Arrest Warrants Issued For 14 Red Shirt Leaders And Thaksin

bangkokrick

If the government did sanction killings and bodies were carted away then it is the end of the Dems. However, where is the proof? In today's age of technology, where EVERYTHING is caught on camera and video, I find it astounding that not one clip can be found to proove that this incident happened. So until they have proof, people should stop speculating on rumours. I am listening to the parliamentary debates right now and the Phua Thai are simply repeating these unfounded allegations. It's annoying. Non constructive and a waste of time when they should be looking at facts and focusing on reconciliation. As to the question of the PAD, three out of the four cases - 1 Suvarnabhumi, 2 Don Muang 3 Government House and the fourth I can't remember, three have now finished investigatoin and been handed to the court. These crimes will be persecuted. Or had better be anyway.

If find it even more astounding that they didn't make any clip in advance! It isn't that difficult to take an army truck, some people in Uniforms some red color and let them load bodies in the truck. Film it with a bad handy camera to ensure there everything is blur.

It can be done in Cambodia or anywhere else.

If you can't read any numbers on the truck and can't see buildings well it would be impossible to proof that it is not true (always difficult to proof that something did NOT happen).

Why they didn't make such a movie?

These guys aren't exactly the best and brightest leading this movement....

I think they thought it will happen anyway so they didn't had a plan B

They are wannabe Castros, Lenins Saddams and Maos but far away of being as smart.....

That is their main problem.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read Mr Le Fevre's blog on a number of occasions now, I believe that as a journalist he makes a good disc jockey.

For example, "the country" (Thailand) is not under a state of emergency - it is Bangkok and surrounding areas. And perhaps in the south due to entirely different events.

I am still waiting for his answer to my question as to how he estimated several hundred thousand red shirts in the streets of Bangkok a couple of weeks ago - and then virtually challenged TV readers to prove him wrong :o

Don't know the source anymore, but they even translated it somewhere as "martial law" what is in my humble english something different than state of emergency. (but could be wrong as I am not a native english speaker)

Court grants custody over 3 red-shirt leaders

By The Nation

The Criminal Court on Wednesday cited the state of emergency to justify the one-week extension of the police's custody over three red-shirt leaders to face charges related to the Songkran mayhem.

The three, Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua and Weng Tojirakan, surrendered themselves to police on April 14 following the dispersal of the red-shirt crowd at Government House.

"The extension of custody is deemed necessary under emergency rule as a precaution against recurring disturbances if the three were to be granted bail," the court said in its ruling.

The red-shirt crowd disbanded after riots erupted around the capital. Under emergency rule, police have the mandate to detain suspects for seven days instead of 48 hours before the mandatory bail hearing by the judiciary.

In applying for temporary release, the defence argued that the state of emergency was wrongfully enforced.

But the court struck down the defence argument on the ground that there was no judicial review disputing the government's mandate for emergency rule.

Throughout the bail hearing, the three suspects appeared cheerful and were seen talking amicably among themselves and with the defence lawyers.

The next bail hearing is scheduled for April 29. The three are being detained at the headquarters of Border Patrol Police in Pathum Thani.

In regard to the legality related to the state of emergency, the court has scheduled today to launch a separate hearing.

The defence contends that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva imposed the emergency rule on April 12 without seeking a prior approval from the Cabinet.

In the today's judicial hearing, Cabinet secretary general Surachai Phuprasert and relevant officials will testify about steps taken to declare the state of emergency.

Court grants custody over 3 red-shirt leaders

By The Nation

The Criminal Court on Wednesday cited the state of emergency to justify the one-week extension of the police's custody over three red-shirt leaders to face charges related to the Songkran mayhem.

The three, Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua and Weng Tojirakan, surrendered themselves to police on April 14 following the dispersal of the red-shirt crowd at Government House.

"The extension of custody is deemed necessary under emergency rule as a precaution against recurring disturbances if the three were to be granted bail," the court said in its ruling.

The red-shirt crowd disbanded after riots erupted around the capital. Under emergency rule, police have the mandate to detain suspects for seven days instead of 48 hours before the mandatory bail hearing by the judiciary.

In applying for temporary release, the defence argued that the state of emergency was wrongfully enforced.

But the court struck down the defence argument on the ground that there was no judicial review disputing the government's mandate for emergency rule.

Throughout the bail hearing, the three suspects appeared cheerful and were seen talking amicably among themselves and with the defence lawyers.

The next bail hearing is scheduled for April 29. The three are being detained at the headquarters of Border Patrol Police in Pathum Thani.

In regard to the legality related to the state of emergency, the court has scheduled today to launch a separate hearing.

The defence contends that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva imposed the emergency rule on April 12 without seeking a prior approval from the Cabinet.

In the today's judicial hearing, Cabinet secretary general Surachai Phuprasert and relevant officials will testify about steps taken to declare the state of emergency.

Let em rot.

The reports said that blanks would be fired directly at rioters, and live rounds, if used, over heads.

But no way are they sending out ALL soldiers ONLY shooting blanks.

Some will be armed in case the blanks are cought onto my rioters.

So I would guess the special bags are for the special blank rounds,

so there is NO POSSIBILITY of mixing up the two types...

But if I was shooting blanks as a scare tactic, I sure would NOT fire them in the air.

And if some soldier drew down on me I am NOT going to assume he is shooting blanks.

To most with common sense this would be a logical statement. But to rioting redshirts, this is just too good an opportunity to mention how many of their fellow redshirts were killed by the troops...... Never mind the FACT that there were no bodies...never mind that FACT that there was no blood and gore and ripped apart flesh in the streets....... never mind the FACT that not one picture from all the thousands of camera phones was to be had showing any of the above...never mind the FACT that there were numerous international TV networks filming and reporting all this live.... Never mind the FACTS....... when you are rioting and out to cause mayhem, who is going to let FACTS get in the way of good BS

i dont believe that there have been hundreds of people killed, but a few casualties seems posssible and also that they have been covered up. what happend in the night, as the crackdown began, isn't so well documentated at all.

lot's of images and reports from the daytime clashes but from the night time. i read only reports from people who said that they have been eye witnesses of such actions. but can not present any image, that is understandble. if you hear bullets flying around your head, wouldn't you rather run away and duck and cover, instead of moving with your mobile phone in the hand in the middle of the action. there is one very shacky mobile cam video of the night on youtube, taken from a balcony somewhere above the action. but the moment  you here the gunshots the people take cover as well and so moch to see isn't on the video anyway. not because nothing happend, but because it was night time, so there is lack of light and it was at night time. and it's only one video from one person.

the crackdown at night time, bloody or not, isn't documented by thousands of cameras. not by international TV cameras nor by thousands of mobile phone cameras. i saw only one video footage by a thai channel, that doesn't showed the shooting, by 3 or 4 people, lay down on a stretcher, injured i guess, getting loaded into a truck or songtweo.

i saw pictures and videos of soldiers firering straight on and not in the air, don't now what kind of bullets they had used. i saw also pictures of soldiers with hand guns and soldiers carry motobikes away.

i also saw pictures of soldiers with a red cross armlet, armed with a riffle and shooting. i always thought that the red cross or medic teams just take care ofthe wounded, but don't get involved in the fight and shoot action themself and in a agreement of fair play the enemy let them do that and also not shoot at them. 

for me there still a lot of doubt and i don't believe everything what the army or abhisit are told us. that is in my opinion common sense.

lot's of images and reports from the daytime clashes but from the night time. i read only reports from people who said that they have been eye witnesses of such actions. but can not present any image, that is understandble. if you hear bullets flying around your head, wouldn't you rather run away and duck and cover, instead of moving with your mobile phone in the hand in the middle of the action. there is one very shacky mobile cam video of the night on youtube, taken from a balcony somewhere above the action. but the moment you here the gunshots the people take cover as well and so moch to see isn't on the video anyway. not because nothing happend, but because it was night time, so there is lack of light and it was at night time. and it's only one video from one person.

the crackdown at night time, bloody or not, isn't documented by thousands of cameras. not by international TV cameras nor by thousands of mobile phone cameras. i saw only one video footage by a thai channel, that doesn't showed the shooting, by 3 or 4 people, lay down on a stretcher, injured i guess, getting loaded into a truck or songtweo.

This whole idea is based on a wrong premise - that if people see army shooting red protesters they'd somehow change their minds and sympathise with rioters. The more likely reaction is "som nam na".

By Monday morning lots of people actually wanted them shot - the takeover of Pattaya hotel, the riot at Interior ministry - that did it for reds already.

This whole idea is based on a wrong premise - that if people see army shooting red protesters they'd somehow change their minds and sympathise with rioters. The more likely reaction is "som nam na".

A revealing insight into your zero sum game thinking.Kill the red horde and dam_n the consequences (which would of course been catastrophic)

But you are completely wrong.Most people would far rather the army disperse the red protestors without bloodshed, and credit to Abhisit and the security forces for doing just that.Naturally there was a huge amount of frustration but I think most people just wanted an end to the situation.

A revealing insight into your zero sum game thinking.Kill the red horde and dam_n the consequences (which would of course been catastrophic)

But you are completely wrong.Most people would far rather the army disperse the red protestors without bloodshed, and credit to Abhisit and the security forces for doing just that.Naturally there was a huge amount of frustration but I think most people just wanted an end to the situation.

Only an idiot would think that a thoughtful poster like Plus was advocating violence.

With 65 million people, there are death in Bangkok everyday.

However over Songkhran, since the death registry is close, there was no death over Songkran in Bangkok.

Other than the running tally of road deaths eh?

Righty O, no one is keeping track of deaths for the holiday. How does one make up these things?

Of course they register ALL deaths, morgues can NEVER shut down.

Hospitals don't shut down.

Even if there was no publoic pronouncements about death numbers DURING Songkrqan,

the office is open NOW, afterwards, and can easily give a public number of deaths.

Seeing a picture of a soldier holding a rifle at people height doesn't mean he actually shot anyone.

I can hold a steak knife up and it can appear to be aimed at my wife and a picture taken.

Someone could say I am trying to stab the wife, when I am only handing her the steak knife she asked for.

I should NOT need to deny that anothe supposition was my intent.

A moment is captured from one single angle. It can tell the whole story or only part,

and thus be re-interpreted for different points of view., but the TRUTH has changed not a wit, for all the re-interpretations.

As above noted, that is the LOGICAL place to aim of you want to SCARE off rioters.

With rioting in the streets if there HAD been one or two dead from army mis-handling,

or just a nutter not stopping an attack after repeated warnings,

it would have been accepted as a logical side effect of putting down a LARGE SCALE STREET RIOT.

Having seen pics of Red Shirts on the march and attacking PAD, having them go berserker would not surprise.

Sad, but not unexpected.

What WAS unexpected was NO DEATHS, and that is why they scream cover-up.

Especially when the leaders NEEDED deaths for momentum building.

Heck, little kids too, fighting for Democracy, killed by the army.

That is the press pictures they WANTED, and were soundly denied.

That the side that started the carnage in the streets is the ones crying foul and cover-up,

speaks volumes of their hypocracy and duplicity.

It is so sad for the true, honest, up-country people yearning for a better shake in life,

that their fortunes are presently hitched to such a pathetically disingenuous stalking horse of Thaksin's.

Only an idiot would think that a thoughtful poster like Plus was advocating violence.

Quite so, Plus is not pro-violence. He was just making an observation about

the expectations and the get on with life attitude of most Thais.

It never said most Thais, nor himself, would be happy if some red shirts got shot.

He just indicated that they would likely just shake their heads and get on with their lot.

Plus's comment was directed QUITE CLEARLY at the Red Shirt Leadership's pathetically, cynical and amoral

views on the people: sacrafice a few pawns and build a bigger army of street warriors from sympathy votes.

Too bad the pawns are real people, but only little people, so we can lose a few of them and keep going..

Edited by animatic

It never said most Thais, nor himself, would be happy if some red shirts got shot.

Plus's comment was directed QUITE CLEARLY at the Red Shirt Leadership's pathetically, cynical and amoral

views on the people: sacrafice a few pawns and build a bigger army of street warriors from sympathy votes.

Too bad the pawns are real people, but only little people, so we can lose a few of them and keep going..

You haven't read his post properly.Furthermore by shouting in block capitals can't bring into existence what was never said or even implied.I accept that he didn't offer violence as his personal view though a reasonable presumption on this is a different matter.

Anyway the more important point is that in a very divided country hotheadedness needs to be guarded against, as it always does in Thailand.I remember there were many when the yellows sezed strategic parts of the city various idiots called for violent clearance which would have cost many lives.Fortunately cooler heads prevailed, as they have more recently.

You haven't read his post properly.Furthermore by shouting in block capitals can't bring into existence what was never said or even implied.I accept that he didn't offer violence as his personal view though a reasonable presumption on this is a different matter.

Anyway the more important point is that in a very divided country hotheadedness needs to be guarded against, as it always does in Thailand.I remember there were many when the yellows sezed strategic parts of the city various idiots called for violent clearance which would have cost many lives.Fortunately cooler heads prevailed, as they have more recently.

How to deal with statements like this then?

Runaway red-shirt leader Jakrapob Penkair has already warned that the red shirts would continue a clandestine campaign against the Abhisit government. Speaking to the BBC from his hideout after the break-up of the red-shirt protests on April 14, Jakrapob said the movement would use different tactics to confront the government, including possible armed attacks. "I believe the room for unarmed and non-violent means to resolve Thailand's problem is getting smaller every day," he was quoted as telling the BBC.

Speaking by phone from the undisclosed location, he told the BBC their struggle to bring down the current government would carry on, but that the movement would no longer rely on conventional forms of protest. "The state of emergency is a big help. It puts people underground," Jakrapob said.

In fact, deadly tactics aimed at instigating violence have already started, with the assassination attempt on People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul last Friday.

Source:

fighting for "genuine democracy"?

shouldn't that be done in Parliament?

In the long run, yes, but on the spur of the moment many people wanted someone to shoot the reds for what they did.

Lives are cheap here and if killings are percieved as justified no one would shed a tear.

Even if PTP finds some proof that the army really killed some protesters, the anger would be about denial, not the shooting itself.

Similar feelings towards Tak Bai - do you really think Thais give a dam_n about some dead troublemaking muslims? Do you really think they give a dam_n about those killed inside Krue Sue mosque? At Ratchaburi hospital? Do you think they care about thousands of lives lost during drug war? During 1976 crackdown? Communists killed in Isan jungels afterwards?

Once your innocence in the public eye is lost, you are a fair game, no mercy. Welcome to Thailand.

Speaking by phone from the undisclosed location, he told the BBC their struggle to bring down the current government would carry on, but that the movement would no longer rely on conventional forms of protest. "The state of emergency is a big help. It puts people underground," Jakrapob said.

In fact, deadly tactics aimed at instigating violence have already started, with the assassination attempt on People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul last Friday.

Source:

fighting for "genuine democracy"?

shouldn't that be done in Parliament?

Yes, to both questions.God knows what Jakrapob is playing at.Even if one supported his general aims (which I don't) his tactics and stategy seem absurd.There is something of Goebbels in that fellow.

Talking of Goebbels, the link you provided to the Nation editorial seemed to imply that Thaksinites were behind the attempted assasination as did that blowhard Kasit much more directly at the Asia Society in NY.There's absolutely no evidence to this effect so far and many many possible options.

In the long run, yes, but on the spur of the moment many people wanted someone to shoot the reds for what they did.

Lives are cheap here and if killings are percieved as justified no one would shed a tear.

Even if PTP finds some proof that the army really killed some protesters, the anger would be about denial, not the shooting itself.

Similar feelings towards Tak Bai - do you really think Thais give a dam_n about some dead troublemaking muslims? Do you really think they give a dam_n about those killed inside Krue Sue mosque? At Ratchaburi hospital? Do you think they care about thousands of lives lost during drug war? During 1976 crackdown? Communists killed in Isan jungels afterwards?

Once your innocence in the public eye is lost, you are a fair game, no mercy. Welcome to Thailand.

I hate to say it but you are probably right.

I think there was some remorse among middle class Thais (a much smaller group than today) about 1976 deaths, but not that much.On the rest you are right.

Incidentally the CPT had wide national coverage, not just Isarn -and they were very unpleasant.Didn't deserve any sympathy

Highlighted lines sound like a voiceover in one of those cliche'ed 1940s hard-boiled detective movies.

Not that i'm accusing Humphrey 'Plus' Bogart of glueing on film noir platitudes willy-nilly !

Edited by Journalist

I don't think there is any reall evidence to suggest that there were any mass killings of red shirts or their supporters.

Similarly I also don't see any evidence to support the notion that there would have been any widespread sympathy amongst Thais if this had indeed happened.

Given that a large number of Thais support the Red shirts that would count them out the equation.

As for the rest there will always be a portion of those who are happy when misfortune befalls another person and then I suppose you may have your hardcore yellow shirt supporters who are in the same boat.

Jaturporn distancing from Jakrapob's idea for armed struggle

Red-shirt co-leaders remain firm on the principle of peaceful struggle and are not supporting another co-leader Jakrapob Penkair's idea for effecting change through armed fighting.

"The idea of guerilla warfare came solely from Jakrapob alone and none of the red-shirt leaders agree with him," he said.

Jatuporn insisted that co-leaders, like himself, Veera Musigapong and Natthawut Saikua, were in complete agreement to bring about change via peaceful means.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-04-23

There have been rumours and reprots of a split between the 3 "leaders" and Jakrapob and a few other harder leaders for a while. It also seemed to come to a head over the Victory monument taxi blockage which wasnt really supported by the 3 leaders but was by Jakrapob (and Thaksin?). There were rumours that the Pattaya escapade was also not partculalrly popular with the three. It is not unusual in a protest movement that there are hardliners and softies who disagree on tactics.

More interstingly in the current climate of the push for a deal, those not advocating violence could become a focus. A deal is not possible without getting some reds on board and Jakrpob doesnt appear to be on the wing anyone is going to reach out to or who is going to talk.

Confusing but time will tell.

Many of the Phua Thai MPs declared in the debate yesterday that they were unequivocally red. It is interesting as these are the guys who asked for a total amnesty going FORWARD until May 5th (it was late March when they requested this I think). So it would seem that breaking the law and being voilent was preplanned by the request for that bizaare forward planning amnesty. Such cynicism.

Red-shirt Group Vows to Relaunch Radio Service, Rally in Udon Thani

Leaders of the anti-government red-shirt group in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces turned themselves in to police this morning, but vow to relaunch the group's radio service and another protest on Saturday.

Red-shirt leaders in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces, Kwanchai Praipanna and Yongyud Kongpatimakorn reported to police at the Khon Kaen Police Station this morning. They have been charged with leading red-shirt supporters of the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship to block Friendship Road and inciting public disorder.

According to Police Major-General Pattanee Siriwattanee , Commander of Khon Kaen Provincial Police, three red-shirt leaders, including former director of Sirikitti Heart Centre, Chertchai Tantisirin , have turned themselves in so far.

He said the police are awaiting court orders to issue more arrest warrants for eight other red-shirt leaders under traffic offence charges.

Meanwhile, Kwanchai said he is planning to reopen the radio station that was closed by police last week.

He also revealed that the red-shirt group in Udon Thani will stage an anti-government rally on Saturday, and expects at least 10,000 participants to join the rally.

- TOC / 2009-04-23

Jatuporn says UDD not involved with Jakrapob's idea for armed attack

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) core-leader Jatuporn Prompan states that the group upholds the principle of peaceful means and opposes the idea proposed by Jakrapob Penkair for attacking the Democrat-led government by using weaponry.

He said Jakrapob had sole responsibility of the idea of an armed struggle while other UDD members disagreed with him.

He insisted that UDD core-leaders comprising Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua, and himself reaffirmed to bring about change in the country through peaceful means.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-04-23

Red-shirt Group Vows to Relaunch Radio Service, Rally in Udon Thani

Leaders of the anti-government red-shirt group in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces turned themselves in to police this morning, but vow to relaunch the group's radio service and another protest on Saturday.

Red-shirt leaders in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces, Kwanchai Praipanna and Yongyud Kongpatimakorn reported to police at the Khon Kaen Police Station this morning. They have been charged with leading red-shirt supporters of the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship to block Friendship Road and inciting public disorder.

According to Police Major-General Pattanee Siriwattanee , Commander of Khon Kaen Provincial Police, three red-shirt leaders, including former director of Sirikitti Heart Centre, Chertchai Tantisirin , have turned themselves in so far.

He said the police are awaiting court orders to issue more arrest warrants for eight other red-shirt leaders under traffic offence charges.

Meanwhile, Kwanchai said he is planning to reopen the radio station that was closed by police last week.

He also revealed that the red-shirt group in Udon Thani will stage an anti-government rally on Saturday, and expects at least 10,000 participants to join the rally.

- TOC / 2009-04-23

they aren't expecting at least 100.000...? I forget, the radio station isn't working yet...

...blah blah blah...

After the Uprising

by Thitinan Pongsudhirak

Posted Apirl 19, 2008 (updated April 21).Far Eastern Economic Review

BANGKOK – For a fortnight before Thailand's rebellion was put down, the brutal axiom of Thai politics that the countryside elects governments but Bangkok gets to overthrow them was put to its litmus test. Tens of thousands of red-shirt protesters under the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) espousing upcountry messages and grievances against what they saw as systemic injustices and double standards had encircled Government House to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and members of the King's Privy Council who were deemed to have violated the constitution by masterminding the military coup in September 2006 and blatantly taking sides since.

thaibuscreditfinal.jpg

But just as their opponents underestimated their pent-up rage and strength in numbers, the UDD leaders overestimated their ability to wage a spontaneous people's revolt and bring down not just the Abhisit government but also the establishment that traditionally rests on the monarchy, military and bureaucracy, the holy trinity that has called the shots in Thailand for decades. After forcing the cancellation of the Asian summits, the red shirts ran amok on the Thai New Year on April 13th, rioting, blocking traffic, commandeering buses, and torching public facilities in Bangkok in an effort to provoke the government and the army into an overreaction that would mobilize more reds into the streets, reinforced by UDD columns in major provinces in the north and northeast regions

The consequent anarchy and mayhem doomed their months-long movement. Their moral high ground and the righteousness of their cause were quickly lost, replaced by public anger and backlash. As soldiers closed in on the desperate and cornered red shirts outside Government House, UDD leaders turned themselves into police custody on the following day. The physical toll included 123 injuries and two deaths, the latter involving local residents' clash with protesters.

This recent drama and brinkmanship was not unprecedented in Thailand's three-year crisis. A starkly opposed set of circumstances last year featured the pro-establishment yellow-shirt demonstrators under the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) who railed against two elected governments favored by the red shirts and aligned to Thaksin Shinawatra, a former premier turned fugitive now wanted by the Thai authorities. The army decidedly stayed on the sidelines while the PAD had its way with seizures of Government House and Bangkok's international airport last December. The army chief publicly suggested that the pro-UDD prime minister at the time should resign in view of street protesters.

Ultimately, the Constitution Court dissolved the ruling party and left a vacuum for Mr. Abhisit to fill. To the reds, Mr. Abhisit's coalition government may have constitutionally coalesced in parliament through the power brokerage of his Democrat Party's backers in the army, judiciary and PAD, but its democratic credentials are tainted and incomplete. Thailand's contested democracy in the eyes of the UDD and beyond means that Establishment prerogatives and preferences have carried the day for too long.

While the red shirts have lost the battle, it would be mistaken to write off their crusade against gross injustices in Thai societybetween the haves and have-nots, between the traditional elite and the governedas long as they remain unrecognized and unaddressed. Elite consensus held Thailand together in years past and enabled remarkable economic development, but it is coming loose at the seams. New social strata and the bottom rungs of society want a louder voice and a greater share of the pie, and are decreasingly willing to accept outcomes determined by traditional power brokers at the top.

Having overcome an ominous uprising, Mr. Abhisit and his backers still appear reluctant to respect and recognize the claims and grievances of the red shirts. The pro-establishment bias in Thai society runs deep. Most movers and shakers have an incentive to see the Abhisit government succeed and to see Thailand move forward in a direction consistent with establishment interests. They heard the reds' noises but they discounted them on various grounds from gullibility and stupidity to financial opportunism. They resort to the comfort and convenience of seeing Mr. Thaksin as the sole force behind the reds. Now that Mr. Thaksin has been further disgraced and discredited during the red shirts' downfall, they will be tempted to conclude that all's normal, that the brief sound and fury seen in Thailand was just a passing nuisance.

But the reds represented more than Mr. Thaksin. Their quest for the will of the majority to shine in a genuine democracy was real and relentless. Their efforts came to naught this time, but the anti-establishment sentiments behind them are likely to simmer and fester until they find an outlet somewhere else sometime down the road. The undercurrents against establishment forces are deep and wide in Thailand. The lack of recognition and accommodation will make them pent-up and potent.

Thailand's ongoing transformation should not lead it to replicate the experience of Nepal, as the institution of the monarchy is integral to Thai history and identity. Nor does it want to follow in the footsteps of the Philippines, whose periodic people's power movements brought neither political stability nor economic vibrancy. And it should not turn the clock all the way back to end up in comparison to Burma's military dictatorship. Indonesia's democratic transition after decades of autocratic rule offers hope. Somewhere out there lies Thailand's organic and optimal longer-term destination.

The onus for the way forward now rests on Mr. Abhisit and his supporters. He should reach out to the reds rather than to mop up their remnants. What is needed next is the willingness of establishment forces to make self-enlightened reforms, adjustments and concessions in coming to terms with the grievances and expectations of the early 21st century to reconcile Thailand's inheritance from the past and its future demands. Otherwise, popular movements for greater justice and a fairer shake may well reappear in other shapes, forms and colors.

Last Friday's assassination/murder attempt on Sondhi Limthongkul, organizer of the yellow shirts, is murky. Naturally, theories and conspiracies abound. The use of war weapons (M16, AK-47 and M79) suggests military, but which faction/side faction remains conjecture.

Suffice it to say that the assassination attempt has raised political temperatures. Tellingly, Mr. Sondhi's only son, Jintanart, indicated that it was a "third hand" bent on creating and exploiting a clash between reds and yellows to use as pretext for intervention and a power grab. Whoever is responsible, the shooting has raised temperatures and is an indication that the crisis and turmoil will persist and could intensify. But this is also the first time that yellows are not blaming reds but in fact (based on Mr. Sondhi's son's account) the yellows are putting the reds in the same boat as mutual victims of this murder attempt.

Thitinan Pongsudhirak is associate professor and director of Chulalongkorn University's Institute of Security and International Studies

Deputy PM Slams Fugitive Red-shirt Leader for Advocating Armed Movement

The deputy prime minister in charge of security affairs says a fugitive red-shirt leader's threat to undertake an armed struggle to overthrow the government could be interpreted as a threat to commit acts of terrorism.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who oversees national security affairs, said Jakrapob Penkae, a core leader of the red-shirt Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, could be considered a terrorist if he makes good on his pledge to undertake an armed struggle against the government.

Jakrapob made the threat during an interview with the BBC earlier this week. He is believed to have fled the country in the wake of the Songkran crackdown.

Suthep insisted the government will bring Jakrapob back to face trial in Thailand.

- TOC / 2009-04-23

Tourism may lose 100 Billion Baht

The red-shirt riot duing the Songkran festival would likely cause the tourism sector to lose about 50 billion to 100 billion baht of revenue this year, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre (KRC).

The think tank expected that this year's tourism may get worse last year due to the continuing political instability.

If the turbulence ends quickly, the country may lose about 50 billion baht of tourism revenue this year. But the loss could double, if the situation prolongs.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-23

Hi all

Yesterday in parliament,There he was Jatuporn MP, Wanted Red Shirt Leader,Terrorist,Why was the man given his freedom to spout his Thaksin doctrine to the country in spite of the warrants out for his arrest,He should be locked up for a very long time.

phupaman