Thailand Revokes Thaksin's Passport

v2drinkers

Thaksin traveled to Liberia earlier this week to inquire about investing in diamonds, officials said, continuing his global wanderings in pursuit of business ventures. Liberia, known as a tax haven, is keen to lure foreign investors as it tries to move beyond its dark history of civil war that was funded and fueled by so-called "blood diamonds."

Up until last week, Thaksin was in Dubai but now appears to be in Africa.

Liberia's Information Minister Cletus Sieh told The Associated Press that Thaksin had been in Liberia earlier this week and met with the country's vice president and other officials.

"He's trying to invest in Africa and he came to Liberia to explore the possibility of investing in the gold and diamond sector," Sieh said, adding that Thaksin had arrived in Liberia Tuesday and left Wednesday.

Sieh said he believed that Thaksin went on to Ghana and Ivory Coast. His current location could not be immediately confirmed.

Thaksin's most recent hub was Dubai. He earlier used London as a base until Britain revoked his visa because of the Thai conviction.

It is unclear which passport Thaksin is using to travel. The government has revoked Thaksin's personal and diplomatic passports, but the former Thai prime minister now has a diplomatic Nicaraguan passport and is alleged to have others.

- Associated Press / 2009-04-24

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual citizenship is illegal for Thais, is it not? Having two passports is a proof of dual citizenship, legally.

In practice, however, I've never heard of anyone being punished for that, or revoked Thai citizenship, for any reason.

I doubt Ortega was expecting Thaksin to bring investment to his country, it was just an excuse for public consumption.

Thaksin appears to be looking for a new base, after being kicked out of Dubai. Nicaragua's time zone makes it difficult for subversive activities against Thailand, Africa is better, but he needs infrastructure.

Whatever, July's trial is coming soon, he won't have a chance of stopping it, but he has no other choice but keep trying, so we are forced to watch this drama til the end.

No, it is not. My g/f has dual citizenship (of which one is Thai) and we checked the legality very carefully with the Thai embassy in my country before she applied for citizenship there.

/ Priceless

a farang acquaintance got taken aside by Thai Imm authorities, couple years ago. The officers were very concerned that the farang had two passports, one US, one Irish. They threatened to put him in jail, but luckily for him, he knew a higher-up Thai official, which gave him a reprieve.

I don't know the details beyond that, but the Thai authorities were clearly seriously concerned. BTW, he had no criminal record or legal problems clouding his computer print-out.

As for Mr. T getting chummy with west African despots; if it's true, there are only two reasons:

A. make investments to try and increase his wealth as much as possible. As T has no scrupples about other things, it's doubtful he would have any hesitation about investing in 'blood diamonds.'

B. Get chummy with people in power. This may include getting added passports, but more importantly, it might help insulate him from the growing tentacles of Thai efforts to bring him back to Thailand to face justice. Any talk by T about 'helping the poor' is pure pap.

Hopefully, the African big shots he's cavorting with are at least somewhat aware of Thaksin's tarnished reputation, so they won't get duped - as others have. The latest being Ortega who, thinking T would unload his money bags in Nicaragua, now finds that Thaksin is like a tart - giving out promises here and there - wherever there's opportunity - while not letting little things like 'his word' get in the way of using others as stepping stones - as opportunities pop up, day by day. It rather gives new meaning to 'Pop Up Tart.'

There certainly ARE laws of nature that cannot be broken.

Human sense of justice is relative. Relatively strong states have relatively strong justice.

I don't see a reason to celebrate general lawlessness, the country can't function if people don't trust eachother because there's no sense of justice.

everything seems to be functioning to me.

How about your 3G phone?

How's that 300 km Bangkok mass transit system progressing?

How about dual track railways around the country?

Have you got enough CNG stations in your neighbourhood? E85?

Any luck with 8mbps internet connection to the world?

High definition TV broadcasts?

>>>

It's been nearly five years without any sign of progress in any of those areas, and problems are not technological - they are all highly political issues, with opposing sides pulling in different directions.

Another five years and we'll be going to Laos or Cambodia to fully enjoy next generation Apple iPhone or download hi def movies in their internet cafes, or just for a bit of a glimpse of a modern techonology.

a farang acquaintance got taken aside by Thai Imm authorities, couple years ago. The officers were very concerned that the farang had two passports, one US, one Irish. They threatened to put him in jail, but luckily for him, he knew a higher-up Thai official, which gave him a reprieve.

Yeah, having US and Irish Citizenship carries a minimum 20 year sentence in Thailand. Good thing your friend was well connected.

And yes, lets hope these African dictators/mass murderers realize that Thaskin is not just a businessman, but a morally bankrupt individual.

Human sense of justice is relative. Relatively strong states have relatively strong justice.

I don't see a reason to celebrate general lawlessness, the country can't function if people don't trust eachother because there's no sense of justice.

Yes.

Agree.

There's a difference between celebrating and looking at things realistically.

:o

Nicaragua Press Reveals Truth Behind Appointment of Thaksin as "Special Ambassador"

The Spanish language newspaper, El Diario, reported that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's appointment as Special Ambassador by Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega is not the first time the president has appointed someone with judicial problems to be Special Ambassador.

The El Diario said that in October 2008, Ortega appointed Albaro Robello Konsalez , who was accused of defrauding a bank in Spain, as Special Ambassador as well.

Hosay Payais , the Nicaraguan Director of the Committee on Justice and Law, recently criticised the appointments of Special Ambassadors by President Ortega, saying that Ortega usually appoints people as Special Ambassadors without considering diplomatic customs and relations between countries.

Payais also said, concerning the appointment of Thaksin and Albaro Robello Konsalez as Special Ambassadors, that they are not in line with the 1961 Vienna Treaty on diplomatic relations, which outlines the international law and is respected by the international community.

He also expressed concerns that Ortega often allows foreigners to hold Nicaraguan passports. This conflicts not only with international law but also Nicaraguan laws which state that the appointment of an Ambassador by the head of the state must be approved by the parliament first.

However, Nicaraguan's Foreign Minister Manuel Coronel Kautz gave an interview during the past weekend, saying that the president was right in appointing Thaksin as Special Ambassador, since Thaksin has experience in both politics and business.

- TOC / 2009-04-24

Imageaspx5rwrw2.jpg

Foreign Ministry and Police Asked to Locate Thaksin's Whereabouts

The Office of the Attorney-General has asked police and the Foreign Ministry to determine the exact whereabouts of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in order to facilitate his extradition.

Director of the Office of the Attorney-General or OAG 's International Affairs, Sirisak Tiyapan , stated that his agency is still unsure about the exact whereabouts of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Sirisak stated that police and the Foreign Ministry must forward Thaksin’s address to the OAG so that further action can take place.

He also accepted that although the Foreign Ministry has already revoked Thaksin's Thai passport, he is still able to travel to different countries with his foreign passport. Sirisak stated that his office will hold a meeting with its working panel to seek a decision over further action.

Meanwhile, the website of the Liberian Observer news agency has posted a picture of Thaksin shaking hands with Liberian President Richard Tolbert.

The website says that the fugitive prime minister plans to invest in Liberia’s mining industry.

- TOC / 2009-04-24

Note regarding Post # 551

A check of the Liberian Observer revealed that man actually is Richard Tolbert, but he is identified as Chairman of the National Investment Commission (NIC) in their article.

It was a William Tolbert who was President of Liberia in the 1970's, but he was executed in 1980.

Tolbert_Nixon_1973.gif

William Tolbert and United States President Richard Nixon in 1973.

The current President of Liberia is actually Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the first black woman in history to be elected head of state.

Edit:

An additional interesting wiki tidbit found to bring things full circle.

On April 12, 1980, Tolbert was overthrown by military mutineers in a coup d'état and was executed. Before the end of the month Tolbert's entire Cabinet had been put on trial in a kangaroo court and sentenced to death—with no right to be defended by a lawyer and no right to appeal to the verdict. In a horrific scene they were all but one publicly executed on a beach near Monrovia. The only cabinet member who escaped from being shot was the only minister of tribal origin, president to-be Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand's Thaksin seeks business in Liberia

MONROVIA - Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, living in self-imposed exile and facing two years jail at home on conflict of interest charges, was in Liberia this week scouting for business opportunities in Africa.

Thaksin, also briefly owner of Manchester City football club, has seen his living options reduced after Britain revoked his visa and the Thai government recently sought extradition agreements with Dubai and Hong Kong, where he has been living.

Although rich in iron ore, timber, diamonds and gold, Liberia, which was founded by freed slaves from the United States in the 19th century, is not an obvious choice as it still battles to overcome the effects of years of war that only ended in 2003.

"I have come to visit Liberia to explore business opportunities in the areas of mining, agriculture, and gas exploration," Thaksin told journalists after meeting the West African country's vice president earlier this week.

"I prefer to do business in Liberia because of the good business climate and the move by the country in reconstruction process," he said late on Tuesday evening.

Liberia was embroiled in almost constant conflict from 1990-2003, with some 250,000 people killed in its civil war and an intertwined conflict in neighbouring Sierra Leone, which has resulted in Liberia's former President Charles Taylor facing charges of war crimes.

Investor confidence in the country was boosted by the 2005 election of President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, a former World Bank official who became Africa's first female head of state.

Embargos imposed during the war on timber and diamond exports have since been lifted, encouraging private investment. But the country is still highly dependent on aid and is struggling to tackle corruption.

"In the not too distant future, we will send a team to carry out feasibility studies on what would be a priority for us. We can begin with even a million dollars, depending on what we discover," Thaksin said.

The former prime minister's supporters back home have been embroiled in weeks of violent protests with the authorities in Bangkok although the current prime minister ended a 12-day state of emergency on Friday and sought to heal deep political rifts.

Thaksin spent two days in Liberia before leaving but the government made clear he would be welcome back.

"We want you to come and do business that will help create jobs for Liberians. We have a good business climate in Liberia," Vice President Joseph Boakai said.

- Reuters / 2009-04-24

Another five years and we'll be going to Laos or Cambodia to fully enjoy next generation Apple iPhone or download hi def movies in their internet cafes, or just for a bit of a glimpse of a modern techonology.

I hired a guy to search throughout Thailand for a good quality submersible DC water pump. Couldn't find one. We wound up getting one thru a company in Laos. Re; rototiller: searched every place in northern Thailand for 10 years - couldn't find one. Now, one store has rototillers, but they're a bad design and over priced. 8 years ago Thailand had a chance to go in with neighboring countries to facilitate faster internet connections. Thailand balked (said, "too expensive") and thereby fell behind the 8 ball. There are many basic and useful items that can't be found here - a reflection of the Thai attitude: 'one size fits all.' Generally a 'mai pen rai' disposition, that "if it's not already here in the marketplace, then we guess nobody needs it."

(back on topic) : what do Red Shirt sympathizers think about T prancing around the world, promising bundles of cash to top tamales at banana republics?

Edit:

An additional interesting wiki tidbit found to bring things full circle.

On April 12, 1980, Tolbert was overthrown by military mutineers in a coup d'état and was executed. Before the end of the month Tolbert's entire Cabinet had been put on trial in a kangaroo court and sentenced to death—with no right to be defended by a lawyer and no right to appeal to the verdict. In a horrific scene they were all but one publicly executed on a beach near Monrovia. The only cabinet member who escaped from being shot was the only minister of tribal origin, president to-be Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.

History repeat itself?

If this were to happen to Thaksin and his entire Cabinet, I am sure Newin is the only one that could get away.

Newin "monkey-like" face qualifies him as a minister of tribal origin.

Edited by samgrowth

With a per capita income of an astoundingly low US$195 for 2007, it's no wonder Liberia would be interested in anyone with practically any amount of money. Convicted fugitive on the run? No problem.

If he gets his $2 billion back... he'd have double that entire county's GDP.

almost triple :opost-6036-1240657058_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia

everything seems to be functioning to me.

You can do this now:

In Laos: http://www.cellular-news.com/story/34207.php - only in Vientiane for a start

In Cambodia: http://www.bangkokpost.com/180608_Database...008_data001.php - nationwide as I understand this

In Myanmar: http://www.cellular-news.com/story/32276.php - if you have one of the 50 handsets issued...but still better than in...

...Thailand: http://www.bangkokpost.com/20th_database/0...2007_data02.php - NADA!

Imageaspx5rwrw2.jpg

Foreign Ministry and Police Asked to Locate Thaksin's Whereabouts

The Office of the Attorney-General has asked police and the Foreign Ministry to determine the exact whereabouts of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in order to facilitate his extradition.

Director of the Office of the Attorney-General or OAG 's International Affairs, Sirisak Tiyapan , stated that his agency is still unsure about the exact whereabouts of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Sirisak stated that police and the Foreign Ministry must forward Thaksin’s address to the OAG so that further action can take place.

He also accepted that although the Foreign Ministry has already revoked Thaksin's Thai passport, he is still able to travel to different countries with his foreign passport. Sirisak stated that his office will hold a meeting with its working panel to seek a decision over further action.

Meanwhile, the website of the Liberian Observer news agency has posted a picture of Thaksin shaking hands with Liberian President Richard Tolbert.

The website says that the fugitive prime minister plans to invest in Liberia’s mining industry.

- TOC / 2009-04-24

Aside from his own personal wealth that it appears he isn't likely to get back, if he is running around the world pretending to be an envoy of a sort bringing investment behind him, who is he representing?

Is he representing the Arabs, which would be the strangest combination known yet. They can do their own negotiations. Is he representing Thai companies? In which case, the really big companies interested in Africa are either government entities or part of the current government. Is he representing South East Asian Chinese family based companies.

I can't see that he can represent any government in any of his dealings.

Not so, surely he is newly-accredited for this sort of thing, by the government of Nicaragua ? :D

And what exactly does Nicaragua want to do in Africa?

I believe the main role is as a route to transport drugs, on the way to Europe, but there might be other possibilities ? :o

Not so, surely he is newly-accredited for this sort of thing, by the government of Nicaragua ? :D

I believe the main role is as a route to transport drugs, on the way to Europe, but there might be other possibilities ? :o

Well possible, but in his rather high profile situation vis a vis the Brits revoking his visa, if he was to be attached to that type of business, I don't think there would be pictures of him swanning around anywhere.

I believe, he is trying to open up Africa on behalf of the South East Asian business conglomerates who are following on the coat tails of the Chinese government who have sucked up a lot of the mineral wealth there already. The SE Asian Chinese conglomerates first point of business is agriculture. There was a great article in the Post a few weeks ago about how Thai Rice producers are looking at Kenya for example. How he can pull it off I don't know, but as business in Asia works, they will work with anyone who can get it done.

I doubt he can do it. He is so discredited, but with enough back handers, he might be able to do it.

T is out for self-enrichment, plain and simple. It's no surprise that he couches his negotiations with phrases like 'creating new employment,' and 'increasing opportunities for Thai businesses,' ....but that's just window dressing, and carries about as much credence as any other of T's utterances (zero). T is the ultimate schemer and thrives on manipulating others. Yesterday he duped the Issanites. Today, he's duping some of the top tamales at a few impoverished countries. Where to next? Who's next to be duped?

Imageaspx5rwrw2.jpg

Aside from his own personal wealth that it appears he isn't likely to get back, if he is running around the world pretending to be an envoy of a sort bringing investment behind him, who is he representing?

Is he representing the Arabs, which would be the strangest combination known yet. They can do their own negotiations. Is he representing Thai companies? In which case, the really big companies interested in Africa are either government entities or part of the current government. Is he representing South East Asian Chinese family based companies.

He's representing himself.

This is someone who doesn't work for or even with someone else. He's just playing for the press. Although he certainly has untold amounts of money in various outside Thailand locations, that's not even his real intent, which is why he's constantly changing his directions for his money and efforts superficiall. What became of his Great Asian Brain-trust Foundation with Sam Moon in which he was going to oversee the development of Asia's most promising new entrepreneurs? Nothing, that's what became of it. Cambodian casinos? Cambodian oil wells? And now he's into bringing foreign investments to Nicaragua? Followed by cornering the Liberian diamond market the following week? Give me a break... :o

His intent with all of this nonsense is to garner the attention he has achieved as someone who prances around with heads of state. That they represent some of the lowest level heads of state is inconsequential to someone needing their ego stroked.

This all interspersed with his video links calling for civil war in his homeland.

A megalomaniac out of control.....

Imageaspx5rwrw2.jpg

He's representing himself.

This is someone who doesn't work for or even with someone else. He's just playing for the press. Although he certainly has untold amounts of money in various outside Thailand locations, that's not even his real intent, which is why he's constantly changing his directions for his money and efforts superficiall. What became of his Great Asian Brain-trust Foundation with Sam Moon in which he was going to oversee the development of Asia's most promising new entrepreneurs? Nothing, that's what became of it. Cambodian casinos? Cambodian oil wells? And now he's into bringing foreign investments to Nicaragua? Followed by cornering the Liberian diamond market the following week? Give me a break... :o

His intent with all of this nonsense is to garner the attention he has achieved as someone who prances around with heads of state. That they represent some of the lowest level heads of state is inconsequential to someone needing their ego stroked.

This all interspersed with his video links calling for civil war in his homeland.

A megalomaniac out of control.....

I am sure he has money out there, but not enough to move governments in Africa. They wrote the book (or at least got a first edition of it from here) on corruption. 100's of millions is what it takes. He has 2bn frozen which I would presume to be the vast majority of his wealth. These guys don't even get out of bed for less than 50mn$. I might be wrong, but watch the news as the Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians (alongside the mainland Chinese government business) start to move into Africa in the next couple of years for agriculture.

, but watch the news as the Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians (alongside the mainland Chinese government business) start to move into Africa in the next couple of years for agriculture.

That very well may occur...but it will have nothing to do with Thaksin. They'll all be doing that on their own.

, but watch the news as the Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians (alongside the mainland Chinese government business) start to move into Africa in the next couple of years for agriculture.

That very well may occur...but it will have nothing to do with Thaksin. They'll all be doing that on their own.

Maybe maybe not, but I bet he is making promises right now that he probably can't keep

Maybe maybe not, but I bet he is making promises right now that he probably can't keep

That's what he's excelled at since 2001.

That's what he's excelled at since 2001.

Yes but these are based purely on his own word. I find it funny that people respected his business acumen. Anyone could have made gazillions with a government granted monopoly on operating mobile phones. Now he is out in the big wide world. He knew how to work the Thai system, but Africa is a ball game all on it's own. He might just disappear off the map over there and no one would know where to find him. I am waiting for him to be shown shaking Mugabe's hand, for a hundred USD he can buy half the country.

T is out for self-enrichment, plain and simple. It's no surprise that he couches his negotiations with phrases like 'creating new employment,' and 'increasing opportunities for Thai businesses,' ....but that's just window dressing, and carries about as much credence as any other of T's utterances (zero). T is the ultimate schemer and thrives on manipulating others. Yesterday he duped the Issanites. Today, he's duping some of the top tamales at a few impoverished countries. Where to next? Who's next to be duped?

You're forgetting that he also duped the Man City fan numpties who scoffed Frank's fried rice and Mai feast of deceit like there was no tomorrow or day of reckoning with the blood-tinged colour of their Chairman's largesse. :D