Spear Fishing

womble

• 4 months later...
There's small group of expats who spear here, wondering who else enjoys a little underwater hunting.

I have all my spearfishing equipment, I use a 3 sling JBL. I am new to spearfishing and have only gone on about 8 trips. I freedive from the beaches, I go out to the rocks a few hundred yards away from the beach.

I cant hold my breath for very long yet, and I have difficulty going much deeper than around 12 meters(sinus problems). The only thing to go after (where I go) are the rainbow parrot fish (which taste amazing). But it's a lot of fun... and I am still getting used to all of it. Oh yea, I caught a 5lb octopus the other day... and yes, everything I catch gets eaten.

I got some shit from a group of scuba divemasters yesterday after I came back from the water, they were on the beach. They asked me with attitude what I caught, and i told them 'your momma'... no not really. I find it hard to believe they have never fished before. Spearfishing is selective fishing, which is better than ripping a hook out of the stomach of a fish you didnt want to catch. I'll keep doing what I want to do as long as its legal here in thailand.

I went on a boat trip out to the islands a year ago. I didn't see anything I there that I didnt see 200 yards away from paradise beach. Anyone have a better experience than me?

Anyways, it would be good to find a fellow spearfisherman that could teach me a few things. I live in Phuket. I am 26, American, and a combat experienced ex-Marine, so you can rest assured I know about gun safety (which worries me the most about going out with someone else).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm a brit who's done a bit of spearing in OZ and Thailand. I am off to Koh tao on 20th of may for 3 weeks. If anyone fancy's doing some spearing get in touch. I've speared there before and it's been ok. Local fisherman takes me out. Also som good spots of the rocks. Various fish. Could share the cost of a boat, not that its much, local fisherman are fair about how much they want.

Cheers

Dave

I meant to say Koh Kood!!! LOL not Koh Tao!! anyone fancy it just message me.

Dave.

• 5 months later...

Hey, I know it's an old thread, but i'm looking for some spearos in phuket. If you've got a boat even better! I've been spearing for about 15 years mainly around Sydney but have yet to get my Phuket wings. I'm getting one of my guns sent over in about a week so will be super keen to get in the water and see whats out there. I haven't seen any boat operators who have guns and take people out either so could be a decent business idea if anyone is keen to get it going?

Cheers,

Dave