Farang Red Shirts Involved In Protests

sassienie

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't logged on to ThaiVisa for a long while and this topic is the first one that I've read properly in about 4 years! :o

As a Thai, I have no problem with 'Farangs' taking interest in Thai politics, be it with the red/yellow/green/blue/pink etc etc...

Although, I must admit, it is rather annoying when I have the misfortune of coming across some 'Farangs' who act as if they know everything and 'if only' Thais will listen to them then everything will be solved ('Hoorah, praised be to farangs!'). Sometimes, things are more complicated than they seem and some people just don't want to look deeper into the situation, making it very difficult to have a sensible conversation. I do love a good discussion and to exchange my ideas with people from diffirent backgrounds, and more so when they are well-informed, as well as polite (being told my politic is just an 'undeveloped third world piece of sh*t' isn't very encouraging :D ). Doesn't matter if they are Thai or farang. If you're truly interested in Thai politics and are not just there to take the piss, then I would say it's your call to join whatever side you choose. Needless to say, am referring to protesting by peaceful means, not causing riots.

For those who care enough to educate themselves on the situations/history/manners etc, my only concern for anyone attending these protests is their safety - and this applies to both Thais and Farangs.

In my opinion, non-Thais (especially non-asian, who would really stand out) may face greater risk when things get hairy... I mean, you can't really blend in if you're at least a foot taller than anyone and look quite different ethnically... Also for those of you who don't speak the language fluently, how can you be sure what's going on and how are you going to protect yourself when you can't be sure? How do you know when to run, where to go, where not to go etc etc... in these situations, following orders may be a matter of life and death. It would be pretty rough if you get caught in a situation where illegal activities are involved and you have to carry the can for it just because you couldn't follow what was going on. :D

Also, it would be difficult to deny that if anything happen to a farang at a protest, even if the farang claim he/she is a Thai citizen, the repercussion will be much worse than if the same thing happens to a Thai. I know this sounds terrible, and it is not that I believe a Thai's life is in any way less worthy. But, let's face it guys, if a Brit/American/Australian/New Zealander/German etc etc were hurt (or worse yet, killed) in one of these protests, do you really think your embassy will not do anything? Sure, in the end, they may conclude that it's just an accident or whatever... but really, the first reaction to this is the Thais will be in deep sh*t. And even if your embassy won't get involved in the end, your injury/death will definitely be used as a political football for both side of the players. :D

Having said all this, I must also point out that many Thais would see foreigners taking part in protests as 'meddling in our business'. So, really, if you feel that strongly about the protest, go for it - but please do be careful, it's not just one big party. For those who just think this will make Thais accept you more, seriously, find other ways to do so... This one's not to be taken lightly. :D