Medical Insurance For Visa Application

zzSleepyJohn

I normally live in Thailand with my Thai wife, but we plan to visit UK and Norway this summer so my Thai wife needs visas.

On previous visits we've never bothered with insurance, and no-one has ever asked, but now it seems the embassies are tightening up and need to see a certificate of medical cover before they'll issue a visa.

Anyone know if this is just smoke and mirrors, or has insurance now really become mandatory?

My wife does have long-standing life and medical insurance with Thai Life, but we're not getting much joy out of them when we ask them for a piece of paper certifying intenational cover that we can present to the embassies. They did mutter something about "if you show us your ticket and visa, we can provide the international cover for a limited period". But that's a classical chicken and egg scenario! Which comes first, the visa or the insurance? :o

Anyone got experience of obtaining insurance in Thailand to meet requirements for visa applications? My wife would need this cover for about 6 weeks. Can this be easily purchased over the counter in Bangkok (we're unfamiliar because we're living in Chiangrai), and if so how much is minimum cover likely to cost?

I normally live in Thailand with my Thai wife, but we plan to visit UK and Norway this summer so my Thai wife needs visas.

On previous visits we've never bothered with insurance, and no-one has ever asked, but now it seems the embassies are tightening up and need to see a certificate of medical cover before they'll issue a visa.

Anyone know if this is just smoke and mirrors, or has insurance now really become mandatory?

My wife does have long-standing life and medical insurance with Thai Life, but we're not getting much joy out of them when we ask them for a piece of paper certifying intenational cover that we can present to the embassies. They did mutter something about "if you show us your ticket and visa, we can provide the international cover for a limited period". But that's a classical chicken and egg scenario! Which comes first, the visa or the insurance? :o

Anyone got experience of obtaining insurance in Thailand to meet requirements for visa applications? My wife would need this cover for about 6 weeks. Can this be easily purchased over the counter in Bangkok (we're unfamiliar because we're living in Chiangrai), and if so how much is minimum cover likely to cost?

Although Thai Visa Insurance has sorted this out for your partner, for the benefit of others, a minimum of 2m Baht of Health insurance is require for visitors to Europe.

Thai Visa Insurance can supply this 'Visa' insurance very easily and quickly.

Business Definition for: Travel Insurance

* a form of insurance coverage that provides medical cover while abroad as well as covering the policyholder's possessions and money while traveling. Many travel insurance policies also reimburse the policyholder if a holiday has to be canceled and pay compensation for delayed journeys.

dictionary.bnet.com/definition/travel+insurance.html

Edited by lopburi3

Dutch embassy doesn’t require medical coverage but will require a guarantee letter from husband for any medical expense during the holiday.

When my wife and I went on holiday I always wrote this letter and it was enough for the embassy but they advise a medical insurance.

Dutch embassy doesn't require medical coverage but will require a guarantee letter from husband for any medical expense during the holiday.

When my wife and I went on holiday I always wrote this letter and it was enough for the embassy but they advise a medical insurance.

Whilst I do not doubt your experience, prospective applicants need to be aware of this direct quote from The Dutch Embassy in Bangkok:

In case of approval the applicants should submit the following document on collection:

• The original travel/health insurance policy, valid for the Schengen area with a minimum coverage of 1,500,000 Baht (or 30.000 Euro) for medical expenses, including repatriation, and valid for the intended period of stay.

Things may have changed since your applications but at least they are not asking for proof with the application.