Using The Debit Card In Thailand

Hi All,

how does one find out the rules about using the Be 1st card. When this was issued to me the local bank assured me I would be able to use this card to do business on the internet. Sometimes I can and other times I can't. just been to Australia and was able to use this card there with no trouble. I have also been able to use it to buy my health supliments from a company in Aust. via the internet. Now I want to do some business on ebay.com but they tell me my card is not authorised for this transaction. I have also tried to buy virus protection from MacAfee but once again they won't accept the card.

The local bank tell me ''yes you can use the card to do business on the internet'' but no I can't, in reality, and they suggested I get a credit card but I will need to pay 5000 baht per year for this. If I do get a credit card the question for me is can I trust their word or do I waste 5000baht. After all the bank has already lied to me.

Can someone tell me where can I get some truth about this issue.

Regards Joe

I can only offer my own experience and empirical judgement.

So far I have had no trouble using my SCB Hip debit card for every transaction as it carries a Visa logo and is referred to as an "electronic" debit card. It may be that it goes through the Visa system.

On the other hand, my debit card from my bank in the U.S. doesn't work on many occasions, as it is a card issued by the bank that doesn't contain the Visa logo. Even my Thai bank couldn't use it for "teller initiated poinst of sale transactions"

My Schwab debit card does have the Visa logo and works well everywhere.

It may be of little consolation, but I believe that any vendor or bank has the right to determine which credit/debit card they choose to accept as there are costs to the vendor/bank with use of Visa vs. Mastercard credit cards and I would be surprised if debit cards likewise don't have a charge attached for running it through their system.

If your debit card doesn't have a Visa logo on it, get one that does, either from your bank or the bigger banks in Thailand. If it does have a Visa logo on it, then my only guess is that since it is a Thai bank many internet vendors either won't do business in Thailand or won't deal with Thai banks.

I have encountered a number of internet vendors who won't accept orders from outside the U.S.. Many do as a matter of course and I suspect that they just haven't gone through the extra steps to do international business.