Bigfoot In Chiangmai

Igor

Size 13 US - I think that comes out to a size 49 here.

I had some sandals sent to me from the US but for the amount of money for shipping and import taxes, I should have had a foot transplant.

Isn't there SOME place in Chiang Mai that sells shoes, preferably sport shoes, in BIG sizes?

A kilometer or two down the road from Chang Puak Gate on Chang Puak road you will see several shoe shops on the left. Some of these have fantastic shoes. If they don't have your size, they can custom make a pair for you in a day or two. Last pair I bought down there was about 800 baht. Very rugged and comfortable. Central often has larger sizes too, but significantly more expensive.

I have the same problem and if i ever hear of anyone coming over here I will buy stuff online and they will bring it to me. Transportation fees usually paid in beers.

I am now the Imelda Marcus of Chiang Mai with 8 pairs of size 12 " stashed " away like a squirrel just in case ......

Its almost impossible to find 12/13 here and if you do they are a very narrow fit.

Keen makes so great sandles, they are the only shoe that I wiill buy online and not worry about the fit.

Perhaps if you are nice to Ian he might bring some over for you :o

What a shock, Ian. When were you in Scotland visiting my ex?

Thanks, T-Dog. I have tried those shops before. No one offered to build me a pair. I'll have to try again.

I guess I'll be going to the States to visit my aging mother at Christmas. I suppose I'll be bringing back two extra suitcases. One filled with shoes and socks, the other with underwear and shirts.

Thanks, T-Dog. I have tried those shops before. No one offered to build me a pair. I'll have to try again.

I guess I'll be going to the States to visit my aging mother at Christmas. I suppose I'll be bringing back two extra suitcases. One filled with shoes and socks, the other with underwear and shirts.

Funny you should mention that. I did the same thing a few years ago and stocked my closets full of XXL items. Sadly due to the over consumption of Thai food and beer they still sit in the closets awaiting the time in the future when they will fit me again.

I dont remember the last time I wore a pair of socks but I have enough to pass onto my great grandchildren, same with the underwear :o

Igor.... Great, you know about them. There is one particular shoeshop (sounds like a Jimmy Buffett song, I know!) where the owner is very friendly. I have a very wide foot and nothing even came close to fitting and the owner was pretty excited to help me. If I get that way again I'll try to get you a pic of the front of his place. They all look so alike I always have trouble finding it.

And gee, it always felt a long way down from the gate but looking at the map, it isn't!

Size 13 US - I think that comes out to a size 49 here.

I had some sandals sent to me from the US but for the amount of money for shipping and import taxes, I should have had a foot transplant.

Isn't there SOME place in Chiang Mai that sells shoes, preferably sport shoes, in BIG sizes?

I've had no luck finding size 13 sport (running) shoes in Chiang Mai, ever. I have found some in Bangkok. Now I just have them sent to me from the US.

Have a look at this thread in case you ever get to BKK:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Running-Shoe...ur-t138483.html

A kilometer or two down the road from Chang Puak Gate on Chang Puak road you will see several shoe shops on the left. Some of these have fantastic shoes. If they don't have your size, they can custom make a pair for you in a day or two. Last pair I bought down there was about 800 baht. Very rugged and comfortable. Central often has larger sizes too, but significantly more expensive.

Could you be more specific with the location? I assume you are heading north from the moat and have not yet reached the superhighway. Do you have a reference from Tanin Market?

Also, does one or more of these stores look like the kind of place that could do decent leather repair? The little shops spotted around aren't really equipped to do that well.

Thanks!

I've had no luck finding size 13 sport (running) shoes in Chiang Mai, ever. I have found some in Bangkok. Now I just have them sent to me from the US.

Have a look at this thread in case you ever get to BKK:

Thanks for that link. Somehow I missed it in my own search. But, at 4000 - 6500 B a pair + a trip to Bangkok, maybe having them sent to me isn't so bad afterall.

Any tips on how to get them sent in without paying nearly 100% taxes on top of shipping? I suppose I could have my sister ship them to me and claim a value less than actual.

Hey T_Dog: I like Jimmy Buffet. If you could get a photo of the place, that would be great. On the other hand, I've no plans for this weekend. Maybe I'll walk over and then just walk up and down the street asking.

Any tips on how to get them sent in without paying nearly 100% taxes on top of shipping? I suppose I could have my sister ship them to me and claim a value less than actual.

I ordered from an independent shop I know in Kansas City; I received them just a few days ago. My wife opened the box and threw away the packaging, so I don't know what was on the customs form. But it was sent USPS Global Priority, and there apparently was no import duty. My wife paid the mailman seven (yes, 7) baht, for what I don't know.

There is another thread here about vitamins and import duty. Apparently if the package goes through FedEX or some such courier, packages get hit with a duty. Regular post is less susceptible though not immune to duties and taxes.

Yes, it is a safe bet to have an intermediary send along your shoes as a gift for personal use.

Currently enjoying my Mizuno running shoes in size 13!

Yes, it is a safe bet to have an intermediary send along your shoes as a gift for personal use.

Thanks, M7E. My shoes are really getting sad. I guess I'll try your technique - again!

Didn't work last time I had my sister send me something.

Thanks, M7E. My shoes are really getting sad. I guess I'll try your technique - again!

Didn't work last time I had my sister send me something.

No worries. PM me if you want the store I deal with; duties might have something to do with where it comes from.