Thailand Revokes Thaksin's Passport

v2drinkers

Squareface saw an opening for "Dictator" since Charles Taylor was ousted.... Can't blame a guy for trying right? Blood Diamond for everyone!

He's not got the qualifications to be a dictator. He's not a military general for starters.*

Nicaragua...Liberia...Ivory Coast... Thaksin is racking up an impressive list of highly-desirable travel destinations lately.

No more or less desirable than Thailand for a successful businessman.

*See Thailand's recent history.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicaragua...Liberia...Ivory Coast... Thaksin is racking up an impressive list of highly-desirable travel destinations lately.

A good friend of mine's father is a 'Minister for something or other', in Ivory Coast.

My friend says it is a lovely place when the external elements are not trying to stir up trouble.

He is living in France and doing exports to I.C., and music, which is better for him than home.

He also has a french wife and kids.

Liberia on the other hand..... YIKES.

Thaksin sure knows how to pick'em...

Squareface saw an opening for "Dictator" since Charles Taylor was ousted.... Can't blame a guy for trying right? Blood Diamond for everyone!

He's not got the qualifications to be a dictator. He's not a military general for starters.*

*See Thailand's recent history.

TG will be openning new route this Summer. You guess it. Daily non-stop flight to Nicaragua...Liberia...Ivory Coast...

With a per capita income of an astoundingly low US$195 for 2007, it's no wonder Liberia would be interested in anyone with practically any amount of money. Convicted fugitive on the run? No problem.

If he gets his $2 billion back... he'd have double that entire county's GDP.

Edited by sriracha john

UAE To Cooperate In Extraditing Thai Ex-P.M.

(RTTNews / 2009-04-23) - The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is reportedly ready to extradite Thaksin Shinawatra, the former fugitive Thai Prime Minister, who was ousted in a 2006 military coup after being accused of corruption and abuse of power, reports say.

Stating that the UAE government had received the arrest warrant for Thaksin from the International Criminal Police Organization (ICPO), an official in the Thai Foreign Ministry said the Arab nation insisted it would no longer let Thaksin enter the country if he continued to engage himself in political activities there.

Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot, the special envoy appointed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, visited Abu Dhabi between Sunday and Tuesday to forward the arrest warrant for Thaksin to the sultanate, and negotiate with the UAE authorities for his extradition.

However, UAE officials said that Thaksin entered the country as a businessman March 27, but had departed to a undisclosed destination Monday.

The exiled prime minister was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for abuse of power by a Thai Criminal Court last year, and he also faces another arrest warrant for instigating unrest in Bangkok last week.

UAE To Cooperate In Extraditing Thai Ex-P.M.

(RTTNews / 2009-04-23) - The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is reportedly ready to extradite Thaksin Shinawatra, the former fugitive Thai Prime Minister, who was ousted in a 2006 military coup after being accused of corruption and abuse of power, reports say.

Stating that the UAE government had received the arrest warrant for Thaksin from the International Criminal Police Organization (ICPO), an official in the Thai Foreign Ministry said the Arab nation insisted it would no longer let Thaksin enter the country if he continued to engage himself in political activities there.

Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot, the special envoy appointed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, visited Abu Dhabi between Sunday and Tuesday to forward the arrest warrant for Thaksin to the sultanate, and negotiate with the UAE authorities for his extradition.

However, UAE officials said that Thaksin entered the country as a businessman March 27, but had departed to a undisclosed destination Monday.

The exiled prime minister was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for abuse of power by a Thai Criminal Court last year, and he also faces another arrest warrant for instigating unrest in Bangkok last week.

Runaway former Thai PM Thaksin in Liberia

Fugitive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is in Liberia, Africa to explore Thai investment and cooperation, Star Radio of Liberia reported on Tuesday.

Thaksin has held talks with Liberia's Vice President Joseph Boakai aimed at exploring avenues for a huge investment in Liberia.

The radio quoted Thaksin as telling Boakai that it is his strong intention for Thailand to have good relations with African Countries.

According to him, Thailand would like to share its success and failure in the areas of agriculture and poverty eradication.

He said his group is interested in oil and mineral exploration and extraction, agriculture, telecommunication license and Lottery.

The Thai billionaire arrived in Liberia early Tuesday and would continue his journey to Ivory Coast and other African Countries on Wednesday.

Making remarks, Boakai welcomed Thaksin and delegation and urged the Thais to investment in Liberia as the country has all of the minerals.

- THE NATION - 2009/04/23

So, the roving Nicaraguan ambassador, responsible for drumming up investment opportunities for Nicaragua is slinking around West Africa trying to drum up investment opportunities for Thailand. Didn't take him long to expose his lying, deceitful ways to the Nicaraguans.

Runaway former Thai PM Thaksin in Liberia

Fugitive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is in Liberia, Africa to explore Thai investment and cooperation, Star Radio of Liberia reported on Tuesday.

Thaksin has held talks with Liberia's Vice President Joseph Boakai aimed at exploring avenues for a huge investment in Liberia.

The radio quoted Thaksin as telling Boakai that it is his strong intention for Thailand to have good relations with African Countries.

According to him, Thailand would like to share its success and failure in the areas of agriculture and poverty eradication.

He said his group is interested in oil and mineral exploration and extraction, agriculture, telecommunication license and Lottery.

The Thai billionaire arrived in Liberia early Tuesday and would continue his journey to Ivory Coast and other African Countries on Wednesday.

Making remarks, Boakai welcomed Thaksin and delegation and urged the Thais to investment in Liberia as the country has all of the minerals.

- THE NATION - 2009/04/23

So, the roving Nicaraguan ambassador, responsible for drumming up investment opportunities for Nicaragua is slinking around West Africa trying to drum up investment opportunities for Thailand. Didn't take him long to expose his lying, deceitful ways to the Nicaraguans.

My gf holds 3 passports Thai, US and NZ. The Thai immigration has no issue with her. Are you saying that Thaksin is the ONLY one that does not allow to hold other passports?

My gf holds 3 passports Thai, US and NZ. The Thai immigration has no issue with her.

Please provide proof of that.

Pics with obscured personal data and passport photo, except for the first name, of each passport would suffice.

Edited by sriracha john

While he continues to slide down the banister of ever-less desirable destinations, he loses favor with an ever-increasing list of of countries deciding he's persona non grata.

I hope they send him on a monthly visa run to ethiopia!

Somebody should forward this info to Daniel Ortega...I don't think he realizes that he's just been duped.

Yes, T could show them how he, while head of a 3-person committee which oversaw lottery revenue, was able to prance around Thailand handing out chunks of lottery cash to his most ardent supporters - all the while, the easily-duped (Issanites) thought it was T's magnanimity. Transferred to Liberia, or any other tin pot failed state, T might prove useful for ensuring the rich get richer and the poor poorer.

Edited by brahmburgers

My gf holds 3 passports Thai, US and NZ. The Thai immigration has no issue with her.

Pics with obscured personal data and passport photo, except for the first name, of each passport would suffice.

I have three active and four if I wanted to keep my Taiwan one up to date as well. Not sure what the original point was, but it's definitely possible to have more than 1 or 2.

:o

I have three active and four if I wanted to keep my Taiwan one up to date as well. Not sure what the original point was, but it's definitely possible to have more than 1 or 2.

With you, it's believable.

With him, it's not.

If the issue was Thai immigration, there probably wouldn't be a situation where you'd present more than two (Thai and one other to show where you've been), unless you just felt like showing them all your passports for whatever reason.... and even then, as long as they were all legal documents, it's no different than having several driver licenses, shouldn't be a problem, so the OP may be telling the truth (or not).

Edited by Heng

Why would samgrowth need to "prove" anything to you, SJ? Are you some version of a farang police auxiliary for immigration?

My gf holds 3 passports Thai, US and NZ. The Thai immigration has no issue with her. Are you saying that Thaksin is the ONLY one that does not allow to hold other passports?

Hello? Where am I saying that he's not allowed other passports? I think we all accept that he has a Nicaraguan diplomatic one, but why was he given it?

Foreign Ministry Spokesman Tharit Charungwat said on Friday the Ministry has verified reports and can now confirm that the government of Nicaragua has issued a diplomatic passport for Thaksin, in his capacity as a special envoy for foreign investment.

How does trying to promote Thai investment in West Africa help in that capacity? He's either taking the Nicaraguans for a ride, or, more likely, the pretext for issuing the passport was a sham. Most likely he paid Ortega a bunch of money in exchange for the passport. I doubt that the Nicaraguan government saw much, if any, of that money. How much value do you think other countries will put on a Nicaraguan diplomatic passport once this comes out (Assuming they put any value in them already)? I'm talking real countries here, not tinpot little dictatorships and despotisms with an annual GDP equal to the price of a Big Mac? The way Thaksin's going, he won't even be welcome in the better off despotisms, the ones that can afford a side order of fries and coke along with the Big Mac.

Why would samgrowth need to "prove" anything to you, SJ? Are you some version of a farang police auxiliary for immigration?

Have you forgotten John's zealous detective work on the British karate man. He became an undercover Facebook friend in order to find incriminating evidence ! A third world Sherlock Holmes !

Dual citizenship is illegal for Thais, is it not? Having two passports is a proof of dual citizenship, legally.

In practice, however, I've never heard of anyone being punished for that, or revoked Thai citizenship, for any reason.

I doubt Ortega was expecting Thaksin to bring investment to his country, it was just an excuse for public consumption.

Thaksin appears to be looking for a new base, after being kicked out of Dubai. Nicaragua's time zone makes it difficult for subversive activities against Thailand, Africa is better, but he needs infrastructure.

Whatever, July's trial is coming soon, he won't have a chance of stopping it, but he has no other choice but keep trying, so we are forced to watch this drama til the end.

There certainly ARE laws of nature that cannot be broken.

Human sense of justice is relative. Relatively strong states have relatively strong justice.

I don't see a reason to celebrate general lawlessness, the country can't function if people don't trust eachother because there's no sense of justice.

He doesn't need to prove anything to me... but to the board it might be a worthwhile effort to prove at least one of his dubious claims.

It's obvious you haven't followed his balderdash.

Have you forgotten John's zealous detective work on the British karate man. He became an undercover Facebook friend in order to find incriminating evidence ! A third world Sherlock Holmes !

Does that make you a fourth world Sherlock when you were unable to sort out what my nick was there after you joined Facebook?

You kids are so blind it makes me laugh.

They already let him skip bail once.

Now they are "trying" to bring him back.

Its all BS.

Here is where the current situation is totally different. Yes, I agree, they let him go before. But that was with the assumption he would behave like a "normal" exposed corrupt Thai ex-pol. Instead he morphs into the leader of a violent revolution. He didn't play the game the polite Thai way, so now the rules have changed. He is indeed an ENEMY OF THE STATE.

There certainly ARE laws of nature that cannot be broken.

Human sense of justice is relative. Relatively strong states have relatively strong justice.

I don't see a reason to celebrate general lawlessness, the country can't function if people don't trust eachother because there's no sense of justice.

everything seems to be functioning to me.

You kids are so blind it makes me laugh.

They already let him skip bail once.

Now they are "trying" to bring him back.

Its all BS.

Here is where the current situation is totally different. Yes, I agree, they let him go before. But that was with the assumption he would behave like a "normal" exposed corrupt Thai ex-pol. Instead he morphs into the leader of a violent revolution. He didn't play the game the polite Thai way, so now the rules have changed. He is indeed an ENEMY OF THE STATE.

His party was still in power at that time, and up until last week his entire family was sipping chaa-dam at the Peninsula Hotel. I am sure it will be weeks before they'll be back. Interesting, how his wife and children get to stay in the country and why their assets have not been contested.

Oh, hey, UAE says it will deport Thaskin, but he left three hours ago! Ah, shucks! It'll only be so long before he realizes there is nowhere else for him to run (only 675 countries remaining).

Edited by dave9988