The Diesel Tree: Grow Your Own Oil

GungaDin

by Warren McLaren, Sydney 2.04.08

You'd have thought that with 20,000 stories in our archives we might've at least mentioned this in passing. But it seems not. Australian farmers in the wet tropical region of North Queensland have bought over 20,000 of these so-called diesel trees. The intention is that in 15 or so years they'll have their very own oil mine growing on their farmland. Because, the Brazilian Copaifera langsdorfii, to use its botanical name, can be tapped not unlike a rubber tree, but instead of yielding rubbery latex it gives up a natural diesel. According to the nurseryman selling the trees, one hectare will yield about 12,000 litres annually. *

Once filtered—no complex refining required, apparently—it can be placed straight into a diesel tractor or truck. We read that a single Copaifera langsdorfii will continue to produce fuel oil for an impressive 70 years, with the only negative being that its particular form of diesel needs to be used within three months of extraction.

Oddly this is not news. <a href="http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Copaifera_langsdorfii.html">The Center for New Crops & Plant Products, at Purdue University reports that it was first reported to the western world as far back as 1625. They observe reports from 1979 saying "Natives ... drill a 5 centimeter hole into the 1-meter thick trunk and put a bung into it. Every 6 months or so, they remove the bung and collect 15 to 20 liters of the hydrocarbon." The UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation noted in a paper at the Eleventh world forestry congress back in 1997 on the topic of tree oil for cars that "... the potential of other alternatives such as the Amazon Copaifera langsdorfii need to be investigated."

Copaifera langsdorfii can grow trunks 30 metres tall and store the oil in their unusual capilliary structure. The above image is a transverse section of the tree's cells.

* I used to convert metric measurements in American imperial but when I discovered that the only countries that have failed to embrace metric are the USA, Liberia and Burma I stopped. However Purdue University record that "An acre of 100 mature trees might thus be able to produce 25 barrels of fuel per year."

Via ABC and Sydney Morning Herald

Source: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/th...our_own_oil.php

The comments after the article are interesting. :o

Good post Gungadin, this is exacactly what the big oil companies have kept from us over the years, not to mention Goverments and the taxes from oil,

We live in a society that canot do without the car ect nowadays, and if you asked a kid to draw a pic of a chicken, it would be a box of wings from Tescoes,,,,

A canadian friend who visits us every year is an oil field surveyor for the sand/oil places in Canada, some open cast pits are 20k by 2k and 1/2k deep, and finally this year it seems Canadian goverment want to backfill and re-plant these holes, so thats a start, lets hope they plant with Diesel trees, if they will grow in Permafrost?

Copaifera langsdorfii can grow trunks 30 metres tall and store the oil in their unusual capilliary structure. The above image is a transverse section of the tree's cells

Be handy to grow in the Pick-up if they wernt so tall,,

Cheers, Lickey..

Thanks, here's a little more background to the Treehugger story.

Qld farmers invest in diesel-producing trees

By Brigid Glanville

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:44pm AEDT

The tree produces an oil that can be extracted, filtered and used to power vehicles farm machinery (file photo) (user submitted: Julie Searle)

Farmers in North Queensland are doing their bit to be environmentally friendly by investing in a tree that produces diesel.

Over 20,000 trees have been sold to farmers in the tropics by the man who introduced the diesel tree from Brazil.

The tree produces an oil that can be extracted, filtered and used to power vehicles and farm machinery.

It is estimated a one-hectare crop could produce enough fuel for an average-sized family farm.

Mike Jubow, a former cane farmer and now a nursery wholesaler, says diesel-producing trees are a long-term investment.

"If I'm lucky enough to live that long enough - I'm 64 now - it is going to take about 15 to 20 years before they are big enough to harvest the oil so that I can use them in a vehicle," he said.

"Principally, they are an ideal plantation tree for a family farm where, from generation to generation, you will harvest this oil so that your grandson and your great-grandson can still be virtually getting free fuel from these trees 30 to 50 years in the future."

Mr Jubow says one hectare can produce around 12,000 litres of fuel per year.

"Last year we sold around about 20,000 of these trees. This year we'll sell probably similar figures, but we could sell more except that we can't get enough seed out of Brazil," he said.

He says the trees need a lot of water to grow.

"They have got to be in the higher rainfall areas like coastal Queensland, [which] is ideal from around about Rockhampton north," he said.

"They're early growth. They are known as a secondary successional tree, which means they will grow in the shade of other trees so it is wise to plant them as a mixed plantation with other faster-growing trees."

Mr Jubow says there has also been interest in the diesel trees from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) in Queensland and Farm Forestry.

"Farm foresters are very interested in this tree. I do have some interest from the DPI in the Northern Territory and also Western Australia," he said.

"There is a world-wide database on plant species that have been known to become pests. This plant is not on that list."

He says farmers who want to grow the trees need to know what they are doing.

"It is a very difficult tree to grow from the point of view of a nurseryman like myself - it is not something where an amateur could just grab a handful of seeds and go and grow them," he said.

"It is not that simple. They are a very difficult seed to germinate."

If things go according to plan, it appears that the diesel trees could definitely be an asset to the environment.

"Here is a source of renewable energy," Mr Jubow said.

"Not only that, when the tree reaches its use-by date, you've got plantation-grown timber which is a very high-grade timber that is suitable for cabinet-making. It is a very ornamental timber.

"You are still keeping it out of the CO2 system by harvesting the timber and milling it and putting it into high-quality furniture."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/25/2198815.htm

I would imagine the climate here and in Malaysia would be ideal for this tree, or Isaan if near a water source.

The local yang na tree (dipterocarpus alatus) is tapped for oleoresin also. The resin from these trees is used for lamps and torches. Now more commonly used in paints and varnish.

Haven't seen anything discussing the use of resin from this tree as a fuel for motor vehicles, though.

• 4 months later...

Loom, you're right and I heard and read from members of the 'village philosopher' (=prat chao ban) network that the resin can be used in Kubota tractor engines as well. I've also found an article about using the resin as a biodiesel:

http://dllibrary.spu.ac.th:8080/dspace/bit...b8%e0%b8%94.pdf

It's in Thai, but the English translation says rubber trees. When you read the Thai, and I can read most of it, it says: yang na. Also the picture of the tree resembles a dipterocarpus alatus.

The advantages of yang na are ample. It grows very well, people use it for natural mushroom production and the wood is of high quality.

I would be very interested if anyone can find seeds or saplings.

Might be that I for the first time actually can give some good input on any topic in the farming section :)

Found the seeds :D:D:D

http://www.alibaba.com/product/br100354783...RFII_SEEDS.html

Thanks C64. Could be the best USD 550 long term investment anyone could make (for a kg of seed). The reference from the Aussie nursery guy in a previous post re being very difficult to germinate suggests this is knowledge needed. I also wonder if the trees would handle a dry season.

I would be very interested if anyone can find seeds or saplings.

Might be that I for the first time actually can give some good input on any topic in the farming section :)

Found the seeds :D:D:D

http://www.alibaba.com/product/br100354783...RFII_SEEDS.html

Thanks C64. Could be the best USD 550 long term investment anyone could make (for a kg of seed). The reference from the Aussie nursery guy in a previous post re being very difficult to germinate suggests this is knowledge needed. I also wonder if the trees would handle a dry season.

I have absolutely no idea but there are some info on the net that you might be able to find. There have been some governmental AG test runs with this tree in Brazil. I read about this tree a year ago without thinking too much over it except lately when it showed up here as a thread.

• 1 month later...

by Warren McLaren, Sydney 2.04.08

You'd have thought that with 20,000 stories in our archives we might've at least mentioned this in passing. But it seems not. Australian farmers in the wet tropical region of North Queensland have bought over 20,000 of these so-called diesel trees. The intention is that in 15 or so years they'll have their very own oil mine growing on their farmland. Because, the Brazilian Copaifera langsdorfii, to use its botanical name, can be tapped not unlike a rubber tree, but instead of yielding rubbery latex it gives up a natural diesel. According to the nurseryman selling the trees, one hectare will yield about 12,000 litres annually. *

Once filtered—no complex refining required, apparently—it can be placed straight into a diesel tractor or truck. We read that a single Copaifera langsdorfii will continue to produce fuel oil for an impressive 70 years, with the only negative being that its particular form of diesel needs to be used within three months of extraction.

Oddly this is not news. <a href="http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Copaifera_langsdorfii.html">The Center for New Crops & Plant Products, at Purdue University reports that it was first reported to the western world as far back as 1625. They observe reports from 1979 saying "Natives ... drill a 5 centimeter hole into the 1-meter thick trunk and put a bung into it. Every 6 months or so, they remove the bung and collect 15 to 20 liters of the hydrocarbon." The UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation noted in a paper at the Eleventh world forestry congress back in 1997 on the topic of tree oil for cars that "... the potential of other alternatives such as the Amazon Copaifera langsdorfii need to be investigated."

Copaifera langsdorfii can grow trunks 30 metres tall and store the oil in their unusual capilliary structure. The above image is a transverse section of the tree's cells.

* I used to convert metric measurements in American imperial but when I discovered that the only countries that have failed to embrace metric are the USA, Liberia and Burma I stopped. However Purdue University record that "An acre of 100 mature trees might thus be able to produce 25 barrels of fuel per year."

Via ABC and Sydney Morning Herald

Source: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/th...our_own_oil.php

The comments after the article are interesting. :)

"drill a 5cm hole and put a cork in it - then come back 6months later for your 15 - 20 litres of diesel ......."

For Thailand change to:

"drill a 5cm hole and, then secure cork with a high security hasp & latch - then come back 6months later and hope someone hasn't drilled another hole......."

There was something written up on the Farming section a few years ago about a tree that produces fuel, but I don't recall it been anything like this sort of quantity. This warrants some looking into - 12 000litres per hectare! R u sure?? Wow - thats pretty good.

Of course the devil is in the detail, and while the yields here look pretty good, the big apparent advantage is that so little post harvest processing needs to be undertaken - hence little capital outlay is required for hardware. Something new worth reading up on.

SoHow long does this "organic bowser "take to grow before it starts producing?

aaaah .. have just read some of the posts above:

- 15 - 20 before you can start harvesting

- need lots of water - and thats going to equate to pretty high energy costs if you're growing in the North East (how much and how often)

This sounds like a high rainfall and humid enviroment crop - prehaps along the coastal regions of Thailand, but not inland.

Edited by Maizefarmer

- The tree will need 15-20 years to mature.

- Needs at least 1,7 meters of rainfall every year - preferably in the range of three meters (spread evenly over the year).

- Producing for the next 70 years

- make excellent timber for furniture

- Needs security around the premises. Something involving barb wire, a couple of rabid dogs and a reliable watchman.

I can try to backtrack to the sites where I read the details about the three. Might take a couple of days

It was easier to backtrack my steps than I thought (and haven't got anything else to do than go to the gym and surfing the net).

What comes below is schissored in from another websites

The oldest stuff mentions something interesting about making

several drill holes in the trunk on different heights to increase

the yield but haven't been tested in practice

------------------------------------------------------------

Uses

That the oleoresin called copaiba could be obtained by incising the trunk was first reported in England in 1625, in a work published by Purchas, "...a single tree is said to yield about 40 litres." (Grieve, 1931, reprinted 1974). Quoting nobel-laureate Calvin, Maugh says (1979), "Natives ... drill a 5 centimeter hole into the 1-meter thick trunk and put a bung into it. Every 6 months or so, they remove the bung and collect 15 to 20 liters of the hydrocarbon. Since there are few Rabbit diesels in the jungle, the natives use the hydrocarbon as an emollient and for other nonenergy-related purposes. But tests have shown, he says, that the liquid can be placed directly in the fuel tank of a diesel-powered car." (Maugh, 1976). The copal is used in lacquers, massage preparations, medicines, and paints. Wood and resin can be used for fuel. The wood is used in carpentry (Burkart, 1943).

Folk Medicine

According to Hartwell (1967-1971), balsam of one species is used in folk remedies as a fomentation, for tumors of the prostate gland. Grieve (1931) describes the balsam as stimulant, diuretic, carminative, laxative; in large doses purgative, causing nausea, vomiting, strangury, bloody urine, and fever. A good remedy for chronic catarrh and bronchitis, as it assists expectoration and is antiseptic; given with advantage in leucorrhoea, chronic cystitis, diarrhea, and hemorrhoids. It is chiefly used in gonorrhea (though not advocated for chronic cases), often combined with cubebs and sandal. It has also been recommended externally for chilblains. Both the volatile oil and resin are greatly altered when expelled in the urine, and when precipitated by nitric acid might be mistaken for albumen; it is considered a valuable hydragogue diuretic in obstinate dropsy. It creates an irritant action the whole mucous membrane, imparts a peculiar odor to the urine and breath, causes an eruption resembling measles attended with irritation and tingling; it is the resin, not the oleoresin, that is used as diuretic. Duke and Wain (1981) note that this species is a folk remedy for dermatosis, eczema, and gonorrhea. In Panama, Yaviza negros mix cabismo resin with honey and give it to the newborne, to impart knowledge and ward off hexes. The gum is also used for treating venereal diseases, for massage, and for hair oil (Duke, 1972, under "cabismo").

Chemistry

In what could as well apply to other species, Hager's Handbuch lists delta-elemene, copaene, alpha- and beta-cubebene, cyperene, alpha-bergamoten, beta- and gamma-elemene, beta-farnesene, alloaromadendrene, alpha- and beta-humulene, beta-bisabolene, alpha- and beta-selinene, delta- and gamma-cadinene, ar-curcumene, calamenene. From the wood, Langenheim (1981) reports the following diterpenoids: polyalthic acid; (-)-jkaur-16-en-19-oic acid, (-) 16 betakauren- 19-oic acid and eperu-8(20)-en-15,18-dioic acid. In 1980, Calvin published the chromatogram of products obtained from Copaiba oil.

Langenheim (1981) compares the sesquiterpenes of Hymenaea, shall we call it the "kerosene tree," and Copaifera, Calvin's "diesel tree."

Sesquiterpene HydrocarbonsHymenaeaCopaiferaAllo-arodendrene--woodalpha-Bergamotene--woodbeta-Bisabolenewoodwooddelta-Cadineneleaf-pod-stem cortexwood, leafgamma-Cadineneleaf-stem cortexleafCalamenene--woodCalarenepod--Caryophylleneleaf, pod-stem cortexwood, leafalpha-Copaeneleaf-stem cortexwood, leafbeta-Copaeneleaf-stem cortexwood*, leaf*alpha-Cubebeneleaf-stem cortexwood, leaf*beta-Cubebene--woodCurcumene--woodCyclosativenepod--Cypereneleafwood, leafbeta, delta, and gamma-Elemene--woodbeta-Farnesene--woodalpha-Himachalenepod--beta-Humuleneleaf-stem cortexleaf*alpha-Muurolenepod--beta-Muurolene--woodgamma-Muuroleneleaf-stem cortexwood, leaf*alpha-Selineneleaf-stem cortexwood, leaf*beta-Selineneleaf-stem cortexwood, leaf*Selina-4(14), 7(1l)-dienepod--Selina-4(14), 7-dienepod--*probably present Langenheim (1981)

Description

Evergreen tree to 35 m tall, to 1 m in diameter, otherwise rather resembling Copaifera officinalis, which see. In Argentina (Territorio de Misiones) it is 6-12 m tall, with paripinnate glabrous, subcoriaceous leaves 5-10 cm long; leaflets 2-4 pairs, opposite or semialternate petiolulate, elliptic ovoid, 2-6 cm long, 1.2-2.5 cm broad with finely pinnate reticulate nervation, glandular-punctate. Flowers in terminal racemes to compound panicles with numerous, subsessile whitish flowers. Sepals 4 lanceolate, concave, firm, glabrous outside, pubescent inside. Petals absent. Stamens free, (8-)10, the anthers elliptic, versatile. Ovary hirsute; briefly stipitate; fruit ovoid, compressed, ca 2 x 3 cm, coriaceous, with one large seed partially covered with a thick aril (Burkart, 1943). There is some question about the distinctness of the species. This species, called "Copaiba" in Brazil, is called "Cabismo" in Venezuela, a name applied in Darien Panama to what was identified by Duke (1972) as Copaifera officinalis, but has since been relegated to another species. Duke describes "cabismo" as one of the finest timbers in Darien. Calvin (1980) mentions another similar species, Copaifera multijuga.

Germplasm

Reported from the Middle and/or South America Center of Diversity, the diesel tree, or cvs thereof, is reported to tolerate some waterlogging. Seedlings germinate well in dense shade. In his lecture at Beltsville, Calvin states that he has obtained somatic fusion of Copaifera and Euphorbia. Perhaps he has changed his mind since then. (2n = 2)

Distribution

Because of the taxonomic obscurity of the species, I cite only northern and Amazonian South America.

Ecology

Probably ranging from Subtropical Dry to Wet through Tropical Dry to Wet Forest Life Zones, this copaiba probably tolerates annual precipitation of 10 to 40 dm, annual temperature of 20 to 27°C (with no frost), and pH of 4.5 to 7.5. Early USDA publications suggest that most copaiba comes from regions with annual precipitation of 3500 mm or more and annual temperature ca 27°C.

Harvesting

A cross section of the trunk shows that the hydrocarbons collect in thin capillaries that may extend the full 30-meter height of the tree. A holedrilled into the tree probably collects hydrocarbons from capillaries ruptured by the drilling, Calvin speculates, so that it may be possible to increase the yield by drilling additional holes. An acre of 100 mature trees might thus be able to produce 25 barrels of fuel per year. Unfortunately, in the United States the tree would probably grow only in Southern Florida. The Brazilian government has already established experimental plantations. Calvin concedes that copaifera will probably never represent a significant source of diesel fuel for the U.S. It is of interest chiefly as an example of the great diversity of materials produced by plants (Maugh, 1979). Old USDA information summaries give a slightly different harvesting story. "The wood of the tree is honeycombed with a network of connected cavities in which the oleoresin forms. To tap the tree, a drainage reservoir is hollowed out near its base by cutting inward and downward into the center of the trunk. The cavities containing the oleoresin gradually drain into these hollowed-out wells. This process is repeated several times during the season. When first obtained, copaiba is thin and clear but on aging becomes thicker and acquires a yellowish tinge."

Yields and Economics

USDA once reported per tree yields as high as 53 liters (14 gallons). A tree yields 53 liters of "diesel" and diesel sells for $1.00 per liter, it would pay the natives to gather the material. Apparently this is not happening to any great extent. Back in 1938, the U.S. imported from Brazil nearly 100 tons worth only ca $30,000 then, 106 tons worth ca $34,000 in 1939, and 102 tons worth ca $36,000 in 1940.

Energy

Although not specifically recommended as a firewood, the balsamiferouswood, with density of 700-900 kg/m3, should burn readily, perhaps even when green. Calvin (1980) reports yields of 40 liters of hydrocarbon per tree per year, which can be "used directly by a diesel-powered car." Calvin sent a sample to Mobil Corporation to obtain a cracking pattern. "It produces the same kind of mixture in general as the oil from the E. lathyris [mostly aromatics (50%), LPG (25%), and low-molecular-weight fuel gas (3 to 4%) and coke]." (Calvin, 1980). In his seminar at Beltsville, Calvin (1982) seems to favor the terpenes of Copaifera to those of Euphorbia and hopes, by somatic hybridization to develop a Euphorbia, suitable for our climates, which will produce the sesquiterpenes. Apparently N-fixation has not been reported for this species.

Biotic Factors

No data available.

References

• Burkart, A. 1943. Las leguminosas Argentinas. Acme Agency. Buenos Aires.
  • Calvin, M. 1980. Hydrocarbons from plants: Analytical methods and observations. Naturwissenschaften 67:525-533.
  • Calvin, M. 1982. Oil from plants. Lecture at Beltsville, MD., September 8, 1982.
  • Duke, J.A. 1972. Isthmian ethnobotanical dictionary. Publ. by the author. Harrod & Co., Baltimore.
  • Duke, J.A. and Wain, K.K. 1981. Medicinal plants of the world. Computer index with more than 85,000 entries. 3 vols.
  • Grieve, M. 1931. A modern herbal. Reprint 1974. Hafner Press, New York.
  • Hartwell, J.L. 1967-1971. Plants used against cancer. A survey. Lloydia 30-34.
  • Langenheim, J.H. 1981. Terpenoids in the Leguminosae. p. 627-655. In: R.M. Polhill and P.H. Raven (eds.), Advances in legume systematics. 2 vols. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
  • Maugh, T.H., II. 1979. Unlike money, diesel fuel grows on trees. Science 206:436.

Complete list of references for Duke, Handbook of Energy Crops last update July 8, 1996

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What's below is schissored in from the Agro forestry database on that

bush

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Species identity

Taxonomy Current name: Copaifera langsdorfii Authority: Desf. Family: Fabaceae - Caesalpinioideae

Synonym(s) Copaiba langsdorfii (Desf.) Kuntze Copaifera nitida Hayne Copaifera sellowii Hayne

Common names

(English) : diesel tree

(Portuguese) : copaiba

(Spanish) : cabismo

Botanic description

Copaifera langsdorfii is an evergreen tree to 6-12(-35) m tall, and 1m diameter. Leaves paripinnate, glabrous, subcoriaceous, 5-10cm long; leaflets 2-4 pairs, opposite or semi-alternate, petiolulate, elliptic ovoid, 2-6cm long, 1.2-2.5cm broad, with finely pinnate reticulate nervation, glandular-punctate. Flowers in terminal racemes to compound panicles with numerous, subsessile whitish flowers. Sepals 4, lanceolate, concave, firm, glabrous outside, pubescent inside. Petals absent. Stamens free, (8)10, anthers elliptic, versatile. Ovary hirsute, briefly stipitate. Fruit ovoid, compressed, 2 x 3cm, coriaceous, with one large seed partially covered with a thick aril.

Ecology and distribution

History of cultivation

Experimental plantations have been established in Brazil.

Natural Habitat

Copaiba is a climax species probably ranging from subtropical to tropical dry and wet forest, it is found in both riparian forest and montane semi-deciduous forest. The tree tolerates annual precipitation of 1000-4000mm, annual temperature of 20-27 deg C (with no frost), and soil pH of 4.5-7.5.

Geographic distribution

Native : Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Venezuela

Biophysical limits

Mean annual temperature: 20-27 deg C Mean annual rainfall: 1000-4000mm Soil type: Copaiba grows well on dark-red latosols and lithosols, it tolerates soil pH of 4.5-7.5 and some waterlogging.

Reproductive Biology

C. langsdorfii shows a tendency towards a tri-annual reproductive pattern and partial deciduousness, with most leaf fall occurring during the dry season. Apis mellifera and Trigona spp. are important pollen vectors for C. langsdorfii.

Propagation and management

Propagation methods

Seedlings germinate well in dense shade.

Tree Management

Planting at a spacing of 3 x 1.5m, C. langsdorfii showed high growth rate in height and stem diameter after 5 months. Reports of 40 liters yields of hydrocarbon per tree per year have been recorded.

Germplasm Management

Seed storage behaviour is orthodox. Viability is maintained after 8 months storage at 7.8% moisture content and 3 deg C.

Functional uses

Products

Apiculture: Bees are major visitors of the tree for pollen. Fuel: The balsamiferous wood, with density of 700-900 kg/cu m, burns readily, perhaps even when green. The hydrocarbon obtained from the trunk can be used directly by a diesel-powered car. Timber: The timber is highly resistant to natural decay caused by Gloeophyllum trabeum, Coriolus versicolor and Poria monticola. The wood is used in carpentry. Gum or resin: The oleoresin called copaiba is obtained by incising the trunk. The hydrocarbon is used as an emollient and for other non-energy-related purposes by the natives. The copal is used in lacquers, massage preparations, medicines, and paints. Copaiba is thin and clear but on aging becomes thick and acquires a yellowish tinge. Poison: It creates an irritant action on the whole mucous membrane, causes an eruption resembling measles attended with irritation and tingling. Medicine: The balsam is stimulant, diuretic, carminative and laxative; in large doses it is purgative, causing nausea, vomiting strangury, bloody urine, and fever. A good remedy for chronic catarrh and bronchitis, as it assists expectoration and is antiseptic; given with advantage in leucorrhoea, chronic cystitis, diarrhoea, and hemorrhoids. It is chiefly used in gonorrhea (though not advocated for chronic cases), often combined with other substances. It has also been recommended externally for chilblains. It is considered a valuable hydragogue diuretic in obstinate dropsy. The resin, not the oleoresin, is used as diuretic. This species is a folk remedy for dermatosis, eczema, and gonorrhea. In Panama, Yaviza negros mix cabismo resi with honey and give it to the newborns, to impart knowledge and ward off hexes. The gum is also used for treating venereal diseases and for massage. Other products: From the wood polyalthic acid; (-)-jkaur-16-en 19-oic acid, (-) 16 betakauren- 19-oic acid and eperu-8(20)-en-15,18-dioic acid diterpenoids have been isolated. An extremely potent antitumour neo-clerodane diterpene, (-)-kolavenol, has been isolated from the oleoresin of C. langsdorfii. (-)-Kolavenol exhibited activity against IMC carcinoma as determined from the increase in lifespan of treated mice.

<A name=Pests>Pests and diseases

A lepidopterous pest of C. langsdorfii in Brazil was provisionally identified as a species of Stenoma near S. assignata.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

Bibliography

Crestana C de SM and Kageyama PY. 1989. Pollination biology of oleo-de-copaiba (Copaifera langsdorfii). Revista do Instituto Florestal. 1(1): 201-214.

Hong TD, Linington S, Ellis RH. 1996. Seed storage behaviour: a compendium. Handbooks for Genebanks: No. 4. IPGRI.

Langenheim J.H. 1981. Terpenoids in the Leguminosae. In: R.M. Pollhill and P.H. Raven (eds.), Advances in legume systematics. 2 vols. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 627-655.

Macedo CA and Langenheim JH. 1989. Intra- and interplant sesquiterpene variability in Copaifera langsdorfii: relation to microlepidopteran herbivory. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology. 17(7-8): 551-557.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Will try to look for the portuguese stuff about the tree that the

Brazilian agriculture department has given out.

For me that's kind of useless sinc I can not read that language

and don't know if the info is useful or not

EDIT:

Anyone with hemorroids here? The oleorisin is quite useful for fighting those :-)

Edited by c64

Everything I read leaves me wondering if it'll do much good in Thailand at all - maybe down South and near the coasts, but inland and up North / North East, doesn't look like it'll do well at all.

Shall not say against you. Have been looking on 3w allmetsat com on the weather pattern across thailand. It is not suitable outside the places you mention. Most suitable seems to be south and towards Burma.

It is mentioned that the tree is found from Argentina in the South to Venezuela in the north. Northern Argentina have some cold periods also but the tree is still there.

Prachinburi seems to be the most northern point the tree will really thrive.

If somebody jumps on this project, I'd really want to visit and learn more about it :)

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Reckon this tree might fit in alongside oil palm in the region 10 deg of latitude N & S where there should be enough rainfall but it will be difficult further N or S; in Thailand that's south of the Kra Isthmus & the southern extremity of Burma. At that size and yield I would bet it will need 2-metres of rainfall a year.

Alternatively, for further north, there is Jatropha/Sabudaam which is not too demanding and is recorded to give a fair yield, given the climate. It's not what gives the highest yield; it's what gives the best return on your soil, climate, work-input that counts. Oill palm is high work input and happen this tree might be, too.

I'm told by another member (hattip: IsaanAussie) that Sabudaam is difficult to gather easily/cheaply.

I have read, though, that it needs no processing before going into the tank(?)

Biodiesel is interesting but there always seems to be a problem somewhere. I'm still looking.

Other opinions welcome.

Euca.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Tree is called a Yang-Na tree in Thailand (Dipterocarpus alatus) I have 3 in my yard and the biggest is about 1.5m wide at the base and has 1000s of seeds every year. We are actually growing the seeds right now. The seeds germinate well in shady/moist areas and areas where there are wet leaves and good compost . They won't germinate well in the sun and if the seed is completely covered with dirt. We have around 50 seeds just starting to germinate and some are already tiny trees. If anyone wants more info message me. I've attached some pictures.

post-50420-0-18380900-1303550241_thumb.j

post-50420-0-62496500-1303550266_thumb.j

post-50420-0-62232400-1303550283_thumb.j

post-50420-0-10212600-1303550339_thumb.j

post-50420-0-85271200-1303550356_thumb.j