Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

Dear Member,

Thank you for your message. I confirm that the newly announced charges for overseas withdrawals will only apply for cards issued by Visa - Nationwide Debit Cards, Credit Cards.

For CIRRUS Cash Cards these are operated by MasterCard and will not be introduced the newly announced charge.

So back to the question ...how do we go about getting the CIRRUS Cash Card instead of the Visa debit/credit card

from Nationwide ?

When I opened my account with them I asked for a cash card but they refused saying my credit rating was " too good " ha ha :)

johng - I know that this topic has attracted a lot of posts but your question has already been answered if you would like to refer back. You can apply for a 'downgrade' from VISA to CIRRUS (Mastercard) - allyou seem to lose is the potential for an overdraft facility. If this concerns you, open a second account and just downgrade on that one.

I already have a Visa Debit Card/Account and called in to my local Nationwide last week picked up the application form for the Cash Card account(Cirrus/Maroon coloured Card) and sent it off.I have yet to receive a reply but will post the results here asap.

Edited by barhopper

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Chaimai thanks for that.

Do you hapen to know if I have to "apply" for this downgrade in person at the branch ?..or should I phone them ?..

maybe it can be done online via the website or email.

If its in branch then I'm stuffed cos im not flying 6000 miles to sign a bit of paper :)

edit:

well barhopper seems to confirm it must be done via a paper form ( not online )

Edited by johng

Do you hapen to know if I have to "apply" for this downgrade in person at the branch ?..or should I phone them ?..

If its in branch then I'm stuffed cos im not flying 6000 miles to sign a bit of paper :)

edit:

COPY OF EMAIL MESSAGE SENT TO ME BY NATIONWIDE:-

"We do not offer a Mastercard, however we do offer a cash card FlexAccount which has the Cirrus logo. If you no longer wish to have the VISA Debit card, you can arrange at your local branch to have your account downgraded.

However, I must bring to your attention, that if you were to downgrade your account, you would no longer be able to have an overdraft facility and the card could not be used to make VISA purchases".

No guarantee but you could try posting a letter, or maybe there is an online form you can download. Or, via messaging on Internet Banking ask them how you can do it as you are spend xx months in Thailand....

I was using the ATM card, it was a free service with the bank in the states. So the only charge I got was from the Thai bank if any.

Well, until a few weeks ago, no charges from Thai banks for ATM use. Out of curiosity, what bank have you been getting "free service" from? These are relatively rare -- and just off the top of my head, seem to be brokerages (E*Trade, Fidelity, etc), where they'll eat the fees to keep your (trade) business.

I have two ways I can go I can have my t retirement domne on a dirct deposit Bangkok Bank New York, not transfer fees that way. Then whatever happens here in Thailand.

Have you talked to BB NY about opening an account? As far as I know, they're a commercial operation, thus no retail accounts.

Sorry Jim Imissed that Guaranty Bank in the states, you have to speicficall ask for that type of account to get it and it only applies to international withdrawels. No I have taled with the bank yet in the plans soon.

Guys in Udon haev done it both ways a bank transfer in the states and having their military retirement put directly in the account. That is the info I was given. But I won't know until I really talk to the bank. To easy for things to get misunderstood on the internet.

edit:

"We do not offer a Mastercard, however we do offer a cash card FlexAccount which has the Cirrus logo. If you no longer wish to have the VISA Debit card, you can arrange at your local branch to have your account downgraded.

However, I must bring to your attention, that if you were to downgrade your account, you would no longer be able to have an overdraft facility and the card could not be used to make VISA purchases".

No guarantee but you could try posting a letter, or maybe there is an online form you can download. Or, via messaging on Internet Banking ask them how you can do it as you are spend xx months in Thailand....

Interesting this answer from Nationwide.I have read lots of threads about the ATM charge question on many Thai forums and on one such thread an English guy posted that he had both Visa Debit Card/Account and the Cirrus Cash card/Account.So i was hoping to have both.Time will tell as my application has been sent and now i wait.As i said previously i will post the results of my application asap.

Barhopper.

edit:

Interesting this answer from Nationwide.I have read lots of threads about the ATM charge question on many Thai forums and on one such thread an English guy posted that he had both Visa Debit Card/Account and the Cirrus Cash card/Account.So i was hoping to have both.Time will tell as my application has been sent and now i wait.As i said previously i will post the results of my application asap.

Barhopper.

AT least 2 TV members have posted on here that they both have 3 or 4 accounts, so it seems NW's statement/policy on line can be & is broken after all its money for them, good luck with the application & please keep us posted as to the outcome.

I have a Nationwide card without Visa etc, just the Cirrus. I still get the 150Baht charge at all ATMs except Kasikorn and Ayutthaya at last check (about 2 weeks ago).

Despite reasoning being given that this is Visa charges, the fee is applied to all.

I have a Nationwide card without Visa etc, just the Cirrus. I still get the 150Baht charge at all ATMs except Kasikorn and Ayutthaya at last check (about 2 weeks ago).

Despite reasoning being given that this is Visa charges, the fee is applied to all.

Yes but the whole point of getting and using a Nationwide(cirrus) cash card and using it instead of the visa backed debit card is to avoid the Visa charge(0.84% increasing to 1%) from the Nationwide end of operations.So hopefully using the Kasikorn or Ayudhya ATM's you'll get no charges at both ends.

Edited by barhopper

I told my parents to get a NATIONWIDE card before they travelled to thailand last month (free withdrawals and no fees - so it used to be)

They got blasted 150 baht for each ATM machine withdrawal, they didnt realise it because they were sure the Nationwide was free...

anyways.... the story is folks - ALL good things must end

Nationwide as of June st will be charging people

Thailand will be charging every FARANG with cards from abroad a 150 baht fee no matter what card you use or how much you withdraw up to 20,000 Thb

If you want to withdraw 20,000 THB you need to inform your banks at Home to get the limit increased and inform them that you will be in Thailand

For every 20,000 baht withdrawal you will pay 150 - but you can make as mant withdrawals ammounting 20,000thb as your home bank will allow its daily limit to be

Is the 150thb fee a good thing? absoltely Not

it used to be 20 baht and now ist 150 baht (since when did a 800% increase make sense)

Ofcourse a lot of the more profitable or well off members will say Thailand is still a bargain and cheap as chips...

But it was these very same idiots that came to Thailand throwing excessive tips around and raising Thais expectations and greed that have taught them that they can indeed get away with it and shaft the farangs sensless.

Well done Thailand.... Tourism is down, the baht strong, recession bites, and the banks are hungry for more explotation...

haha...

Cambodia and Laos may well be the next destination for us to head too... why not give it a try guys - Thailand had its wonderland status for far too long...

I use my Nationwide card at Kasikorn & Bank of Ayudhya Free - No 150 Baht Fee.

As from June 1st. Nationwide will charge 1% a fee Visa charge them which is being passed onto the customer. This will happen whichever Foreign land you are in with exception to some in the EU, NW site will lists those.

Edited by Tafia

Dear Member,

Thank you for your message. I confirm that the newly announced charges for overseas withdrawals will only apply for cards issued by Visa - Nationwide Debit Cards, Credit Cards.

For CIRRUS Cash Cards these are operated by MasterCard and will not be introduced the newly announced charge.

So back to the question ...how do we go about getting the CIRRUS Cash Card instead of the Visa debit/credit card

from Nationwide ?

When I opened my account with them I asked for a cash card but they refused saying my credit rating was " too good " ha ha :)

You can write to your branch or head office requesting a downgrade from Visa to a Cirrus debit card, your problem will be how to get the cards as NW are reluctant to post to Thailand. I have already written (at their request) and have a friend whose returning to Thailand soon to collect them on my behalf.

I told my parents to get a NATIONWIDE card before they travelled to thailand last month (free withdrawals and no fees - so it used to be)

They got blasted 150 baht for each ATM machine withdrawal, they didnt realise it because they were sure the Nationwide was free...

anyways.... the story is folks - ALL good things must end

Nationwide as of June st will be charging people

Thailand will be charging every FARANG with cards from abroad a 150 baht fee no matter what card you use or how much you withdraw up to 20,000 Thb

If you want to withdraw 20,000 THB you need to inform your banks at Home to get the limit increased and inform them that you will be in Thailand

For every 20,000 baht withdrawal you will pay 150 - but you can make as mant withdrawals ammounting 20,000thb as your home bank will allow its daily limit to be

Is the 150thb fee a good thing? absoltely Not

it used to be 20 baht and now ist 150 baht (since when did a 800% increase make sense)

Ofcourse a lot of the more profitable or well off members will say Thailand is still a bargain and cheap as chips...

But it was these very same idiots that came to Thailand throwing excessive tips around and raising Thais expectations and greed that have taught them that they can indeed get away with it and shaft the farangs sensless.

Well done Thailand.... Tourism is down, the baht strong, recession bites, and the banks are hungry for more explotation...

haha...

Cambodia and Laos may well be the next destination for us to head too... why not give it a try guys - Thailand had its wonderland status for far too long...

I use my Nationwide card at Kasikorn & Bank of Ayudhya Free - No 150 Baht Fee.

As from June 1st. Nationwide will charge 1% a fee Visa charge them which is being passed onto the customer. This will happen whichever Foreign land you are in.

Yes Nationwide debit card is issued by visa so it will incur the 0.84% charge in June going up to 1% in July.However The Nationwide Cash Card(maroon coloured) is issued by Cirrus therefore should not incur a charge from the Nationwide end of Operations.So as i previously stated if the Kasikorn and Ayudhya ATM's continue not charging the 150 Baht at the terminals then we should still get all round a fee free withdrawal.

Edited by barhopper

When i opened my flexaccount with the cashcard 4 years ago, i already had another flexaccount with the visa debit card. No problems and nothing was said. Maybe its changed but i doubt it.

I'm not to sure the rate of exchange on the cashcard is as good as the debit card. Been searching the net for any info and can't find any.

Edited by neil324

When i opened my flexaccount with the cashcard 4 years ago, i already had another flexaccount with the visa debit card. No problems and nothing was said. Maybe its changed but i doubt it.

I'm not to sure the rate of exchange on the cashcard is as good as the debit card. Been searching the net for any info and can't find any.

Neil i phoned head office(Nationwide) here in the UK(Swindon) this afternoon and talked to a lady who seemed to be able to answer my questions that i put to her quite competently(unlike the lady at the enquiries desk at my local branch).Firstly i asked if you can have both a Debit Card account(Visa) and a Cash card Account(Cirrus).The answer was yes,she even said you can have more than 1 Debit Card account but only 1 Cash Card account.My second question was would i get charged by Nationwide for using a Cirrus issued Cash card(reiterating cirrus has nothing to do with Visa).The answer to that was Yes because all the transactions(both Cash Card and Debit Card go through Visa!!!).I am a bit sceptical in that answer but she did seem to say it with conviction.I'm guessing we won't know the full/real answer to that until June 1st when the charge of 0.84% takes effect(rising to 1% from July 1st).So getting around the charge by Visa(passed on to Nationwide to the customer) looks like a non starter but getting past the charge from the Thai banks might still be feasable.As has been mentioned Kasikorn and Ayudyah are supposedly still not charging the 150 Baht fee but if they do start charging then maybe the way around it would be to go into a branch with your Card and Passport and ask for Cash over the counter.After all isn't the charge an ATM charge?has anyone got any info/experience of doing this and if so is their a charge?

Edited by barhopper

Neil i phoned head office(Nationwide) here in the UK(Swindon) this afternoon and talked to a lady who seemed to be able to answer my questions that i put to her quite competently(unlike the lady at the enquiries desk at my local branch).Firstly i asked if you can have both a Debit Card account(Visa) and a Cash card Account(Cirrus).The answer was yes,she even said you can have more than 1 Debit Card account but only 1 Cash Card account.My second question was would i get charged by Nationwide for using a Cirrus issued Cash card(reiterating cirrus has nothing to do with Visa).The answer to that was Yes because all the transactions(both Cash Card and Debit Card go through Visa!!!).I am a bit sceptical in that answer but she did seem to say it with conviction.I'm guessing we won't know the full/real answer to that until June 1st when the charge of 0.84% takes effect(rising to 1% from July 1st).So getting around the charge by Visa(passed on to Nationwide to the customer) looks like a non starter but getting past the charge from the Thai banks might still be feasable.As has been mentioned Kasikorn and Ayudyah are supposedly still not charging the 150 Baht fee but if they do start charging then maybe the way around it would be to go into a branch with your Card and Passport and ask for Cash over the counter.After all isn't the charge an ATM charge?has anyone got any info/experience of doing this and if so is their a charge?

Maybe they will start charging the cashcard. But it does not go through visa. Even when you use the cards they both appear differently on your statments. The debit cards states the rate of exchange the cashcard does not. The Nationwide website states that the cashcard is not affected by the charges on June 1st but they will be looking at it later.

Perhaps the owners of this website, other Farang websites, the Bangkok Post, The Nation, all regional newspapers for Farang etc etc could offer free advertising to Kasikorn and Ayutthaya whilst they continue to offer free ATM withdrawals for foreign ATM cards.

I currently have two Thai bank accounts, one with BKK and one with Krung Thai. Unfotunately, my employer will only pay into BKK accounts so I have to keep that one open, but the Krung Thai account, which I use for my fairly unsubstantial savings, is being closed shortly along with a strongly worded letter to head office regarding withdrawal charges on foreign cards. I'll be opening an account with Ayutthaya along with a strongly worded letter to their head office in support of their decision to at least defer implementing this extraordinary charge.

If these last two banks impose the charge, I may well go for direct action. Maybe we could all get together and take over government house, seems to be the Thai way to do these things.

Maybe they will start charging the cashcard. But it does not go through visa. Even when you use the cards they both appear differently on your statments. The debit cards states the rate of exchange the cashcard does not. The Nationwide website states that the cashcard is not affected by the charges on June 1st but they will be looking at it later.

Thanks for that Neil but where on the Nationwide website does it state that the Cash card is not affected by the charges(Via Visa)?I've searched but couldn't find it?Any chance of posting the link on here?If they do start charging for the Cirrus backed Cash Card the same as Visa backed Debit Card then that goes against all the what seems a 'pre rehearsed statement ' you get from staff at their branches and offices that make sure you know that it is Visa that is passing on the charge and not The Nationwide and they previously 'swallowed' the charge on behalf of customers but now during the economic woes have unfortunately got to pass it on to Members/customers of the building Society.

We're all still out here, LM...same as before... Just I have no personal stake in the NW discussion, though others certainly do..

Kasikorn, Ayudhya and Government Savings Bank remain ATM fee free... Use their ATMs...

Unless you want to get nicked for 150 baht per withdrawal from the other major Thai banks (BKK Bank, SCB, and the rest), courtesy of the Thai Bankers Assn.

Not that anyone is paying attention anymore since this thread has turned into The Nationwide Bank thread

Kasikorn Bank still ATM fee free, 34.90 Baht per 1 USD, Saturday evening 9 May (34.50 on Exchange booth sign)

I see there's no sarcastic comments from the Brits when E Trade & other US banks are discussed, i think this as to be more than a i've been to the ATM today thread i think there's many on here that have learnt a lot from this thread including myself & that is what Thai visa was set up for to share information.

We're all still out here, LM...same as before... Just I have no personal stake in the NW discussion, though others certainly do..

Kasikorn, Ayudhya and Government Savings Bank remain ATM fee free... Use their ATMs...

Unless you want to get nicked for 150 baht per withdrawal from the other major Thai banks (BKK Bank, SCB, and the rest), courtesy of the Thai Bankers Assn.

Fair comment. Likewise, I skirted over the US card debate - nevertheless I recognise the validity of the discussion for those USA card holders.

This topic - which has now amassed 750 contributions - has been extremely valuable and I repeat, we will most likely finish up with a pinned item about the "best" card/bank for each country.

I use Capital One from the US and for the past 18 months have always gotten a great rate and no fees from either the US or Thai side (OK, maybe 20 baht). However, today for the first time my Ayudhya Bank ATM receipt showed a rate of 33.44 off of a 10,000 baht withdrawal. That's about 1.40 baht under what I was expecting and it comes out to an almost 400 baht surcharge ($12). I'd prefer the flat 150 baht charge to this crap.

P5101823.jpg

Edited by koheesti

I use Capital One from the US and for the past 18 months have always gotten a great rate and no fees from either the US or Thai side (OK, maybe 20 baht). However, today for the first time my Ayudhya Bank ATM receipt showed a rate of 33.44 off of a 10,000 baht withdrawal. That's about 1.40 baht under what I was expecting and it comes out to an almost 400 baht surcharge ($12). I'd prefer the flat 150 baht charge to this crap.

P5101823.jpg

This must be the effect of this DCC that Ayudaya ATM''s have started to use as mentioned in this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bank-Ayudhya...en-t262839.html

Note this does not seem to effect us Brits just trying to assist you Yanks here.

I believe at least part of what's occurring there, based on the receipt, is a predictable credit card surcharge of 3% for a credit card-based cash advance.

Note the ending language... "including a hedging margin not exceeding 3%"

I believe at least part of what's occurring there, based on the receipt, is a predictable credit card surcharge of 3% for a credit card-based cash advance.

That's right, but Capital One is one of those cards that doesn't charge the standard 2-3% for foreign currency transactions. It looks like the Thais are just adding it on for themselves.