Transfer money to home country

Did anybody here tried to transfer a large sum of money (>800k) out of Thailand?

In particular Foreign Devices?

- What mode of transfer did you use?

- What was the loss/expense of the sum between send and receiving?

- Which bank in Thailand?

- How much time between sending and receiving?

TIA

13 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did you bring that money into Thailand, and have the documents to prove it, or did you earn that money in Thailand, which also includes profits on the sale of a property? 

Transferred to Thailand long time ago and have the proof of transfer documented "Funds transfert for VISA purposes".

12 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Just use Dee money although they may cap your transfer at 600k baht.

the fees are cheap

I read about these transfer companies, but they require ALL to exchange the funds to Thai baht before transfer.
I would rather avoid the 2 conversions (Foreign Currency to Thai baht and Thai baht to Foreign currency) as that means a lot of lost money on top of the transfer costs.

• Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I read about these transfer companies, but they require ALL to exchange the funds to Thai baht before transfer.
I would rather avoid the 2 conversions (Foreign Currency to Thai baht and Thai baht to Foreign currency) as that means a lot of lost money on top of the transfer costs.

Compared to the banks exchange rates, they usually give soo much higher, that you still make a profit using them after all the fees.

39 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I presume your money is in a foreign currency deposit account then?

Have you asked the bank (I would try ringing their fx centre) if it is possible?

If you want to withdraw in cash, depending on the currency, they probably charge between 1 and 2% anyhow.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, topt said:

I presume your money is in a foreign currency deposit account then?

Have you asked the bank (I would try ringing their fx centre) if it is possible?

If you want to withdraw in cash, depending on the currency, they probably charge between 1 and 2% anyhow.

YES, I am referring to a FCD account, aka "Foreign Currency Account", aka "Foreign Devices Account", aka whatever denominates an account in any Currency except Thai Baht.
Hope this is cleared up now.

For the references in this topic, I have 2 FDA:
1. Bangkok Bank, totalling about 14,000 USD
2. UOB, totalling about 15,000 EUR

My understanding is that transferring the funds back to where it came from is not a "Cash Withdrawal".
I don't take the funds out of my account in cash (in Thailand).

Edited by Confuscious
Add

7 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Some lecture to this thread:

I don't really understand why you asked the questions you did since you have just presented most of the answers yourself..........:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, topt said:

I don't really understand why you asked the questions you did since you have just presented most of the answers yourself..........:coffee1:

I have links/details of some bank flyers.
But I never tried it.
I ASKED if somebody has actually tried to move the funds to their home country and what their experience was.
But you don't understand that ...

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did you bring that money into Thailand, and have the documents to prove it, or did you earn that money in Thailand, which also includes profits on the sale of a property? 

I don't think you need such documentation any longer.  I helped my good friend set up transfers to USA from his Thai banks after he and his wife sold some property.  The banks were much more concerned about the reason for the transfer.  One time he told them he was sending money to pay for his family's visit to Thailand.  The bank wanted to see the receipts... 😳 but didn't ask the source of the funds.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

But you don't understand that ...

I understand that English is not your native tongue. Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that every bank may have a slightly different take on fees/processes etc but far be it for you to give sufficient information initially to possibly encourage someone with a FCD from the same bank to give their experience......

The search experience is not great on here but their have been similar threads in the not too distant past. If you haven't already you may want to search for them using a search engine or simply spend the time to go back through threads in this sub forum. 

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I don't think you need such documentation any longer.  I helped my good friend set up transfers to USA from his Thai banks after he and his wife sold some property.  The banks were much more concerned about the reason for the transfer.  One time he told them he was sending money to pay for his family's visit to Thailand.  The bank wanted to see the receipts... 😳 but didn't ask the source of the funds.

I accept the example you gave, however, go to a different bank, in a different city, and speak to different staff, and your experience may have been very different. 

• Agree 1