Registration Advice

beammeup

I am thinking of buying a bike in Esan from a dealer up there. He says the bike was imported from Japan and I will need to apply for a new Green book. Will cost 80k for the book. Is this legit? What docs will I need for the registration process? How do I know if they have payed the import duties and taxes. Has anyone done this before?

If he wont perform the service himself then be wary..

IF it was properly imported.. And IF all the taxes were paid.. And IF he has the correct licenses processed at import time then it should be possible at about 80k.. If any one bit is missing it ranges from impossible to highly expensive.

Buy a booked one.

If he wont perform the service himself then be wary..

IF it was properly imported.. And IF all the taxes were paid.. And IF he has the correct licenses processed at import time then it should be possible at about 80k.. If any one bit is missing it ranges from impossible to highly expensive.

Buy a booked one.

LivinLOS;

I just found out that I have (I think) a "copy book". I bought the bike off a dealer in BKK on "bahtsold.com", then went thru 3 months of hel_l before I finally go a tag/sticker/greenbook. Now I find the frame number does not match the one in the book.

The advise I have been given so far is to 1. take off the lic. plate and sticker and don';t show the green book. Even the insurance certificate had the wrong frame number. Then drive with a copy of the invoice, but all I have is the copies from the Japan exporter showing my bikes VIN #, and a receipt for the 30K deposit and the balance due, but the top is typed "Sales Contract. Very informal looking document.

2. another person suggested that I have the number on the bike removed and one put on that matches the greenbook. cost over 10K.

Can you point me in the right direction ? I do not have the money to register it properly. Any advise would surely be appreciated.

xlineshooter

Edited by xlineshooter

Hey guys,

I am currently going through the same process,I bought a Harley last October,then had to wait until I got the 80,000 baht together to get the book/plate.

I went back to the fella I bought it from and he said here's the company I go through why don't you just go there an deal with them directly.Which is what I did.

When I was there they seemed surprised that I had the full amount,turns out I could have paid 50% and paid the remainder on collection of the book/plate.I ended up paying them 50,000 baht and will pay the remainder when I collect them.This pissed me off a little because I could have started the whole process months earlier and I would have them by now...oh well. I think he said it would take a few weeks before it has to be brought in for the emissions test(?)I've been waiting a little over a month now I'm going to call them tomorrow and get an update, I expect things not to go as smoothly and things have probably been delayed because of Songkhran and the riots , extended holidays etc.

My advice to beammeup is to check around with other riders who have dealt with this dealer before and find out if he is above board, if you have a friend who can speak thai have them check out the hd-playground site that has forums I sure he'd have been mentioned on there good or bad who knows!

xlineshooter I'm sorry I don't know livin los should be the man with the info there,but I guess it depends on the amount you've spent on the bike already. I personally wouldn't <deleted> with the frame/engine no., why not ask the dealer what's he playing at?Again I'm no expert.

It does seem that the clampdown on unregistered bikes has subsided, I guess the BIB have more important to deal with. I may even risk going to one of the bike weeks ,what do you all think? Is it safe to ride with just invoices papers and receipt for the book/plate?

Hey guys,

I am currently going through the same process,I bought a Harley last October,then had to wait until I got the 80,000 baht together to get the book/plate.

I went back to the fella I bought it from and he said here's the company I go through why don't you just go there an deal with them directly.Which is what I did.

When I was there they seemed surprised that I had the full amount,turns out I could have paid 50% and paid the remainder on collection of the book/plate.I ended up paying them 50,000 baht and will pay the remainder when I collect them.This pissed me off a little because I could have started the whole process months earlier and I would have them by now...oh well. I think he said it would take a few weeks before it has to be brought in for the emissions test(?)I've been waiting a little over a month now I'm going to call them tomorrow and get an update, I expect things not to go as smoothly and things have probably been delayed because of Songkhran and the riots , extended holidays etc.

My advice to beammeup is to check around with other riders who have dealt with this dealer before and find out if he is above board, if you have a friend who can speak thai have them check out the hd-playground site that has forums I sure he'd have been mentioned on there good or bad who knows!

xlineshooter I'm sorry I don't know livin los should be the man with the info there,but I guess it depends on the amount you've spent on the bike already. I personally wouldn't <deleted> with the frame/engine no., why not ask the dealer what's he playing at?Again I'm no expert.

It does seem that the clampdown on unregistered bikes has subsided, I guess the BIB have more important to deal with. I may even risk going to one of the bike weeks ,what do you all think? Is it safe to ride with just invoices papers and receipt for the book/plate?

Hi FB - long time no see (since Saraburi..) I can't speak for the other gents, but my area (Rangsit and Patthuthani) still having bikes checked for the full deal (Plates, reg / book..etc..) not as heavy as a few weeks back - but still happening...be safe! (PS: Coming to BKK Bike Fest - would be great to catch up!)

Chris

i've no idea if this will work or not, but i've heard its cheap and easy to get registration docs in Cambodia. if you took it over there, registered it there then brought it back, and re-reg in Thailand, would that work?

Cambo reg has no influence on Thai reg..

You can keep visa running the bike if you like..

Thanks for the replies guys, I think they are legit although I have never heard of them before but they advertise on the HD playground. All is in Thai though. How will I know if all the taxes have been payed? Is there a specific document I should ask for? I really like this bike.

Beammeup,

Don't be surprised if they say they'll give you the invoice papers a few weeks after you hand over the money!!!!!!

That's what happened with me, I had a good thai friend who spoke with the seller and he was assured by him that that was normal. The seller said that I should hold onto 50,000 baht and pay the balance when I went to collect the invoice papers.

It was a huge risk but if I didn't do it that way I'd have never gotten the bike. It actually took 2 weeks and there was no problems.

Now,when I went to the company that deals with the process of registration they wanted to see both my passport and work permit and I had to provide 2 copies of each page.

If you don't have a work permit I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. This is the way I'm going about it.I'm having to learn as I go along .I hope that it can help others on here.

I will call the company tomorrow for an update,couldn't find the number today!

If it all works out ok with them then I could let other people on here know who they are and maybe they can use them also,perhaps cutting out the middle man( dodgy dealers). But I'd rather get the book/plate on my bike first that way I know they're reputable.

Gerry aka F.B.