Should It Hit The Fan And I Want To Leave.........

glasshock

Just a thought but…… if current events escalated to a point where I felt the safety of myself and my family was at risk with the following in mind:

We currently reside in BKK.

I am a UK national – UK passport only.

My wife is a Thai national – Thai passport only.

Our Son was born in England, is Thai / British and has a UK passport and Thai passport.

Our Daughter was born in Thailand, is Thai / British and has no passport as yet.

Would we be able to leave? I feel I have some serious queuing to undertake at both embassies! :o

By the way, Ive seen all this before and understand that it will most likely come and go ..... but, certainly makes you get your house in order! :D

It ain't going to happen. The red side does not have enough support - that is willing to carry on long term - and the present government is starting to copy Thaksin in order to get support from the poor. Also, Thais really don't want to fight each other if it can be helped.

while it is nice to have an exit strategy in general, i sincerely doubt that you and your family are in any danger because of the current events in thailand, unless you personally have something to do with the political situation.

It ain't going to happen. The red side does not have enough support - that is willing to carry on long term - and the present government is starting to copy Thaksin in order to get support from the poor. Also, Thais really don't want to fight each other if it can be helped.

Good calm common-sense from UG. :o

But it never harms, to keep your options open, so perhaps get your daughter's UK-passport sorted, which then gives you the option to hop over the Malaysian border with your family for a 90-day visit, should the need arise.

I myself take the more-expensive option of keeping all my dependents' UK and Thai passports current. Just in case. :D

This is not meant in a mocking way as I share your concern but I think if you are afraid things are going to escalate further you should leave now before things really go buck wild, if they are going to. If things deteriorate I think they will do so very fast and the ability to go anywhere will be severely limited. Airports could be shut down again. This is the kind of thing you have to anticipate and preempt. If you are going to try to leave last minute you might as well hunker down and ride it out which is what I have decided to do. I am going to be increasing my food supply tomorrow both because of Song Kran and if it turns into a war zone so I can just stay at home.

Hey Guys........... thank you for some nice straight forward and sensible comments! Many of these threads go astray and are used as an excuse for bickering ...... cheers!!

By the way, I too feel confident that this latest outburst will soon be over and we can all wait quietly for the next episode. Wasabi....... you are quite correct.... one red shirt spotted at the airport (poor inocent Man U supporter) and all flights will be grounded..... best to keep the doors of the "durien shelter" oiled and free from clutter!

Edited by glasshock