Cheers Beer

gennisis

Tesco/Lotus stock the RED Cheers X-tra but run out of stock frequently...

Family mart from the fridge 37 ThB for the 500 ml Can!

It doesn't exactly take me off the o- but it's drinkable - got to be really cold.. anyway...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll drink any beer, I love Singha in Thailand, if you taste Singha anywhere outside of Thailand it's not the same, more generic lager, must be kind of 'export' version.

The only beer that is awful I think it 'Thai Beer' ... just tastes of chemicals and I don't mean 'tastes horrible' I mean it actually tastes of real chemicals of some kind

• 4 weeks later...
I tried Cheers X-tra tonight and I would say it's drinkable. If I am not wrong is much better than average cheers which I couldn't drink, it was giving me an eerie feeling in the mornings. So I decided not to drink Cheers anymore. With Cheers X-tra I gave a shot, I will see how I feel in the morning. By the way I am Leo drinker. Love Federbrau and Singha.

I also am normally a leo drinker and I tried cheers xtra one night. Mein gott I was in a right state the next day :) . It can't have been the 8 bottles of leo I had after, so I must attribute it to the cheers xtra. I have also noticed a rapid decline in the choice of imported beer in the usual places, what's the deal with that? I am traditionally a bitter drinker but the choice of English bitter has all but dissappeared!

Tried a bottle of "Red Horse beer" this week. 35 baht from tesco, Pak Chong. Made at the San Miguel brewery, Bangkok.

6.9% and very passable as Thai beers go.

A good partner for those "Horse piss" eggs (the pink ones) :) Anyone tried/like them?

Regards.

I've bought Red Horse here in Auckland (NZ) from a local Filipino shop.....I saw the San Miguel Brewery on the lable....assumed from the Spanish name and the Filipino source that San Miguel was Phillipines.

You are correct, sam miguel does come from the Philippines. Red horse has been popular there for a long time among the locals, it has the best alcohol content per peso ratio :D , I personally like the San Miguel in the Philippines, you can buy it here in LOS but it is not the same and it doesn't come in the "Grande" (1 litre) bottles like it does in PI. At around 54 pesos for a litre of san miguel, can't go wrong with that.

I'll drink any beer, I love Singha in Thailand, if you taste Singha anywhere outside of Thailand it's not the same, more generic lager, must be kind of 'export' version.

The only beer that is awful I think it 'Thai Beer' ... just tastes of chemicals and I don't mean 'tastes horrible' I mean it actually tastes of real chemicals of some kind

Add Heineken to the list. I find it difficult to drink that muck. It tastes like hubba bubba, especially if you have been drinking Sing or Leo before you work your way to the back of the fridge to that lone bottle of Heineken that is left over from when you had friends over who wont drink the local brews. Still, I can force myself if there is nothing else :)

• 2 months later...

There's something about the X-tra 1.5% that set Cheers X-tra apart from normal Cheers (which is just a little too much like water). And yeah, I would say it's the best value for money beer I've had in Thailand, possibly the world. I am a convert, for sure.

I'll add to this that I just tried some Myanmar Beer on my recent trip and, well, let's just say it has a lot of room for improvement. More bitter than Bintang, and somewhat weak, too. Didn't try the Dagon brand (it's the "Schlitz Malt Liquor" of Myanmar) but I bet it has a nice kick to it.

Lao "bia" still gets top marks in my book...

Edited by ballzafire

Cheers Extra is the WORST beer I have ever tasted in my life. It was so bad I poured it away! My cheap <deleted> from the low-quality monopolistic cartel for the non-discerning mass market which can't afford anything else.

I'm still searching for it in Pattaya, anyone that can help me find it I would appreciate and invite you over to try 1/2 dozen with me. But make sure you leave your car or motor bike at home because at 7%+ you can't drive after drinking 1/2 dozen. Incidentally I live next to Buffalo Bar.

Carrefour stocks it.

• 3 months later...

I've bought 4 packs of 12 in Foodland in the last few weeks of Cheers X-TRa @ 6.5% abv as stated on the 500ml can,very nice and a change from my usual Singha.

37 baht per can

I will most likely get fed up with it and try something else though.

Belgian beers are the world's best

I've bought 4 packs of 12 in Foodland in the last few weeks of Cheers X-TRa @ 6.5% abv as stated on the 500ml can,very nice and a change from my usual Singha.

37 baht per can

I will most likely get fed up with it and try something else though.

Belgian beers are the world's best

They sell it in Friendship Supermarket as well.

Has anyone ever seen bottles of Cheers Extra for sale?

• 6 months later...