Village Policeman

zoolander

The mrs runs a village shop in a small village about 15km from the nearest ploice station. Today a policeman run up a drinks and food bill for over 300 baht and deceided not to pay. This amounts to 3 days profit for the shop. The mrs is well pi**ed off and wants to complain to the City cops. For me its peanuts but feel if nothing is said then the situation could repeat itself with other bent cops or if we do complain this could cause problems for us in the future. What would you do.............

The mrs runs a village shop in a small village about 15km from the nearest ploice station. Today a policeman run up a drinks and food bill for over 300 baht and deceided not to pay. This amounts to 3 days profit for the shop. The mrs is well pi**ed off and wants to complain to the City cops. For me its peanuts but feel if nothing is said then the situation could repeat itself with other bent cops or if we do complain this could cause problems for us in the future. What would you do.............

Don't know about Amnat Charoen but here at Klong 10 Thanyaburi my wife would go into her dragon lady mode and get the money back. She ran the mooban shop for here for a couple of years then got bored and sold it, but during that period she did get to know many of the local cops. Indeed, there was one LTC living here from a Bangkok station that she stared down over something not related to the shop at all.

Beware angry Thai gals!

Mac

Do the police know you are her husband? They probably think they are stealing from you which is totally acceptable since you are a foreigner with no rights and too much money (in their eyes).

In retail one has to be a bit of a toughie.

Same as my wife, she would be totally useless working in a shop and couldn’t cope very well with awkward customers.

Or perhaps the OP is involved with the shop, that is illegal in Thailand and the policeman knows it.

So he just picked up the products and walked out the door without paying? Surely the issue should have been addressed at that point (aka "where the <deleted> do you think you're going")?

Edited by dave111223

Since they have got away with it the first time, they will come back and do it again...

Install a CCTV camera - even a dummy one - in a highly visible position and erect a big sign in Thai that reads 'We will prosecute all thieves - you are being videoed right now!'

Simon

Sad to say there are many Bad Apples out there in a cop uniform, I must concur with the eye drop idea or just request payment up front from him and his buddies and if they ask why(?) tell them, in other words you might be better OFF taking the law into your on HaNdS, NO PUN INTENTED :o:D

Never really understood what stops the bad police here totally running amok ? Anybody enlighten me ?

Also spent years in the wife's town and 90% of the time, when the Thai wives of farangs i knew were playing around, it was a policeman involved. Imagine there was a predatory/threatening aspect to many of these relationships and a few of the farangs and women ended up broke or substantially worse off.

Some friends of mine have relatives that used to run a small restaurant in a rural village in Roi-Et. The food was pretty good, and the local police used to eat there often, ordering lots of food and whiskey and ringing up high bills. They would always leave without paying their bill. Eventually it got so bad that the owners had to close the restaurant because they were losing too much money. Pity that bad cops can ruin a good thing. The community lost a quaint little mom and pop restaurant, and for what? A few free meals for some bad cops? What are cops like that good for?

So he just picked up the products and walked out the door without paying? Surely the issue should have been addressed at that point (aka "where the <deleted> do you think you're going")?

I agree.

and if he replies im a policeman I can do what I want , then what ?

Just tell your wife to keep a bottle or two of eye drops behind the counter. If said cop returns put a few drops in his food or drink, he will not return again.

Curious minds want to know what happens to people who ingest eye drops?

Its nearly 2 years now since Mrs new beauty salon opened, a local cop came in for a haircut, he was happy with the service but didnt want to pay, saying hed just come to check the place out for his other cop mates,

Mrs made a phone call and after a few mins recived a call, and another 20 mins the local police chief turns up, after a bit of disscusion the police chief pays for his minion, arranges a deal for coppers haircuts ect,

Mrs explains later that she is a tax payer and her buisness is regersted at the amphur office, so cops dont get freebies!!

[and the first phone call was to her brother, hes a Police captain in Korat]

So its not what you know, its who you know!!

Its nearly 2 years now since Mrs new beauty salon opened, a local cop came in for a haircut, he was happy with the service but didnt want to pay, saying hed just come to check the place out for his other cop mates,

Mrs made a phone call and after a few mins recived a call, and another 20 mins the local police chief turns up, after a bit of disscusion the police chief pays for his minion, arranges a deal for coppers haircuts ect,

Mrs explains later that she is a tax payer and her buisness is regersted at the amphur office, so cops dont get freebies!!

[and the first phone call was to her brother, hes a Police captain in Korat]

So its not what you know, its who you know!!

Exactly.I constantly here people say its so easy for Thais to start a business, Thai people are lazy etc etc but if they are not in with the right people they are just going to get shafted.

I agree.

and if he replies im a policeman I can do what I want , then what ?

Then i'd stand in front of his motorbike not allowing him to leave until he'd paid.... then what? He's going to call in the whole squad to assist in his corruption? At least force him to make a decision... not just breeze out the door with zero resistance...

Just tell your wife to keep a bottle or two of eye drops behind the counter. If said cop returns put a few drops in his food or drink, he will not return again

Yes i am curious as well,what does putting eye drops into food and drink do?? :D

Please enlighten :o

Just tell your wife to keep a bottle or two of eye drops behind the counter. If said cop returns put a few drops in his food or drink, he will not return again.

Agreed, i thought eye drops were just some kind of water solution...i don't see how something that you put directly into your eye would make you ill when ingested?

Agreed, i thought eye drops were just some kind of water solution...i don't see how something that you put directly into your eye would make you ill when ingested?

I thought so too.

But have a look at this link and make up your own minds.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp

Also, Visine themselves recommend immediate medical assistance of ingested.

www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=330

Who'd a thunk it.

Edited by tuky

Corruption is really bad for a country's economy. Just a couple of the anecdotes above show how small businesses struggle when corruption rears its ugly head. Corruption affects business decisions in all sizes of business.

This is not just a moral issue, it affects the ability of society to function properly.

If the OP is near to Bangkok area, knows the id of the officer and gives me a PM then I will let my friend know when I see him next. He is a police major-general in the Bangkok area and he doesn't like this sort of stuff and he has told me to tell him of occurences.

If the OP is near to Bangkok area, knows the id of the officer and gives me a PM then I will let my friend know when I see him next. He is a police major-general in the Bangkok area and he doesn't like this sort of stuff and he has told me to tell him of occurences.

There is one point I want to add. Think carefully before taking this option. This is a serious excalation of the situation. An awful lot of police officers could get into trouble, i.e. all his commanding officers. It might, presumably, destroy their careers and their livelihoods. And the situation might still not be resolved to your satisfaction. Think.

There is one point I want to add. Think carefully before taking this option. This is a serious excalation of the situation. An awful lot of police officers could get into trouble, i.e. all his commanding officers. It might, presumably, destroy their careers and their livelihoods. And the situation might still not be resolved to your satisfaction. Think.

Another example of 'my best friend the policeman'. He is not your friend and never will be. He is there to get as much out of you as possible. I bet whenever you go out together for a drink it is you that gets the bill. Him and his mates must be laughing at you behind your back. Wake up pal !

Another example of 'my best friend the policeman'. He is not your friend and never will be. He is there to get as much out of you as possible. I bet whenever you go out together for a drink it is you that gets the bill. Him and his mates must be laughing at you behind your back. Wake up pal !

Not necessarily have to be like that . I know of may Thai males even strangers who payed my checkbill infront of

them leaving ! Many Thai males in fact like to show respect that they have money too , and will not let you pay at all .

Must agree on the fact that no matter what never make friends with cops . At least this is my experience

and humble opinion .

For the OP , your wife should have made it clear the moment the cop walked away . There is no reason to be afraid ,

exactly for that reason those cops try it , because fear of them .

When its the head cop it might turn to be a different story , they indeed can ruin a place they favor to attend ,

happened here several times as well , and ladies are not safe either .....

Next time your wife should make it clear , direct but polite , make them smile and he will pay or try the next lao shop ..