One Million Baht Prize Money To Get Thaksin

george

:o what will Mr Toxin body guards be thinking ...opportunities, options...$$$money

I think they are taking enough money per month and as long he will be free they will continue to get paid... If they go on for this million baht they will probably lose everything...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why don't they just block his nightly video links. If he can't reach his followers they will soon lose interest !!!

If they block the video links, the same material will just be shown from video tapes. Who knows, maybe the links are not "live" even now.

Why don't they just block his nightly video links. If he can't reach his followers they will soon lose interest !!!

If they block the video links, the same material will just be shown from video tapes. Who knows, maybe the links are not "live" even now.

If he can't get his message through BY WHATEVER MEANS and why should he be allowed to then his following will fade

Actually, this article gets the point across even more clearly. Everyone is focussing on Thaksin but the bigger issue here is freedom and democracy. Thaksin is just the only guy at the moment who has the motivation to press for change whether for his own personal gain or the good of the country. The point is that he would not have any support if there were not a lot of people unhappy in Thailand with the way things have been run for too long...

Looking for signs of progress

By: Atiya AchakulwisutPublished: 7/04/2009 at 12:00 AMNewspaper section: News

What is in a number? Many analysts have said it is the numbers that matter, that the future of the Red movement depends solely on whether or not it can draw up to 300,000 protesters tomorrow, as advertised by its leaders.

I disagree. I think numbers are not the whole point. After all, 300,000 seems totally haphazard. It does not signify a critical mass, nor does it present a form of majority or any kind of popular consent. For me, the issue is not how big the Red Surge will be (of course, if there are 30 million red shirts out there then it's another story); the issue, rather, is that the rally has woken up a "Red Spirit." It has broken a glass ceiling, a taboo. It put an idea into people's minds, that it is okay to challenge what has long been held as a given. That is a much more important notion for us to be aware of, than speculating about the size of tomorrow's crowd.

Like it or not, Thaksin's audacious attack on members of the Privy Council - an act no politician has attempted before - has changed the rules of the game, politically and culturally. What was once unimaginable has become an everyday reality. What was once considered sacred, even inviolable, has been made profane. What is "possible" in the name of politics has been extended to reach even where it has never been applied before.

One need not be a supporter of Thaksin Shinawatra to feel the presence of the new possibilities. And messy though it seems, open debate is a sign of progress in a democracy.

Still, one must also be mature enough to differentiate between principles and the individual. One can agree with some of what Thaksin is saying without having to support his political fight, for example.

The nuance can hold the key to a peaceful transition from the protracted conflict and political turmoil.

As the political contest threatens to come to a head this week, the authorities' reaction is more crucial than ever. If they look at the Red march and see only blind lovers of Thaksin or paid protesters, they would miss a chance to steer the conflict in a direction where constructive resolution, not just a dead end, could be possible.

Some serious questions must be asked if people who genuinely love democracy, freedom of expression and accountability have no choice but to join the Red protest. For a start, why has Thaksin and democracy been made to become one and the same? How has Thaksin come to monopolise the democratic ideals when he did not symbolise or promote any of them when he was in power? Is the Red protest becoming an umbrella for people of all kinds of political leaning except authoritarianism? If so, is there something at work that is pushing people away to that side?

On a side note: it is possible that the whole Red Surge is but a plan for Thaksin to maximise his bargaining power before he finally agrees to sit down at a negotiating table. That sounds like a more sensible option than a bloody clash and Pyrrhic victory for either camp.

However, even if a negotiation does take place, it does not necessarily mean the Red Spirit will be put to rest. There are red-clad liberals who insist that their joining the movement is not about Thaksin at all but because they are either sick of the military coups d'etat or the injustice in society. How do we cope with that?

Tolerance, I think, is the key. There is no need to be fearful and to try to suppress or prosecute people who think differently. Doing so would further polarise the public and re-create the dangerous paranoia of the '70s with its disastrous outcomes. Instead of lumping everyone who embraces freedom of expression and accountability into the Red camp, the government and relevant authorities would do better by engaging these people.

Instead of trying to gag differences of opinion or suppress ones that are viewed as sensitive, it might be a better idea to try to open things up. Give public space or forums for people from various backgrounds and political ideologies to express their ideas. That way, we can probably find a new agenda for the country that goes beyond the current conflict of personalities, that is capable of accommodating the vision and dreams of the majority of the people.

Ultimately, it will not be Thaksin and Co who are able to paint the whole town red. It will be the continued suppression of a desire for change and free flow of information and ideas that will.

new2thai says "let's suppress freedom of speech" by blocking the broadcasts. What part of "freedom of speech" or "democracy" eludes you?

So what am I supposed to do when I see Thaksin in Dubai? Should I kindly ask him to step on a plane heading to Bangkok with me so I can claim the money or should first violently thrash him, put him in a suitcase and then transport him back to Bangkok?

What a stupid article....

Another Thai joke, not april the 1st again is it ?. :o .A million baht, a million dollars and maybe someone would show interest, !

My thoughts exactly at first. Then I also go along with the later post. That It is an insult.

jb1

These people are obviously publicity seekers and know their money is safe - 1000,000 baht to bring in such a powerfull man! It is equivelant to offering a 10 baht reward for a missing pet :o

i think you are right, its just for show. this paltry sum of money for the ex PM

Is this part of the previous quazi-political movement with semi-official backing or a new organization - are we going to have a new coloured shirt???

I hope not.

The GF tells me that I cannot go out wearing either red or yellow as it is at present. I just hope that the next faction won't choose "white, black or any shade of blue" :o

What happened to everyone wearing the yellow shirt on Friday!?

It used to be a sign of respect to the King not politics.

Or is yellow considered gold on Fridays?

Notice the STRONG PROPAGANDA element here? The protagonists have changed the focus in this article, from anti-GOVERNMENT - non elected government that is, to anti-MONARCHY! This is rather a leap of faith, don't you think? And clandestinely inciting civil war too! That's amazing stuff. There's clearly some very important & powerful people at work here, that may just be starting to get a little worried?

There have always been "important and powerful" people at work here (on both sides), and "they" are always worried when their bank accounts diminish :o

This is similar to putting a hit or a 'contract' out on someone. I would tend to think that only the gov't can legally do this--or at a minimum, it must be approved by the gov't. Or maybe it is!

I have trouble supporting Thaksin the man, but the continued persecution of him speaks volumes.

What ultimately is at stake in this country is the process of democracy.

An off-topic post and the replies to it have been deleted. The news article in the OP is about a certain person being brought back to Thailand alive for prosecution.

--

Maestro

Why dont they pay for someone who can bring the international terrorists who closed the airport, dont they think this is much more important ? :o

Because Thailand would no longer have a PM or cabinet if they arrested those responsible for the airport seizure. The PAD and the current regime are "two in the same" They will be brought to justice ONLY if the current bozos are thrown out. Not a moment before.

Why dont they pay for someone who can bring the international terrorists who closed the airport, dont they think this is much more important ? :o

Because Thailand would no longer have a PM or cabinet if they arrested those responsible for the airport seizure. The PAD and the current regime are "two in the same" They will be brought to justice ONLY if the current bozos are thrown out. Not a moment before.

They, the PAD instigated a meeting, a happening at suvannabhum!

NO "seizure", NO closure!

that was done by the AOT - Airport Authority of Thailand!

To "justice" by whom - by the fugitive and his cronies?

...the international terrorists who closed the airport...

Source, please.

I was upset, too, about the closure of the airport, but this is the first time that I hear that international terrorists closed it. Perhaps better go and post the source to it in the topic about the airport closure, as it would be off topic here.

Assuming this "United Siam" is a private organisation, the issued statement and reward are also a slap in the face of the government en the juristic institutions. It clearly says this government is useless and we should do something ourselves. The risk of dodgy "entrepreneurship" is real. No matter what happens to Thaksin and whether he should be brought to trial or not, the government should quickly condemn initiatives like these and start acting responsibly and swiftly.

Nah, not enough drama