State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

I am by no means a PAD supporter nor do I support Thaksin. But I just felt I had to post this...

Let me first say I respect your opinions regardless of whose side you're on. From what I can tell, the general consensus here seems to be anti-red. This is fine, but I'd really like to know where you are getting your information from.

A lot of news organizations seem to be pointing their finger at the pro-Thaksin demonstrators. I'm not saying these people are innocent of any wrong-doing, but I think a lot of what we're hearing is over-exaggerated. Apart from Thaksin interviews on CNN and the BBC, I have not seen a single interview with protesters who have been directly involved in the clashes. Since the Government has been feeding the news media information all day, I think the protesters should be offered a chance to tell their side of the story. Anyone with half a brain will know this is the right and fair thing to do. As of 11pm, most UDD websites have been either blocked or shutdown. Seems to me like the powers that be are trying to hide something...

Has it occurred to any of you, the anti-red-shirt sentiment you're hearing is the result of a clever propaganda campaign orchestrated by the Government? Trust me, this wouldn't be the first time, propaganda has always been utilized whenever there's a political crisis (for as long as I can remember). To be honest, I think news organizations have got themselves so wrapped up in all this, they are unable to be objective much less realize the truth even if it bit them on the ass.

With firm control over the local news media, the amount of propaganda coming from the Government is quite 'appalling'. I'm not one to accuse the Government of lying, but the truth definitely isn't getting out beyond the borders of the Government House. What you are witnessing is just a glimpse of a bigger and gruesome picture. Quite the opposite from what PM Abhisit or Mr. Suthep wants you to see or believe. It's pathetic. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm beginning to feel sympathy towards the protesters.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, don't trust everything you read or hear; to put it bluntly, don't be a naive little sh*t. There are both sides to every story, be objective and keep an open mind. No one can cover up the truth -- not the Government, PAD, UDD, or even Thaksin.

Excellent post! It's vary hard to find one like this in this news section. Cheer mate!

It's a shame to see lots of posts with siding comments, flamings and personal attacks. But, once you have been in ThaiVisa for some times, you will know what/who to skip and it'll be really fast to read a topic with over 80 pages. :o

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current battle is over. The leaders of the reds are now on stage at Government House telling their supporters to go home. The Government has done a wonderful job. But this is far from over, believe me.

Agreed. So this threat should be closed. To shut up or the Farang with Thai wifes.

mmm, I understand, so you can go back quickly in Nana soi Cowboy :o:D

So now brace yourself for Koo/ Level Head et al, to come on here proclaiming that they know a friend of a friend of a friend who was brutally murdered/shot/tortured, by the army. Blah, Blah, Blah

Jackndanny, can you switch the Honda in your avatar with Thaksin? :o:D

Thai news said there were in total around 60 buses to take the protesters home. It seems that they were filling them up in groups of four. Once one set of four buses was full, another four came in, hence the possible confusion over having four buses.

**EDIT**

Maybe not quite as I explained it. This is from the Bangkok War Zone thread:

60 buses take up protesters from Royal Plaza

To speed up the process of sending protesters back home, the authorities sent 60 buses to pick them up at the Royal Plaza.

Earlier, the authorities used 4 busses to send them to provincial bus terminals but the process was too slow.

- THE NATION -

Edited by andyst

Guest Reimar
Sadly, today's developments don't resolve the deep divide in Thailand.

Even Rom was need years to rebuild after burned down within 1-2 day's!

I dont care if it was a propaganda stunt or not. It looks like the reds lost and caused trouble and even if this is not the whole story I'm glad it is portrayed this way. Why? Because it will help people to sympathize with the current government and this hopefully brings more stability to the country.

A lot of news organizations seem to be pointing their finger at the pro-Thaksin demonstrators. I'm not saying these people are innocent of any wrong-doing, but I think a lot of what we're hearing is over-exaggerated. Apart from Thaksin interviews on CNN and the BBC, I have not seen a single interview with protesters who have been directly involved in the clashes. Since the Government has been feeding the news media information all day, I think the protesters should be offered a chance to tell their side of the story. Anyone with half a brain will know this is the right and fair thing to do.

Honestly, I think many of the people who were brought in to protest probably couldn't answer why they are there more than the usual parroting of Thaksin's rhetoric. I think that is the most criminal thing about all of this. Thaksin played upon the emotions of these Issan farmers and low wage earners to forward his agenda to recover the 76 million that he stole from the Thai people in the first place. Add some Lao Khao (and possibly Yabaa), and the follies of the mob rule began.

Of course it got out of hand, how could it not? These poor people just get used by Pu Yai like Thaksin, without really knowing what they are fighting for. I hope this has opened some eyes in Issan.

Oh, and as to the conspiracy theories? Have you heard of Occam's razor? The complicated stories you are coming up with would require much more control and resources than what the Thai government is actually capable of.

**Edited for spelling***

Edited by Meridian007

Where is our resident red freedom fighter Koo Klux Klan? Injured, arrested or sitting on a bus feeling sorry for himself/herself and wondering what the hel_l made him/her believe in Thaksin's false words???

So are we gonna have another red invasion on the streets? We seem to have already had 'The Final Showdown', 'The Final War', 'The Last Stand' and 'The End Game' ... anything else in the can, or has Rocky finally hung up his gloves?

300 troops move into the rally ground outside Government House

After protesters left the rally site to board buses to return home, some 300 soldiers moved in to check the area behind the main stage in front of Government House.

- THE NATION -

Guys the woman I know who smsed me yesterday about the fact that they are not allowed to go home today is not picking up the phone my other thai pro-red who went there also don't pick up the phone, actually the phones are plain dead.... EVERYTHING you have seen on TV about the REDs here and there probably was staged to discredit reds, and I can say people that I know NEVER GOT PAID for being there it was their own decision, to stand up for their rights, they were all standing near the goverment house.

Don't you think it was so easy to discredit reds by dressing up other people as reds and allow them to do whatever for a day or 2, to then have rights to wipe the real reds away????

Justy think about it...

Pattaya was waaaay too staged up ( IMHO ) it was made to that ALL who attend the summit would see how BAD are the reds. For this the security allowed reds inside, and if you look at it all from a different angle you will see that all looks strange and really fishy.

I think your nickname says it all "Lazycat". Why don't you hop off your computer and go down the road for an "opening special" - it's after 11am....but you'll have to be out by 2pm

Should not be ignored easilly what Lazy Cat says.

It would be very wrong to simplify whole thing so, to reject this possibility what Lazy Cat posted. This is not jus a clash, just a riot in a short term. Anything in Thiland is not simple as in western world usually is, that shows history, so why this would be?

The rooths of conflicts are deeper and worth to think about what Lazy Cat says.

Political framework in Thailand is not easy for westerners to understand.

This is a war between

1. red shirts(PPP),

2. yellow shirts(democrats),

3. the Capitalists (the old money, oligarchies here) plus new money from modern business

4. Civil Society

5. Invisible hands

All of them are factors in Thai society and all of them should to sit and talk so will be no blood or problem anymore. The problem is they are all standing on their own positions, without any wish to accept any other solution, defending their own interests, whatever does it cost.

Whatever!

So, is this all over now? The reds are scared the Army used fire so easilly? They don't have strong ideology and idea about doing this all? Their actiong is short breath? They are afraid of guns so they gave up all? I don't think so. They will just recompose and change strategy because not any of them expected the army and democrats will use weapon so easilly. That was surprise.

We will see what will be the next move of reds but this is not end of anything they planed as general idea. The question is what will be inside of their leadership. What stream will be dominant. Military wing, hawks or peacefully preotestor's wing? That is the question. Just don't underestimate them.

Hey Lazycat, I hope I got you before you went off for one? Stepenwolf is gonna join you.

Both of you know so much about what's goinh on, I'm sure you'll get on like a house on fire.......or is that a bus?

Both of you should know a bit more about what is actually going on before you post such shallow comments.

Well, please don't be so naive or should i say primitive to saying for anyon's opinion as "shallow". What kind of right do you have,anyway, to disqualifying any opposite thoughts to yours? Di you ever heard about words like DEMOCRACY,FREDDOM OF SPEACH. All of us have right to think as we want to, based on our age, experience in life and work. So, let me know about you? Are you living here? For how long? What was your occupation in your country? This way i am trying to look after the right you have to disqualify any other opinion. So, your turn mate.

Are you a wiseman? I doubt it, as you allow to yourself to be impolite here.

Was you ever, at work in some politic campaign in your country, so you are experienced about politics?

Was you in a government in your country, so that you know mechanism in things such this?

Studied political science, perhaps, so that you are qualified more then some of us?

Please don't try to acting as non civilized people, first of all. Try to have some manners in respecting diferent opinions. Next, try to know more about Thai society and Thai society is not going and hanging around, to let you know.

Try to don't be ridiculous by disqualifying this 5 main streams in Thai society, and to be blind about that classification i posted here. That is observation and study of much more intelligent THAIS then you and i am. That words don't belong to me. Some other man says so, a THai and very respectful intelectual in Thai society.

So please, try to surpres your primal instinct to spit all around, just because you disagree with someone.

This is 21st century, you know?

SO, try to see how much you are wrong. :o

As you may know or don't know in most countries not the government, instead courts decide about prison terms.

Of course it's up to the courts to decide! I don't know of any government handing out prison terms outside a court of law... Perhaps I should have worded my post a bit differently.

Anyhow, the courts better get their acts together soon, 'cause a good majority of the Thai people want the PAD leaders prosecuted for their crimes.

Are you naive or what?

Mark wins = PAD wins.

Kosit stays, and PAD walks free for GH & Airports seizure.

Me being naive? I think not -- far from it actually.

Just because "Mark" wins doesn't mean it's a victory for the PAD. Even before the current crisis began, we started to see rifts between the Democrat Party and the PAD. Sondhi had been making regular statements to the press accusing the Democrats of this and that. But most importantly, he accused Abhisit of not allocating enough administration posts within Government to PAD members. When this information went public, a lot of Thais became infuriated. Even some PAD members came out to denounce this. The Democrats have been attempting to distance themselves from the PAD since.

There's no way the PAD leaders are getting away from the bounds of the law for their GH and Airport seizures. They'll be prosecuted and probably serve light jail terms at most, which is nothing considering the damage they've done.

I don't think Thaksin will be accused, much less convicted of 'high treason'. If any moves to convict him of treason were made, the Government would be perceived as having double standards; a reputation they're being accused of to this day. Let's face it, the PAD occupied the Government House for months. This alone, by Thai Law, is an act of treason. During their occupation of the GH, The PAD leaders were accused of committing high treason and had warrants issued for their arrest. Unfortunately, the court order was quickly revoked by order of the invisible hand and/or the powers that be. Sad but true.

Edited by Supernova

Natthawut surrenders

Natthawut Saikua joined Veera Musigapong to surrendered at the Royal Plaza at 12:22 pm Tuesday.

He left the rally site and saw the protesters boarding buses to provincial bus terminals.

Then, Natthawut joined Veera who was helping the officials direct protesters to board the buses.

- THE NATION -

Where were the air-conditioned buses headed....perhaps an extended holiday at Royal Cliff resort (some rooms still available). They should have exchanged the red shirts for striped shirts and hauled them off to the Bangkok Hilton. :o

I don't drink, but I think that many falang are wondering if the bars are going to be open tonight? :D:D:D

300 troops move into the rally ground outside Government House

After protesters left the rally site to board buses to return home, some 300 soldiers moved in to check the area behind the main stage in front of Government House.

- THE NATION -

Like The yellow PAD protestors, I am sure they will find a lot of nasty left behind by red UDD protesters. Check ASTV or Manager.com tomorrow, and all shall review.

I don't think Thaksin will be accused, much less convicted of 'high treason'. If any moves to convict him of treason were made, the Government would be perceived as having double standards; a reputation they're being accused of to this day. Let's face it, the PAD occupied the Government House for months. This alone, by Thai Law, is an act of treason. During their occupation of the GH, The PAD leaders were accused of committing high treason and had warrants issued for their arrest. Unfortunately, the court order was quickly revoked by order of the invisible hand and/or the powers that be. Sad but true.

While I agree with most of what you said, I think that what was caused by Thaksin and the leaders of the UDD (I know they said they had no control, but they have been recorded urging the reds to do exactly what the reds did) qualifies as treason much more clearly than the occupation of an office building. I agree that the PAD needs to be charged with offences as well, but the big crimes were committed by the big boys in red over the past couple of days.

Very interesting piece by Thanong in his Nation blog:

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/thanong/2009/04/14/entry-2

Very interesting stuff about the armed forces leadershipand Abhisits decison to seemingly set up an alternative leadership to save his PMshipwhen it looked doomed.

Worth a read for all those who have noticed certain faces missing in recent times and half year military reshuffle is due.

I am by no means a PAD supporter nor do I support Thaksin. But I just felt I had to post this...

Let me first say I respect your opinions regardless of whose side you're on. From what I can tell, the general consensus here seems to be anti-red. This is fine, but I'd really like to know where you are getting your information from.

A lot of news organizations seem to be pointing their finger at the pro-Thaksin demonstrators. I'm not saying these people are innocent of any wrong-doing, but I think a lot of what we're hearing is over-exaggerated. Apart from Thaksin interviews on CNN and the BBC, I have not seen a single interview with protesters who have been directly involved in the clashes. Since the Government has been feeding the news media information all day, I think the protesters should be offered a chance to tell their side of the story. Anyone with half a brain will know this is the right and fair thing to do. As of 11pm, most UDD websites have been either blocked or shutdown. Seems to me like the powers that be are trying to hide something...

Has it occurred to any of you, the anti-red-shirt sentiment you're hearing is the result of a clever propaganda campaign orchestrated by the Government? Trust me, this wouldn't be the first time, propaganda has always been utilized whenever there's a political crisis (for as long as I can remember). To be honest, I think news organizations have got themselves so wrapped up in all this, they are unable to be objective much less realize the truth even if it bit them on the ass.

With firm control over the local news media, the amount of propaganda coming from the Government is quite 'appalling'. I'm not one to accuse the Government of lying, but the truth definitely isn't getting out beyond the borders of the Government House. What you are witnessing is just a glimpse of a bigger and gruesome picture. Quite the opposite from what PM Abhisit or Mr. Suthep wants you to see or believe. It's pathetic. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm beginning to feel sympathy towards the protesters.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, don't trust everything you read or hear; to put it bluntly, don't be a naive little sh*t. There are both sides to every story, be objective and keep an open mind. No one can cover up the truth -- not the Government, PAD, UDD, or even Thaksin.

Excellent post! It's vary hard to find one like this in this news section. Cheer mate!

It's a shame to see lots of posts with siding comments, flamings and personal attacks. But, once you have been in ThaiVisa for some times, you will know what/who to skip and it'll be really fast to read a topic with over 80 pages. :D

BRAVO for Supernova...THAT'S exactlly what all of us should to do. Open minds, try to get WHOLE pictures and read between the lines.

Congratulation and thanks colling talks of asided people here(including Thais of both sides here)

:o Funally the right thing here!!!!

Treason charges against PAD were dropped because they had no sense whatsoever. PAD wasn't trying to overthrow the state power, not even to remove the government by force.

Charges for airport takeover should correspond to crimes, not damages.

Thai Airways or AOT can sue PAD for damages separately, and I believe they can easily win Chamlong's left slipper as a satisfying reward.

While I agree with most of what you said, I think that what was caused by Thaksin and the leaders of the UDD (I know they said they had no control, but they have been recorded urging the reds to do exactly what the reds did) qualifies as treason much more clearly than the occupation of an office building. I agree that the PAD needs to be charged with offences as well, but the big crimes were committed by the big boys in red over the past couple of days.

The Government House just isn't *any* type of office building. I would like to think of the GH as the Thai equivalent of the White House in DC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sadly, today's developments don't resolve the deep divide in Thailand.

Yeah, it will take time for hatred against anything red to subside.

Presumably- after a period of settling down - we will find out what magnanimous closed door deal has been done 'in the spirit of national reconciliation'.

Sure thing, mate, now is the time for Thaksin to set forward his conditions and offer the govt a deal they can't refuse.

Worth a read for all those who have noticed certain faces missing in recent times and half year military reshuffle is due.

Cheers, Hammered, I was so caught up in action that I forgot to look forward. Though, honestly, it's going to be very boring from now on. I'll just enjoy the moment, for a moment.

It's a shame to see lots of posts with siding comments, flamings and personal attacks. But, once you have been in ThaiVisa for some times, you will know what/who to skip and it'll be really fast to read a topic with over 80 pages. :D

BRAVO for Supernova...THAT'S exactlly what all of us should to do. Open minds, try to get WHOLE pictures and read between the lines.

Congratulation and thanks colling talks of asided people here(including Thais of both sides here)

Yes, see the whole picture and use some critical thought to proceed to your conclusions. As I said above, this rabbit hole goes deeply on both sides, but the burden of fault and conspiracy falls upon Thaksin and his cronies more than the dems or even (dare I say it) the military.

^Plus, you might see this as a pummeling of the Reds. You've written them off dismissively so many times before, yet they are still very much here.

The rest of the world sees this as a bunch of grannies in wheelchairs and yobs that can materialise at will and cane the country.

So I think the people running the show have to deal. Thats how the political game is played.

If no deal is done, they'll be back...again...and again and again.

Edited by Journalist

Thanks. Actually I read through some 60 pages before commenting... I just had to say my piece since a lot of comments I read were very one-sided.

Treason charges against PAD were dropped because they had no sense whatsoever. PAD wasn't trying to overthrow the state power, not even to remove the government by force.

Charges for airport takeover should correspond to crimes, not damages.

Thai Airways or AOT can sue PAD for damages separately, and I believe they can easily win Chamlong's left slipper as a satisfying reward.

Sorry, airports no damage, so no crime.

Case closed.

The Government House just isn't *any* type of office building. I would like to think of the GH as the Thai equivalent of the White House in DC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure of details as I'm not American. :o Maybe it's closer to a parliament building?

But I understand what you're saying. The symbolic meaning of the building supersedes it as an object.

There was damage done, and the PAD needs to answer for that, but the damage done to property, people, and lives over the past couple of days is MUCH more severe.

The party is over.

Koo, don't forget to turn off the light as you leave.

I have revert to yellow now. Like Newin, I don't back the looser (who ever that might be).

I am neither red nor green, blue, yellow or whatever color is current at the moment.

At some point I felt sympathy for Koo because I trust Koo was deeply misinformed, used and misguide by someone!

MHO

Edited by webfact

Outstanding Op/Ed from K. Thanong:

HAPPY SONGKRAN DAY

12:45:

Finally, before noon Veera Musikapong, later Natthawut Saikua and other key leaders of the Red Shirts gave up. They realised that it would be a futile exercise to continue the fight because their boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, is finished. They were unplugged.

Yes, Thaksin is finished.

It will be difficult for him to travel about because most countries would not want to welcome him now after witnessing the riots and espionage activities in Bangkok instigated by his Red Shirt supporters. Thaksin was caught making white and blant lies on CNN and BBC, feeding false information to the global audience that his Red Shirt supporters were fighting for democracy when in fact they were burning Bangkok with espionage tactics.

Thaksin is finished because he has bet all of his political fortune on April 13, the dark day of Neptune. He played out his winner's take all trump card. He set fires throughout Bangkok on the day that Neptune overshadowed the Sun to manifying its bad omens on Bangkok. He had the big milatary and police bosses on his side, including some politicians in the government wing. He did not forget to move his family out of Thailand a few days before Operation Songkran Inferno. Khunying Orr is now shopping in Dubai, still having plenty of money to spend.

Thaksin thought he could hold Thailand as his hostage by his remote control as he bargained for his return, his amnesty and his Bt76 billion assets. He thought that a royal petition would come down in his favour because he had Thailand in his palm.

But his stragtegy backfired. Thaksin failed to get the critical mass support. On the contrary, the residents of Bangkok staged an uprising against his Red Shirt supporters, who were burning Bangkok while Thaksin was acting Nero-like with his karaoke machine.

This was the critical factor. If the people -- the real people and not the people Thaksin claims he represents -- rise against the Red Shirt movement, then Thaksin can only go under. Thaksin thought that the burning of Bangkok would reach a critical level so that the country would fail into lawlessness and the military would step in to intervene in his favour.

It did not work.

The whole world knows that it has been duped by Thaksin all along. Many Thais also are disillusioned by Thaksin's ability to destroy the nation only to exchange for his return to power.

Now all the Red Shirt leaders will be going to jail, facing treason charges. If you plant a gas-tank trucks and plan to set it ablaze, you are committing an act of terrorism or espionage against the state. It is not too difficult to trace all the way as to who ordered the trucks out onto the streets.

Abhisit Vejjajiva, the prime minister, has emerged as a strong leader now. His leadership has been transformed overnight, from a lameduck PM forced to cancel the Asean Summit in Pattaya into a leader who could defuse the political crisis in the most subtle way. There has been no losses of life at all from the authorities' crackdown against the Red Shirts. Only two persons have been pronounced dead by the shooting of the Red Shirts.

Abhisit has prevailed because he managed to bounce out of the corner as the military, the police, the security people and his own political partners had tried to frame him. We have no evidence to substantiate the doubts that these top people formed a link with Thaksin.

But you don't see the face of Gen Anupong Paochinda nor that of Pol Chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan during the Red Shirt's ambush of the Asean Summit. The security people were not doing their duty at all. They stood idle while the Red Shirts succeeded in ruining the Asean Summit. So far they have not come out to show any responsibility for failing to provide security to the Summit and the regional leaders as well as Thailand's guests.

Abhisit is known to have sought advice from a special unit, set up in haste under his command. As Thaksin played out his cards one by one, the advisors countered each effectively until Thaksin lost all of his bet.

At this hour, with the State of Emergency power rested in his hand, Abhisit -- not the army chief -- is the most powerful person in Thailand. He must use this occasion of his rising popularity in curbing the Red Shirts to deal with the failure of the Thai security apparatus, which has been undermining the national interest and including the government's stability.

We expect to see a reshuffle soon of the top security and peace keeping personnel.

If Abhisit resorts to his timid Oxford graduate role, he would miss out an opportunity to frame his leadership going forward. Now is the time to do it.

Al-Jazeera

The army quite clearly was following other orders, however, and as the prime minister appeared on TV calling for calm, mayhem erupted.

Water cannon approached the front lines, prompting the protesters to set alight the buses they had put in the troops' path. A gas canister appeared in front of the flaming bus as the protestors announced on a loud speaker that they had put a bomb nearby.

The tension was unbearable and suddenly snapped as a bus careered towards the front lines.

Volleys of shots rang out as the soldiers fired into the bus, and over the heads of the protestors.

Any claims that the military were using blanks were clearly untrue as the bus ground to a halt, its windows shattered.

The Red Shirts retreated, scattering down the road, as the soldiers gave chase, firing more rounds.

And then the troops stopped and regrouped, 50m down the road, redrawing their lines and bringing reinforcements from the rear.

This would have made for an orderly march forward, but the protesters started to push back, sending more buses hurtling down the street, the drivers diving from the vehicles when they got to full speed.

These huge uncontrollable missiles smashed everything in their path from trees to an electricity pylon, which snapped and sent sparks on to the battle raging below.

Another volley of shots rang out, as the army tried to push forward, and slowly as the afternoon wore on they made their way to the end of the road.

But as they advanced, they left a trail of burnt out vehicles, scorched tarmac from burning tyres and huge plumes of black smoke visible from all over the city.

It did not look like the restoration of order that the government had hoped for, more the final recourse for a government that had run out of options.

And the commitment of the Red Shirts, who said they would battle to the very end, was clear.

The government claims no one was killed in these clashes, which would be a miracle given the number of shots fired and the viciousness of the fighting.

But the scars that now cross the face of Bangkok will take years to heal.