Pad Leader Sondhi Limthongkul Shot

LawnGnome

BBC reported there could be many suspects, and not just the reds.

I am quite sure it is not the Reds. The Reds may have the capacity to instigate violence. But this is the work of a team of professional hit men. It must be directed by someone who holds utmost hatred against Sondhi. Who is he?

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a possibility that this wasn't an assasination attempt but just a warning. The reds aren't stupid enough to kill the PAD leader, it just makes him a matyr. The reds have lost enough support and credibility already. Possibly just a bunch of really pissed off strongmen or rogue group with spare time. Killing Sondhi isn't going to quell the PAD.

Anybody who thinks this is a trick to discredit the reds should probably have their own heads checked for bullets.

Thankfully it's Chamlong, not Chalerm, on the side of the yellows - I'm guessing he'll be voicing a non-violent reaction.

Thaksin's "democracy" in action.

Regardless of who is responsible for this act the fact remains that the yellow shirts are the ones who created the opportunity for this sort of action to happen.

It was the yellow shirts who refused to accept the democratically elected government and flouted the rule of law in their airport and parliament blockade.

And subsequently managed to depose the elected government.

Instead of organising themselves as a political party in attempt to win power thru the ballot box they seized political power illegitimately thus giving the red shirts plenty of traction with their current actions.

Unfortunately for Thailand it is the average person who is going to suffer and it seems even more disturbing that this whole situtation is heading into more troubled waters with an extended period of internal political instability marked by increasing outbursts of violence.

The portents dont look good at all.

And again and again and again....the courts dissolved PPP and not only them for massive vote buying.

A democratic elected government is elected WITHOUT vote buying.

NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

My wife heard on the radio that Sondhi LImthongkul - the founder of the Manager Daily Newspaper, ASTV, and a core leader of the PAD - the People's Alliance for Democracy, was shot, along with his driver.Sondhi is in serious condition : doctor

Sondhi Limthongkul is in serious condition

BANGKOK: -- Sondhi Limthongkul is in serious condition after being shot as a bullet hit his left skull. The bullet is still in his skull, causing bleeding inside his brain, Vajira Hospital Director Dr Chaiwun Charoenchoktavee said Friday.

Doctors are conducting an urgent operation on Sondhi and the operation is expected to finish around noon.

Sondhi, a core leader of yellow shirts, known also as People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who seized Bankok airports late last year, has no wounds on his body.

His driver, Vayupak Mussi, was also seriously wounded from the attack. Doctors said later that he survived and was now in stable condition.

Meanwhile PAD's spokesman Parnthep Pualpongpan said at least two attackers riding on a pickup blocked Sondhi's vehicle who was on Samsen Road, heading to Manager newspaper office in Banglampoo area early Friday morning.

The attackers then shot four tyres of Sondhi's vehicle before stepping out of their car and sprayed more bullets on the car. The attack lasted about five minutes and the attackers went back to their pickup which sped away along Tevet Road.

Police who rushed to the scene found Sondhi's car riddled with bullets and they could collect more than cartridges of AK-16 and rifles from the scene.

Parnthep said Sondhi was informed of reports that he could possible a target of attack, but he simply ignored the warnings.

Meanwhile Chamnong Paokorn, 53, a bus driver, said that he was driving his bus past Iamworanut Temple when he saw a blue pickup truck which had no license plate blocked Sondhi's vehicle.

Then two men on the back of the pickup then opened fires on the vehicle. Then another vehicle sped to the scene and exchanged fires with the attackers who later escaped the scene.

-- The Nation 2009-04-17

Sondhi of PAD survives shootings

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 17/04/2009 at 07:51 AM

Car of Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), was attacked early Friday around Bangkhumprom intersection, near the ASTV station.

Mr Sondhi sustained minor injuries, but his driver was in critical condition, according to Manager website.

Full Bangkok Post article

Thank Goodness he's still alive. I fear what public reaction would have been if it turned out differently. Thank you red shirts, for your continuing efforts to destroy our country...

The PAD yellow shirts sent the coutry on the path of destruction when they closed the airport and overthrew the elected government in a silent coup !!

The gangland-style shooting is expected to prolong the state of emergency in Bangkok and suburbs, government leader said.

There you have another motive...

Its easy to point at Thaksin. However, the source of this incident can just as well be whoever put Abhisit in personal danger multiple times the last week. Or whoever let down the guard at ASEAN summit.

Sondhi of PAD survives shootings

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 17/04/2009 at 07:51 AM

Car of Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), was attacked early Friday around Bangkhumprom intersection, near the ASTV station.

Mr Sondhi sustained minor injuries, but his driver was in critical condition, according to Manager website.

Full Bangkok Post article

Thank Goodness he's still alive. I fear what public reaction would have been if it turned out differently. Thank you red shirts, for your continuing efforts to destroy our country...

The PAD yellow shirts sent the coutry on the path of destruction when they closed the airport and overthrew the elected government in a silent coup !!

THE NATION REPORTS ON HIS SURVIVAL http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/17...cs_30100677.php

>>>>>>>>>>>>There's a possibility that this wasn't an assasination attempt but just a warning. The reds aren't stupid enough to kill the PAD leader, it just makes him a matyr.

I saw Sondi's vehical, like swiss cheese, this was definitely a hit.

They would have kept firing if the second vehicle didnt arrive firing back.

I'd say it was a thwarted assasination.

I just saw footage of Sondhi walking around after the shooting, obviously blood everywhere but it could be a cut from the glass.

If anyone was shot in the head, they would not be walking around.

I find it fishy, i really do.

Wasn't that his driver?

the pictures I just saw on TNN where of sondhi walking into the hospital/standing in the hospital, then pics of him laying down with tubes up his nose

There's a possibility that this wasn't an assasination attempt but just a warning. The reds aren't stupid enough to kill the PAD leader, it just makes him a matyr. The reds have lost enough support and credibility already. Possibly just a bunch of really pissed off strongmen or rogue group with spare time. Killing Sondhi isn't going to quell the PAD.

No stupid people here? No one stupid enough? HUH!

People shoot Brits on the front lawns during daylight

over realestate deals gone bad,

and shoot other people just from lost face...

The 'person' most likely to have called this hit,

doesn't want to QUELL the PAD, but bring them out,

until he can come in and act the conquering hero.

It is massively delusional of course...

Anybody who thinks this is a trick to discredit the reds should probably have their own heads checked for bullets.

Thankfully it's Chamlong, not Chalerm, on the side of the yellows - I'm guessing he'll be voicing a non-violent reaction.

Regardless of who is responsible for this act the fact remains that the yellow shirts are the ones who created the opportunity for this sort of action to happen.

It was the yellow shirts who refused to accept the democratically elected government and flouted the rule of law in their airport and parliament blockade.

Instead of organising themselves as a political party in attempt to win power thru the ballot box they seized political power illegitimately thus giving the red shirts plenty of traction with their current actions.

Unfortunately for Thailand it is the average person who is going to suffer and it seems even more disturbing that this whole situtation is heading into more troubled waters with an extended period of internal political instability marked by increasing outbursts of violence.

And again and again and again....the courts dissolved PPP and not only them for massive vote buying.

Not in Thailand.

Patronage has long been part of the political system in thailand just as it is in many other countries.

The same thing happens in Japan as well.

And if you want to take this a little bit further vested interest groups in the US donate money to political parties to secure favourable legislation and treatment.

Fact is the yellow shirts were allowed to blockade the airport and parliament and the police and army looked on.

Yellow shirts should have learnt by know to play the game as it is played in Thailand. They didn't and decided to take matters into their own hannds and the results are clear for all to see.

Do you think this would have happened in any western country?

I just saw footage of Sondhi walking around after the shooting, obviously blood everywhere but it could be a cut from the glass.

Wasn't that his driver?

the pictures I just saw on TNN where of sondhi walking into the hospital/standing in the hospital, then pics of him laying down with tubes up his nose

Thanks...I was getting my characters mixed up.

Wasn't that his driver?

He has a bullet that entered his temple, and is lodged within his skull. He was conscious when he entered the hospital. They probably induced a coma, because he now has bleeding in the brain. He's in serious condition, but has a good chance of survival. He is undergoing surgery now. Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

I hope the driver makes a full and speedy recovery. I don't care for Sonthi, but I do not wish for anything bad to happen to him, either.

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of a protracted problem for the country.

Here, here. A speedy recovery to both men.

>>>>>>>>>>>>There's a possibility that this wasn't an assasination attempt but just a warning. The reds aren't stupid enough to kill the PAD leader, it just makes him a matyr.

I saw Sondi's vehical, like swiss cheese, this was definitely a hit.

They would have kept firing if the second vehicle didnt arrive firing back.

I'd say it was a thwarted assasination.

People talk about the Reds and the Yellows as if they were homogenous groups with clear and common goals. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Reds are a Thaksin pressure/insurrection vehicle which also happened to align with the interests of upcountry people looking for a more egalitarian society. The Yellows are a largely middle class movement that also happened to provide cover and further the interests of the "elite" . Thaksin and the "elites" provided funding because they needed the bodies, but their goals were certainly different than the people who did their bidding.

This Sondhi thing? My hunch Jakrapob has his hand in it somewhere in order to start a greater conflgration. He really doesn't care if he burns it all down.

IMO Thaksin was behind this, he needs to keep stirring the pot. He is on the ropes, desperate and will swing wildly.

Why is everything done by Khun Thaksin?

He has the most motivation by far.

And the money to finance it.

And the observable instability of mind

to think this is a good plan.

IMO Thaksin was behind this, he needs to keep stirring the pot. He is on the ropes, desperate and will swing wildly.

Why is everything done by Khun Thaksin?

uhm, maybe he is the prime suspect because he is the puppet master over the puppets? Granted everything is speculation and opinion anyway. Like most non-authoritative comments here.

Maybe Abhisit should call an election thereby nullifiying any question about who is the rightfully elected party. I would hope that they would not try to impose their 33% elected / 66% selected idea though as I don't feel that's very democratic!

2 moving vehicles. Non-pro shooters. Could just be a lot of misses.

I seem to remember reading that during the US's involvement in Viet Nam, US soldiers expended an average of 300 bullets for each wounded enemy soldier and over 1,000 for each enemy killed. Automatic weapons are very inaccurate. (By the way, the article I read on Bloomberg said around 50 bullets, not 100. Still, I wouldn't have wanted to be in the car.

I blame Sondhi's injuries on the government. If he'd been in jail, where he belongs, this wouldn't have happened.

Maybe Abhisit should call an election thereby nullifiying any question about who is the rightfully elected party. I would hope that they would not try to impose their 33% elected / 66% selected idea though as I don't feel that's very democratic!

I doubt they would want to call an election because they would probably lose.

am quite sure it is not the Reds. The Reds may have the capacity to instigate violence. But this is the work of a team of professional hit men.

They managed to fire greanades into tents with sleeping PAD protesters, why not a couple of guys bullet spraying the vehicle?

The reds aren't stupid enough to kill the PAD leader

They were stupid enough to start a revolution and get confronted by angry people who they thought would stand on their side.

Now it's only revenge for that loss that is driving them. Sondhi is a perfect target to vent their anger.

Besides, you assume that reds have long term goals other than saving Thaksin's ass. Well, I think they don't, so they don't give a fuc_k how shooting Sondhi would affect their alleged cause in the long term. It just feels good.

:o Emptying a AK47 and M16 into a car - dont think this is scare tactics. !!

First thought came to mind was the reds trying to kill Sondhi. If you think so, you're too naive.

I think I'm naive enough to get totally condused. What was the message? I still think they've tried to kill whoever was inside that van.

I can't believe how some of the red supporters on this forum make such a big deal about how the PAD filled the terminal. They stormed the airport and the AOT closed it. Flights were re-routed and some even continued to operate at U-tapao. After a few days SUV opened and resumed operations. I don't think they blew up any planes. I don't even think they attacked any passengers. I don't think they even set a fire on the premises. This was last year and its time to get over it.

But to blame the PAD for the events unfolding the past few days is just preposterous. So does blocking the airport allows the right for the reds to wreck havoc in BKK and cause turmoil to everyday BKK citizens? So its ok to hijack a LPG tanker and threathen to blow it up? Is it ok now to burn buses? Does it warrant cause for an assasination attempt? Most of you educated in logic should know that this slippery slope is a fallacy.

The problem with many people in this world is blind faith, acting without thinking. But to turn yourselves into public enemies and terrorists is not the way to do it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Many people don't like the PAD or Sondhi, many don't like Abhsit, but many people despise the outlaws, terrosrist, and thugs even more.