Working Visas

My understanding is that if you quit your job here, get sacked, etc that you must go to Immigration and have your visa cancelled on your last day of employment (if your visa is based on a position with an employer eg extension). Then you must try to get a seven day extension of stay if you want to stay here. Otherwise, you are supposed to leave the country on that day.

However, I have heard rumours that this has changed. Apparently, even if you are no longer working for a particular employer who got you a visa extension for one year, you can stay in Thailand until that visa expires. In other words, you get your visa extension and one month later you lose your job etc but you can still stay in Thailand for 11 more months?

Personally, I think this is not the case but maybe somebody more knowledgeable than I can shed some light on this please?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Hill16

Your understanding is correct. When your job ends your reason for the granting of an extension ends.

Some labor offices even notify immigration when a work permit is cancelled.

This of course doe not apply if your are on a multiple entry visa and making border runs every 90 days. Or on a single entry if you have not gotten an extension of stay yet.