Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

Here is an example of a tranaction carried out at a Bangkok Bank with a debit card on an

Australian bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA).

CBA uses the cirrus transfer system when used in an ATM

This is how the amounts were shown on the bank statement.

06 Jan BANGKOK BANK TH THB10000.00 407.70

06 Jan NON CBA ATM WDL FEE 13.15

Have a look at your statement. Amounts are in AUD in this case.

After 17 April 2009

If you are charged a withdrawal fee by a Thai Bank and none by your own bank the amounts might look like this.

Date. Bank name TH THB 10000.00

Date Foreign ATM fee THB 150.00

or it might show up on your statement as THB10150.00

If you are charged by your own bank you should not be charged by the Thai bank.

However if you are not charged by your own bank you may well be charged by the Thai bank

Edited by david96

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Betchya that 99% of you don't move from Thailand because of this. And that is why the banks are doing this: Cause they know your addictions to the 'attractions' of Thailand will mean you stay here.

The tourism market collapsing? Hardly. People on holiday expect this kind of stuff as a matter of course these days.

Good thing for Thailand overall, bringing more FX, not less.

Betchya the majority of us who live here will use wire transfers and THAI Banks won't get a cent out of it

Betchya as soon as the word get's out to Tourists they will start bringing Travellers Checks, THAI Banks won't get a cent out of it AND WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PROCESSING of the paper checks

Any more Betchya's !!!

Agree and disagree:

1) Agree: Wire transfers are the way to go. Incentive has been created to use them now. Previously it wasn't always the case for smaller amounts

2) Disagree: Travellers checques are going the way of the landline phone. Useful and cheaper in theory, but most of us just use our more expensive mobiles, to call others on their mobile who are also sitting next to land lines. In otherwords, ATM's are convineient, and people will continue to pay for the convinience, despite the cost.

Face it, wherever you go, travellers get ripped off when it comes to this kind of stuff. Either there are fees, or if there are no fee's you get a lousy exchange rate under the pretence of no fee's. When there is ineleastic demand, the banks are going to screw you. And no, Thailand's competition legislation isn't up to the task on managing this. The legislation has a dodgy definition for what a 'market' is. And if you can't decide what a market is, then you can't determine if there is anti-cometitive behaviour going on.

Betchya that 99% of you don't move from Thailand because of this. And that is why the banks are doing this: Cause they know your addictions to the 'attractions' of Thailand will mean you stay here.

The tourism market collapsing? Hardly. People on holiday expect this kind of stuff as a matter of course these days.

Good thing for Thailand overall, bringing more FX, not less.

Betchya the majority of us who live here will use wire transfers and THAI Banks won't get a cent out of it

Betchya as soon as the word get's out to Tourists they will start bringing Travellers Checks, THAI Banks won't get a cent out of it AND WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PROCESSING of the paper checks

Any more Betchya's !!!

Agree and disagree:

1) Agree: Wire transfers are the way to go. Incentive has been created to use them now. Previously it wasn't always the case for smaller amounts

2) Disagree: Travellers checques are going the way of the landline phone. Useful and cheaper in theory, but most of us just use our more expensive mobiles, to call others on their mobile who are also sitting next to land lines. In otherwords, ATM's are convineient, and people will continue to pay for the convinience, despite the cost.

Face it, wherever you go, travellers get ripped off when it comes to this kind of stuff. Either there are fees, or if there are no fee's you get a lousy exchange rate under the pretence of no fee's. When there is ineleastic demand, the banks are going to screw you. And no, Thailand's competition legislation isn't up to the task on managing this. The legislation has a dodgy definition for what a 'market' is. And if you can't decide what a market is, then you can't determine if there is anti-cometitive behaviour going on.

I have travelled the world and Thailand will be the first and (so far as I know) only country to charge such an excessive fee.

Will I move from Thailand? No, because I don't live there right now as it is. This fee affects me because my in-laws currently make monthly withdrawals from a US account that we have set up for them. It provides us with control over the funds. Now I have to consider other ways of either limiting or avoiding this fee. Sending large amounts via wire transfer to our Thai bank account may have to be the solution, but then we will have less control over potential excessive spending on their part. Maybe we will set up a second account like I do with our US bank and transfer funds between the first and second account. Then we can make less frequent deposits into the first account and monthly online transfers to the second account.

Will tourists stop visiting Thailand because of this fee? I don't know, but it could be yet another issue that drives businesses away from setting up operations in Bangkok. Our company (for other similar reasons) has already decided to set up an office in Kuala Lumpur instead of Bangkok.

I will still travel to Thailand since it is where my wife's family is from. I am however considering using traveler's checks because with my AAA (American Automobile Association) membership I can get them without paying any fee. I don't know if the exchange rate with them is better or worse than with ATM withdrawals and I do remember having to pay a per check fee when exchanging them. I used them when I brought money over to pay the sin sod at our Thai wedding.

I have travelled the world and Thailand will be the first and (so far as I know) only country to charge such an excessive fee.

Will I move from Thailand? No, because I don't live there right now as it is. This fee affects me because my in-laws currently make monthly withdrawals from a US account that we have set up for them. It provides us with control over the funds. Now I have to consider other ways of either limiting or avoiding this fee. Sending large amounts via wire transfer to our Thai bank account may have to be the solution, but then we will have less control over potential excessive spending on their part. Maybe we will set up a second account like I do with our US bank and transfer funds between the first and second account. Then we can make less frequent deposits into the first account and monthly online transfers to the second account.

Will tourists stop visiting Thailand because of this fee? I don't know, but it could be yet another issue that drives businesses away from setting up operations in Bangkok. Our company (for other similar reasons) has already decided to set up an office in Kuala Lumpur instead of Bangkok.

I will still travel to Thailand since it is where my wife's family is from. I am however considering using traveler's checks because with my AAA (American Automobile Association) membership I can get them without paying any fee. I don't know if the exchange rate with them is better or worse than with ATM withdrawals and I do remember having to pay a per check fee when exchanging them. I used them when I brought money over to pay the sin sod at our Thai wedding.

1) Don't want to get into a pissing contest on which country charges the highest fees, lest we say however that I think you'll find the buiness model for banks (in regards to this) becoming similar to global roaming charges for mobile phones. Cause they can. Given I get paid offshore this affects me just as any other whiners here. I'm not complainig though. It is a relatively minor issue, and some sensible planning means I avoid the bulk of the fees. I take the view that living overseas comes with certain costs (and benefits).

2) If your issue is control over your money, set up two accounts (Cheque, savings) next time you are here with a local bank. One for you to send the money to, linked to the ATM card account for the relatives to use. Control via internet banking and only release money to the ATM linked account as you see fit.

3) I have bigger fish to fry in terms gripes on why businesses don't set up here in Thailand. ATM fees isn't one of them. Reputation as the regions knock shop is, and blowing up Patpong and Pattaya would be a much better start in my opinion.

Edited by samran

If you are charged by your own bank you should not be charged by the Thai bank.

However if you are not charged by your own bank you may well be charged by the Thai bank

Sorry, but that's an ill-informed statement above...

Banks in different countries set their own fees based on their corporate policies and what the banking laws in that nation will allow. U.S. banks don't set or charge their ATM fees based on what banks in Thailand do or don't do. And Thai banks don't charge or not charge fees to customers depending on what fees their foreign customers do or don't incur at home.

Right now, for the moment, the advice is simple. No matter what country you're from or what bank card you're using at the ATM in Thailand, use a Thai bank that's yet to begin charging the 150 baht fees... such as Kasikorn or Ayudhya at present.

I also doubt traveler's cheques will be much affected by this. Many customers pay a fee to buy traveler's cheques in their home country, except some folks like AAA (Automobile Club) members who get them for free. But even for those folks (and everyone else who pays a fee to buy the cheques), they also pay a handling fee for each traveler's cheque they exchange here. The fee here is charged per cheque. So if you are using them, it's best to go with fewer, larger denomination traveler's cheques in order to minimize your bank fees. Exchanging them also usually requires showing your passport, which makes the process less convenient for folks who don't routinely carry their passport around with them.

That view above is probably not true for most people.

In most cases, the originating bank in your home country outside Thailand is going to charge an international wire transfer fee. In the U.S. those typically range between $25 (on the very low end) to more often $40/$45 and even sometimes $60 per wire, depending on the U.S. bank you use. (There are exceptions, such as some accounts that have free wires or one free wire per month, but those aren't the norm). Then the receiving Thai bank, I believe, typically charges a much more modest fee of a couple hundred baht.

Given that the current 150 baht ATM fee works out to about $4.25 U.S., you'd have to make anywhere from more than five to eight ATM transactions (at 20,000 to 30,000 baht per as the maximum) before the combined ATM fees would exceed the fee for one wire transfer. I'm leaving some wiggle room there because wires don't get hit with the 1% VISA/MC fee for foreign exchange.

I think it's likely that some Thai banks will NOT charge the ATM fee for some time, looking to Kasikorn as an example. So that route continuing to use your ATM at such banks ATMs would be the first choice.

Then, if that option fails (all the Thai banks implement the fees), the second choice would be the ATM card withdrawal at the bank counter approach (which has no fees, by all accounts, at present).

And then, if that options becomes unavailable or uneconomical, then other approaches may be available, such as using a CitiBank or HSBC ATM card here, since those banks are member of the "ATM Pool" and their cards are not supposed to be assessed the new 150 baht fee.

If all those things fail, then, wire transfers could become the common approach. But right now and for the immediate future, wires would only be the preferred approach if someone needs to move very large amounts of money in a single transaction or short period of time (or you're one of those folks who has an account that provides fee or very low cost international wires).

I have an U.S. based-HSBC ATM card. I've never much used it here for withdrawals, because U.S. HSBC has long had a 2 or 3% foreign exchange fee they assess. Although I'd certainly want to avoid that HSBC fee, I'm curious to see if Thai ATMs/banks who charge the 150 baht fee will exempt my U.S. HSBC card from it.... Same question for foreign CitiBank cardholders here. Anyone tried it yet with a Thai bank that's begun charging the 150 baht fee???

Yes the two charges are separate. If I use my Halifax debit card (GBP1.50/transaction) in an SCB ATM (20THB/transaction) my bill looks like:

(1000THB + 20THB) * (Exchange Rate) + 1.50GBP

My Nationwide in a Kasikorn ATM : 1000THB * (Exchange Rate)

Ayuddya OTC would charge 3% on the THB value and then Halifax add their commission before deducting the GBP from my account and Nationwide do not. SCB OTC/Nationwide combo. is essentially commission-free at both ends as is the Kasikorn ATM/Nationwide combo. (at the time of writing).

If your home bank charges a percentage, then you pay that percentage on the sum you withdraw plus the local (Thai) commission. i.e. in June Nationwide will charge 1% of the 1150THB it will cost me to draw 1000THB from an SCB ATM.

The big wait-and-see questions are:

1) How long will Kasikorn hold out against the 150THB charge?

2) How long will SCB (and a few others) continue to allow large (200kTHB) OTC advances free of charge

Edited by phaethon

Although I'd certainly want to avoid that HSBC fee, I'm curious to see if Thai ATMs/banks who charge the 150 baht fee will exempt my U.S. HSBC card from it.... Same question for foreign CitiBank cardholders here.

Absolutely no reason why they should - unless they feel sorry for you, and what are the chances of that?

Citibank has some tenuous link between their Thai operation and the local mafia banking association which some people hope may exempt them, but I don't think it will apply to Citibank's non-Thai-issued cards. TIT though, only time and trials will tell.

All right will this settle it ?

US based CitiBank "Banking Card" DEBIT and MasterCard logo

WARNING about the 150 THB charge at Bangkok Bank ATM in Tukcom, today 24 Apr 09 12:04

I would have really been pissed if it had cost me $4.25 to prove that CitiBank is one of the worst banks in the world

So please don't run down to get a CitiBank ATM card under the false sense that it will bypass the ATM fee just because CitiBank is a

ATM Pool member

Edited by Langsuan Man

Then, if that option fails (all the Thai banks implement the fees), the second choice would be the ATM card withdrawal at the bank counter approach (which has no fees, by all accounts, at present).

Some *do* have fees for counter ATM/Debit withdrawals -- pretty high from the reports. And those that currently don't --? Well, when the queues of roundeyes, complete with debit cards and passports, flood their lobbies, overwhelm their staff, and piss off the regulars -- something has to change. And since the inside operation is basically an ATM operation, with a more costly human interface, something's going to happen that will make that 150bt charge at the ATM machine look comparatively good.

One option not mentioned, at least for holders of US accounts, is the ACH/EFT transfer thru Bangkok Bank New York. ( See HERE) Much discussion on this awhile back, mainly about all the problems some folks were having. Problems have been fixed. And while some banks, like Bank of America, charge for the ACH service -- and take 3-4 days (because of their middleman, CashEdge), many others don't. For example, E*Trade and USAA Federal Savings don't use CashEdge, don't charge, and take 2 business days (I confirmed this last week with a $8000 transfer). I paid $10 on the New York end, and 500bt here, for an effective cost of .3%. Much better than my ATM card, even with its reimbursement of the 150bt fee. And certainly much better than any wire/SWIFT transfer, with its high fees.

If I'm caught short, I'll walkabout to find an ATM rather than use my credit card.

Interesting. Must have one of those credit cards that add 3% to the 1% foreign transaction fee. But there are some deals out there -- Nationwide and Capital One the usual ones discussed. But there are others. USAA MasterCard only passes on the 1% foreign transaction fee -- then it gives a 1% rebate on all purchases. No use walking around, looking for an ATM machine, with that kind of a deal.

Where you going to wire the money to, if not a Thai bank? So now they have your money, which they pay a ridiculously low interest rate on, to loan out. They'll certainly now be making more than they were off your use of their ATM machine, which was mainly set up as a convenience for their full-up customers, and paid for by the extra clerks they didn't have to hire. Before the 150bt, I bet they weren't making enough to cover the cost of wear and tear. Now, they've got your money to loan out -- plus less maintenance costs on their ATM machines. I'm sure they're not too worried about the lost opportunity cost of 150bt. I'm sure they had this all figured out from the git go.

I don't think it's worth the risk trying to use the cash card inside the bank if that does not work i would have to use the ATM all the time and lose 150 baht every time.

What rate on average would you get exchanging sterling cash at the bank and is there a commission fee.?

What risk?????????? you go in branch ask a simple question give the card to a clerk they swipe it in the terminal they say sorry sir card no good or ok sir how many baht you want for a fee free transaction. :o

How do you plan on a regular cost effective way of getting your sterling into Thailand, ok you may have sterling cash on you now but long term i mean, in my experance with cash they give you a slightly lower rate than the ATM rate also its passport time again & they photo copy every bank note & have you sign each copy that was in my Bangkok Bank Roi Et last year of which i hold an account & family work there so even cash is a pain in the arse.

Travellers cq's would be more convenent but how do you go on with long bank holidays for instance? To much planning needed for my liking i like to live a little as well instead of planning my life around avoiding this ATM fee.

Same here... K Bank ATM withdrawal in BKK on late Friday afternoon... no 150 baht fee. Used U.S. Visa logo debit card.

Separately, Jim, thanks for the reminder about the U.S. bank to BKK Bank New York ACH approach. It's interesting and good to know you were able to move $8,000 U.S. economically, without having your U.S. account link frozen as had happened in the past with crappy BofA. Also, that that amount didn't seem to generate any kind of Patriot Act/money laundering hassle.

However, various "smart money" approaches to using ATM cards here in Thailand still are a more economical option for now for routine, day to day living expenses, as long as we have viable alternatives that allow us to avoid the 150 baht fee, or for that matter, any fee at either the U.S. or Thai end.

I wonder, provided one's local U.S. bank's ACH limits allow it (different banks set different daily and monthly limits on allowed ACH transfers), if an ACH to BKK Bank above the $10,000 threshold would trigger any kind of hassles? For larger, single amount transfers, it definitely is the best way to go. I just don't know how large larger can get....

When all the banks start to pass on this 150 baht charge for the use of the ATM, We just go into the bank with your passport and card and get your cash that way as there is no ATM charge for this at the moment. Now TIT so we know that they may start to charge a fee for doing this as well, Then you would have to think about how many times you want to use that card for withdrawing your cash. Try and take out as much as you can in 1 transaction so you only have to pay 1 x 150 baht if its a ATM if they give you enough cash that is or again go inside the bank with your passport and take out as much as you can there. I think that's the cheapest option for now.

Regards

Scotsman

why would it trigger hassles? where are you getting the number $10K from?

Above 10k and you start to attract the attention of the authorities for suspected money laundering/anti-terror activities.

i have taken out 100k no problem

When all the banks start to pass on this 150 baht charge for the use of the ATM, We just go into the bank with your passport and card and get your cash that way as there is no ATM charge for this at the moment.

I can go into a bank and get my cash with my card and my passport???

I have a cash card (type maestro)!

We're talking here about the approach of doing an ACH online funds transfer from a U.S. bank account to Bangkok Bank using their New York ACH routing number (for non U.S. folks, that is kind of like a SWIFT number for Europe, I believe). The funds go to BKK Bank's New York branch, and then automatically are credited to your BKK Bank account here in Thailand.

(The BKK Bank account number you use in making the transfer includes your BKK branch info here, so the BKK Bank folks here know exactly where to send it to once the funds arrive from New York.)

In the past, particularly with BofA, if people tried to use that method using larger dollar amounts, either above $5K or $10K, they often had their online banking account link to BKK Bank frozen or deleted in the U.S.

The general explanation people received, although banks were reluctant to explain why what was happening was happening, was that transfer amounts over a certain limit were automatically getting flagged for Patriot Act/anti-money laundering review. Again, to be clear, we're talking about ACH transfers to Thailand here... NOT regular wire transfers.

I can go into a bank and get my cash with my card and my passport???

I have a cash card (type maestro)!

Yes, you can (make a withdrawal from your foreign bank account using that account's ATM card inside a Thai bank), at least at most Thai bank companies. Think of it like making an ATM withdrawal but instead of using the machine, you're doing it thru the bank clerk at the counter.

However, from what various users here have reported, different Thai banks have different withdrawal limits for using that approach, with Siam Commercial seemingly having among the highest limits per withdrawal. And likewise, reports indicate different Thai banks also have varying fees (from none to various amounts) for doing this.

Be warned also, I transferred 14,000 British pounds December 2007 using Swift into my Kasikorn bank account. Because the amount exceeded whatever limit, the money was not credited to my account automatically. I received a phone call from the international clearing department in Bangkok telling me that as it exceeded the limit, I had to go to my branch and fill in some paperwork.

When the transfer arrived in Thailand, it was not converted to Baht, it stayed as GBP. The rate then was just over 70 Baht/Pound. At my local branch, I was put on the telephone to Bangkok and had to negotiate the exchange rate. They would not do better than 50 Satang BELOW the prevailing rate. They had me by the sphericals as i had no choice but to agree. Because the GBP had weakened in the intervening days, I got 67 Baht/GBP a loss of 3 Baht or 42,000 Baht. There were also higher charges incurred because of the amount. I think that the limit was 10,000 Pounds, but I'm not sure.

From the UK, I think it's best to keep transfers below 10,000 Pounds.

The only good thing about this story is that I'm now spending money that I exchanged at 67 Bt/GBP. So, in a way, I'm saving money.

Mind you, I will not be renewing my retirement extension next month, I'm going back for a visit to the Uk and will get a year multi entry as I dont want to transfer the necessary cash to top up my account to 800,000 at the current exchange rate.

Although I'd certainly want to avoid that HSBC fee, I'm curious to see if Thai ATMs/banks who charge the 150 baht fee will exempt my U.S. HSBC card from it.... Same question for foreign CitiBank cardholders here.

Absolutely no reason why they should - unless they feel sorry for you, and what are the chances of that? Citibank has some tenuous link between their Thai operation and the local mafia banking association which some people hope may exempt them, but I don't think it will apply to Citibank's non-Thai-issued cards. TIT though, only time and trials will tell.

The "reason", Phaethon, was that both CitiBank and HSBC were listed as being member banks of the "ATM Pool", whose cards were NOT supposed to be charged the new 150 baht fee..., according to the Thai Banks Assn. policy announcement.

Re CitiBank, as LanguanMan has reported above, that approach does not work with a U.S. based CitiBank card, though it may well work with a Thai issued card. Work = avoid the 150 baht per withdrawal fee.

I'm still waiting to hear (or try myself) if the U.S.-based HSBC cards either do or don't get hit with the 150 baht fee. I'm guessing they will get the fee, but..you never know until you try. Unfortunately, since HSBC pays such crappy interest rates lately, I keep no funds in my HSBC account to try!!!! :o

why would it trigger hassles? where are you getting the number $10K from?

Above 10k and you start to attract the attention of the authorities for suspected money laundering/anti-terror activities.

Above $10K it gets reported to the US government, but you don't have to report it, the bank does. If you are money laundering, yes that could cause you a problem.

Excuse me if this has already been answered... I couldn't quite make through all 15 pages of posts. Anyone know how the exchange rate compares between using an a debit card in a ATM versus using your debit card at the foreign exchange counter?

Of course banks do get a commission when you use their ATM to withdraw money from a foreign account! And that's why your bank charges a fee! Another flat fee of 150 bahts added to "normal fees" from you bank simply is a ripp off.

Just posting to tell everybody that Bank of Ayudhaya still does not charge the ATM fee. I don't know why but one of my friends told me they don't and I've just withdrawn 20.000 bahts with no fee at all. Either they are a bit late or they want to "steal the biz" from other banks... Either way, please do all your withdrawals at BOA as it might encourage them to maintain their policy (if it's a deliberate policy...)!

However, various "smart money" approaches to using ATM cards here in Thailand still are a more economical option for now for routine, day to day living expenses, as long as we have viable alternatives that allow us to avoid the 150 baht fee, or for that matter, any fee at either the U.S. or Thai end.

Ok, as an example, we've read here about some E*Trade ATM cards that don't charge anything on their own -- plus they absorb the 1% foreign transaction fee charged by Visa. Great deal -- the only proviso being, apparently, you need to be a premier customer of some sort, either by amounts in your account and/or amounts traded per cycle. Not bad, particularly if you would have done this without any ATM fee forgiveness in mind at all.

But, I've not seen anywhere where E*Trade reimburses ATM owner fees.....

So, assuming the max dispensed by a BB ATM of 25000, if my free E*Trade ATM card still cost me 150bt per transaction, this would be a cost of .6% (150/25000). But my sending $8000 via ACH/EFT only cost .3% -- and (because the fees are fixed), I would only pay .2% to send $12,000.

Now, if E*Trade -- and other no-fee ATM cards -- begin to reimburse the 150bt, yeah, they're the best deal. Until then, ACH/EFT wins (with the exception of taking your E*Trade ATM to Kasikorn, at least so far).

Out of curiosity, how about the Europeans/Brits/Ozzies/Kiwies -- do you have an equivalent avenue to ACH/EFT to send money cheaper than the wire/SWIFT route?)

I wonder, provided one's local U.S. bank's ACH limits allow it (different banks set different daily and monthly limits on allowed ACH transfers), if an ACH to BKK Bank above the $10,000 threshold would trigger any kind of hassles?

Well, my USAA limit for ACH is initially set up for a $5000/day max. A simple phone call raised this to $30,000 -- and subsequent ACHs to my other US bank, for amounts around $15000, were flawless. Can't imagine why this wouldn't work for Bangkok Bank. Don't really want to send more than $10000 at a time (foreign exchange risk; much better interest rates at USAA; no longer save that much by sending huge amounts, as I did in the SWIFT days). But, out of curiosity, next time I will (unless someone checks in before then, with confirmation that above $10k is no problem).

I couldn't quite make through all 15 pages of posts. Anyone know how the exchange rate compares between using an a debit card in a ATM versus using your debit card at the foreign exchange counter?

Yep, you pay 150bt more at the ATM. Stay tuned, however........