I'm contemplating a move to Thailand. I'm recently retired, more recently separated, and have been visiting Thailand for about 30 years, probably averaging once a year, maybe a little more. I'm an Asian traveller (no illusions/delusions), having visited all countries in SE Asia, and worked in Singapore, Indonesia, Cambodia and Japan at different times during the past fifteen years.

I could easily live in Bangkok, but don't like the air quality, so will probably make it out in the country, and places I favour are Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi and Sangklaburi, CM being very different from the other two.

Chiang Mai is probably preferred because of its elevation and therefore slightly cooler weather.

I have enough interests to keep me busy, principally music, but will also start learning the language, and possibly offer assistance with English classes, at no cost, as an additional interest.

Money won't be a problem for me as I enjoy a good retirement income.

I would appreciate any input, observations, advice, and even criticisms, that anybody may have, on my plans or any part of my post.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I could easily live in Bangkok, but don't like the air quality, so will probably make it out in the country, and places I favour are Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi and Sangklaburi, CM being very different from the other two.

Chiang Mai is probably preferred because of its elevation and therefore slightly cooler weather.

You are aware that CM (and most of northern Thailand) has some of the worst air quality around...especially for 4-6 months during the dry "burning" season. There are constant articles in the media about smoke, dust, and dangerously high levels of particulate matter in the air during that time; as well as letters to the newspapers complaining about it.

Chiang Mai is like Mexico City, it is somewhat elevated and surrounded by mountains (like the center of a bowl) and once pollution builds-up, it just sits there for weeks on end.

If clean air is important to you, I would definitely stick to someplace near the coast (anywhere from Chaam-am to Surat Thani is nice) or one of the islands (Phuket best as most developed and good air and road links).

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

"I would appreciate any input, observations, advice, and even criticisms, that anybody may have, on my plans or any part of my post. "

I have lived in KL, Sarawak. Saigon, Yangon, Vientiane, Hanoi,

and guess where I like best,

Good old Bangkok!

Keywords: Retired, Air Quality

Yes, the South generally has better air quality then the other parts of Thailand.

But you will also need to be near quality medical care.

Phuket do suffer bad air blowing in from Sumatra's slash and burn, like Singapore and West Malaysia.

I would recommend Hua Hin. Good air quality and good hospital service, and near enough to Bangkok for occasional visits.

Thanks so far.

I have spent some time in Chiang Mai, but obviously never when pollution has been a problem.

Hua Hin is a nice place, and as mentiioned, a lot closer to quality medical care than Sangklaburi, but not so Kanchanaburi.

Can anybody tell me what I could expect to pay for monthly rental in Hua Hin?

Keywords: Retired, Air Quality

Yes, the South generally has better air quality then the other parts of Thailand.

But you will also need to be near quality medical care.

Phuket do suffer bad air blowing in from Sumatra's slash and burn, like Singapore and West Malaysia.

I would recommend Hua Hin. Good air quality and good hospital service, and near enough to Bangkok for occasional visits.

You are aware that CM (and most of northern Thailand) has some of the worst air quality around...especially for 4-6 months during the dry "burning" season. There are constant articles in the media about smoke, dust, and dangerously high levels of particulate matter in the air during that time; as well as letters to the newspapers complaining about it.

Chiang Mai is like Mexico City, it is somewhat elevated and surrounded by mountains (like the center of a bowl) and once pollution builds-up, it just sits there for weeks on end.

If clean air is important to you, I would definitely stick to someplace near the coast (anywhere from Chaam-am to Surat Thani is nice) or one of the islands (Phuket best as most developed and good air and road links).

That's misinformation. Chiang Mai has a problem with pollution from burning from late February till early April. Ex the month of March, on an annual basis, Chiang Mai has some of the cleanest air of anywhere in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1910748

One word of advice, If you want to help people learn English, you will need a work permit, even though you said "at no cosy" It is still classed as work. Thai people cannot be trust, there are good and bad and unfortunately bad people who think they are good in that they will report you. End of story - good-bye to your retirement visa and a ban from re-entry.