Ais Gprs Internet On Notebook

stats

Dear All,

Just would like to update to everyone regarding the Internet connection using the AIS GPRS INTERNET, i just purchases a new sim card and which includes the services of Gprs...

I am using Internet VIA GPRS connection on my Nokia 6230 using Bluutooh to my Notebook, To be honest with every1 te connection is very good...In order to get a fast connection you will have to configure your Notebook properly,Not to used to much programme during Internet Usage,

The speed i am currently using are 460.8Kbps...But this speed could be tonggle manually from 14kbps to 940.0Kbps.....

The fee im paying is monthly charge of promotion 250Baht + 350Baht of GPRS Usage(includes of 120Hours OF Internet Conncetion Service)

I have been using these services for 4 days now..and the longest ive been using is 7 hours non stop,and the connection is not interrupted....

Thats all i could update now.....

Regards,

JOE

Unlike other Operators...AIS do not charge the GPRS service by MB...But in order to get the Service u will have to be a NEW or EXISTING AIS Post paid customer and apply for a GPRS promotion..The service will only be activate after the next billing cycle,

If u do not apply for GPRS PRomotion you will be charge at 1 baht per minutes for every min.....

if im not mistaken here are the promotion....

monthly for GPRS...

30 baht for 4 hours free

250 baht for 60 hours free

350 baht for 120 hours free

900 baht....first 3 month free unlimited usage after that 400 min usage free per month...

AIS has the broadest network coverage in Thailand (but DTAC is pretty good too). They used to have a shortage of bandwidth, possibly fixed now. Their data plans are pretty reasonable IMHO.

The Nokia 6230 is an EDGE-capable phone, so if you live in Bangkok, you can access a faster (2-4x) 3G EDGE service from DTAC. They have a 999 baht unlimited access data plan, which also gives you free access to KSC's WIFI hotspots.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I spent 900 baht on a bluetoth dongle and 3000 on a used Sony Ericsson T68i. Then I signed up for AIS GPRS at 900 baht for 400 hours a month unlimited bandwidth. So far I'm quite impressed. About 32 kbps consistently. In the last 4 hours connection has been lost only once and i don't know if that was my bluetooth or AIS. Anyway, so far so good. For anyone in the boonies or looking for internet on the go, check it out.

its not about the Operator that interup your connection...its about ur Bloothooth....Im using usb cable and well ive been using 7 hours non stop AIS gprs on my notebook at home and its not Disconected unlike other operators....

ive been very impress with the AIS GRRS on my notebook...i surely recomend it everyone that is on the go...no need to look for hotspot if u urgently needed internet conection ASAP...

cgeers,

Tytus

I think AIS has two plans to choose from:  one that charges per minute of online time, and one that charges per K of info downloaded.

There are a number of packages that are not per minute or per K. Like I said, I pay 900 baht a month for 400 hours. There is no per minute fee and no K fee.

I'm sitting in my car now and still working great.

Can you get AIS GPRS/min on a pre-paid?

Which one?

Cheers BaanOz

BTW been trying to get my Billionton Bluetooth dongle to talk to my SE T610 and I'm ######ed if I can get it working. Think I'll try a data cable.

It's also interesting that Tytus mentions:

"its not about the Operator that interup your connection...its about ur Bloothooth....Im using usb cable "

Edited by BaanOz

no u cant get a GPRS connection on a pre paid card.AIS &DTAC are not having any pre paid GPRS...Sorry ..

Well yeah AIS GPRS is a good buy....this is veluable for some1 that is living in an apartment that doesnt have any leased line to connection on cable or dial up modem.......

AIS only charge i baht per1 min if u never apply for a promotion package...

check on search u will find lotsa useful hints on AIS GPRS

cheers

tytus

Wrong. Both One-2-Call (AIS) and HappyDPrompt have prepaid GPRS. I use them both. You just need to activate GPRS via their customer service.

Thanks George,

I've tried to find the cost of the One-2-Call here:

http://www.one-2-call.com/One2Call/otc/t/product_gprs.jsp

...but can't seem to get it in English. It look's like there are 3 packages and I'm wondering how this works with a pre-paid. Anyway, how much are you paying for GPRS with one-2-call?

Cheers BaanOz

I opted for charge by minute and I recall it's 2 baht per minute on both systems.

I use them as a backup for my ordinary ISP. DTAC/DPrompt is faster than AIS GPRS in my opinion.

Thanks again George for advice on DTAC/DPrompt.

For anyone interested, here's some info in PDF format for HappyDPrompt :

HappyDPrompt

...and phone settings :

Settings

I use AIS GPRS in Samui and have had no problems.

My speed is 115.2 Kbps according to the little thingy down at the bottom of the screen.

That's not the actual GPRS speed, it's the maximum/default speed between your mobile and your computer. You will get a maximum of 30-42Kbps via GPRS in Thailand.

I just got a land line and am selling my Itigno mobil modem which is used with a lap top to access the GPRS AIS system.

I bought it new from AIS and will sell it for a resonable discount.

Its simple to use you just plug it into the USB port of the Lap top and your in biz.

The sim cards cost under 1000 baht.

[email protected]

09-594-9432

I use AIS GPRS in Samui and have had no problems.

My speed is 115.2 Kbps according to the little thingy down at the bottom of the screen.

That's not the actual GPRS speed, it's the maximum/default speed between your mobile and your computer. You will get a maximum of 30-42Kbps via GPRS in Thailand.

Not true. If you get a phone with EDGE, you will get more like 80Kbps to 90Kbps.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the 999 baht a month for unlimited AIS & EDGE (from DTAC? this is quite confusing) but it says you need a work permit as well as your passport to sign up. If I went to Thailand for a few months and wasn't going to be working is there a similar deal available to me?

I'd be travelling with an iBook and a Nokia 6230 which is currrently locked to Vodafone UK.

I'd want to be located in the south possibly on Koh Tao or Ko Phangan - any chance of mobile internet connections using GPRS there?

Edited by mjelliott

Hmmmm....me thinks I've stumbled onto a solution for a connection, but not being a techno head, perhaps you guys would be kind enough to enlighten yours truly?

Next month, I move to the boonies with no possibility of a telephone line capable of supplying an internet connection. I gather from your posts that I could use my mobile phone with a Blue Tooth dingle dongle (?) or USB cable to enable my CPU to surf without leaving my turf for a cafe. Further, it seems someone has indicated a cable would be more reliable than the wireless hookup and that a host of options are available with either Dtac or Ais. At the risk of appearing overly uninformed, I don't understand how the process works... Do you need a phone with a USB port? Is my USB modem headed for the scrap heap? Does the dongle dangle from my phone or my computer? A few simple words for an optimystic searcher may go a long way to keep me from having to go out of my way.

I've had an AIS for some months "family plan" - chosen as we were told it was easy to change later against a 200 baht fee. Well I tried AIS/GPRS some time ago and it was literally flying. I had consistant 12 KB/s download (120 kbps) so decided to change to the "unlimited" internet plan (the one with first 3 month unlimited, then 400 minutes/month for the rest of the year) @ 900/month. The 900 are a minimum payment that you can use for call time so if you call more than 900 bahts worth in a month you will pay more than 900.

Well, TIT and nothing is as easy as it looks. No you can't change plan, you need to change to a new number. ######, and I just had a great number, but nothing to do. There are no logic to it but sorry sir thats the rules. Anyway, told them to go to ###### and went to check the competition. Didn't like supportin Toxin anyway.

Orange was OUCH EXPENSIVE. Yes, one bath per minute ... but read the small print, 3 bath for the first minute, 4 baht after 5pm (peak time). GPRS available but no per-minute plans. Whether pre or postpay you pay 12 satang per kb = 122 bath/mb = 150,000 baht/gb. Someone tell me if I made a mistake in my calculations cuz that looks just rediculous!

Anyway, went over to DTAC ... yes they have a GPRS unlimited plan ... it's an option/addon to any of their postpay plans and cost 999 baht/month. For that you get unlimited GPRS, plan valid up to 3 years.

They showed me 3 payment plans:

150 baht/month = no freebies, 4 baht/minute calls

350 baht/month = 100 minutes free per month, 4 baht/minute after that

Special promotion

299 baht/month. 299 baht's worth of calling @ 75 satang/min. Any unused money rolled over to next month.

Signed up for the special promotion + GPRS. Hope it's worth it.

You need a workpermit to get postpay with any of the operators. Of course if you have a Thai wife you can sign up in her name.

Okay, after a week or two of using AIS GPRS, I've changed my mind completely. It seems to be complete sh#t. First off, the AIS centre in Chiang Mai had told me that if I buy an EDGE phone, that I will get speeds up to 3 times as fast as regular GPRS. Just before I bought an EDGE capable phone I called AIS again to double check. At first they said yes, yes they support EDGE. I asked them if they were sure. A few minutes later, 'Yes sir, we support in Siam Square and Silom'. Wow, what coverage. So as far as AIS goes, EDGE is useless. Anyone know about DTAC?

Intially regular AIS GPRS worked quite well, always around 20-30k. For the past few days, its been more like 9k. It times out all the time. Can not find server all the time. The DU meter goes up to 3k and then drops to nothing for 10 or 20 seconds. I'm not impressed. Before I bash Thaksin completely, could there be any other factors affecting the speed? A friend said that the tin roof of the place I am now using it might affect reception, but I don't know about that.

Anyway, I think I'll be headed to DTAC today.

i hav been using the AIS service for 1 month now...and to be honest i am happy with the service where i could used it to connect to the internet....

So far i have no problem with it.....I usually used the Gprs on my notebook for some sending/receiving emails/surfing the net and Using the yahoo/mirc/chat...

Its much more cheaper than using the Wifi bytrue....

But as for the DTAC there is an advantage if you are a post paid customer...You will receives free wifi service by lox info.....Free unlimited for wi-fi so if ur a post paid customer you could register for the free unlimited wi-fi online and get a free password...your user ID will be the your DTAC mobile number.....

cheers,

tytus

Okay, after a week or two of using AIS GPRS, I've changed my mind completely. It seems to be complete sh#t. First off, the AIS centre in Chiang Mai had told me that if I buy an EDGE phone, that I will get speeds up to 3 times as fast as regular GPRS. Just before I bought an EDGE capable phone I called AIS again to double check. At first they said yes, yes they support EDGE. I asked them if they were sure. A few minutes later, 'Yes sir, we support in Siam Square and Silom'. Wow, what coverage. So as far as AIS goes, EDGE is useless. Anyone know about DTAC?

Intially regular AIS GPRS worked quite well, always around 20-30k. For the past few days, its been more like 9k. It times out all the time. Can not find server all the time. The DU meter goes up to 3k and then drops to nothing for 10 or 20 seconds. I'm not impressed. Before I bash Thaksin completely, could there be any other factors affecting the speed? A friend said that the tin roof of the place I am now using it might affect reception, but I don't know about that.

Anyway, I think I'll be headed to DTAC today.

Saturday night the 19th it seems quite slow. Most of the time it is satisfactory.

My internet explorer by msft seems to hinder my download speed if I don't re-boot immediately before logging on. I have no clue why. I am sure portals have something to do with it especially when there are a lot of Thais going international.