Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

I sat and watched the "chef" there deep fry the chips until they were burnt into submission..kinda freaked me out seeing extremely dark chips like that..

"extra crispy" I guess...

and then placed 'em under the salamander, I guess to get them even more "extra cripsy".. :D

But other than the taste..they held up to the salsa pretty much.

:o

I had never seen no less eaten chips that "brownish black" before....

Man, I gatta go get some Mex and wash it down with an ice cold techate...mummm

Comida mexicano mak mak loy jao ( Spanisthai) :D

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what you are referring to. I don't think that they serve any kind of "chips" other than tortilla chips which are a commercial brand that have already been cooked and which I have never seen "burnt". Have they changed the recipe? :o

I wonder what you are referring to. I don't think that they serve any kind of "chips" other than tortilla chips which are a commercial brand that have already been cooked and which I have never seen "burnt". Have they changed the recipe? :o

Yes, UG..they musta changed the recipe cuz I watched with mine own two eyes ...tortilla chips placed into the fryer ...removed, deep deep browinsh color, drained, placed under the salamander for a few more minutes, removed, cheese'd, again under the salamander, removed after a few and then served.

Extra crispy.

And I ate 'em. :D

@Austhaied

I'm little bit astonished about your enthusiasm for Miguels Cafe. Are you involved in this business or is your best friend running it?

Neither.

I'm "astonished" that you would ask such a silly question.

I guess my glass is half full i suppose.

Just spent my 2nd evening in Girasole Italian restaurant and I must say the food is superb, staff attentive, price excellent, choice adequate in a great environment. Would recommend to anyone!!!! great job Stefano! will come again next time we are here.

Maybe we should split this forum into three forums:

1. Good places in Chiang Mai to eat Hamburgers

2. Good places in Chiang Mai to eat Mexican Food

3. Good places in Chiang Mai to eat anything else

Doing so would save a lot of us much time. So we would not have to scroll through all this Hamburger and Mexican Food postings.

Edited by cnxmike

Doing so would save a lot of us much time. So we would not have to scroll through all this Hamburger and Mexican Food postings.

What about the poor soul (mod) that will have to "waste his time" sorting through the old threads ?

What about the poor soul (mod) that will have to "waste his time" sorting through the old threads ?

Why not just start new ones? It'll give us all something to do....

Yes, UG..they musta changed the recipe cuz I watched with mine own two eyes ...tortilla chips placed into the fryer ...removed, deep deep browinsh color, drained, placed under the salamander for a few more minutes, removed, cheese'd, again under the salamander, removed after a few and then served.

Extra crispy.

And I ate 'em. :D

I went by Miguel's today and had Wavos Rancharous and it was great!.

They told me that the tortilla chips are the same ones that I thought, but they buy the dough and fry it themselves so that the chips are very fresh, rather than buy them in bags. They always looked really good to me, but I usually avoid them because of my weight.

Edited by Ulysses G.

i love japanese food so i think Tsinami near Chiang Mai Phu Kam hotel is a nice one too

taste good and cheap

'Tsinami' is not possible as a Japanese word. Is it possible that the name of the place is 'Tsunami'?

Don't let a certain Mr. Blinky Bill, famous as a stern guardian of correctness in spelling and grammar, catch you saying that. :D

Are you referring to how a spell this famous Mexican breakfast that I don't have a clue how to spell? :o

Don't let a certain Mr. Blinky Bill, famous as a stern guardian of correctness in spelling and grammar, catch you saying that. :D

Are you referring to how a spell this famous Mexican breakfast that I don't have a clue how to spell? :o

Bingo! That, plus the fact that it is a plural noun, calling for a plural form of the verb. Pretty sure what you had was uevos rancheros. Ranch eggs. :D

Best veggie restuarant & my overall favorite in Chiang Mai - Khun Churn on Nimmanhemind Soi7. They've got a dynamite lunch buffet for 60 baht, nice setting & in the evenings there's a chance of decent music too.

I'll second that, I've been here a few times too, they have an unbelievable selection considering the price (I think it's 75bt now). I'm not a vegetarian myself, but would still consider this as one of my Chiang Mai Favourites.

Best veggie restuarant & my overall favorite in Chiang Mai - Khun Churn on Nimmanhemind Soi7. They've got a dynamite lunch buffet for 60 baht, nice setting & in the evenings there's a chance of decent music too.

I'll second that, I've been here a few times too, they have an unbelievable selection considering the price (I think it's 75bt now). I'm not a vegetarian myself, but would still consider this as one of my Chiang Mai Favourites.

I'm always surprised to read that people like this place. It's a nice setting, but to me the food is pretty flavorless and you can see they don't use the best of ingrediants. Have you tried many other vegetarian restaurants here? There are some really good ones around.

I'm always surprised to read that people like this place. It's a nice setting, but to me the food is pretty flavorless and you can see they don't use the best of ingrediants. Have you tried many other vegetarian restaurants here? There are some really good ones around.

I agree, to me the veg fare at Khun Churn is over-rated. The best place I've tried is the relatively new Pun Pun inside Wat Suan Dok. Light and tasty, not so much heavily fried food as at KC or the two veg places on Suthep Rd near Wat Suan Dok, which are also pretty non-impressive. I also like the CM Vegetarian Centre on Mahidol, but the new place at Wat Suan Dok is still the best.

Care to share a name? :o 1/2 block inside the Chiang Mai Gate applies to approx. 14 places...

A Thai friend told me that his favorite veg place is about 1/2 block inside the Chiang Mai Gate (in the old city). I finally tried it the other day and was impressed. :D

Sorry, but I found it without knowing the name.

It has big yellow and red canvas hangings (I think those colors are for "J" or vegetarian restaurants) out front and on the glass has a Chinese name and mentions something about being vegetarian. I think that it is the only one.

I agree, to me the veg fare at Khun Churn is over-rated. The best place I've tried is the relatively new Pun Pun inside Wat Suan Dok. Light and tasty, not so much heavily fried food as at KC or the two veg places on Suthep Rd near Wat Suan Dok, which are also pretty non-impressive. I also like the CM Vegetarian Centre on Mahidol, but the new place at Wat Suan Dok is still the best.

Man, I was "aroi'ing like a native by the time I left there today. Great recommendation, thanks. Very very flavorful vegetarian cuisine. Had the khao phat nam liap and it tasted like some kind of cajun/thai fusion. Fantastic! Every other dish I tried equally delicious.

The PunPun name should have registered with me previously. I've been acquainted with Khun Jo Jondai since I came to Thailand. I really dig everything he's about and I'm very pleased he's found a way to mainstream his message and make it more accessible to people.. Think I'll take another trip up his way this week and see what's shaking.

http://www.punpunthailand.org/

Care to share a name? :o 1/2 block inside the Chiang Mai Gate applies to approx. 14 places...
A Thai friend told me that his favorite veg place is about 1/2 block inside the Chiang Mai Gate (in the old city). I finally tried it the other day and was impressed. :D

Tien Sieng is written on the window in English. The big sign is written in Thai.

Man, I was "aroi'ing like a native by the time I left there today. Great recommendation, thanks. Very very flavorful vegetarian cuisine. Had the khao phat nam liap and it tasted like some kind of cajun/thai fusion. Fantastic! Every other dish I tried equally delicious.

The PunPun name should have registered with me previously. I've been acquainted with Khun Jo Jondai since I came to Thailand. I really dig everything he's about and I'm very pleased he's found a way to mainstream his message and make it more accessible to people.. Think I'll take another trip up his way this week and see what's shaking.

http://www.punpunthailand.org/

The chef really puts his heart and soul into the cuisine there. Not the same old repetitive aahaan jeh we're used to. And I agree, great to support the Pun Pun organisation.

Having spent hours trying to sort out such threads believe me when I say I am not interested in doing it in this thread. There are plenty of Hamburger etc threads to satisfy the food specificists and this one will remain generic for food of all types no matter how much time it will save people such as cnxmike.

:D

CB

Since Blinky Bill has not stepped in to correct the ortografia, I will fill the breach: the first letter is a silent h -

huevos rancheros

eggs (plural), ranch style

No problema

Gracias, senor, and one good turn deserves another. Did you perhaps not mean to say 'Since Blinky Bill has not stepped in to orthographize'?

Likewise.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we are discussing Mexican food, I guess I can quote this online dictionary:

"spell (v.) deletrear, escribir correctamente, ortografiar; significar"

Now, back to great food, this time at Bake and Bite: yesterday I had the best sandwich I have ever eaten in Asia. I never had such a BLT even in America. Aroi mahk! I may give up on Amazing Sandwich, since B&B's is better.

Now, back to great food, this time at Bake and Bite: yesterday I had the best sandwich I have ever eaten in Asia. I never had such a BLT even in America.

Since you don't quite say that it was the best BLT you have had in the world, I am left wondering: where did you cross paths with same?

Now, back to great food, this time at Bake and Bite: yesterday I had the best sandwich I have ever eaten in Asia. I never had such a BLT even in America.

Since you don't quite say that it was the best BLT you have had in the world, I am left wondering: where did you cross paths with same?

I recall eating BLT's in the restaurant of the Buena Park Hotel, before Grandma died in 1954, so let me go out on an extraterrestial limb and say it was definitely the best BLT sandwich I have ever had in the Milky Way. But it was not as good as the Milky Way bars in America. But not being fluid in French, I cannot claim to be a raconteur, connoisseur, provocateur, or purveyor of pernicious anemia. As for the BLT, the bread was magnificent, the lettuce and lettuce were both crisp, the tomato had great flavor, the atmosphere was convivial, and the parking free.