Songkran To Be Extended Until Friday April 17

george

Why all the moans and groans about this - TIT things change instantly - So go with the flow and enjoy an extra couple of days holidays, beer, sun, cute girls in wet T-shirts, what more could you ask for.

Speak to your friends back home ask them what they'd prefer beer and sun or work !!

Right I'm off the protesters are going home, I'm gonna go get wet

Enjoy

Well I donot know what the weather is in BKK but in Phuket we had rain the last 3 weeks... Not all day but it gets longer and longer... Well, someone should check if we had a normal raining season or if its coming earlier ...

I heard already from a guy that it was also dry earlier and to be honest normally (ie the last 25 years) I saw the change of the winds as the clouds go in opposite direction. At present they seem to go different from what I remember...

could also be almost 26 years...(g)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To those whom think this is silly, stupid or in some way not appropriate

This gesture is to appease the people who were robbed of a very precious holiday.

This governamentis at least trying tyo do something constructive and people like you who slag them haven't got a scoobie.

The message is "We are on your side". What's wrong with that?

So come on you smarty pants give us your version of what should be done or are you dumber than the Thai people you are out to condemn.

Geez there are some idiots on here

ok George4, here's an idea.....how about 2 holidays next week, that at least lets businesses and individuals prepare for the upcoming lack of public services and therefore allowing to cancel/change plans, immigration visits/visa'a, business shipping/receiving etc.... I don't want to be a party pooper but some of us do need to be given a little bit of notice before losing basic government services!

Channel 3 just reported that Phuket Immigration office will be open. No mention of other Imm. offices though.

George, a question please. I am on paper supposed to visit Phuket immigration in the weekend to show my passport and get a stamp for the next 3 months.

I obviously could go on Monday as the Sunday is obviously closed...

But when are they officially now open?? Thursday? Friday??

And is that Phuket or ALSO Patong as I find that a better place then phuket town for the 3 months stamp...

Almost all the multipassport offices use Phuket, which you need for extension but as you only need to go Patong with whatever is required for the 3 monthly stamp....

Perhaps it is time that someone congratulated the Prime Minister and the Government with the support of the Police and Army for handling a very difficult situation with the minimum of injury and death. Let us hope that the Prime Minister now gets some support to put the country back on its feet.

Maybe they shouls have their asses kicked for letting it happen and further embarrass this joke of a country.

Why all the moans and groans about this - TIT things change instantly - So go with the flow and enjoy an extra couple of days holidays, beer, sun, cute girls in wet T-shirts, what more could you ask for.

Speak to your friends back home ask them what they'd prefer beer and sun or work !!

Enjoy

Enjoy

Yes, hopefully now everyone can use their waterguns instead of the other type!... Enjoy the last bits of your Songkran Bangkok!

Agreed on both, can't believe the complaints about this. :o

So let me get this right, any business and the banks that actually try to make money and benifit the ecconomey may be open (optional I'll be open) but all government departments get an extra two days which in fact means saterday the 11th to monday the 20th as a jolly

A nine day break how productive.

Maybe they do need a revolution after all.

wheres that leaflet about maylasia

Operation centre seeks extension of Songkran holiday

BANGKOK: -- State of Emergency Operation Centre will propose to the government to extend Songkran official holiday to be until Friday.

The proposal will facilitate authorities's crackdown on pro-Thaksin protesters which turned riots in the capital since Monday.

The official Songkran holiday of this year is from April 13 to 15 (Wednesday).

-- The Nation 2009-04-16

Hmmmmmmm..........

Who said: Give the crowd bread and games and they will be happy"?

Wasn't it Nero before he put Romes in flames?

Give me a break.......What are they trying to do by extending the already insane holiday longer?? more chaos on the streets, paralizing the already crippled economy even more>>

Hopefully that stupid proposal will only be confined to BKK and let the rest of the country get back to normal.....what ever that is anymore.

[go home moaning farangs, just go home]

How many more people will be killed in alcohol fueled idiotic accidents because they have extended this holiday?

er . . . Thais don't need an official holiday to get lashed up.

Who are you people :o and where do you get off slating the Thais on their internal affairs ?? If our homelands were so great, we'd still be there wouldn't we ? Rest assured, the Thai economy will be out of recession far sooner than the UK, the US and Europe.

No one has any business telling the Thais how to run their ship. All you whingers should just shut the f*** up or go home. Show some bloody respect

How many more people will be killed in alcohol fueled idiotic accidents because they have extended this holiday?

Who are you people :o and where do you get off slating the Thais on their internal affairs ?? If our homelands were so great, we'd still be there wouldn't we ? Rest assured, the Thai economy will be out of recession far sooner than the UK, the US and Europe.

No one has any business telling the Thais how to run their ship. All you whingers should just shut the f*** up or go home. Show some bloody respect

And where do you get off, your happy that your adopted home can make such world class asses out of them selves in the middle of a world wide depression

Me I am thinking they could not run a ship with auto pilot GPS and radar let alone with a competent captain.

so another 3 days holiday great. W@#Ker

Really great for companies that export and rely on the Post office. It’s already been closed since last Thursday, and now potentially closed until next Monday!

The post office was open on April 11th, as it usually is on Saturday mornings.

Well, that screws up my plans. I need urgently to go abroad on Monday to a country for which I need a visa. I was going to apply for the visa on Thursday. If Thursday and Friday are public holidays, the embassy will be closed as well - until Monday. This makes it impossible for me to travel on Monday and I will therefore miss an important meeting on Tuesday.

I don't expect the world to revolve around my plans. But the fact is that these sort of ad hoc holidays can have very serious negative effects on some people.

I find that if I leave things to the last minute I tend to <deleted> up as well.

And where do you get off, your happy that your adopted home can make such world class asses out of them selves in the middle of a world wide depression

Me I am thinking they could not run a ship with auto pilot GPS and radar let alone with a competent captain.

so another 3 days holiday great. W@#Ker

Oh don't be such a t**l . . . it's their country. If they want to extend Songkran, they're entitled to do so. Frankly, it's unlikely that they're making bigger asses of themselves than the government in my beloved England is - look at where our policies have got us. The whiff of superiority evident in many of these posts would be justified if we'd got it SO right.

As for the alcohol-fuelled accidents, what happens in Blighty when loads of people go binge-drinking every weekend ? Broken bottle in the face from my recollection. At least the fatalities here are, for the most part, accidents . . .

This gesture is to appease the people who were robbed of a very precious holiday.

This governamentis at least trying tyo do something constructive and people like you who slag them haven't got a scoobie.

So come on you smarty pants give us your version of what should be done or are you dumber than the Thai people you are out to condemn.

Give me a break, appease who the demonstrators that willingly took 500baht a day to cause riot and mayhem? So the Government is thinking, oh no the poor people missed out on a few days of holiday while on wrecking duty in Bangkok, we must assure that they at least have a few days of Song Kran so lets declare Thursday and Friday a public holiday too! Now it looks like the Government is rewarding the demonstrator, that’s just fxxxing wrong!

Only a few isolated areas of Bangkok were affected by this, my god who long does it take to clean up and restore order! They’re all just a bunch of totally useless <deleted>.

It is Songkran. It is Thai tradition. It is fun and a happy time for most. All of you who are complaining, why are you here? I was out yesterday and the day before, my first time experiencing Songkran, what I saw is different to what many are complaining about.

First, most streets where there are water fights are well known. They are not everywhere, if you don't want to get wet don't go there, there are ways around them.

Second, many of those throwing water are very gentle, many even asked if they could wet me. Those who didn't just sprinkled water, more like a blessing than an attack. Driving the motorbike if I showed a sign that I didn't want to get wet they let me pass, no problem. Those who wanted to cover me with powder or water stopped me first. I was utterly surprised at the gentleness. I had great fun and felt safe all the time.

Third, The pick-ups carrying the many people and water containers are out for the one purpose so are the people on the streets with their hose-pipes. They meet, throw their water and go to the next group. It all looks pretty well organised.

Last night I walked down the street to have dinner. I passed 4 groups of water throwers. 2 asked if they could wet me. I said, politely, no thanks. They smiled and danced around me and that was all.

To those of you who have been too scared to go out, it is not as bad as people are making out. put your wallet and cellphone in a plastic bag, just in case. But, my experience is only one of a very, very nice public party atmosphere where people are having one hel_l of a good time. Everyone can join in and I recommend you do :o

Give me a break, appease who the demonstrators that willingly took 500baht a day to cause riot and mayhem? So the Government is thinking, oh no the poor people missed out on a few days of holiday while on wrecking duty in Bangkok, we must assure that they at least have a few days of Song Kran so lets declare Thursday and Friday a public holiday too! Now it looks like the Government is rewarding the demonstrator, that's just fxxxing wrong!

Only a few isolated areas of Bangkok were affected by this, my god who long does it take to clean up and restore order! They're all just a bunch of totally useless <deleted>.

Couldn't agree with the previous poster more. Not content with trashing Bangkok, the red-shirts have now succeeded in inflicting 4 more days of suffering & misery, only this time on the whole of Thailand and with the Govt's backing, as I'm sure that this annual water-chucking nonsense ain't gonna stop bang on the dot of midnight Friday but will carry on until midnight Sunday.