And The Translation Is....

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

THE NATION. reports:

And the translation is....

By Tulsathit Taptim

[email protected]

Nation online readers have joined hands to help translate a Nicaraguan Embassy letter regarding Thaksin Shinawatra

Our desperate plea for help with the translation of a letter the Nicaraguan Embassy sent to the Thai Embassy there regarding Thaksin Shinawatra's special passport status has received overwhelming responses. We would like to thank everyone of you _ from Spanish natives to those who resorted to google translator to help as well as one man who advised us that singer Paiboon "Pan" Kiatkiewkaew should be able to help thanks to his Spanish knowledge.

Almost everyone of you agreed that "adolece de sustentacion" means "lacks basis" or "lacks support". Therefore, the Nicaraguan Embassy was telling the Thai Embassy that news reports about Thaksin getting citizenship or passport in Nicaragua were unfounded, groundless or baseless.

One reader also noted that the Nicaraguan press statement confirming Thaksin's special ambassador status does not necessarily mean he was granted honorary citizenship with a travel document that can take him anywhere in the world.

There are some cautious voices, though. "The translation is 'the said report lacks substance'," said Alastar Adams. "But I would be very cautious about interpreting this as a denail that a passport has been issued. A denial would be written along the lines "the Nicaraguan government confirms that a passport was not issued".

Louis Macareo gave a similar caution. "Keep in mind that they are not technically denying the possibility of it being true. It simply can not be confirmed," he said. "The translation is a very diplomatic way of saying that "the news to which you refer can no be substantiated" i.e., at least from the information that they have, it is NOT true."

Giancarlo Galavotti saw the opposite. "The verb "adolecer" literally means to suffer beacuse of an illness, and in diplomatic terms is used to soften the impact of a simple "It's a LIE".

Eduardo Campos-Tortosa, who was kind enough to offer to translate the whole embassy letter, has come up with full translation that seems to confirm that the embassy was denying Thaksin had been given a passport:

QUOTE (Seal, that reads "Republic of Nicaragua - Central America") EMBASSY OF NICARAGUA IN MEXICO EDNIC/EMB/91/2009

The Embassy of the Republic of Nicaragua in Mexico presents its compliments to the Embassy of the Kingdom of Thailand in Mexico and has the honor to refer to the latter's Note No. 31001/126/2552, by which the Embassy requested assistance in order to verify the news reported by the Press in Thailand, concerning the alleged grant of Nicaraguan citizenship and Nicaraguan Passport to Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra, Ex-Primer Minister of Thailand.

The Embassy of the Republic of Nicaragua informs the Royal Thai Embassy in Mexico that the news under scrutiny have no substance ( or "are unsupported". Either version is acceptable).

The Embassy of the Republic of Nicaragua in Mexico avails itself of this opportunity to reiterate to the Embassy of the Kingdom of Thailand in Mexico the assurances of its highest and most distinguished consideration.

Mexico, D.F. 15 April 2009 Seal and Signature TO THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSYCIUDAD (In town) UNQUOTE

Well, this should settle the embassy issue, although the translation raised some questions concerning the Nicaraguan government's stand on Thaksin over the past few days.

We would like to thank all of you again for following our website and responding to our plea without hesitation. Someone looked in the Spanish dictionary, another contacted his Mexican co-worker and several others emailed people they know in order to help us. Many thanks. We do appreciate it.

Gracias y buena suerte

I am hoping it is true that he has a passport from Nicaragua . I think having to live over there is worst than him being in jail over here in Thailand and it should be for life and not only 2 years

The issue is not in which country he finds refuge, but rather that he finds refuge at all. As long as he is running free, he will cause problems for Thailand.

BTW, Managua isn't as bad as you think.

There is the small possibility that the N embassy in Mexio know about nothing when it comes to what the government in N do or dont do. I very much doubt that my countries embassy in Malaysia know anything about what my countries embassy in Phil have done to a citizen of - lets say south africa.

How many places could he go to with a Nicaraguan passport without a visa?

Even a diplomatic one?

Uhm ...just about every country in the world? And do you really think that Dr. Thaksin, with billions of dollars, couldn't get a visa to any country in the world if he needed it?

Even a diplomatic one?

Uhm ...just about every country in the world? And do you really think that Dr. Thaksin, with billions of dollars, couldn't get a visa to any country in the world if he needed it?

I seem to remember him getting knocked back by the UK just recently?

and I would be very surprised if australia gave him one at the moment.

There are some cautious voices, though. "The translation is 'the said report lacks substance'," said Alastar Adams. "But I would be very cautious about interpreting this as a denail that a passport has been issued. A denial would be written along the lines "the Nicaraguan government confirms that a passport was not issued".

laughable but not surprising that this rag needs help with translation - how about proof reading the english first in this and all its 'reporting'?

Even a diplomatic one?

Well seems he is having a real hard time visiting the Kids In Kensington these days...

And has he visited his lil daughters house in Hong Kong recently.

Nope thought not.

Even a diplomatic one?

Maybe Dr Thaksin, the billionaire could, but Mr Thaksin, the convict, might have a harder job, especially with his dwindling fortune. Or do you really think that, with all his money and free acess to any country in the world, he decided "what the hel_l, I hear the Congo's nice this time of the year, I'll head off there instead of the South of France / the Caribbean / Australia / Tahiti, or anywhere else in the world that isn't a stinking hellhole"? Think of the irony if he was to get yellow fever while there. He'd scrub his skin red to try and get rid of it.

I am hoping it is true that he has a passport from Nicaragua . I think having to live over there is worst than him being in jail over here in Thailand and it should be for life and not only 2 years

The issue is not in which country he finds refuge, but rather that he finds refuge at all. As long as he is running free, he will cause problems for Thailand.

But he's not in Managua, he's in Africa. Either he couldn't navigate to save his life, ("It's in South America? I thought you said South Africa!") or he's going to sit on the west coast and wait for the two continents to drift back together again. The man would be a comical buffoon if he wasn't such a murderous traitor.

Exactly. It gets harder to find a refuge when you habve been seen on international TV encouraging violence in a country. Few want to harbour such people maybe not because of any ethical reason but becuase theydont want poltical/business problems with any other country or they dont want to think maybe one day the other country will reciprocate. His time in the middle east may become more limited but he'll no doubt find a country or two that will grant landing rights for his private jet. Quite whether he will be allowed the same freedom to organize violent events though will remain moot.

Thought he was coming back to Thailand if the army went in anyway;)

Exactly. It gets harder to find a refuge when you habve been seen on international TV encouraging violence in a country. Few want to harbour such people maybe not because of any ethical reason but becuase theydont want poltical/business problems with any other country or they dont want to think maybe one day the other country will reciprocate. His time in the middle east may become more limited but he'll no doubt find a country or two that will grant landing rights for his private jet. Quite whether he will be allowed the same freedom to organize violent events though will remain moot.

Thought he was coming back to Thailand if the army went in anyway;)

Frankly, as long as he's not in Thailand, I could care less where he stays. Let him try to take over Nicaragua, they love strong armed wanna be dictators there!

Even a diplomatic one?

That is the solution! No more passports or visas are needed. Only $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I doubt any Eurozone country will grant him entry easily even with 5 diplomatic passports in his hand...

i didnt know thaksin was a Dr.?

is it a PhD or an MD?

i knew that he had a rank in the police force i think it was pun tum ruat to, but never knew he was a doctor?

Want a PhD. Just buy one from the internet. Or pick one up sameday from Kao San Road. A lot of would be English teacher in Thailand do that.

Honorary Doctorate from some university for making a speech and a large donation.

Possible I remember it being in Japan.

Might have coincided with a large long term japanese investment

in the Skytrain or infrastructure too. But that maybe incorrect.

May 1979. PhD in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University, USA.

PhD thesis: Why criminal justice practitioners tend to break the law.

------------------------------------------------

Irony knows no bounds.

Funny to think the blabbering and blathering man of CNN interview fame actually produced a PhD-level thesis in English on his own.

Edited by sriracha john

Irony knows no bounds.

Funny to think the blabbering and blathering man of CNN interview fame actually produced a PhD-level thesis in English on his own.

IF he actually produced it himself....

his reputation for honesty and even the subject,

seem to indicate a preoccupation with ignoring the rules.

As for the Irony,

4 square for sure!

Irony knows no bounds.

As for the Irony,

4 square for sure!

Lest you guys forget, most people in Texas can barely string 5 words of English together, either. So he was in good company at the school.

Even a diplomatic one?

not to the UK, and not to Japan, although his American Visa was inside his Thai passport, will the USA now revoke his visa for there..???? Oh for a dish of Som Tam... Mr Toksin.....

Irony knows no bounds.

As for the Irony,

4 square for sure!

The funny nature of this degree promtped me to send an inquiry to the President of Sam Houston State - contents as follows.

Dear President Gaertner,

In 1979 your school awarded a PhD in Criminal Justice from your College of Criminal Justice to Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra. Dr. Thaksin is famous for being the former PM of Thailand.

However, in light of the recent fact that he is a convicted fugitive from justice, and is currently wanted by the Thai Police and Interpol for crimes against the Kingdom and the people of Thailand, including inciting insurrection against the government, I was wondering if your school has any plans to revoke his degree. He is making a mockery of your institution's good name. Especially when you consider that his PhD Thesis was entitled "Why Criminal Justice Practitioners tend to Break the Law".

Dr. Thaksin tends to highlight his "Doctorate" in most international interviews, and the irony of his international fugitive status (he is currently hiding out in Nicaragua) is very thick indeed.

Most sincerely,

Dr. LawnGnome

However, in light of the recent fact that he is a convicted fugitive from justice, and is currently wanted by the Thai Police and Interpol for crimes against the Kingdom and the people of Thailand..

Another farang posting crap. Thaksin is not and was never wanted by Interpol.