Surin Farang Connection

Asianrider

Just spent 2 nights up at Surin at the Thong Tarin hotel for a friend's party at Lam Deuan. Hotel was okay, 740baht per night, a lot cheaper than the internet rate advertised on their website.

Every day had lunch at Farang Connection. Run by an amiable chap called Martin who spared the time to make every one feel welcome, the English breakfast there was as good as i have ever had in Pattaya !

They have internet room upstairs as well. Recommended.

Just spent 2 nights up at Surin at the Thong Tarin hotel for a friend's party at Lam Deuan. Hotel was okay, 740baht per night, a lot cheaper than the internet rate advertised on their website.

Every day had lunch at Farang Connection. Run by an amiable chap called Martin who spared the time to make every one feel welcome, the English breakfast there was as good as i have ever had in Pattaya !

HI

You sure that was Martin?... Sounds most unlike him!!

TBWG :o

HI

Oh he's not a bad old stick, Martin.

I always spend my day times there getting lager'd up before I hit the town.

John.....

HI

Oh he's not a bad old stick, Martin.

So true .... even when it's busy and he spreads himself thin, there's still quite a lot of him :D

So true .... even when it's busy and he spreads himself thin, there's still quite a lot of him :wai:

:o:D:D No Comment

other than its nice to get a bit of positive feedback ON HERE once in a while :D

I even heard some girls call him handsum :D

So true .... even when it's busy and he spreads himself thin, there's still quite a lot of him :wai:

:o:D:D No Comment

other than its nice to get a bit of positive feedback ON HERE once in a while :D

I even heard some girls call him handsum :D

So the beer must be cheap and plentiful then. Seriously though I visited in February and he was very welcoming and although I enjoyed trying Thai food it was nice to have something I was used to. My gf tried my cod chips and mushy peas and seemed to like the peas.

I would recommend to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there with my g/f for food and a beer, very disapointed. Expensive and to be honest the food was poor and well below what i expected...maybe try the restuarant across the road, i`m talking about the farang connection in the bus station, i dont know what the new one is like..?

I definitely have to agree with OP, first time I set foot in the Farang Connection, I had spent about a week in the rice fields and run out of books to read therefore getting a bit bored. I asked the owner, Martin, if he knew where I could pick up any English books in Surin and he immediately offered me to borrow a book from his collection. As for the food it's mostly the typical British fare and I've had a few nice meals there. I stop by a few times every year when I come up from Pattaya, and I've never been disappointed. Use of computers upstairs for internet, and if you bring your own laptop, you can use it in the restaurant/bar area downstairs. I'm planning to head over there for the Formula 1 race on Sunday as I'm now in the area again.

Went there with my g/f for food and a beer, very disapointed. Expensive and to be honest the food was poor and well below what i expected...maybe try the restuarant across the road, i`m talking about the farang connection in the bus station, i dont know what the new one is like..?

35-60 baht for a beer. Expensive? Well, just that tells a story about this poster. Anyway, thanks to the 98% that enjoy my place.

Edited by farangconnection

35-60 baht for a beer. Expensive? Well, just that tells a story about this poster. Anyway, thanks to the 98% that enjoy my place.

Hint: He's Scottish :o:D

Hint: He's Scottish :D:D

Hint: Among other things :D:o Never used these lil ditties 'fore.

I would not go there for thai food, which can be bought 4 times cheaper (grabpao gai: regular thai restaurant 25 baht , 100 baht at farang connection) anywhere else in the area, but if you crave english grub (why should you anyway?), or imported beers probably there aren't many other places in town, and you pay a premium for that

I reckon beef (they offer both imported and thai) is pretty dear as well, but their menu is both on the internet and in a paper version on the tables. If you don't like the prices no one forces you to eat there

I would not go there for thai food, which can be bought 4 times cheaper (grabpao gai: regular thai restaurant 25 baht , 100 baht at farang connection) anywhere else in the area, but if you crave english grub (why should you anyway?), or imported beers probably there aren't many other places in town, and you pay a premium for that

I reckon beef (they offer both imported and thai) is pretty dear as well, but their menu is both on the internet and in a paper version on the tables. If you don't like the prices no one forces you to eat there

While I agree that the Thai food is a tad on the dear side, I did base my prices on other Thai restaurants in the area ( both authentic Thai restaurants across the road are in fact more expensive),one of the funny things is nearly all the complaints about high prices for Thai food come from Falangs. I am sorry, but I am one of those people that when I take my wife or GF out, I do like to sit at a nice restaurant, and not on the pavement, where I must admit meals come at premium prices.( Orden, you are certainly not alone there, but too many people, Farangs mostly, would rather pay for a cheap bad meal, than an expensive top of the range meal)and we do get a lot of Thais just come to eat our Thai food there. What you did not mention though, is the quality and amount of the said grub. Nearly all the complaints I get are in the region of " I can't eat that much" or " I'll have to have a box to take this home"

Edited by farangconnection

I have always had good sized portions at the Ferang Connection except for the last few times I ordered Ham,Egg,Chips n Beanz. This WAS a favourite of mine and the Ham was thick and delicious.

Unfortunetly it seems now to be served up with one 'CD sized' slice that might be adequate for a sandwich and not a meal.

To be fair, both times, Martin was not around or maybe on a PC so maybe when the cats away.........

Generally, I think it is a benefit to the Surin Expat community and he has a mountain of local knowledge.

:o

Dave

it seems now to be served up with one 'CD sized' slice

Dave

Sign of the times...............................used to be 33rpm sized. But you know the younsters of today.

Anyway thanks for the input I will look into that. Next time you come, Ham Eggs, Chips & Beanz on the house.

Oh in that case, last time I ordered Sausage,Chips & Beanz, I got a slice of sausage,1 chip & 1 bean

Hint: He's Scottish :o:D

And? We're not tight, just careful and like to question all expenditure of any currency.

Brigante7.

it seems now to be served up with one 'CD sized' slice

Dave

Sign of the times...............................used to be 33rpm sized. But you know the younsters of today.

Anyway thanks for the input I will look into that. Next time you come, Ham Eggs, Chips & Beanz on the house.

Oh in that case, last time I ordered Sausage,Chips & Beanz, I got a slice of sausage,1 chip & 1 bean

And you left half of that. :o:D :D

Last time I was at the FC, I enjoyed the meal - ..................................

the company - ................................................................................

all the beers were full sized - .....................................................

and I even still had money when I left :o

I was thankful there was a Farang Connection in my two visits to Surin. Nice surroundings, good food, broad menu, reasonable prices and free high-speed wi-fi. Oh, and personable boss and good location, too, near main hotels, bus and train stations.