Undercoat? Does It Exist?

sleepyjohn

Hi there

I have never come across what I'd call true undercoat for gloss paint......and it's the undercoat that can make a white gloss coat gleaming and a very strong and solid white rather than a sort of somewhat off-whitish see-thru second-grade not-cover-the-colour-below-properly finish.

I've seen one that says undercoat but on the can it says its a primer too. Well if it has priming properties I'm guessing it's not the normal undercoat which is does 90% towards a proper finish. Or am I misjudging?

What's the story anyone?

John

Sleepyjohn. Don't worry if you have found Primer/undercoat Perfectly Ok

I take it the Item as already been Painted ?? with Gloss paint

Just make sure if that is the case to give it a light Sanding

Hello Ken

I saw some today in Homepro.

It says use it as a primer AND and undercoat as I thought, suggested one coat then two coats gloss.

Well you know I've done more decorating than I ever wanted to in my younger days. The principle is that primer stops bare wood sucking up the paint. Then you make the thing white with the undercoat. The secret of the perfect finish is to make the undercoat perfect with no holes or cracks, if necessary with more than one coat. With that done the gloss is just dragged off the brush with the greatest ease by the undercoat, and two coats is superfluous and the second may start to run whereas undercoat holds the forst coat up beautifully.

Are you saying one can get the perfect finish with their undercoat here? I only ask because I've never seen white gloss which looked right, always sort of transparent.....

cheers

Sleepyjohn. Don't worry if you have found Primer/undercoat Perfectly Ok

I take it the Item as already been Painted ?? with Gloss paint

Just make sure if that is the case to give it a light Sanding

Hello Ken

I saw some today in Homepro.

It says use it as a primer AND and undercoat as I thought, suggested one coat then two coats gloss.

Well you know I've done more decorating than I ever wanted to in my younger days. The principle is that primer stops bare wood sucking up the paint. Then you make the thing white with the undercoat. The secret of the perfect finish is to make the undercoat perfect with no holes or cracks, if necessary with more than one coat. With that done the gloss is just dragged off the brush with the greatest ease by the undercoat, and two coats is superfluous and the second may start to run whereas undercoat holds the forst coat up beautifully.

Are you saying one can get the perfect finish with their undercoat here? I only ask because I've never seen white gloss which looked right, always sort of transparent.....

cheers

As a professional decorator/painter in the UK I too had the same problem but found a solitary 2.5 lit tin of dulux undercoat ina hardware shop. Thick with dust it took ages to mix up in the tin but was fine. Its extremely thin in Thailand almost like water, it is oil based. Contact dulux to find stockists. Its called Speed undercoat or something like that. It needs at least 2 COATS OF THIS AS ITS SO THIN .