Citizenship-anyone know the actual situation?

There are no end of references to the residing in Thailand 10 years, age of 40+ etc requirements as per the 1962 law. However, this law carries a possibility of exception to this where marriage to a Thai, having Thai born children or a period of study in Thailand can be shown. In this case one must show good character, knowledge of Thai language and I think gainful employment. It is suggested on this site's main page that in these circumstances 5 years residence is enough, but 5 years does not appear in the statute as far as I know. Does anyone know the truth and practical realities of citizenship application? There is so much bullshit and folklore spoke on subjects such as this that it is difficult discerning the truth. Anyone ACTUALLY DONE IT?

Well and it is deep as Dr.PP said . I have Thai citizenship having obtained it last year. They say 100 a year but don't think it is ever that high.

In Reality you can apply any time. It does take about three years. I didn't have permanent residency when I applied nor did I ever apply for it. You have to have a Thai wife 99% of the time., clear police record, fair health, money in bank( I had 2 million), helps if Thai child again I did, also able to speak Thai (I get by resonably well) and helps read and write( I do).

Now I am still amazed that other people who have tried failed and they had same as I stated above and more money.

I do have technical skills which the goverment needs my expertise in . I never applied for a work permit but never worked here either as I maintained a office in HK and make the Thais fly to meet me in Singapore or KL(for tax purposes). Well after a few years of this my application was approved .Thus I pay my taxes here and I am a Thai citizen and the goverment saves money. Of course my fees went down too. At least until the other day.

All said like lottery or a compelling reason for them to approve.

Good luck