someone else said they had called an ambulance too..

I expected that at least one ambulance would show up in a few minutes but even the one from just a kilometer up the road took about 15 minutes! :o

Luckily the people were not bleeding to death (nearly though) and the one guy had regained consciousness (after 10 minutes of being OUT- I thought he was dead! Tourist were clueless and wanted to move the victim's and straighten their limbs etc..

A police officer showed up and showed no signs of any frist aid knowledge. He kind of milled about with a piece of the car that had fallen off. Inspecting it for clues? (Perhaps radioing in the fact that a silver car missing part of hits bumper might be around might have been useful).

Anyways the point is that from Kata the nearest ambulance is in Kata,

at the fire department.

076 330 913

Yes, this was awful and thank goodness the Swedish couple are alive.

Such a disgrace that the driver of the silver vehicle sped off. We tried to get his number but unfortunately could not.

Lucky your instructor was on scene.. as someone was trying to get that poor girl to move her leg!! Your instructor was so calm but firm !! Her boyfriend didn't want to go to the HOSPITAL!!! but that is another story.....

Again kudos too Khun Bank!

Unfortunately, the provision of paramedic/emergency first response services is woefully inadequate. This is the situation throughout Thailand :o

In Phuket, there are very good private hospitals, with fully-equipped ambulances. But there is always the travel time from hospital to accident, and this can be excessive, especially in the busy tourist areas.

The volunteer ambulance services have ambulances stationed throughout Phuket, (call 1669 to request these). However, most of their staff speak little English, the ambulances are poorly equipped and the staff keen but poorly trained.

The ignorance about first aid from passing tourists is not unique to Thailand. I think you would have similar issues in any other tourist destination.

Personally, I would like to see each hotel/major tourist business in Phuket nominate one member of staff who has to undergo first-aid/emergency first response training. Surely, the knowledge to help tourists who have accidents is all part of the customer service to tourists that such businesses should provide??

Simon

Yesterday in Kata just by the Boathouse I witnessed two Swedish tourists get knocked off their motorbike and hit the ground hard! (no helmet of course)

I stopped and asked someone to call an ambulance and someone said they had . After about 5 minutes I remembered that one day I met a firefighter from the Kata/Karon fire station who said that Karon has an ambulance and he gave me the number.

So I called the number and handed it to a Thai to explain the location etc.. Someone else said they had called an ambulance too..

I expected that at least one ambulance would show up in a few minutes but even the one from just a kilometer up the road took about 15 minutes! :o

Luckily the people were not bleeding to death (nearly though) and the one guy had regained consciousness (after 10 minutes of being OUT- I thought he was dead! Tourist were clueless and wanted to move the victim's and straighten their limbs etc..

A police officer showed up and showed no signs of any frist aid knowledge. He kind of milled about with a piece of the car that had fallen off. Inspecting it for clues? (Perhaps radioing in the fact that a silver car missing part of hits bumper might be around might have been useful).

Anyways the point is that from Kata the nearest ambulance is in Kata,

at the fire department.

076 330 913

I'm curious, so which "ambulance" showed up? Was it one of the meat wagons who's staff does nothing but throw the injured/dieing into the bed of the pick-up with no pre-hospital care given whatsoever or concern for c-spine immobilization and leave them unattended for the race back to the highest bidding hospital? I'm not sure, but I think this is what is summoned if you call the phone number you provided. I have never seen an ambulance at the Kata "fire station" if thats what you call the bunch of red water trucks with the guys wearing football jerseys operating them. Or, was it one of the proper ambulances staffed by nurses from one of the private hospitals, or 'Mobile ICU' or maybe the tourist rescue unit set up in by Tsunami money in the middle of a Tsunami zome at Chalong pier? TIT

I heard that they used to have a proper ambulance on stand by in Patong, but that this is almost always never the case now, and so they usually come all the way from Phuket Town or Chalong. I also heard that the quality of ambulance dispatched is dependent upon whether the victims are farang or Thai.

A few months ago I had two Italian girls ram into the back of my motorbike with there motorbike just as they were pulling out of the motorbike rental shop around the corner from the Boathouse. They went down hard. The ambulance took, like you said MisterMan, 15+ minutes, but it was a proper one from the "Tourist Rescue" in chalong with seemingly trianed personnel.

From what I can tell, Thai EMT's and paramedics don't exist. It's either all or nothing. Either it's "transport only" by pick-up truck like it was in the west 50-60 years ago, or you get an E.R. nurse with EKG heart monitor, oxygyn, and all the trimmings.

When I first read this I tought about how PSC is right across the street from The Boathouse, so I was glad to see the relatively highly medically trained dive staff got involved. Good job guys. Handling medical emergencies is never easy.

I'll chip in my 2 cents worth... just get the victims of an accident to a private hospital as quickly as possible, never mind waiting for an ambulance, just load them into any sort of vehicle willing to go to the hospital. Just as good as those first aider pick-ups. I remember my first major mobike accident on Karon beach road (old exit from Arcadia). Guy on mobike veered into my path, big crash. 4 people on the ground (drivers & paxs). Luckily some bystander organised a Tuk Tuk to take all 4 of us to Phuket International PDQ. I can't remember much of this I was unconscious for a while. BTW I & wife were wearing quality helmets, saving us from major head injuries.

Such a disgrace that the driver of the silver vehicle sped off. We tried to get his number but unfortunately could not.

Lucky your instructor was on scene.. as someone was trying to get that poor girl to move her leg!! Your instructor was so calm but firm !! Her boyfriend didn't want to go to the HOSPITAL!!! but that is another story.....

Thanks Mrman I will tell Bank and our DM candidate who aided the guy. They did have a problem with the other tourists trying to move the girl.

Thanks Mrman I will tell Bank and our DM candidate who aided the guy. They did have a problem with the other tourists trying to move the girl.

Yeah, don't move them unless you need to in order to treat more serious injuries, for example if they appear dead and you need to perform CPR. When I teach CPR and BLS I always remind my students there is no worse state of health than being dead, (yet always take what spinal precautions you can) Fractures should be splint in place. You may also need to move them if thier present location is, or soon will be, unsafe for them to remain. Also don't give them anything to drink. This may complicate surgery later if they need it.

Thai first aid: 1) Give water to drink, 2) wrap moist towel around neck, and 3) give hand massage. Nice that they are trying I guess.

I wish everyone should learn basic first aid and CPR, especially around here with all the accidents we encounter day to day.

I'll chip in my 2 cents worth... just get the victims of an accident to a private hospital as quickly as possible, never mind waiting for an ambulance, just load them into any sort of vehicle willing to go to the hospital. Just as good as those first aider pick-ups. I remember my first major mobike accident on Karon beach road (old exit from Arcadia). Guy on mobike veered into my path, big crash. 4 people on the ground (drivers & paxs). Luckily some bystander organised a Tuk Tuk to take all 4 of us to Phuket International PDQ. I can't remember much of this I was unconscious for a while. BTW I & wife were wearing quality helmets, saving us from major head injuries.

Mostly agree, but if somebody is laying on the street heavily injured, cannot it be dangerous to move/lift him if you don't know exactly what you are doing? In that case it might be better to call one of the private hospitals for an ambulance.

Mostly agree, but if somebody is laying on the street heavily injured, cannot it be dangerous to move/lift him if you don't know exactly what you are doing? In that case it might be better to call one of the private hospitals for an ambulance.

Yes, your are correct. But who knows what untrained clowns will turn up, to claim the 'commission' for taking the victim to the most expensive hospital. Given that the victim often has no idea or control of the situation then all I am suggesting is ... 'get them to a quality hospital PDQ'. A backboard and neck restraint are highly desirable, but in the hands of untrained people.... :o

I'll chip in my 2 cents worth... just get the victims of an accident to a private hospital as quickly as possible, never mind waiting for an ambulance, just load them into any sort of vehicle willing to go to the hospital. Just as good as those first aider pick-ups.

Scoop and run is now the accepted means despite it going against intuition of stabilizing first. Head trauma and heart attacks have fast moving clocks. I suggest that one not go to Patong General unless someone has phoned ahead to verify that there is a physician on duty.

Yeah, don't move them unless you need to in order to treat more serious injuries, for example if they appear dead and you need to perform CPR. When I teach CPR and BLS I always remind my students there is no worse state of health than being dead, (yet always take what spinal precautions you can) Fractures should be splint in place. You may also need to move them if thier present location is, or soon will be, unsafe for them to remain. Also don't give them anything to drink. This may complicate surgery later if they need it.

Thai first aid: 1) Give water to drink, 2) wrap moist towel around neck, and 3) give hand massage. Nice that they are trying I guess.

I wish everyone should learn basic first aid and CPR, especially around here with all the accidents we encounter day to day.

One of the most intelligent recommendations I have seen. I don't deal with the living, just those that are terminal or past their due date so I have the luxury of not making fatal errors. Well meaning bystanders don't have that option. So please, if you don't know what to do, stick to giving comfort only. Giving CPR almost always results in chest injuries, so leave it to those that know like the above person. Moving spinal cord injuries results in paralysis, so if you can't ascertain, don't touch until someone that can, arrives.

You forgot 2 things!!!!!!!!!!! The sniffy Eucalyptus thing and Tiger Balm! Really my friend was in an accident. Thai people laying on the street. Someone came up to them sticking one of those things up their nose!

The ambulance that came said "Karon Municipality" and was a WHITe ambulance with lights not a red firetruck. However it was K.Bank that had to point out the bone sticking out of the girls knee to the "Paramedic" and it was then that he went to get the board to stabilize her leg.

Not sure what is worst waiting for an untrained paramedic to come or Living in Kata to throw me in a tuk tuk! :o

Not sure what is worst waiting for an untrained paramedic to come or Living in Kata to throw me in a tuk tuk! :o

I just knew I would get flamed for my previous thoughts. I myself would take the 'thrown into back of TukTuk' option anytime. Rather than have the life drain out of me waiting for an ambulance.

P.S. I know, I know.... many will thinking, what about paralysis from spine injury. It's a tough call...

I just knew I would get flamed for my previous thoughts. I myself would take the 'thrown into back of TukTuk' option anytime. Rather than have the life drain out of me waiting for an ambulance.

P.S. I know, I know.... many will thinking, what about paralysis from spine injury. It's a tough call...

You are right. Don't sweat it. If conscious a few quick tests to determine nature of injuries and off you go. One can determine if there is nerve injury by stimulus of extremities (fingers, toes). If patient can move limbs, then the risk is warranted if the patient is bleeding heavily. I'd rather a tuk tuk ride with a sensible farang than a bouncing ride in a Thai ambulance with an untrained attendant.

i don't even share the obsession of splinting before transport. True the jagged bone can sever an artery, but few people know how to splint properly and can do damage when they try. Fractures have to be reduced at the hospital and that means undoing the splint treatment. I'd gladly accept a sprint free ride to a hospital.

The private hospitals operate their own 'private' ambulances. Phuket International, Phuket Bangkok, and Mission Hospitals operate their own ambulances. Problem can be the time (and availability) for the private ambulance to drive from the hospital, and back again. These ambulances are usually well equipped and have trained staff.

I think most of the response time is a direct result of peoples driving habbits....

If you ever watch an abulance with lights on tying to get through traffic, no one pulls over and lets them past... In my home country drivers that don't pull over and let them pass will recieve a hefty fine if the police catch them, here I have seen several times even a police truck not getting out of the way for an abulance, so why would a "regular" citizen move out of the way....

I think most of the response time is a direct result of peoples driving habbits....

If you ever watch an abulance with lights on tying to get through traffic, no one pulls over and lets them past... In my home country drivers that don't pull over and let them pass will recieve a hefty fine if the police catch them, here I have seen several times even a police truck not getting out of the way for an abulance, so why would a "regular" citizen move out of the way....

Many of the drivers here are quite selfish/dangerous their driving habits or seem to be blissfully unaware of those around them, hence they do not pull over to allow ambulances to pass. Do they even think that someone's life may be at stake or just retreat to the Bhuddist karma way of thinking? If they felt it was a their own child or a family member the reaction may be different. However, I spend quite a bit of time at the wheel & it appears to me that more drivers are taking notice of the ambulances/rescue vehicles although this could be due to increased frequency.

Phuket's accident toll per head must be the highest in the land & I read recently that the number of vehicles registered here & the ones from outside the province makes a mockery of the official population figures. It shows that central funding for Phuket is woefully low based on officialy registered people & this funding is likely to include that used for policing, better road conditions etc.