which is it really?

L O L

What???????? :o

I'm sure that you know what you are talking about :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried to discuss with my wife the 2 dead in the riots which she was apalled at and the 220 deaths on the road which I was apalled at. Sadly as I have found with many discussions like this she was disinterested " up to them" her comment, I mentioned how about the folk walking on the pavement that get run down by them who didnt choose to drink and drive, " I got pain my tummy" came next and frustratingly this is how many of our "serious" chats often end up or with "u correct" which means she doesnt want to talk about this anymore.

Anyone else get these type of responses? I get disheartened at times by it.

All the time Why else do you think we are having "sensible" conversations on here?

Excellent summary! Maybe we can start a new thread on marital conversations.

I wouldn't marry an Essex Girl but I married a Thai one

Best "Quote of the day!" :D

2nd best: :D

If you want to get rid of your husband, buy him a motorcycle!

Dumbest: :o

Australia has a population of 14 million....etc

& The point is Aussie's are (still) really, REALLY crap drivers. :D

Enjoy ! :D

Update:

Songkran road accidents' death toll rises to 272 after five days

A total of 272 people were killed in road accidents from April 10 to Tuesday, the Road Accident Centre announced Wedeneday.

Chaliew Yusimarak, a member of the Road Accident Committee, said 3,375 other people were injured during the period.

On Tuesday alone, 638 accidents occurred, killing 52 people and injuring 717 others.

-- The Nation 2009-04-15

Aha i read there are 13500 deaths a year in Thailand on motorbikes alone which is 36 a day already so maybe only 100 or so are due to Songkran, still apalling though.

Yip - This would tally with the British Foreign & Commomwealth Office (FCO) figures that. on average, 38 folks are killed daily in LOS eah year - on or by motorbikes fuelled by alcoholic drivers, helmetless and brainless, etc.

regards from a wet but docile Songkran in ChiangMai.....

220 deaths and 2,658 injured in first four dangerous daysBANGKOK: --

Road casualties climbed to 220 deaths and 2,658 people injured as 2,658 accidents were recorded nationwide in the first four of the "seven most dangerous days" of the Songkran festival.

Anucha Mokhaves, directorgeneral of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said provincial authorities and police were instructed to warn motorcyclists and passengers to strictly follow traffic rules and regulations, as Songkran travellers were expected to start returning to Bangkok today.

I am here in Thailand for Songkron and see this death issue not so much as motorcyclist driving poorly. How about the people throwing water AT motorcyclist after the sun goes down. I can follow all the so called rules and regulations to the letter of the law. I cannot stop an idiot from throwing huge buckets of water onto me and my wife while traveling down the road at night.

Huge buckets of water are not even fun during the day; it's simply dangerous. These types of people are completly missing the point of Songkron. Even Thai people dislike these types with huge buckets of water. IT IS ALTOGETHER RIDICULOUS WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE THE WATER COMING AT YOU.

Let's have the police stop with the ridulous focus of warning motorcyclist to follow rules and regulations and start imposing some rules and regulations on those who are throwing the water; how about...,don

Edited by jmapodaca

Anucha Mokhaves, directorgeneral of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said provincial authorities and police were instructed to warn motorcyclists and passengers to strictly follow traffic rules and regulations, as Songkran travellers were expected to start returning to Bangkok today.

A Target?

And wouldnt it be nice if the BBC and other networks actually told THIS story to give the rioting some perspective.

That's the real irony of the whole debacle. Fantastic control over armed and trained killers who were pushed to the limit of self control. Let's face it, given a big machine gun full of bullets, a state of emergency/revolution, a crowd of monkeys throwing stones, petrol bombs and the odd shot at you, it must have been extremely difficult when all your mates are firing into the air, not to drop yours a little lower and fire into the crowd. Yet, carrying out a daily task which requires only a modicum of self discipline appears to be a Hurculean task for the majority of Thais. This really should be pointed out on news networks.

220 deaths and 2,658 injured in first four dangerous days

BANGKOK: -- Road casualties climbed to 220 deaths and 2,658 people injured as 2,658 accidents were recorded nationwide in the first four of the "seven most dangerous days" of the Songkran festival.

I am here in Thailand for Songkron and see this death issue not so much as motorcyclist driving poorly. How about the people throwing water AT motorcyclist after the sun goes down. I can follow all the so called rules and regulations to the letter of the law. I cannot stop an idiot from throwing huge buckets of water onto me and my wife while traveling down the road at night.

Huge buckets of water are not even fun during the day; it's simply dangerous. These types of people are completly missing the point of Songkron. Even Thai people dislike these types with huge buckets of water. IT IS ALTOGETHER RIDICULOUS WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE THE WATER COMING AT YOU.

Let's have the police stop with the ridulous focus of warning motorcyclist to follow rules and regulations and start imposing some rules and regulations on those who are throwing the water; how about...,don

Very true. Problem is thais are a fun loving goup of people who put the 'Sanuk factor' before anything else, whether it be education to provide them with a stable and fruitful life for them and their family or just literally life and death. You can't change them over this so best stay of the roads. I've been holed up in my house for five days now - rather that than risk the carnage.

"yea my brother is a cop in the US and he said Thai people are the craziest drivers he's ever seen. "

My experience last night would second that:

I live off Ladprao, last night the power went off. The condo across from me had a fire in the electrical power room. For safety they shut off all the power in the local block area for over 90 minutes. With nothing to do, I was watching out the window. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the driver of the firetruck try to turn a corner-took 10 pull-up and back up maneuvers-with someone outside to give directions, and over 30 minutes. Granted it was a little dark-they have lights on the truck-another truck was 50m away giving light. After about six attempts, I could detect frustration in the person giving directions, also shaking his head!! "Turn left,NO!!!! " "Quick, turn right" just as the guy is about to hit a power pole and take out the whole electrical structure... Instead of backing up a sufficient distance kept trying to get around the corner with very little room. I thought I heard him scrape the truck when he finally "cleared" the corner. The guy was either drunk or one of the worst drivers I have seen driving a public vehicle-if he was the best driver they have-you don't want him out on the street with one of those large trucks. It almost made up for the inconvenience of no power. If only I had remembered to plug in the video cam-would have made a nice u-tube video.

As long as we don't have socialized medicine I don't see the purpose with having helmet laws.

A law to force the protection of a brain that isn't smart enough to protect itself?

Call it culling out the bad genes.

Survival of the smartest...

Hmmm, yes you could say we are living in a Darwin awards theme park here; choose your method of exit please. :o

I just tried to discuss with my wife the 2 dead in the riots which she was apalled at and the 220 deaths on the road which I was apalled at. Sadly as I have found with many discussions like this she was disinterested " up to them" her comment, I mentioned how about the folk walking on the pavement that get run down by them who didnt choose to drink and drive, " I got pain my tummy" came next and frustratingly this is how many of our "serious" chats often end up or with "u correct" which means she doesnt want to talk about this anymore.

All the time Why else do you think we are having "sensible" conversations on here?

Best "Quote of the day!" :D

2nd best: :D

If you want to get rid of your husband, buy him a motorcycle!

Dumbest: :o

Australia has a population of 14 million....etc

& The point is Aussie's are (still) really, REALLY crap drivers. :D

Enjoy ! :D

101% for this post! :wai:

All the time :o Why else do you think we are having "sensible" conversations on here? :D :D :D

I wouldn't marry an Essex Girl but I married a Thai one :D

I think a lot of us married our lovely Thai girls for the very reason we don't have to have intelligent discussions..how many of us have divorced western women at least in part because of the never ending babbling/whining and "we never talk" scenario? I think its great when I talk about our finances or whatever and get those interesting replies: ...just smile and get on TV...enjoy !

some gems..

deeeah bug eat my orchid !

I go to market now

need to eat papaya salad

have rain dear... you think?

you eat already?

i shower now

mammaa sick

have small money dear?

you drink beer? (11am)

what you do?

why you throw away my curry (unrefrigerated 10 days old)

gas not work..(empty)

can you help me something?

deeeah cannot..have period...

i sleep now ..okay?

some gems..

deeeah bug eat my orchid !

I go to market now

need to eat papaya salad

have rain dear... you think?

you eat already?

i shower now

mammaa sick

have small money dear?

you drink beer? (11am)

what you do?

why you throw away my curry (unrefrigerated 10 days old)

gas not work..(empty)

can you help me something?

deeeah cannot..have period...

i sleep now ..okay?

At least your lady is up to three or more words per sentence. How about:

no want

you ok?

you men

you shaowow

me men

eat now?

no good

you eat?

actually, a major reason why I appreciate having a Thai g.f. is not having the requirement of deep conversations, (as required by farang women in a relationship) or, as California women would say, the need to process. Sometimes that 'processing' can amount to conversations that last for hours - from midnight to sunrise.

At least your lady is up to three or more words per sentence. How about:

no want

you ok?

you men

you shaowow

me men

eat now?

no good

you eat?

actually, a major reason why I appreciate having a Thai g.f. is not having the requirement of deep conversations, (as required by farang women in a relationship) or, as California women would say, the need to process. Sometimes that 'processing' can amount to conversations that last for hours - from midnight to sunrise.

Yup ..understand you completely..my ex is Canadian eh..probably should start a new thread on this ..probably p..g off our moderator??

Oh and my wife's kid drives her bike ..all unlicensed and underage..she (my wife) wont wear a @#$% her helmet either unless she gets a call from her sister teling of another police fund raiser....

As I read these expressions of disheartening discussions, or lack of discussions some have with their wives, I wonder what the conversations were like before they were married. :D

un-challenging, un-provocative for my part. If you want to keep things light and fluffy fine. Of course most women don't discuss politics, sport etc. Additionally here they prefer not to discuss cultural differences or non-thai points of view as a rule.

As with most thais there is a hierarchy to discussion and off-limits subjects. As long as you are a non-thai (in my experience) there are off limits subjects. Anything construed as criticism of God,**** & country is off limits of course. I put it down to a social/cultural inferiority complex. and beofre you ask my wife is "middle-class" and a "university graduate" :o

Not wanting to hang my dirty laundry out but its an interesting discussion. Perhaps a new thread outside the clippings MOD's. Thai Wives anonymous?

220 deaths and 2,658 injured in first four dangerous days

BANGKOK: -- Road casualties climbed to 220 deaths and 2,658 people injured as 2,658 accidents were recorded nationwide in the first four of the "seven most dangerous days" of the Songkran festival.

Very true. Problem is thais are a fun loving goup of people who put the 'Sanuk factor' before anything else, whether it be education to provide them with a stable and fruitful life for them and their family or just literally life and death. You can't change them over this so best stay of the roads. I've been holed up in my house for five days now - rather that than risk the carnage.

I believe the sanuk factor has much deeper significance. It is traditionally also a time of de-stressing and accepting normally unacceptable behaviour. In past times this would have been getting a"little" pissed in public, some joking about persons within family, village or superiors. Similar festivals occur in Europe. The mediaeval "Lord of Misrule" or fool made king for a day where normal social roles and positions are reversed as a catharsis. Thais normally deferential to the perceived status of a rich fahrang can squirt with impunity. (not a local mafia boss or figure of authority though!)

In times of social stress/repression/recession these activities are going to be more intense and raucous. One section of the population turning it to protest and revolution and the other part resolutely squirting each other and self-censoring any evidence of change and social unease in the hope of continuity and zero social responsibility. :o

Leaving it all to the man upstairs to sort out as usual.

For those who don't have experience of this I have been training thais to take over my job for some time! Unfortunately very few want the level of responsibility proscribed and are content to be protected underlings. The social contract implies the Phu Yai is responsible for tricky decision making and acquires respect. The Phu chai, is absolved of risk and responsibility by making no decisions. For this privilege he pays respect to the Phu Yai. You see it every day in every family and social situation. It is this quaint little custom that drives the engine of the nation and it's brand of capitalism. It is a system beloved of the upper and middle classes and nothing will change as long as it continues. Good for some.....

It is also why chinese thais dominate the economy and government. They enjoy risk.....

Edited by seri thai

Thai-people are not known for their intellectual temperament. Being married to a Thai may mean you will have to find a new source for intellectual stimulation.

I just tried to discuss with my wife the 2 dead in the riots which she was apalled at and the 220 deaths on the road which I was apalled at. Sadly as I have found with many discussions like this she was disinterested " up to them" her comment, I mentioned how about the folk walking on the pavement that get run down by them who didnt choose to drink and drive, "

Human nature to be very subjective. It becomes particularly evident with death tolls. 60 people can get buried in an avalanche in Peru, but if, on the same day, a cherished dog gets a splinter in its paw, ...guess which gets the most compassion.

Thais are particularly subjective. Their families are the center of everything. Notice when fellow SE Asians in East Timor were being decimated by race riots - Thailand did nothing, not even a diplomatic statement. Later, when things in Timor got worse, the Europeans, Aussies and Americans were at the vanguard of offering aid. Fellow SE Asians only acted later, some as peace keepers, after Aussie and western governments showed the way. Without the initiatives and prodding of the western countries, Thais would be content just keeping to themselves - even in the face of calamities in neighboring regions.