Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

chears both of you :) for clearing that up

hey guys i dont know if this is any use, but years ago i was buying something online once and the bussiness asked us to fund e-gold with london gold exchange, transfer the e-gold currency from ours to their account then they would tell their e-gold when to transfer the e-gold into money for them when ever they want or when the price of gold was good. maybe they will transfer money to thai banks?

sorry for edit 4 40 am here: sorry if its garbage, its probably usless!

Edited by comethailandlewlew

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the new game now is "how far out of the way I go to save 150THB"! :)

Of course, we expect smart TV shoppers to travel 100K and spend 200baht plus time to save 150baht. :D

But seriously, a TVer who is NOT near the 2 "fee free" cash providers but happen to be at a shopping mall or in town, and knows the location of a GSB or Aeon ATM machine, could save the 150baht.

But what the heck, it's only a miserly 150baht. :D

By my count, the 150 baht ATM fee is the price of a happy hour glass of wine at the Robin Hood Pub, plus a tip if desired... 120 baht for the wine... Or the price of two bottles of San Miguel... 60 baht a piece, plus a tip...

So, the way I look at it...every time I use a GSB or AEON ATM and pay no fee, I've saved myself the price of a nice glass of wine or two bottles of beer at a nearby pub... Or, for those so not inclined, four orders of nam tok moo at the local Thai food shop... 35-40 baht a piece....

How you gonna argue with that??? :)

Hi im British, Can someone help me understand, i opened up a natwest because of some advice i read here, it says cash card on the front, no where on the card does it say VISA :) its cirrus which is mastercard network so someone on these board said yet nearly everytime i see nationwide mentioned people are calling it visa debit card

It sounds like you are getting Natwest mixed up with Nationwide.With Nationwide their are 2 cards.One is a Visa Debit Card which has the Visa logo on which is affiliated to a current account with overdraft and online and retail purchasing facilities,this is the card that has a 0.84% fee passed on to Nationwide by Visa who then passes it onto the customer.The other Card is the Nationwide Cash Card which is run by a different provider(Cirrus)and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). The Cash Card Account is a Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria.At the moment the Nationwide Cirrus Cash Card does not have a charge for withdrawals.Getting back to Natwest their Cash card is one to avoid.The following advice was given on Martin Lewis's excellent UK Web-site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/trav...-holiday-spendi

Don't use Abbey, Halifax, Lloyds, RBS/Natwest DEBIT cards abroad. These five debit (not credit) cards are the real nasties. Like most plastic, they add 3% to the cost of your purchases and charge for cash withdrawals. Yet these also charge up to £1.50 per transaction. For example buy something for £5 worth of euros, and you pay £6.65.

Hope this info helps

Nationwide Cash Card(Cirrus) http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_accoun...ard_account.htm

Regards, Barhopper

Edited by barhopper

yeah i got a nationwide cirrus one and a barclays visa debit connect which is chip n pin, i thought the nationwide one looked a bit basic. so what about HSBC or barclays.

the main reason i dont wanna pay the 150 bhat is on the princible that, I'm told to act sencible whilst in a foreign country by most people giving me travel advice, i dont normaly make a habbit of walking around with £200 in England let alone £200 worth of foriegn money in my pocket abroad. (i dont see why i should have to when its all done electronicly these days) Yet im forced to think its prudent to withdraw large amounts of money and adopting a style of reckless behavior that id like to avoid. I'm sure some people dont always have the luxuary of a safty deposit box, are meeting new people and are trying to relax and build trust with them.

I just wanna be able to act sencible and withdraw as much as i need for the day or two ahead. im doing something new and exciting and i could do without the bother of worrying about money whilst on holiday, thats what banks are for.

yeah i got a nationwide cirrus one and a barclays visa debit connect which is chip n pin, i thought the nationwide one looked a bit basic. so what about HSBC or barclays.

the main reason i dont wanna pay the 150 bhat is on the princible that, I'm told to act sencible whilst in a foreign country by most people giving me travel advice, i dont normaly make a habbit of walking around with £200 in England let alone £200 worth of foriegn money in my pocket abroad. (i dont see why i should have to when its all done electronicly these days) Yet im forced to think its prudent to withdraw large amounts of money and adopting a style of reckless behavior that id like to avoid. I'm sure some people dont always have the luxuary of a safty deposit box, are meeting new people and are trying to relax and build trust with them.

I just wanna be able to act sencible and withdraw as much as i need for the day or two ahead. im doing something new and exciting and i could do without the bother of worrying about money whilst on holiday, thats what banks are for.

Just check out the link(money saving expert) in my last post on this thread they should have the relevant info you're looking for.The general consensus though is that for Brits The Nationwide Visa Debit or The Nationwide Cash card(Cirrus) are the best cards to use for withdrawing cash at ATM's.

I'd say that's a darned sensible outlook expressed below... I'd say...it's foolish to let a bank ATM fee goad someone into carrying around all day 20 or 30,000 baht in their pocket, when they don't need to. Find a bank card that doesn't rip you off, and withdraw your funds as you need them. The same debit card, of course, you can use for routine small purchases like restaurants and even grocery stores in Thailand's tourist areas, as well as hotels if you haven't prepaid for those....though 7/11 stores for some reason don't take them.

I used the Government Savings Bank (GSB) ATM at Suknumvit Soi 48 on September 4 to withdraw Thai baht. No mention of 150 baht fee on ATM.

The conversion rate I received on my withdrawal was 33.70 baht to the USD.

On September 4, Oanda showed the interbank rate conversion rate to be 33.14. The Kasikorn TT rate was 33.19.

It's normal that banks give lower conversion rates on international ATM withdrawals than published Oanda interbank and bank TT rates, but I have no way of knowing if the GSB ATM conversion rate is comparable to other bank ATM conversion rates. I know it might also depend on which USA bank I have my account at.

I used the Government Savings Bank (GSB) ATM at Suknumvit Soi 48 on September 4 to withdraw Thai baht. No mention of 150 baht fee on ATM.

On September 4, Oanda showed the interbank rate conversion rate to be 33.14. The Kasikorn TT rate was 33.19.

It's normal that banks give lower conversion rates on international ATM withdrawals than published Oanda interbank and bank TT rates, but I have no way of knowing if the GSB ATM conversion rate is comparable to other bank ATM conversion rates. I know it might also depend on which USA bank I have my account at.

Did anyone else withdraw USD from a Thai bank on September 4? Might be interesting to compare conversion rates applied.

Edited by shotover

Oanda showed the interbank rate conversion rate to be 33.14. The Kasikorn TT rate was 33.19.

Oanda was showing IER of 34.14 on Sep 4, not 33.14. And while I can't find Kasikorn online, Bangkok Bank was showing a buying TT rate of 33.94 -- Kasikorn (and all Thai banks) would be showing in the same ballpark. A 33.19 buying rate at Kasikorn doesn't compute (the selling TT rate was 34.19 -- did you drop a baht here also?).

Using the X-rate IER for 4 Sep of 34.07, you lost about 1% on the deal, which is par for many cards that pass on the foreign transaction fee levied by Visa and MC.

It's normal that banks give lower conversion rates on international ATM withdrawals than published Oanda interbank and bank TT rates,

I assume you're talking about the banks who own the ATM machines..... These banks don't establish conversion rates, unless 'dynamic currrency conversion' is involved. Otherwise, it's your issuing bank that determines the exchange rate, to include whether or not it passes on the network's foreign transaction fee.

Good responses Jim... I think the poster was mistaken in his numbers on Kasikorn...

There was no 33.19 rate for that day... But there was a 34.19 SELLING rate for dollars...which of course is irrelevant for ATM transactions, which are more related to the bank's Buying TT rate, in terms of rates the banks post on their web sites. Although as you said, most Thai banks don't set their own ATM exchange rates... It's the VISA/MC networks that do....

Here's the link to Kasikorn Bank's exchange rates page...

Oanda showed the interbank rate conversion rate to be 33.14. The Kasikorn TT rate was 33.19.

Oanda was showing IER of 34.14 on Sep 4, not 33.14. And while I can't find Kasikorn online, Bangkok Bank was showing a buying TT rate of 33.94 -- Kasikorn (and all Thai banks) would be showing in the same ballpark. A 33.19 buying rate at Kasikorn doesn't compute (the selling TT rate was 34.19 -- did you drop a baht here also?).

Using the X-rate IER for 4 Sep of 34.07, you lost about 1% on the deal, which is par for many cards that pass on the foreign transaction fee levied by Visa and MC.

It's normal that banks give lower conversion rates on international ATM withdrawals than published Oanda interbank and bank TT rates,

I assume you're talking about the banks who own the ATM machines..... These banks don't establish conversion rates, unless 'dynamic currrency conversion' is involved. Otherwise, it's your issuing bank that determines the exchange rate, to include whether or not it passes on the network's foreign transaction fee.

JG, you are right. Kasikorn TT selling rate was 34.14; typo on my part. And the Kasikorn telex buying rate was 33.94 for September 4.

About a 1% difference on conversion rates is consistent with past exchanges.

I withdrew money from GSB yesterday (Sept 4) using my Fidelity VISA DC and got 34.0426 which was 99.91% of that day's xrate IER.

Sorry to hear that. And all along I'd thought Fidelity was a stand up operation........ :)

yeah, I am sooooo disappointed that I am looking for a new debit card that will give me at least 150% of the daily IER but I'll never share that find with you guys cause there 'd be a stampede to get it. :D

Someone asked a while back about whether there are any AEON ATMs at Survarnabhumi Airport...

I've never noticed one there, but of course, the place is huge... So, until someone can be more definitive, all I can say is... the AEON web site directory for ATMs lists very few in the Samut Prakan area, and none of those listed are at Suvarnabhumi...

There are, however, several listed in the area of Don Muang, including one at DM Airport itself... You'd wonder if AEON would not relocate that ATM at some point to the new airport.

The AEON ATM at Pattaya Tesco-south, on the 2nd floor near the food-court, has vanished. Replaced by a promo booth.

I couldn't find anyone who could understand what I was asking about, so it may or may not still be somewhere within Tesco.

If anyone locates it, please post the location here. Thanks!

Sorry, but you're still not being quite clear...

Your GF was using a HK-based HSBC account (denom in HK dollars) with a HSBC card issued in Thailand, and she got no fee... That's interesting, in that an out-of-country (non-Thailand) HSBC account and card would be expected to get the 150 baht fee...

But...you went to the same UOB ATM...and tried to use what banks' account and what kind of card??

I know we probably won't ever get to the bottom of this, but sth else happened at that same ATM. First, to answer your question (sorry for not being clear)...you are correct:

1) GF was using HK-based HSBC account (HKD) with an HSBC card issued in Thailand = no 150 baht fee.

2) I then went 3 hours later to use a BofA VISA Debit Card at the same location and was offered the fee.

The location is the Sathorn/Narathiwat UOB Bank.

What happened next was I decided to stomach the fee and returned the next day to the machine...which no longer accepts my card. It tells me my Bank of America denied. Bank of America shows no record of anything whatsoever for the past several weeks. So now I'm off to find another ATM where I can take out the 30k UOB used to offer with or without the fee....as evth in the banking world seems to be going to <deleted>.

That's a strange account, re the BofA card and being locked out...

I've been a Bank of America customer in the past. They're terrible in terms of very high fees for both using their debit cards and credit cards abroad... But in years of using a BofA debit card in Thailand back when I was a tourist, I never had any problem about my debit/ATM card being denied or locked.

That's not the case with credit cards. A lot of U.S. credit card companies will place a hold/freeze on your U.S. credit card if they suddenly see international charges from Thailand showing up -- unless you notify them beforehand that you'll be traveling/living abroad.

I just noticed/spotted the AEON ATM at the Carrefour store mall at On Nut today... It is located on the first floor, but not really inside the mall... Rather, it's located along with a group of other banks' ATMS, located along a wall just outside the entrance between the mall and the indoor parking area...

So if you had parked your car inside the complex, and they were walking from the parking to inside, you'd see the ATM on the wall just before you go into the entrance into the mall.

Just used AeON bank ATM @ central festival shopping mall in Phuket , using nationwide cirrus cash card , withdrew 2,000baht , debited from a/c £35.64 , (56.11/£1) no 150Baht withdrawal fee.

This was at 15:00 today.

Sorry I am just back from Bangkok and our main PC broke down with a graphics card failure on return to the UK, so I cannot be exact.

The Bangkok Bank ATM machine at Central in Chidlom (BTS Chit Lom) advised that there would be a 150 THB fee for the fast cash 10,000 withdrawal from my UK Nationwide account (which is visa not cirrus), and not my Bangkok Bank account, for a similar withdrawal - completely separate issue - and no charge.

At this time until I fix my PC I cannot confirm the international charges that apply, but suspect the Nationwide on passing of charges have now kicked in.

Edited by pkrv

That's a strange account, re the BofA card and being locked out...

I've been a Bank of America customer in the past. They're terrible in terms of very high fees for both using their debit cards and credit cards abroad... But in years of using a BofA debit card in Thailand back when I was a tourist, I never had any problem about my debit/ATM card being denied or locked.

That's not the case with credit cards. A lot of U.S. credit card companies will place a hold/freeze on your U.S. credit card if they suddenly see international charges from Thailand showing up -- unless you notify them beforehand that you'll be traveling/living abroad.

I've had some success recently with having BofA refund my fees, so I was doing that. I still wanted to use UOB since it lets you withdraw 30k at a time which is both convenient and cheaper, if I have to pay this 150. But now I have tried 2 separate locations and it is clear that my card no longer works at UOB. (It does work at K-bank). I was wondering why. I asked a teller but I was told to use a different bank.

Is this a general problem for people or did I get personally locked out for some reason? Would a bank go to that trouble?

My card was accepted at this bank up through July 20ish and it has a "visa" on the front and the word "debit" but none of the bank groupings like cirrus or anything on the back.

Any ideas?

My Bank of America debit card, issued in California, had three different logos on the reverse side: Interlink, STAR and PLUS... I believe they called it, VISA Platinum Debit Card.

My card was accepted at this bank up through July 20ish and it has a "visa" on the front and the word "debit" but none of the bank groupings like cirrus or anything on the back.

My Bank of America debit card, issued in California, had three different logos on the reverse side: Interlink, STAR and PLUS... I believe they called it, VISA Platinum Debit Card.

Since you've had some experience with what I'm doing, was curious how you're personally getting money. I've read the options, including wire transfers, interbank exchange with Bangkok Bank, and cashing checks.

With the accts I have in States now, the fees for wire transfers start at $25-$45. So unless I'm wiring upwards of 4k, this isn't going to be very cheap. The Bangkok Bank thing, where you transfer to their NY location with no fee and Bangkok Bank charges you 500 Baht to get it here, sounded reasonable. But do I need a work permit to open an account with Bangkok Bank? I have an account with Kasikorn, but I only have a non-Imm O. Cashing checks doesn't seem practical.

Which are you using and what does it end up in fees? Getting BofA to waive fees, I was actually getting my money at face value. This was probably to good to expect it to last.

Since you've had some experience with what I'm doing, was curious how you're personally getting money. I've read the options, including wire transfers, interbank exchange with Bangkok Bank, and cashing checks.

Although I have had no need to try this, a few folks here have withdrawn a large sum of money without a fee by going to a bank cashier with passport and debit card. I believe SCB is one bank that allows it. There may be others. Try searching for the threads.

Although I have had no need to try this, a few folks here have withdrawn a large sum of money without a fee by going to a bank cashier with passport and debit card. I believe SCB is one bank that allows it. There may be others. Try searching for the threads.

Yes i'm sure this question has had a response on here (TV) before,but i too can't find any info in a search.I would imagine being as the extortionate 150 Baht per transaction fee is classed as an ATM fee then withdrawing over the counter in theory should avoid paying the fee(but maybe in practice it's a different story).I hope any BM's who have done a counter withdrawal inside the Bank with his/her ATM Card can respond to the question.

Regards, Barhopper

Yes i'm sure this question has had a response on here (TV) before,but i too can't find any info in a search.I would imagine being as the extortionate 150 Baht per transaction fee is classed as an ATM fee then withdrawing over the counter in theory should avoid paying the fee(but maybe in practice it's a different story).I hope any BM's who have done a counter withdrawal inside the Bank with his/her ATM Card can respond to the question.

Regards, Barhopper

Here is a few I found.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Uob-Charging...tm-t294738.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Us-Banks-Tha...l&p=2993150

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...tml&st=1600

The AEON ATM at Pattaya Tesco-south, on the 2nd floor near the food-court, has vanished. Replaced by a promo booth.

I couldn't find anyone who could understand what I was asking about, so it may or may not still be somewhere within Tesco.

If anyone locates it, please post the location here. Thanks!

Surf is correct,: I was there last week and could find no AEON Bank ATM...

There is an Aeon ATM machine just inside the Jusco Supermarket on Sukhumvit 71, between Sois Pridi 12 and 14, in the Bangkok Phrakanong area. Jusco is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. The message on this Aeon ATM said specifically they do not charge the 150 baht surcharge for foreign bank cards, and they accept Visa, MC, Plus, Cirrus, and some other cards.