Moving To Bangkok. Finding An Apartment?

Boostgod

Hello! This is my second post on this forum. I am moving to thailand from canada by myself in October. I am 24 and have saved up a bunch of money and want to try living in LOS for 6 months. I want to get an apartment in Bangkok for 1 month maybe 2, then move to another location and find another apartment to live in for a month or two. Seems cheaper then getting hotels and hostels every night. Where should I look to find reasonable priced apartments? ($300 to $600) Is one or two months too short of a stay? Any and all advice is appreciated!

-ben

You can find cheap places under 10,000bht a month that rent month to month. a number of places will want at least 6 month but others don't mind. Just say to them that you might stay longer.

My tip for finding a place is just find the area you want to live in and then just walk around and go into any place that looks like it is an apartment building. Might help if you have someone who can speak thai a bit for you. But depends on each place.

I hunted for an apartment last week. Try mrroomfinder.com, bangkokpost classified (and some other websites , but I'm on a public pc now...)

Before that decide where you want to stay & what you need in an apartm.

Call first and ask, cause information in ads can be very misleading. Sometimes you have to rent a fridge, wifi etc. too on top of the monthly rate.

People like to bend the truth a little (Yannawa Residence: close to bts station, only 10 min....euhm ..checked on the map....10 minutes x3?)

And at last: have a look.... and go by transport you' d use.

• 2 weeks later...
I hunted for an apartment last week. Try mrroomfinder.com, bangkokpost classified (and some other websites , but I'm on a public pc now...)

Before that decide where you want to stay & what you need in an apartm.

Call first and ask, cause information in ads can be very misleading. Sometimes you have to rent a fridge, wifi etc. too on top of the monthly rate.

People like to bend the truth a little (Yannawa Residence: close to bts station, only 10 min....euhm ..checked on the map....10 minutes x3?)

And at last: have a look.... and go by transport you' d use.

We can rent you an apartment from 4,500 per month plus bills. We are located 10 minutes from Khao San by direct bus (24 hours a day). To get into the city is easily achieved by bus and we are 5 minutes from a river boat station. Please check out www.marinahouse.freehosty.com for more information and details on how to contact us. We rent on a monthly basis (non-serviced).

Cheers

kao sarn raod is cheap, they can do you monthly as well^^

God almighty don't rent at Koasarn road! Its full of foreigners for chrissakes! What an awful suggestion.....

Hey! KID! DONT RENT AT KOASARN. If you want to actually "do" the Thailand thing than staying in lame tourist areas is not the way to go. Even if it is just for the first 2 months of your trip. When I first got here 5 years ago I spent 3 weeks on Koasarn road and its 3 weeks of my life I wish I could get back, what a waste of time.

Starry Place, would fit the bill. On Soi Rangnam, about 10 minutes walk from the Victory monument.

They used to rent studios for 9K per month and 1 br I believe was 14K.

I never lived there but I checked out the place and think it is a good option, if you would like to stay in that area for a month. It is a lively area. I think the Soi where Starry Place is, is reasonably quiet. However, So Rangnam and Victory Monument are quite busy.

Another area to check out is Soi Ari. Take the BTS to ARI station. If you are coming from Siam, exit on the left side of the road and keep walking in the direction of the BTS train you just exited. Next soi turn left. Nice area and lot's of condos. Don't know about monthly rentals though.

If you want to stay close to Siam/National Stadium, Patumwan House is not bad, about 15K though for a studio.

Almost all places want a deposit of either 1 or 2 months. And you pay extra for electricity and water. So ask for the rates for this as well. Some places charge the power company's rate, but many charge 5,6,7, or even 8 Baht per unit for electricity. Depending on how much AC you need and the age of the AC, this can add another 2-4K...... to the bill for a studio.

Good luck,

yongli

kao sarn raod is cheap, they can do you monthly as well^^

God almighty don't rent at Koasarn road! Its full of foreigners for chrissakes! What an awful suggestion.....

Hey! KID! DONT RENT AT KOASARN. If you want to actually "do" the Thailand thing than staying in lame tourist areas is not the way to go. Even if it is just for the first 2 months of your trip. When I first got here 5 years ago I spent 3 weeks on Koasarn road and its 3 weeks of my life I wish I could get back, what a waste of time.

I second Sabum. Long time, IMO no way. Khaosan is good for 1 or 2 nights, to get the idea. But then I would look elsewhere.

Most places want a 6 month or 1 year contract, but if you're willing to pay more they may scrap that rule. You should still be able to find a place in your price range, it won't be very big but it will be a place to live.

• 3 months later...

I rented an apartment for one month earlier this year, near Khao San road at a place called Amarin Inn. It was a hotel not an apartment place but I chatted with them and we settled on 10,000 B per month plus electricity, water was free. I think it worked out at about 10,400 altogether. It was close to the Fort Phrasumen so I didn't have to get involved with Khao San at all.

I co own 55 rooms many are new can do a 3 month rental all are near the bts can send me a message here if u like Ill have to see whats available right now in my list. You will be dealing direct with "US" the owners no agents all prices for electric and water direct from govt no surcharges.