Farang Red Shirts Involved In Protests

sassienie

This is similar to the hundreds of British students who took part in large 'Free Tibet' protests here in the UK last year. They don't really know what they're doing, they just do it because they think it's the right thing to do. Deporting them would be a huge overreaction. They just need someone to explain to them why what they are doing is wrong and they'll very quickly find a new bandwagon to clamber aboard.

Umm, no... What's happening in Tibet affects all of us, even if indirectly today, and is a shame for the whole planet. The fact that the IOC allowed Red China to host the Olympics while still in violation of human rights and minimize the chance for the world to influence change, was a black eye that continues to move on unabated in an Unsustainable Habitat sort of way. When you're miserable because the world is falling apart in 10 -20 years, as "leaders," aren't, and the greedy fight over what they can take versus what can be perpetuated Sustainably, you'll have a better idea what we are talking about. Anything you wouldn't want someone else to do to your own child, is a good rule of thumb to motivate conscious, mature contemporaries.

What's happening here, with farangs wearing red shirts has nothing to do, what so ever with those that were taking a stand for someone else's benefit. Red shirts and Toxin are toxic. Farang wearing red shirts can only be explained by greed and good ole' boy networks, greed or stupidity, plain and simple if a bit simplistic. What Red China is doing, has done, and will continue to do to Tibet because we've all allowed them enough leeway to continue, archaically, for money's sake and political face, and will continue to do to any of the surrounding territory that violence and force can take - is also toxic.

Wearing a shirt to take a stand is not the same as wearing a shirt to brandish a sign.

Edited by PhootThaiMaiDai

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is similar to the hundreds of British students who took part in large 'Free Tibet' protests here in the UK last year. They don't really know what they're doing, they just do it because they think it's the right thing to do. Deporting them would be a huge overreaction. They just need someone to explain to them why what they are doing is wrong and they'll very quickly find a new bandwagon to clamber aboard.

Umm, no... What's happening in Tibet affects all of us, even if indirectly today, and is a shame for the whole planet. The fact that the IOC allowed Red China to host the Olympics while still in violation of human rights and minimize the chance for the world to influence change, was a black eye that continues to move on unabated in an Unsustainable Habitat sort of way. When you're miserable because the world is falling apart in 10 -20 years, as "leaders," aren't, and the greedy fight over what they can take versus what can be perpetuated Sustainably, you'll have a better idea what we are talking about. Anything you wouldn't want someone else to do to your own child, is a good rule of thumb to motivate conscious, mature contemporaries.

What's happening here, with farangs wearing red shirts has nothing to do, what so ever with those that were taking a stand for someone else's benefit. Red shirts and Toxin are toxic. Farang wearing red shirts can only be explained by greed and good ole' boy networks, greed or stupidity, plain and simple if a bit simplistic. What Red China is doing, has done, and will continue to do to Tibet because we've all allowed them enough leeway to continue, archaically, for money's sake and political face, and will continue to do to any of the surrounding territory that violence and force can take - is also toxic.

Wearing a shirt to take a stand is not the same as wearing a shirt to brandish a sign.

Obviously the meaning of the protests are completely different, what I am referring to is the protesters lack of knowledge of the subject they are protesting about. I am sure if you would have asked any of those 'Free Tibet' protesters what it was they were actually protesting about, you may have got some kind of rehash of a bias news report they heard somewhere but certainly no factual evidence. I believe the same can be said about these farang protesters in Thailand, they think they are protesting a good cause but are likely to have very little actual knowledge of the situation.

The irony of British students protesting against Chinese occupation in Tibet is a subject perhaps best left to another day, but I did find it amusing how we had students - young people taking advantage of further education in the hope that it will improve their chances at a financially lucrative career - actually voting against giving young Tibetans the same opportunity, and instead pushing the idea that they should be left to live in rural poverty, with little natural resources to take financial advantage of, very basic health care, no structured government and only the most rudimentary education system, all of which effectively rules out the opportunity for a young Tibetan to live the life which these British students are working towards obtaining.

There is enough turmoil already and this crisis will not benefit from the interference of do gooder outsider influences.

I would like to see the photos of these Farangs, if they live in Thailand, circulated around all Immigration departments and these clowns deported.

How dare you!!!!

How do you know they are not Thai born, who are you to discriminate who can and who cannot demonstrate?

Just because they do not look Thai does not mean they are not!!!!!!!!! :o:D:D:D:D:wai::P :jerk: :burp::burp:

I'd have to assume that the farangs in the photo wearing red shirts are your typical attention-seekers. You know, the type that live in the North East and try ever-so-hard to fit in with the locals and extended family, not really supporting Thaksin or having a full understanding but just wanting a pat on the back and people like us to comment. I liken them to Brits watching an England/All Blacks rugby match but wearing the All Blacks kit for effect.

And neither were the USA or Uk 50 years ago. We're the same as blacks were in USA 40 years ago - attitudes must change.

Are you forbidden by law from marrying a Thai? Do you have to drink at separate water fountains and use separate restroom facilities? Are you refused service at restaurants sporting signs saying "No Whites"? Whats farangs experience here is not even close to what blacks experienced in the USA 40 or more years ago, not even close. Try and find a better analogy next time.

Perfectly written !! :o

This hasta go down as one of the most laughable posts on the T/V Forum.

I doubt seriously that ANY of the foreigners who donned a red shirts and/or armband have the slightest idea what the different factions represent. For that matter, I doubt ANY of them can even speak more than "two-word tourist thai", so they would have no idea what it was they were actually protesting for.

That foreigner's own homes, or land (in their (in)significant other's name), have businesses here or anything else is of little value to your basic "run-of-the-mill" thai, be it a red shirt or a yellow.

I fail to see where my Thai wife is '' insignificant'' or anybody elses for that matter, and the fact that there are many ferang who know exactly what the deal is, be it red, blue or yellow shirt.It is probably beyond your comprehension but do not tar everyone with the same brush!! :o

I knew several farangs that wore yellow shirts, and joined the PAD protest. Big deal.

That's just as pathetic, imho.

It can be caused by caring about their children's future. However, I must say that the 1 + 3 farangs pictured on this thread look more as though they're in it for fun, not from a dangerous sense of duty. (The prime danger I have in mind is deportation.)

I'd have to assume that the farangs in the photo wearing red shirts are your typical attention-seekers. You know, the type that live in the North East and try ever-so-hard to fit in with the locals and extended family, not really supporting Thaksin or having a full understanding but just wanting a pat on the back and people like us to comment. I liken them to Brits watching an England/All Blacks rugby match but wearing the All Blacks kit for effect.

Agreed.

Not all farang are tourists. Some are Thai citizens.

So you know them

I know white skinned Thai citizens, yes - my daughters for a start.

This thread is stupid. Imagine the UK conservative party saying no Asian looking people can join or Obama's party saying noone of Chinese origin can join.

The sooner "farang" are stopped looked upon as the stupid mindless tourist, the better.

I agree 100% with you, however western integration into Thai society will take many more generations and unfortunately you or your daughters will not be that generation... but it's a start

Looking at the photo in question - shirtless farangs in Pattaya- the assumption has to be they are tourists and have just been swept up in what they thought was some harmless fun with loads of passive protesters...

Bet they have a squeaky bum going through immigration on the way home!

Obviously the meaning of the protests are completely different, what I am referring to is the protesters lack of knowledge of the subject they are protesting about. I am sure if you would have asked any of those 'Free Tibet' protesters what it was they were actually protesting about, you may have got some kind of rehash of a bias news report they heard somewhere but certainly no factual evidence. I believe the same can be said about these farang protesters in Thailand, they think they are protesting a good cause but are likely to have very little actual knowledge of the situation.

The irony of British students protesting against Chinese occupation in Tibet is a subject perhaps best left to another day, but I did find it amusing how we had students - young people taking advantage of further education in the hope that it will improve their chances at a financially lucrative career - actually voting against giving young Tibetans the same opportunity, and instead pushing the idea that they should be left to live in rural poverty, with little natural resources to take financial advantage of, very basic health care, no structured government and only the most rudimentary education system, all of which effectively rules out the opportunity for a young Tibetan to live the life which these British students are working towards obtaining.

Good point but wasted on this forum. Just read some of the posts. Not a lot of thought processing going on.

There are a tiny few white male Thai citizens (I only met 6 in 18 years and became one myself).

It's commonplace for tourists and expats to join in these protests - some are so in love with the place that they think that they are 'Thai' and take it upon themselves to opine about the country where they are welcomed as a guest. We've all met them - the kind that wear Thai jewellery and Buddhist amulets, speak loudly their few mangled words of the language and believe that everything in Thailand is perfect. I was one myself once, save for the jewellery. Such people who attend protests are fools, because if things turn nasty, looking different in any way may cause you to be singled out, with disasterous results.

I made this mistake myself, when I went to the protests of 1992 the night that hel_l broke loose. I wasn't joining in, just curious to see. I parked my motorbike near the Sam Sen road entrance to Ratchadamnoen Avenue and walked into this sea of people. The atmosphere was carnival like, save for the stench of burning plastic and smoke from a nearby building (the Tax Office) that had been set alight. Things changed very suddenly when some shots were fired by some soldiers that I couldn't even see, which set off a panicked stampede of protesters who were running away from the soldiers and towards where I was standing. I ran for it and jumped on my bike to escape what had turned into a very ugly situation. Just as I was putting the bike into gear someone vaulted onto the back of it and hung on to me, so I rode a few hundred metres at great speed to safety and dropped her off. I then went home - my bike was low on fuel and there were no petrol stations open.

A really unforgettable experience, and I have never gone near a protest since.

My advice to any visitor is enjoy your stay and keep away from the politics.

Edited by dbrenn

Not all farang are tourists. Some are Thai citizens.

So you know them

I know white skinned Thai citizens, yes - my daughters for a start.

This thread is stupid. Imagine the UK conservative party saying no Asian looking people can join or Obama's party saying noone of Chinese origin can join.

The sooner "farang" are stopped looked upon as the stupid mindless tourist, the better.

Totally agree with you there. How long have we been coming to this country now? For two or three or more generations we've been settling here. Not saying I agree with the Farang protesters, but I can sort of understand it if they have family and half thai kid's etc. Thailands not gonna be Thai Thai forever.

If they are non thai citizens they should be arrested then kicked out of the country. :o

What bullshit is that what you say!!! :D clearly you dont know any better and are probebly not even worth this comment ,lots of us farang spending our life here and live here long time " i agree that they should not get involved" but people who live here got to have the same rights to outlet there frustration same as the thai people (peacefully i mean)

Me and i know lots of us are married with a thai and feel connected to the thai and there country, and do share the pain and frustration of the people

If they are non thai citizens they should be arrested then kicked out of the country. :o

What bullshit is that what you say!!! :D clearly you dont know any better and are probebly not even worth this comment ,lots of us farang spending our life here and live here long time " i agree that they should not get involved" but people who live here got to have the same rights to outlet there frustration same as the thai people (peacefully i mean)

Me and i know lots of us are married with a thai and feel connected to the thai and there country, and do share the pain and frustration of the people

Agreed. These are the kind of farang that think they are somehow superior. Strangely, they don't usually speak the language or work here, and live in a holiday resort town like Pattaya or Hua Hin.

Why does it ruffles their feathers so much? Why do they, themselves post lots on Thai affairs on the internet. They have their political views but are too cowardly to go on the streets. Anyone else who has the bravery or conviction that they wish they had protests, they get ridiculed as idiots, Laughable really.

Can I protest on the streets about something although I'm not Thai - of course I can and have done. Most recently with some students from my university.

Foriegn workers in my country have the right to protest against the government and it's the same here. I've had a work permit for 14 years and have a Thai(some half)family, I'm going to fight for what I believe is right, which isn't the bloody red-shirts or yellow shirts.

If they are non thai citizens they should be arrested then kicked out of the country. :D

You see you can talk sence :o

Why? For joining a peaceful protest? There's no proof any so-called "farang protestors" were involved in any violence, so what's your beef?

Honestly, it's just mindless how everyone loves to hate their own kind, and really farang aren't all that similar to each other. I also find it funny how people here are always talking about how "we farang" need to stick together when white people come from countless backgrounds and culture, and I really see no reason I should care about some Germans or French, etc. more than anyone else in Thailand.

Edited by Jimjim

This thread is stupid.

I couldn't agree more. TiT though... :o

seconded - it's a very stupid thread.

it sort of reminds me of some of the newly migrant groups in the west, and when they get established a hierarchy starts to develop. those who have been there longer may have better jobs and status within the 'host' community. along with that perceived sense of power, many people adopt the conservative values of the time, thinking that would make them more desirable citizens. same thing seems to be happening in this stupid post - farangs policing other farangs.

live and let live, i say - it's their choice.

Me too, I am anti Thaksin/redshirt but if some farangs want to support them then let them use their free-will to chose.

The nanny-state control freaks really are going into overdrive whever a thread like this gets started.

This might be Thailand but we're not forced to stay glued to the TV and cooped up at home you know :D