O-a Visa

Hi

I have an O-A visa (multi entry) issued on the 9th Sept 2008.

The 'Enter Before' date being 8th Sept 2009

I arrived here 8th Oct 2008.

Do I have to leave and return before 8th Sept '09 or 8th October '09 to qualify for the extra year on the visa?

Does it have to be by air or will a land border crossing be ok?

When will I need to get another re-entry permit?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Tafia

Thanks Lop, I thought as much but good to get it confirmed.

I take it I dont need a re-entry permit on this trip due to my multi entry.

When do I get the new re-entry permit and where?

Thanks again

Just applying for my first OA visa (here in Los Angeles) and they tell me they no longer offer a mulitpul entry OA visa. Where did you get yours?

Try the Embassy in Washington. Members have reported success there.

By all accounts LA is the most unhelpful place in the US. for Visas.

For the last few years I have been getting my type "O" visa at the LA office and never any problems. I'm back to renew my visa here in LA and thought I'd try for the retirement visa this time, I'm tired of going to Mae Sai every 90 days...

From the Los angeles consulate web site:

*** Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.

*** The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.

Purpose of visit

To stay in Thailand for a retirement purpose.(Category “O-A”)

Validity of visa

The validity of visa is 3 months.

Period of stay

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period up to 1 year.

Fee

$ 65 for a single-entry ONLY, no multiple-entry.

The fee must be paid in the form of MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK only payable to “ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL LOS ANGELES”. Personal of company checks are NOT acceptable.

For the last few years I have been getting my type "O" visa at the LA office and never any problems. I'm back to renew my visa here in LA and thought I'd try for the retirement visa this time, I'm tired of going to Mae Sai every 90 days...

From the Los angeles consulate web site:

*** Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.

*** The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.

Purpose of visit

To stay in Thailand for a retirement purpose.(Category “O-A”)Retirement is a separate category of "reason" not covered in***above

Validity of visa

The validity of visa is 3 months. This means that the visa must be USED within 3 months

Period of stay

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period up to 1 year.see next line

Fee

$ 65 for a single-entry ONLY, no multiple-entry.The multiple entry visa is $175 and with it you can squeeze TWO years "permission to stay out of it (by doing a border run prior to the end of your year)

The fee must be paid in the form of MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK only payable to “ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL LOS ANGELES”. Personal of company checks are NOT acceptable. This is also the requirement for the Embassy in Washington

I think that you are just dealing with a bad website. I find it hard to believe that they don't issue multiple entry, since it is more money for them, with the same amount of work. I would call and ask to speak to the Consular Officer and if he / she does not give you any satisfaction apply in Washington.

Thanks again

Just applying for my first OA visa (here in Los Angeles) and they tell me they no longer offer a mulitpul entry OA visa. Where did you get yours?

Try the Embassy in Washington. Members have reported success there.

By all accounts LA is the most unhelpful place in the US. for Visas.

If you live in LA - the Thai Embassy in DC may refuse to service you and tell you to go back to the consulate in your own area. My sister who live in Austin TX, try to apply for a visa in LA while visiting my parents there - she was told that as she was risiding in Austin TX, she needs to go to the regional consulate that services that area which happens to be Washington DC. Before you fly to DC, it might be a good idea to call.

Well I would tell the Washington Embassy that I was applying through them because LA will not give me an Multiple Entry Visa as allowed by MFA regulations.

Embassies trump Consulates any day of the week

But of course - you'll do just that :-). DC is a nice city to visit for a weekend - but don't forget to get a return ticket back to LA :-)

Thanks again

When your return date is beyond your visa expiration date. You get the re-entry permit from the immigration office serving your place of residence (where you will apply for extension of stay in the future).

Thanks again

When your return date is beyond your visa expiration date. You get the re-entry permit from the immigration office serving your place of residence (where you will apply for extension of stay in the future).

Ok Thanks, excuse my ignorance and just to get this right is the following correct.

1.I can go to (say Vietnam) and come back before the 8th Sept and I will get another 12mths stamp before having to apply for extensions.

2. Should I wish to leave again I will require a re-entry permit from Nong Khai (I live in Udon Thani) and I can do this anytime during the year.

3. I assume a single re-entry is sufficient unless I wish to make a number of trips out of the country.

4. Do I require a new re entry each time I leave.

1. Yes

2. Yes if you want to keep your extension alive. In actual emergency you might be able to obtain at Bangkok airport as you depart but that is last chance and should be last option.

3. Yes.

4. Yes. Unless you buy the multi re-entry permit at 3,800 baht. All re-entry permits have the same expiration date (your current permitted to stay stamp date).

Well I would tell the Washington Embassy that I was applying through them because LA will not give me an Multiple Entry Visa as allowed by MFA regulations.

Embassies trump Consulates any day of the week

But of course - you'll do just that :-). DC is a nice city to visit for a weekend - but don't forget to get a return ticket back to LA :-)

Well we have a handy little thing in the US and it is called Express Mail and it saves you from having to fly from LA to DC and it is only $14 :o

Well we have a handy little thing in the US and it is called Express Mail and it saves you from having to fly from LA to DC and it is only $14

We also have an even better thing, called 'honorary consulates.' Most don't care where in the States you live (possible exception: Miami and Denver consulates). Most, if not all, issue multiple entry Non Imm O-A visas. All have email and phone numbers posted on the web -- and are glad to get your requests and questions, and will answer quickly (Houston for sure).

LA went to single-entry-only O-A visas a few years back, after (not coincidentally, I'm sure) a lively discussion on this forum. Seems like the 'nearly two year good deal' upset them, being too convenient for the would-be retirees. That they -- and not their rivals, the Immigration Police -- would make more money issuing multi entry visas seemed to be lost in their arrogance.

My sister who live in Austin TX, try to apply for a visa in LA while visiting my parents there - she was told that as she was risiding in Austin TX, she needs to go to the regional consulate that services that area which happens to be Washington DC.

Unless she needed Thai translation services of some sort, she had three better options: the honorary consulates in Houston, Dallas, and El Paso. They all give outstanding service -- but only speak Texan, with a Spanish twist. That your sister lives in Texas -- and LA wouldn't mention any of the 3 consulates......! Incredible.

And, yes, doing business by mail with the honorary consulates is a piece of cake. Turnaround in a week or less, in my past experience.

Can someone explain how to stretch a one year (oa) retirement multipul entry visa into almost two years? How does that work?

Thanks

Two weeks before the multiple-entry "O-A" visa expires (the use before date on the visa) you exit Thailand to another country and return to Thailand where you will be admitted for another year.

Edited by InterestedObserver

1. Yes

2. Yes if you want to keep your extension alive. In actual emergency you might be able to obtain at Bangkok airport as you depart but that is last chance and should be last option.

3. Yes.

4. Yes. Unless you buy the multi re-entry permit at 3,800 baht. All re-entry permits have the same expiration date (your current permitted to stay stamp date).

Thanks Mate......Noted all, much appreciated as always

Can someone explain how to stretch a one year (oa) retirement multipul entry visa into almost two years? How does that work?

Thanks

Two weeks before the multiple-entry "O-A" visa expires (the use before date on the visa) you exit Thailand to another country and return to Thailand where you will be admitted for another year.

And at that time do you have to show new bank statments? Or are you still on the original paperwork?

Thanks

And at that time do you have to show new bank statments? Or are you still on the original paperwork?

Thanks

You just cross the border with your passport, turn round and come back again to get 12 months stamp.

Assuming you have a Multi Entry

Be aware it does not renew your visa. You enter country while visa is still valid and you always get a one year permitted to stay. So if you do it the day before visa expires it is almost two years. But for any travel with a return after the original visa expires you need to have a re-entry permit. After that you extend your stay in a normal manner at Immigration each year.

Thanks

Sorry if I am being 'dense', but I worry a lot about this subject :D

I have a 1 yr, multi, Non Imm O {married} Visa {issued in Ankara, 'cos I live in Bulgaria} and it Expires on 1st June 2009. It clearly says 'Extension not permitted'.

I have been doing 90 day 'visa runs' via Ranong, and I had always assumed I definitely had to leave Thailand and return from Europe by plane with a fresh Non Imm 'O' Visa later this year. I know I can get an 'extra' 90 days' near the end of this Visa; but 1 year ?

I have no significant savings, and earn far less than 40,000 Baht as a Teacher ;{

Please, somebody who has experience, can you confirm if the above '1 Yr bonus' is True ? Also is there something special about 'two weeks before it expires' ? Many Thanks everybody :o

Thanks

I have a 1 yr, multi, Non Imm O {married} Visa {issued in Ankara, 'cos I live in Bulgaria} and it Expires on 1st June 2009. It clearly says 'Extension not permitted'.

I have been doing 90 day 'visa runs' via Ranong, and I had always assumed I definitely had to leave Thailand and return from Europe by plane with a fresh Non Imm 'O' Visa later this year. I know I can get an 'extra' 90 days' near the end of this Visa; but 1 year ?

I have no significant savings, and earn far less than 40,000 Baht as a Teacher ;{

Please, somebody who has experience, can you confirm if the above '1 Yr bonus' is True ? Also is there something special about 'two weeks before it expires' ? Many Thanks everybody :o

If you exit/enter the day before the Visa expires you will get another 90 days. Making a total of 15 months.

We are talking about an O-A Visa. You have an O Visa. Not the same.

You do not have the visa we are talking about. You have a normal 90 day entry "O" visa. The extra year is from the multi entry "OA" visa.

If you can not afford to extend your stay (you can't) by marriage so will need a new visa. If you have 100k or so in a bank account you might be able to obtain in KL and not have to travel to home country. You would need marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and should have a note from her that you live together and she wants a multi entry visa issued for you.

There is nothing special about 2 weeks before it expires but that is the normal time that most would make application for one year extension of stay if they had the qualifications.

This only applies to a multiple entry OA retirement visa. Each entry is for one year. So by using it by the use by date you get an extra year. The two weeks is not needed leaving the day before would give another year.

Your visa only gives you 90 days each entry. But you can get an extra 90 days by leaving and returning the day before the use by date.

Also that stupid stamp or line in a visa sticker that says no extension means nothing to immigration. It's something some consulates do for no valid reason. I have seen a copy of a sticker where immigration crossed out the no extension line.

You don't have to go to Europe to get a new non-o for marriage to a Thai. You can get one in KL or Penang.