Salaries And Teaching In Thailand

Income From Full-Time and Part-Time Jobs  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The anonymous poll question is about your income- the question of whether every work permit 'i' is dotted and 't' is crossed is not raised. I would recommend against incriminating yourself by posting information on the forum which identifies any work you may happen to do as illegal, but I can't stop you. Otherwise, simply tick a box on the poll.

Sigh... it seemed so simple...

Could i just say that i know quite a few people that do 'privates' to top up their school salary.

Maybe 4 hours a week or so..............which puts them, often, in the 'less than 10k a month' bracket - the same as people who do NO privates.

It might be more accurate to have a 'zero' section for people who dont do any private lessons.

It's a pretty clear question. How much do you make from teaching work, either at a full time school and/or at private/part-time work? If you only make your income from one source, just select "0-10,000" for the other source.

too much scatter.

you need to know if the teacher has BS, MS, PhD

the school is a university or private international school

how many hours worked each week.

Salary

Looking at the votes, it appears as though there are some 'porkies' going in lol :o

Not if you are working in a true blue International School Mr TEFLMike. :D

The 200k+ sounds a bit high for teaching here. That's 4000 pounds a month! Perhaps the principal of a top school here, but a regular teacher??

Looking at the votes, it appears as though there are some 'porkies' going in lol :o

And not if you get 1,500 an hour on your privates, get all your work through referrals, have to turn away work because you don't want to do more than 30-40 hours a week, and smile about those who sell themselves for 500 an hour, which you used to get almost 20 years ago :D .

Of course this is not a particularly scientific survey. I'm not trying to form a perfect normal curve and I'm not interested in normalising for education and experience level (partly because I don't feel it will make that much difference). I just want a picture of what's out there.

The 200k+ sounds a bit high for teaching here. That's 4000 pounds a month! Perhaps the principal of a top school here, but a regular teacher??

For sure the 200k is not common but it is achievable for a qualified teacher. I work at one of the "top 5", so to speak. Most of the teachers have a salary ranging from 100k to 140k as the norm. The schools generally have salary scales based on position (KS Coordinator etc) qualifications, experience and content. For example, a content teacher with an MA, BSc in his subject would easily achieve 140+. Then there is the housing allowance paid on top of that. One school (not mine) gives 38k a month allowance for teachers with family. Add on the other fringe benefits then it is (200k) achievable.

I recently graduated with an MA TESOL but I did not see any salary increase for that because I am a Math subject teacher. Therefore it is not relevant to what I teach. There are many criteria for salary received.

I have no idea what my Principal makes but if I were to hazard a guess it would be around the 350k+ figure. That sounds high but in reality it is what some Heads of good private schools would make back in the UK anyway.

The current exchange rates are very favourable now for ex-pat teachers sending the money back home. That wasn`t the case 3 years ago when it was 70-71 baht to the pound. So yes, 200k is around 4000 a month now, which is great, but 3 years ago it was worth a lot less (compared to the pound) and therefore more in line with UK wages. Salaries paid in Thai baht have not gone up all that much in the last few years.