Tzr 150? 200+km/h?

Hi.

Yes it was me who made that claim that a TZM *should* crack the 180, stock. Why? Because a stock RXZ is quoted at 160, factory specs that is (Yamaha still makes them), and that bike has 135cc and no YPVS. Also an RXZ is NOT fully faired like a TZM. RXZ is quoted at 21 horse power (again, stock) while a TZM should have beyond 30 at close to the same weight.

I have quite some experience with "open" 50cc bikes (yes that's fifty cc's) with 6.25 respectively 8.5 horse power. Granted they are smaller and lighter than an RXZ or TZM but the difference in displacement and power is dramatic, too. A stock (!) Zundapp KS 50 does routinely 110 km/h and that wild Puch Cobra that i owned (export version with 8.5 hp) did 140 according to speedo, let that be 125 in real. The world record is still held by Zundapp (at least i think so, or maybe Kreidler) with 220+ km/h top speed and 160 km/h average speed over 12 hours - that is 50cc! Granted a racing bike but 50cc none the less.

That was in the 70's.

So why shouldn't a TZM do 180..? I have a VRR which has a very similar engine (minus YPVS) and should be similar in top speed. I haven't tested it yet as i am selling that bike. I'm an RXZ guy :)

Best regards....

Thanh

I have ridden lots of bikes here in Thailand, most of them racy, flashy little things. Have you guys?

But still I like the feel of my old faithful NSR150 vibrating between my thighs. And she is a real screamer. Plus she is a lot cheaper to maintain and I dont have to take her shopping.

I have ridden lots of bikes here in Thailand, most of them racy, flashy little things. Have you guys?

But still I like the feel of my old faithful NSR150 vibrating between my thighs. And she is a real screamer. Plus she is a lot cheaper to maintain and I dont have to take her shopping.

Thank you Tomartoh.... that made me laugh :):D:D:D:D

I particularly like the last bit.

Posts have bee removed.

It is not my business to get in the middle of a personal dispute, however, it is my business to attempt/facilitate smooth running of this forum for all member's benefit.

For the last time, please keep private disputes exactly that, private.

INTJ. I am thinking of getting a TZM150 so maybe if all goes well you might end up buying it for me.

So. Lets just set some ground rules... It's stock speedo speed using a 100/70/17 or a 110/70/17 front tyre. and a rider between 70 and 80kg's, gearing up to me (but manageable acceleration) Is this OK.

Allan

Thahn how much do you weigh. I might need a rider :):D :D

Edited by thaicbr

Well, I had a Yamaha RD 350 YPVS with oversized Wiseco pistons. Still, I recall topping 200 km/h according to the bike's instrument. An accurate speed measurement might still show it was below 200. Maybe the stock TZR might reach 190+. There is no way a stock 150 cc stroker is reaching 200 km/h, period!

Once I rode a tuned mofa, 50 cc with racing exhaust and an engine good for maybe 150 km. It was amazing but ended at maybe 75 km/h. Racing 2-stroke 500s reach 300 km/h in less than 6 seconds with a skinny pro rider. But then, riding a bike is more than drag racing in town.

Go to a mountain region with less traffic, then you experience real fun!

Hi.

A TZR is a powerful bike and should, all stock, easily do 180+ km/h. They have in the area of 35 horse power with the power valve engine (150cc that is). I have an RXZ which is all-stock engine wise (but modified air box) and does 140, that is 135cc without YPVS and around 20 horse power.

I also have another RXZ that is bored up to 150cc and ported, it has, according to the mechanic at the shop where i do my servicing, roughly 35 horse power as well (stock carb and air box, Tsukigi racing pipe) and does 183 km/h as per digital speedo (breaking 200 on the stock one). That is despite having a chopper-type wind shield and a Givi-box on the rear and some other add-ons that increase the weight. With a larger carb, modified air box and custom pipe i could get up to 65 horse power out of that engine and break 210 real km/h. I use stock size tyres 2.75/18 front and 3.00/18 rear, Michelin rubbers.

Getting to that top speed is work however, requiring to rev each gear to the max (just beyond 14k rpm) before shifting up. If i race then drag-only because that bike is NOT a corner-star, it's more like a train - always wants to go straight but with ample power :) Also the rear sprocket has been changed from stock 47 to a 40.

I am planning (and very slowly progressing) to make that other RXZ a track bike, in the end i will have the cylinder bored to max possible at the same stroke (180cc) and, with matching pipe and carb, hope to reach 70+ horse power and 230+ km/h. That bike is of course MUCH lighter than the other one.

Best regards....

Thanh

I am on a budget and am intersted in what you have said. I want to sell my vfr and get a 2 stroke, but have it perform at least comparable to the vfr. The cbr 150 is much too slow for my liking. Im not concerned if i can only go 170 and get there fast (being a 2 stroke), but a cbr 150 is a problem. :D

I dont care about low power and at low revs and have no problem cruising around in high rpms around bangkok. But with a 2 stroke I just cannot expect the same engine breaking quality eh?

Where's Submaniac when you need him. he's got a Tzm150

Submaniac is like the police. When there's a robbery going down he's never there when you need him. But when it is an inopportune time, and you don't really want him around he will show up, and tell you to keep the noise at the party down. He also will not add anything constructive but make a smartass comment before grabbing some donuts and leaving.

I am kicking myself for missing a juicy two stroke discussion. But guys, really, those little bikes are capable of hitting those kind of top end speeds. 160 KPH? Not a problem. 170? Doable. 180kph-200kph. Maybe. Definitely not impossible. Given the requisite combination of light rider, long stretch of road, modifications, and a tailwind, yeah it is possible.

Motorcycle news Australia claims a light rider hit 190kph on an NSR150sp: http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/...da/NSR150SP.htm The article also noted that the test rider thought that 200kph was possible given a long enoguh stretch of road ["I achieved just over 170kph down the main straight, a lighter rider managed just over 190, it would probably get on to 200 given a long enough stretch."]

I can tell you from personal experience from owning a TZM150 and NSR150rr, that yeah, I think on the top end they can go pretty high. However, I would not recommend it. I really don't know what the top speed is, and when I tried it on the TZM it scared me. There is no place in the general Bangkok metro area that you can safely do those kinds of speeds (you could hit it, but the 'safely' coming to a stop part would be a problem). I tried when I was riding to Pattaya (which I will never do again because it is such a miserable ride).

The problem I found was that at the higher speeds, it was a gradual acceleration and you really need a good, long stretch of open road to get to the top speed. Like I was cranking it WOT, and it yes, it was going faster, but ever so slowly faster. And when you are doing it, that little 1 cylinder engine is screaming in agony. To keep it revving at those rpms over any sustained distance is gonna be a problem. Like something bad is going to happen. And when I tried it going from BKK to Pattaya, something bad did happen. I was cranking it for a while, and it started sputtering, like it wasn't getting enough fuel, or the fuel was being cutoff. It is a failry long ride from BKK to Pattaya, and when I got to Pattaya, the bike just wasn't running right. I ended up having it hauled back to BKK, and rebuilding the engine. I don't know if it needed a rebuild, but I want my bikes to be well maintained, and--since it is a simple two stroke--it only cost 8,000 baht so I had it done. Keep in mind that when I got my bike, it had been thrashed by the previous owner, so it was probably due and I would rather err on the safe side than risk stalling in the middle of BKK traffic.

The other big problem I had is that the little bikes just are not stable at speed. They are better than the Mios, Finos, Waves, and all, but they are not a high speed touring bike. They are so light weight, and the tires are skinny, that the bike just felt so unstable at high speeds. Like I felt I was flying when I hit the bumps. There is such little rubber making contact with the road, that I just couldn't feel comfortable with going into corners with any kind or real speed. I mean, just because the bike is capable of running that fast, doesn't mean you should.

Edited by submaniac

Submaniac is like the police. When there's a robbery going down he's never there when you need him. But when it is an inopportune time, and you don't really want him around he will show up, and tell you to keep the noise at the party down. He also will not add anything constructive but make a smartass comment before grabbing some donuts and leaving.

Ha ha ha ha!!! Classic! :D:D:)

• 5 weeks later...
i know 3 cbr 150's that are doing 160kph, speedometer not gps...but since no bike is 100% accurate, its compareable to other bikes...all riders are under 80 kilos.

This coming from the guy that claims his 150 can smoke a liter bike... :):D

A 125cc race bike can yes, but take alot of $$$$$

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am kicking myself for missing a juicy two stroke discussion. But guys, really, those little bikes are capable of hitting those kind of top end speeds. 160 KPH? Not a problem. 170? Doable. 180kph-200kph. Maybe. Definitely not impossible. Given the requisite combination of light rider, long stretch of road, modifications, and a tailwind, yeah it is possible.

Motorcycle news Australia claims a light rider hit 190kph on an NSR150sp: http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/...da/NSR150SP.htm The article also noted that the test rider thought that 200kph was possible given a long enoguh stretch of road ["I achieved just over 170kph down the main straight, a lighter rider managed just over 190, it would probably get on to 200 given a long enough stretch."]

I can tell you from personal experience from owning a TZM150 and NSR150rr, that yeah, I think on the top end they can go pretty high. However, I would not recommend it. I really don't know what the top speed is, and when I tried it on the TZM it scared me. There is no place in the general Bangkok metro area that you can safely do those kinds of speeds (you could hit it, but the 'safely' coming to a stop part would be a problem). I tried when I was riding to Pattaya (which I will never do again because it is such a miserable ride).

The problem I found was that at the higher speeds, it was a gradual acceleration and you really need a good, long stretch of open road to get to the top speed. Like I was cranking it WOT, and it yes, it was going faster, but ever so slowly faster. And when you are doing it, that little 1 cylinder engine is screaming in agony. To keep it revving at those rpms over any sustained distance is gonna be a problem. Like something bad is going to happen. And when I tried it going from BKK to Pattaya, something bad did happen. I was cranking it for a while, and it started sputtering, like it wasn't getting enough fuel, or the fuel was being cutoff. It is a failry long ride from BKK to Pattaya, and when I got to Pattaya, the bike just wasn't running right. I ended up having it hauled back to BKK, and rebuilding the engine. I don't know if it needed a rebuild, but I want my bikes to be well maintained, and--since it is a simple two stroke--it only cost 8,000 baht so I had it done. Keep in mind that when I got my bike, it had been thrashed by the previous owner, so it was probably due and I would rather err on the safe side than risk stalling in the middle of BKK traffic.

The other big problem I had is that the little bikes just are not stable at speed. They are better than the Mios, Finos, Waves, and all, but they are not a high speed touring bike. They are so light weight, and the tires are skinny, that the bike just felt so unstable at high speeds. Like I felt I was flying when I hit the bumps. There is such little rubber making contact with the road, that I just couldn't feel comfortable with going into corners with any kind or real speed. I mean, just because the bike is capable of running that fast, doesn't mean you should.

You da man - knowin' all dat real shit! I usta take my 1st generation NSR150 down along Sukhumvit in Samutprakan about 10 Ks and give it everything - it would eventually do 100mph but took so long getting there and felt so light (Iam/was 70kg.) that you didn't want to risk staying there much longer. Of course, red lining every gear on the way there it sounds like having the shirt torn off your back (just like a Porsche 911 - or so they say) which is GREAT!

BTW you look like the guy who used to have a midnight blue Yamaha TDR (?) 200 2T. The most SEXY LITTLE BEAST ever from the sons of Nipon !!! I wonder what they went like?

PS: Saw one a few years ago in Nonthaburi with an SRX motor stuffed in it.

post-133770-0-14731000-1309670734_thumb.

Correction: SDR - See what I saying...

You da man - knowin' all dat real shit! I usta take my 1st generation NSR150 down along Sukhumvit in Samutprakan about 10 Ks and give it everything - it would eventually do 100mph but took so long getting there and felt so light (Iam/was 70kg.) that you didn't want to risk staying there much longer. Of course, red lining every gear on the way there it sounds like having the shirt torn off your back (just like a Porsche 911 - or so they say) which is GREAT!

BTW you look like the guy who used to have a midnight blue Yamaha TDR (?) 200 2T. The most SEXY LITTLE BEAST ever from the sons of Nipon !!! I wonder what they went like?

PS: Saw one a few years ago in Nonthaburi with an SRX motor stuffed in it.

post-133770-0-50664200-1309671101_thumb.

i know 3 cbr 150's that are doing 160kph, speedometer not gps...but since no bike is 100% accurate, its compareable to other bikes...all riders are under 80 kilos.

This coming from the guy that claims his 150 can smoke a liter bike... :):D

Probably could on a Go-Kart track B)

i noticed a few mentioned sproket size here, that will mess up any speedo reading big time, 150cc anything will struggle to get anywhere near speeds claimed here and even if they could wow how long would that take lol, my bike red lines in 1st gear at 110kmph in about 3secs.....it's not a 150 lol

i noticed a few mentioned sproket size here, that will mess up any speedo reading big time, 150cc anything will struggle to get anywhere near speeds claimed here and even if they could wow how long would that take lol, my bike red lines in 1st gear at 110kmph in about 3secs.....it's not a 150 lol

Speedo readings for Thai 150cc 2 strokes are taken from the front wheel. Sprocket size won't affect it.

Actually, most of the 'big' 150cc bikes in standard trim can do around 100mph or better - try it yourself.

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

Yeah, blurry photos will do instead. Very precise. 

Instead of coming out with inane comments, why don't you actually go and ride and test a well sorted two stroke water cooled power valve 150 and get back to us.

I have and they surprised me.

It may be hard for you to comprehend, but they will actually do what they say on the tin.

I have a Thai friend who runs his own mom'n'pop corner m/c shop, fully trained Yamaha/Honda mechanic, specializes in KRR's. His own personal KRR WILL HIT 200 kph. The same bike has taken him 80 kms the OTHER side of Udon Thani, down to Buriram, and back in the same day.

I have ridden another one of his KRRs, it was effortless @ 160, cruise all day @ 120 and topped out around 180-185. And i'm a big bloke, 193 cms, 100kgs.

Try it, you might like it.

But then again, i doubt it.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Instead of coming out with inane comments, why don't you actually go and ride and test a well sorted two stroke water cooled power valve 150 and get back to us.

It may be hard for you to comprehend, but they will actually do what they say on the tin.

I have a Thai friend who runs his own mom'n'pop corner m/c shop, fully trained Yamaha/Honda mechanic, specializes in KRR's. His own personal KRR WILL HIT 200 kph. The same bike has taken him 80 kms the OTHER side of Udon Thani, down to Buriram, and back in the same day.

I have ridden another one of his KRRs, it was effortless @ 160, cruise all day @ 120 and topped out around 180-185. And i'm a big bloke, 193 cms, 100kgs.

i have owned, in thailand, a vfr 400r (NC30 derestricted), an nsr 250r MC21, and an NSR150sp,

the first 2 did 200 after derestriction, the nsr150 struggled after 180, as another user said, maybe 200 downhill with a tailwind and a lot of very smooth straight road.

I bought a new NSR150RR in 1995 and it did exceed 160 more than once, including at least one time with my wife on the back. And I also remember hitting 170 at least once. These were indicated speeds, of course.

Bone stock from the showroom. No mods.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, thaiguzzi said:

...where can papa rent one of those?