Pattaya Passed Up For Repeat Asean Performance

Jingthing

Apparently the Pattaya mayor personally begged Abhisit to hold the summit again in Pattaya. He didn't. He picked Phuket. Abhisit was right. Pattaya has a lot of the BLAME for the entire fiasco. Where were they when Abhisit was attacked a few days before the summit? Where were they when big trucks of red shirt thugs screaming like drunken football fans approached Thappraya Road from Thepprasit and were ALLOWED to proceed, even after their had been violent incidents.

Pattaya is becoming a world class beach resort city. But it is not yet ready for prime time.

Hint: try getting REAL taxi meters first!

Who exactly do you mean by "they"? I thought Abhisit had organised the security himself or at least his team had done it. Is national security now also the sole responsibility of the city council. It's not like the red shirts snuck up on them was it? The government had plenty of opportunity to install international standards of personal security for the summit but it served their purpose not to. Okay, no problem with that it is after all their agenda but it's a bit unfair blaming Pattaya council.

A bit unfair JT but the decision was inevitable anyway for no other reason than the confidence of the delegates from the other nations.

It was absurd to even ASK Abhisit to do the conference again in Pattaya after what happened here. If he had done so, people would have correctly assumed that Mark had lost the plot. Once burned ... Pattaya officials, GET SERIOUS about corruption here, like I said, the taxi cab system would be a good EASY start. And yet we know they won't do a thing about it.

We all know about the mayor's family, like the longterm of daddy following some local problems, his brother being a Taksin favorite and banned from politics, the sister and her efforts.

So yes, jingthing is right about the loyalties of the mayor. The young man was apparently the only one in the family without a record.

Abbisith was stupid to go for pattaya, but then, maybe, our dear chinese leader desperately wanted to get to the LB bars on walking street. What could Abisith possibly do in such a case? We all know about Pattaya's international image as a five star destination for ..... :o

I'm getting a bit tired of Jingthing always wanting to spin things in a political way and stirring shit. Don't you get tired of it yourself?

The MAYOR of Pattaya begged the PRIME MINISTER of Thailand. That's politics. What would you call it?

Apparently the Pattaya mayor personally begged Abhisit to hold the summit again in Pattaya. He didn't. He picked Phuket.

So there IS a god in heaven after all! No more senseless one-way traffic systems and endless rot tit problems. I'm neither a yellow shirt nor a red shirt supporter, but I sincerely thank the red shirts in this case for ridding Pattaya of these self-indulgent Asean poseurs.

Apparently the Pattaya mayor personally begged Abhisit to hold the summit again in Pattaya. He didn't. He picked Phuket.

So there IS a god in heaven after all! No more senseless one-way traffic systems and endless rot tit problems. I'm neither a yellow shirt nor a red shirt supporter, but I sincerely thank the red shirts in this case for ridding Pattaya of these self-indulgent Asean poseurs.

Here...here...my thoughts exactly! Let Phuket have all the security, traffic, and crowd problems....and let us Pattayans get on with enjoying the important things in life like beer, women (or men for some), and song (karoake for Thais) :o

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

When they held it in Hua Hin the road crews did an outstanding job of planting and pruning all along the road and repaving a few rough patches. It looked very impressive when it was done. No problems whatsoever as the BIB kept out the riff raff.

It went without a hitch and was a real feather in Hua HIns cap.

Hopefully it will go as smoothly in Phuket.

I could be wrong but I thought Pattaya hosting that failed summit was an accidental choice due to first choice Phuket being full in lead up to Songkran. So if the first choice had always been Phuket, why did mayor even bother to "beg" to host the second summit having failed MISERABLY on the first attempt? This is the real deal: it's an international summit involving PMs, Ministers etc and Mr Mayor forgets there is hardly a second chance when you fail in this league. It is not some church fete, which is about all Pattaya can organise and oh yes, we can also manage the proverbial <deleted> in the non-existent brothel very well :o

In my opinion (which matters little since I can't vote) the mayor sometimes suffers from delusions of grandeur and becomes blinded by it. Pattaya is not the "international world class beach resort" that the local PR machinery would like us all to believe. In the newspapers and TV news coverage of the cancellation of the summit, if an adjective was used for Pattaya, it was usually SEEDY. Surprise, shock, horror!

And why does Pattaya need to hold the conferernce anyway (are we becoming a MICE center, to use the lingo)? I thought we wanted families, high end tourist bla bla....now it APPEARS we want to cover the MICE market as well? It's so unfocussed that it actually sounds desperate and amateurish. And I suspect this lack of focus results in Pattaya's reputation being firmly entrenched in the SEEDY end of the spectrum. I got no issues with such a reputation, as that is the reality, but it irks me when people refuse to ACKNOWLEDGE this reality and proceed to make up stories about our "wonderful beaches", "infrastructure" and "high end shops and dining" etc to sell Pattaya!

I got to say that this is very disappointing to hear - I wonder if there is any chance they will give Pattaya another go - because the guys who were doing the road markings still have a few roads that need new white lines on them. :o

Who exactly do you mean by "they"? I thought Abhisit had organised the security himself or at least his team had done it. Is national security now also the sole responsibility of the city council. It's not like the red shirts snuck up on them was it? The government had plenty of opportunity to install international standards of personal security for the summit but it served their purpose not to. Okay, no problem with that it is after all their agenda but it's a bit unfair blaming Pattaya council.

A bit unfair JT but the decision was inevitable anyway for no other reason than the confidence of the delegates from the other nations.

That is what I thought also. He personally was seeing to the security. I wonder how many heads of state will actually attend Phuket maybe safer to send the lackie.

I could be wrong but I thought Pattaya hosting that failed summit was an accidental choice due to first choice Phuket being full in lead up to Songkran. So if the first choice had always been Phuket, why did mayor even bother to "beg" to host the second summit having failed MISERABLY on the first attempt? This is the real deal: it's an international summit involving PMs, Ministers etc and Mr Mayor forgets there is hardly a second chance when you fail in this league. It is not some church fete, which is about all Pattaya can organise and oh yes, we can also manage the proverbial <deleted> in the non-existent brothel very well :o

In my opinion (which matters little since I can't vote) the mayor sometimes suffers from delusions of grandeur and becomes blinded by it. Pattaya is not the "international world class beach resort" that the local PR machinery would like us all to believe. In the newspapers and TV news coverage of the cancellation of the summit, if an adjective was used for Pattaya, it was usually SEEDY. Surprise, shock, horror!

And why does Pattaya need to hold the conferernce anyway (are we becoming a MICE center, to use the lingo)? I thought we wanted families, high end tourist bla bla....now it APPEARS we want to cover the MICE market as well? It's so unfocussed that it actually sounds desperate and amateurish. And I suspect this lack of focus results in Pattaya's reputation being firmly entrenched in the SEEDY end of the spectrum. I got no issues with such a reputation, as that is the reality, but it irks me when people refuse to ACKNOWLEDGE this reality and proceed to make up stories about our "wonderful beaches", "infrastructure" and "high end shops and dining" etc to sell Pattaya!

yes I think Pattaya should stick to what it knows best. Besides the P.M's aren't after the sex scene so why hold it in a dirty city like Pattaya Thailand should be holding it somewhere respectful. I saw the cartoon of all the Prime Ministers sitting around the conference table during the meeting each with thier pants down and each with a pattaya lady on her knees. Quite funny but pls mister Mayor don't give the world more reason to laugh at Pattaya