Interesting Animal For My Hotel

I have been planting some nice flowers/shrubs at my Phuket hotel to make the garden look more attractive for the guests.

Now I'm thinking about adding some type of 'animal' which can be a point of interest for hotel guests, their kids etc.

What do I mean by 'animal'? No idea! I need some suggestions. Ideally, I'm looking for some living creature that can be contained in a cage in the garden, but which will be very happy living in that cage with the minimum of care.

So forget about large mammels, maybe some big stick insects or snake?? Just something that is not an imported creature, is happy living in our garden and gives the guests something to look at and talk about.

Suggestions!

Simon

Yes, butterflies look very nice, but I thought that their life as a butterfly was very short, perhaps just a few days or weeks...

I do have a reasonable area to erect a cage, perhaps 3 meters wide x 2 meters high.

Simon

hmm.....another idea, ....

May be you can "rent" those butterflies from a local butterflies farm, including the cage also.......perhaps weekly?

This way you will always get constant supply of live batch.....and not be responsible for any "major mishaps" :o

Edited by teacup

I have been planting some nice flowers/shrubs at my Phuket hotel to make the garden look more attractive for the guests.

Now I'm thinking about adding some type of 'animal' which can be a point of interest for hotel guests, their kids etc.

What do I mean by 'animal'? No idea! I need some suggestions. Ideally, I'm looking for some living creature that can be contained in a cage in the garden, but which will be very happy living in that cage with the minimum of care.

So forget about large mammels, maybe some big stick insects or snake?? Just something that is not an imported creature, is happy living in our garden and gives the guests something to look at and talk about.

Suggestions!

Simon

What living thing is going to be happy staying in a cage? Perhaps you should live in a cage for about a week and see how it works out. If you're happy doing that, then go ahead and imprison some poor animal for your profits. Better yet, if you like it just stay in the cage and be a tourist attraction for the locals.

I can guarantee you that I won't be eating at your establishment or any place that imprisons animals for profit.

Edited by Beacher

Yes, butterflies look very nice, but I thought that their life as a butterfly was very short, perhaps just a few days or weeks...

I do have a reasonable area to erect a cage, perhaps 3 meters wide x 2 meters high.

Simon

What about this one

post-62860-1239083768_thumb.jpg

Beacher - you are pathetic!

Read my post again. I said that I wanted something such as a stick insect! With a cage 3 x 2 metres * 3 metres depth, the insect is never even going to find the cage edges!

If you don't have anything useful to add, keep quiet :o

Simon

now now people.

simon, what about a pair of parakeets or doves (if they are doves/pigeons u can keep the place opened once they know where they live. doesnt have to be a 'cage' . as u remember, i ran a petting zoo so am used to thinking small but safety and comfort for the resident and the public. i suspect that snakes esepecially locals are endangered species types and also, reptiles need a lot of care actually including hte feeding.

pigeons, the fancy kinds, need only space for nesting and sleeping and u can design beautiful dove cotes place on poles, or up high , u can train them (we used the rattling of stones in a tin can to call them in for feeding, and would allow certain folks to release them out also), the tumbling kind are fun as well as those with crests and furry feet (need to keep away from cats). once u have two nesting pairs, u have a family ready to expand with the possibility to trade/sell extras. parakeets/budgies : same same w/o releasing outside.

when designing a cage/exhibit, u must take in to account, weather conditions, sun location, predators, type of clients (do they bang on the cages and uproot your garden or are they 'nice' tourists, as u know, ours were the typical israeli families so we had to customer proof all our exhibits.

leaopard geckos were nice and fun and easy to keep; king snakes are friendly, easy keepers in an outdoor terrarium (they need cold winters for hibernating to breed ) other then that, they are great snakes and come in many colours. remember that direct sun light kills ALL animals in any exhibit if they dont have enough place to move to intense shade, especially in hot humid thailand.

mini bantam or guenea fowl (if they are allowed in thailand)or quails, fancy chickens like silkies

degoes- if u have a dig proof floor and double door, they can be handled by people if u work with them when very young, they are from the elephant family!!! but are basically a rat like animal but diurnal; u can do a plastic tubed exhibit for people to watch them; easy eaters, breed well too.

ferrets wont do well in thai heat and humidity.

simon, what about a fountain with fish. easy peasy beautiful calming. large koi aer trainable sort of and are 'quality' fish for gardens.

butterflys are interesting, i had thought about that also, but u have to learn about them first/set up, etc. there is someone doing that here now but they have a large area actually.

silk worms are fun , local, easy to feed , and educational too.

a cage of finches like zebra finches that can be kept in thailand weather and such.

a pair of quaker parrots that weave amazing nests and dont need large amounts of wing room.

DO NOT THINK ABOUT MACAWS, AMAZONS, OR OTHER LARGE PARROTS.HIGH CARE AND NASTY WITH VISITORS.

BINA

israel

Oh Simon ....Not another "ruse" to gain publicity for your Hotel!!!.......if you need to advertise just visit my website www.spicythai.co.uk and we will put an advert on our unit for you!!.....P.S. Thai Buffet only £3.50......available for music events and festivals SPICYTHAI EVENT CATERING :o

Suggestions!

Simon

What living thing is going to be happy staying in a cage? Perhaps you should live in a cage for about a week and see how it works out. If you're happy doing that, then go ahead and imprison some poor animal for your profits. Better yet, if you like it just stay in the cage and be a tourist attraction for the locals.

I can guarantee you that I won't be eating at your establishment or any place that imprisons animals for profit.

Jumped in there feet first didnt you,are you going red now lol.I suggest you read posts before commenting,you wont look stupid then.

have a good day and read read read before opening your gob.

Why not put a large marine aquarium with an assortment of coloured reef fish, you can hire them complete with care and maintenance,as many larger hotels and office setups do , they will even design or reccomend a specific setup for your facilities, you can also get reptile setups too! there are are 3 or 4 companies in Bkk that offer this service through out thailand :o

Read my post again. I said that I wanted something such as a stick insect! With a cage 3 x 2 metres * 3 metres depth, the insect is never even going to find the cage edges!

Simon

LOL - To see pathetic, go look in the mirror.

I don't care what type of living creature it is. It's still a f*cking prison. That's why I never go to zoos -- very depressing places.

Edited by Beacher

Suggestions!

Simon

As, by the sound of it you are a tree hugging, knit your own yoghurt, eco Nazi vegan there would probably be nothing on the menu you could eat. Try reading the post before leaping for the keyboard. Pathetic!

Simon, you can get some beautiful large stick insects here and they are amazing to look at. Also how about a rabbit farm. Everybody loves fluffy bunnies and if they breed too much you can also add to the restaurant menu to even further upset beacher :o:D

Simon

I agree with Beacher. He did offer you the most positive ides yet

Simon

I agree with Beacher. He did offer you the most useful ideas yet

Simon

I agree with Beacher. He did offer you the most useful ideas yet

sorry i can not get a handle on the bloody 'edit' button

I suggest a speaking African Grey parrot with a potential vocabulary of 2000 words

Good heavens! That's more than my Thai staff can manage in English!! :D

Bina - some really good ideas! Certainly birds can be very attractive, but I think maybe they would need too much care and Beacher would probably take out a death contract on me for caging them...

Actually, we already have a rabbit! It belongs to one of the staff who lives on site. Originally they kept it in a shoebox-size cage :o I made them, buy a much larger cage. Now we allow the rabbit to run freely in the hotel garden where it makes valient attempts to keep the grass well-cut. Of course, all I need to do is to add 1 more rabbit of the opposite gender and we will be overrun with the things. But the hotel guests certainly like them.

A reptile house does appeal to me. The location for this 'exhibit' is actually between 2 of our guest bungalows, so it would be easy to build a tiled roof right across the 3 metre space, add a back wall and then a grill front with access door, and to ensure shade/security.

I shall do some more research and let you know my plan!

Simon

I'd go with the fish, marine 'tropical' - great to absorp time while people are waiting and distract kids that otherwise find something to 'play' with rather than 'sitting quietly'.

Not everyone likes dogs or cats or their smell, fur etc. Same with birds, smell and they will be taught rude words if possible 'cos it's funny when they swear.

Unless you have the time to do snakes as an existing hobby - they will scare some people. Stick insects etc. look like sticks - hmmmm interesting display of semi dead looking peices of wood you have. Many places choose fish for the above reasons.

You could train some unemployed monkeys to take bags to the rooms, pay them only peanuts and bananas, building a bamboo and vine frame work outside the hotel so that they could take the bags directly to the rooms via the outside walls....

Great image.

You could train some unemployed monkeys to take bags to the rooms, pay them only peanuts and bananas

I have these already. They are called brother-in-law, sister-in-law etc !:o

Simon

beacher, behave yourself with the name calling !!!!

simon, nignoy who has zoo experience also (ran one actually) has the best idea actually; caretaking for reptiles et al need full time care and vetting; sub contracting means that dead specimens get exchanged, the care is specific and experienced, if it doesnt work out u can get rid of the exhibit; selling a albino burmese python that refuses to eat dead rats would be difficult for instance.

budgies actually are fairly minimum care and can take stress (visitors = stress) well breed well, hardy, and frankly, fairly cheap if ill and die (i dont say dont give vet care but giving antibiotics to snakes is expensive , budgies are easier and if some specimens die, they are cheaper to replace..

u can pm me and probably nignoy if u need design help as i've done a zillion exhibits for petting zoo types... taking in to consideration animal welfare/health of the public. same as nignoy.

someone at a nearby kibbutz here did an amazing exhibit in his garden with koi so that from one area, u could look down in to the pool, and on the other side of the garden, which was much lower level, the pool had glass like an aquarium display wall with over hanging plants etc, so that u were sort of under the lip of the pool and eye level with koi in the pool.. im sorry i dont have pics but if u want i can make a field trip and visit and photo if it is still running (the petting zoo changed hands recently and i am out of the zoo profession now so lost contact).

alpaca-- i love them, they actually can go in houses, potty trained etc. there is some guy in mitzpe ramon (israel) that does that, he trained his for the army also but mostly as house pets... but they do suffer from humid heat if not sheared and if they dont have a pool or water shower to cool off inside. a neutered male or two could be amazing.!!!

bina

israel

Simon

What about this one

fred, I hate to tell you this mate, but that aint no butterfly.

simon, perhaps you could stick one of your volunteer police buddies in a cage, you know people will always stop in and have a laugh at them!

beacher, behave yourself with the name calling !!!!

simon, nignoy who has zoo experience also (ran one actually) has the best idea actually; caretaking for reptiles et al need full time care and vetting; sub contracting means that dead specimens get exchanged, the care is specific and experienced, if it doesnt work out u can get rid of the exhibit; selling a albino burmese python that refuses to eat dead rats would be difficult for instance.

budgies actually are fairly minimum care and can take stress (visitors = stress) well breed well, hardy, and frankly, fairly cheap if ill and die (i dont say dont give vet care but giving antibiotics to snakes is expensive , budgies are easier and if some specimens die, they are cheaper to replace..

u can pm me and probably nignoy if u need design help as i've done a zillion exhibits for petting zoo types... taking in to consideration animal welfare/health of the public. same as nignoy.

someone at a nearby kibbutz here did an amazing exhibit in his garden with koi so that from one area, u could look down in to the pool, and on the other side of the garden, which was much lower level, the pool had glass like an aquarium display wall with over hanging plants etc, so that u were sort of under the lip of the pool and eye level with koi in the pool.. im sorry i dont have pics but if u want i can make a field trip and visit and photo if it is still running (the petting zoo changed hands recently and i am out of the zoo profession now so lost contact).

alpaca-- i love them, they actually can go in houses, potty trained etc. there is some guy in mitzpe ramon (israel) that does that, he trained his for the army also but mostly as house pets... but they do suffer from humid heat if not sheared and if they dont have a pool or water shower to cool off inside. a neutered male or two could be amazing.!!!

bina

israel

<deleted>????

Somebody calls me pathetic and I simply suggest that that person should look in the mirror to see what pathetic really is, then you come down on me, and only me in this situation! What gives with that? If you're going to issue warnings, at least be fair about it. Another member goes off on a rant referring to me as an "eco Nazi vegan" (LOL - whatever that is) and noting is mentioned about that. Reall nice!!!

Once again we see a great deal of tolerance when it comes to a certain core of members -- the "old boys (and girls) club", as I call it, but newer members are supressed.and warned (whimsically).

This forum is getting worse all the time.

Edited by Beacher

Suggestions!

Simon

Beacher Get off your high and mighty and get a life. I'm sure the OP doesn't need the likes of you patronizing his establishment anyway.

... and h2o... cool it (knitting your own yogurt?? i like that and i think i will adopt it for some future reference in my real life, not on line... )...

back to the subject at hand: mini petting zoo types. what about sugarbabies - not sure what they need, if they are legal int thailand, or if they can deal with daytime visitors, but there was someone who had them i think on te forum; like i said, degos., chipmunk types (there are various rules about these animals as some are considered nuisance animals and u can only own same sex groupings, but thailand seems rather lenient for the things)-- but for these i recommend, highly, a double door set up to prevent escapees

bina

israel