Wireless At Home

tuky

We have just moved into a new home, and I have taken Ipstar with me ( :o )

My office is downstairs where my desktop pc and the satelite modem are.

What I want to do is be able to do is roam the house and outdoors with my laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding equipment, costs and distance that I can roam from the modem?

How do I set this up? etc.

Cheers all.

Have been using Linksys for a few years now: BEFW11S4 (old now)

Distance depends on the location (where you put the Wireless Gateway), size of the wall ., antenna (if you want to change it) ...

With mine, 2 walls and the signal is lost.

Linksys is the best solution on my opinion - I mean value for money. service is ok, the Cisco bought them with reason - so use Linksys any product with strong encryption, don't forget to upgrade firmware and change antenna to something bigger, that should be enough.

btw, the frequency is very high so keep in mind it too.

regards

Make the change when you go to adsl.

I have a D-Link DSL G604T which connects to adsl and also gives me cable LAN for 4 pc, and wireless for a few more.

Make sure you get one that supports 11g, not the older 11b.

You will need to set up the security to prevent your neighbours sharing the same internet link. :o

Come round and check it out when I get back from RSA.

Recommend four items: A small switch, into which you plug your new Linksys WAP54G which is then connected to an antenna (http://bangkokwireless.net/odantenna.html) Also buy a snall unit that allows you to use the electrical circuit of your house as a network (also available from Linksys) and you are set. With the proper antenna and WEP enabled you should have a nice network that reaches out up to 300 meters from the house and give adequate coverage withing the house, if not then you can always place a small additional antenna repeater/amplifier unit near where you usually work within the hosue. Good luck and keep us posted. Send me a PM and I will email you a diagram of our little village network.

im using SMC2804WBRP-G with print server, the print sever doesn't work well no update firmware, only work with certain printer, in my opinion the print server are shiitty, but oh well! i already bought it. other than that the wireless router work great, i test it out, i can pick up the signal for 2 block.

SMC2804WBRP-G with print server

Working ok now then chingy :o

Knowing the outlay of the house's utilities can help you alot. My neighbour had a wireless network set up but couldn't get a good signal whenever he went upstairs. After a few expensive "fixes" (new wireless pc card, and router) we figured out that he had the router placed so that there was a bunch of copper plumbing running through the floor above where the router was placed. The copper was absorbing alot of his signal, hence all the dropoffs upstairs.

20ft of phone cable ($12.99) solved the problem. Once the router was away from all the pipes there was nothing but the wooden frame to absorb the signal, and he had great service since then.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

Mouse,

In Thailand you're only allowed wireless links INDOOR :D

Outdoor usage is not allowed, as is the use of amplifiers and hi gain antenna's :D

This said, I've no idea who is going to check on that stuff ....

I have a couple of systems up and running which would be highly illegal :o

One of them a 7km point to point link...

Tuky,

I don't think you can't do anything wrong with accespoint from any of the welknown names (D-Link, Linksys,...) Just try to get the AP and all the cards from the same brand. It's all supposed to follow stringent standards, but often different brands don't link up always perfectly.

I use a linksys wireless - 802.11g broadband router with 2 phone ports for voip. If you sign up for vonage, you can get a U.S. phone number so that when people call you, it is just a local phone call for them, although I myself don't use the voip, so I cant attest to this function.

The model # is WRT54GP2.

Mouse,

In Thailand you're only allowed wireless links INDOOR tongue.gif

Outdoor usage is not allowed, as is the use of amplifiers and hi gain antenna's smile.gif

This said, I've no idea who is going to check on that stuff ....

I have a couple of systems up and running which would be highly illegal blink.gif

One of them a 7km point to point link...

Actually if they are approved for use in Thailand and have the official Thai government stamp, as does all my equipment, then the limitations of the equipment have already been considered prior to registration and it is legal. If it is equipment that has been imported by you or me and does not have the government stamp on it, then it is questionable as to the legality for use in Thailand. But, as you said............ At least so I have been informed numerous times by http://bangkokwireless.net/
I use a linksys wireless - 802.11g broadband router with 2 phone ports for voip. If you sign up for vonage, you can get a U.S. phone number so that when people call you, it is just a local phone call for them, although I myself don't use the voip, so I cant attest to this function.

The model # is WRT54GP2.

Does that work with ipStar? Cause I thought of adding the Linksys RT31P2 and finally installing VOIP through Vonage.

Actually if they are approved for use in Thailand and have the official Thai government stamp, as does all my equipment, then the limitations of the equipment have already been considered prior to registration and it is legal.http://bangkokwireless.net/

Does that work with ipStar?  Cause I thought of adding the Linksys RT31P2 and finally installing VOIP through Vonage.

No gov stamp on my router, bought from a reutable dealer in Thailand and with a D-Link Thailand guarantee.

I know what you mean for other radio equipment, but all the routers and wireless cards sold here..........

I doubt it?

I believe the Ipstar has a normal LAN signal out so it can be fed to any switch and/or wireless node.

Got a government stamp on my access points, but not on the wireless pc cards.

Mouse, the government stamp indeed indicates the equipment is checked and approved for use in Thailand. However even the slightest modification like replacing the antenna by a high gain version (as freely available at Bangkokwireless) renders the aproval stamp void as you increase radiated power!

You can indeed hook up any router, wired or wireless, to the IPSTAR box.

I'm not sure however about the quality of VOIP. My guess is that the high latency (delays) inherrent to satellite systems will not do any good to the quality.