Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

No K, you misunderstood what I said....

I wasn't talking about a foreign currency fee. You are correct, Capital One does NOT charge foreign currency exchange fees when you use their credit card for purchases outside the U.S. That makes it a great credit card to use in Thailand for purchases.

However, I was talking about a regular cash advance fee of 3% of the amount of money withdrawn from an ATM machine using a Capital One credit card, regardless of whether in a foreign country or in the U.S. They DO charge a cash advance fee, since it is a credit card, not a debit/ATM card.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Capital One from the US and for the past 18 months have always gotten a great rate and no fees from either the US or Thai side (OK, maybe 20 baht). However, today for the first time my Ayudhya Bank ATM receipt showed a rate of 33.44 off of a 10,000 baht withdrawal. That's about 1.40 baht under what I was expecting and it comes out to an almost 400 baht surcharge ($12). I'd prefer the flat 150 baht charge to this crap.

You are aware the dollar has been weakening against the baht - right?

tb.jpg

Bank of Ayudhya ATM asked me if I would accept a 33.44 exchange rate (USD) tonight. I walked across the street to a Kasikorn ATM and got 34.89. That's a pretty significant difference! I saved 831 baht by walking across the street. Are they always that different?

Bank of Ayudhya ATM asked me if I would accept a 33.44 exchange rate (USD) tonight. I walked across the street to a Kasikorn ATM and got 34.89. That's a pretty significant difference! I saved 831 baht by walking across the street. Are they always that different?

This must now confirm this DCC charge by Ayudhya they are now worst than the rest of the banks for you Dollar & Euro guys as they seem to be more than doubling the 150 baht fee with there new Dynamic conversion BS.

Any Brits used Ayudhya this last few days? It appears is does not involve the pound at this time can anyone confirm please.

This must now confirm this DCC charge by Ayudhya they are now worst than the rest of the banks for you Dollar & Euro guys as they seem to be more than doubling the 150 baht fee with there new Dynamic conversion BS.

Any Brits used Ayudhya this last few days? It appears is does not involve the pound at this time can anyone confirm please.

Maybe Kasikorn is just slow to drop it's exchange rate since it's still Sunday.

As far as I understand it , Ayudhya bank signs indicated that DCC would apply to Mastercard only.

The sign on the ATMs indicates that DCC will apply to $US and Euro only.

Today( Monday), is ANOTHER holiday, I think - so their will be no update of the FX rates on the banks" websites.

Edited by loong

I use Capital One from the US and for the past 18 months have always gotten a great rate and no fees from either the US or Thai side (OK, maybe 20 baht). However, today for the first time my Ayudhya Bank ATM receipt showed a rate of 33.44 off of a 10,000 baht withdrawal. That's about 1.40 baht under what I was expecting and it comes out to an almost 400 baht surcharge ($12). I'd prefer the flat 150 baht charge to this crap.

You are aware the dollar has been weakening against the baht - right?

Yes, I monitor it daily. For all the time I've been here Capital One has always given me as good as the published rates (I even logged all ATM transactions in excel my 1st six months here). So in this case, if the rate was 34.75, I would expect very close to 34.75, NOT 1.31 lower at 33.44.

My Cap One is a Mastercard so Ayudhya Bank has seen the last of me.

11/May 11:00 am at a Kasikorn ATM at a 7-11 in Nongbulampoo using a Capital One ATM > NO FEE and Exchange rate of 34.91

Great. I hate their ATMs. Whenever I put my Cap One card in I would get an immediate "session timed out" message and it would spit out my card. I guess it's time to try again. :)

11/May 11:00 am at a Kasikorn ATM at a 7-11 in Nongbulampoo using a Capital One ATM > NO FEE and Exchange rate of 34.91

Great. I hate their ATMs. Whenever I put my Cap One card in I would get an immediate "session timed out" message and it would spit out my card. I guess it's time to try again. :)

After using a Kasikorn ATM, I checked my online Bank statement and found out they are referred to as 'Thai Farmers Bank'. Up the farmers I say!

Yep Thai Farmers 34.90 1300 hours today

While SCB is sjhowing a rate of 34.10. To add insult to injurym because most of the bamks did well in the test. risk avcersion has faded so more currency back into Thailand markets. Baht went up like a rocket.

That 34.10 rate will include your 150 baht surcharge.

This is nuts charging more to bring money here to spend it here and the banks wonder why we are upset.

The banks are defending themselves saying it is a normal fee world wide. I don't know about you guys but never paid $4.29 for an ATM transaction. The common fee in the states is $1.00 I would be more then happy to pay that. But they are just forcing me to change the way I bring money in and I will be right back to zero. Any of us can do it. So who is the real target the inexperienced. IE Tourist they spend billions of baht trying to get them here then shaft then from the first point they get the money much less get double charged. Great plan. Should get a wonderful reputation. That great deal for sex tourist wonl be great when costing a hundred buck or more.

I was planning on paying the house off this year, but not at these rates to expensive I will wait.

ray23

You seem to be saying that SCB is 'hiding' the 150B fee in the exchange rate. This goes against the original introduction of the fee in which it was stated that ATM users would be (and were) warned about the 150 Baht fee prior to any withdrawal.

Do you have any hard evidence for this such as an ATM slip or is this just speculation on your part?

Thanks

There not hiding it to my knowledge you will get the warning, However if they list as an additional fee it will be rejected by the card company. So it is incorporated into the rate of exchange for payment, then it' not questioned and it is paid. as you will recall my first 150 Baht charge was cedited back to my account no anymore. Not listed a a sepearte charge om my internet ledger any lomger as a seperate fee.

Is that more understandable?

Ray, I stopped using SCB for ATM withdrawals after they began charging the 20 baht fee, and of course, have not returned since they later upped the fee to 150 baht per withdrawal.

When SCB had the 20 baht fee, it was listed separately as a fee on their paper ATM withdrawal slips. What's happening now with the 150 baht fee, in terms of the paper receipt the ATM machine prints with your withdrawal?

The paper receipt is showing a 150 baht fee as a separate item apart from your withdrawal, or it's only showing your withdrawal amount, given at a reduced exchange rate???

OK, i know this may sound petty, cheap charlie-ish and all points inbetween, but isnt it time we considered the part AFTER the decimal point in all these conversions?

OK, the spread might not be THAT high.........in the region of 30 Satang or so per unit of currency exchanged, but multiply the 30 Satang by the maximum withdrawal limit and you are getting up towards 12-150 Baht. This could be ON TOP of the 150 Baht already levied, or, at best instead of, in the case of Kasikorn and the other so called "farang friendly" banks not imposing the charge. In other words you COULD be paying nearly 300 baht to pull 20,000 out of an ATM

Food for thought, perhaps????

Penkoprod

I joined in on Kasikorn group in hte balance of the month, Got good exchange rates as far as I can tell When SCB was ay 34.10 I got 34.90. Yuo could be right but I don't see it.

I joined in on Kasikorn group in hte balance of the month, Got good exchange rates as far as I can tell When SCB was ay 34.10 I got 34.90. Yuo could be right but I don't see it.

Well, if i am reading what you are saying correctly,what you are saying illustrates my point. You got 80 Satangs per unit more in one bank than you could have done with another?

Come to think of it thats both one hel_l of a spread and out and out banditry from them

Penkoprod

I had Kasikorn ATM withdrawal about noon today/Tues., using a U.S. MC logo debit card.

No ATM fee of course. Exchange rate 34.72.

Interesting ...

I had a Kasikorn withdrawal at a ATM at the branch ATM in City Center

(using that description loosely) withdrawal at 12:36pm > today >12/May

NO FEE

But and this made me check and double check the rate was 34.4699949104 using Capital One M/M ATM

Ray, I stopped using SCB for ATM withdrawals after they began charging the 20 baht fee, and of course, have not returned since they later upped the fee to 150 baht per withdrawal.

When SCB had the 20 baht fee, it was listed separately as a fee on their paper ATM withdrawal slips. What's happening now with the 150 baht fee, in terms of the paper receipt the ATM machine prints with your withdrawal?

The paper receipt is showing a 150 baht fee as a separate item apart from your withdrawal, or it's only showing your withdrawal amount, given at a reduced exchange rate???

I did a SCB withdrawal on April 18th and the receipt shows the 150 baht fee separately. Fidelity did not refund the fee so it's apparently not coded as an ATM fee, but lumped into the amount.

That message usually means that your card has been 'temporarily blocked' by your card provider.

[i did a SCB withdrawal on April 18th and the receipt shows the 150 baht fee separately. Fidelity did not refund the fee so it's apparently not coded as an ATM fee, but lumped into the amount.

That's strange.. You might think, if the fee is listed out separately on your paper atm receipt, then it would also show up separately when the charge is posted to your home bank, and you check/see the transaction listed in your online banking.... How did it post in your online banking account???

But I know it doesn't always work that way... back in the early days when scb was doing their 20 baht fee...my receipt showed the fee separately the first time, but it wasn't shown separately when it surfaced in my online banking account...

However, my home bank advised that in those situations, if there was really an atm fee and I had the receipt to show it, I could send them the atm receipt or receipts and they would reimburse based on those... (I never again used an SCB atm after that, so it didn't matter for me. but if I had needed to do that, mailing atm receipts back to the U.s. might be as expensive as the atm fee itself, unless you save them up and mail in batches.

I had Kasikorn ATM withdrawal about noon today/Tues., using a U.S. MC logo debit card.

No ATM fee of course. Exchange rate 34.72.

Interesting ...

I had a Kasikorn withdrawal at a ATM at the branch ATM in City Center

(using that description loosely) withdrawal at 12:36pm > today >12/May

NO FEE

But and this made me check and double check the rate was 34.4699949104 using Capital One M/M ATM

jgm, I don't know how to explain that... My Kasikorn withdrawal was in bkK at 12:20 pm Tues...almost the identical time as yours. Mine was in central bkk, but you're upcountry...though that shouldn't make any difference in terms of rates.

I know Cap One doesn't charge any foreign currency fee/cut on their credit cards. but I don't know if they have that same policy re their bank account debit cards. The difference between your rate and mine seems almost about 1% of 34 baht.. ie.... .34 baht... I know my home U.S. bank does not charge me any foreign currency fee when using their debit card here, though MC does take their 1%n cut out of the exchange rate.

A relative from Isaan told me today that he tried our NW Visa ATM card in local branches of both BAAC (Yang Talad) and Kasikorn (Big C Sarakham) and both ATMs came up with the message advising a 150 baht fee would be imposed. I don't know whether to believe this given what other posts say (perhaps he somehow passed on a garbled message). My relative's version is that a hike around all the local banks found that all the ATMs had the same fee. His story is that he went inside BAAC and inquired about the position and was told it was now general. Can anybody else confirm the position either way?

As I mentioned above, I did a Kasikorn atm withdrawal in bKK at midday on tuesday, and am absolutely clear there was no atm fee charged today, or any time previously by Kasikorn. As for the future...no one knows....