Phone Home

BOOKEMDANO

Need to make a call to England "landline" expecting it to be quite a lengthy call hence my reason to find the most inexpensive way to call. Anybody recommend a tried and tested method ?

Thanks

:o

I actually think some of the Mobile services here can work out extremely cheap. Just pop into any of their shops, i.e. TRUE, 1-2-Call etc and see what the deals are.

Of course, if you have a PC both ends connected to the internet, then SKYPE or Yahoo chat is next to free for as long as you want.

If you have an online PC and they don't, then a service such as SKYPE OUT will let you call from PC to landline or mobile for a meagre fee.

Aitch

If you have an online PC and they don't, then a service such as SKYPE OUT will let you call from PC to landline or mobile for a meagre fee.

I concur with Skype Out- I bought ten euros of credit about 2 years ago, and still haven't used it up!

I concur with Skype Out- I bought ten euros of credit about 2 years ago, and still haven't used it up!

Guess phonecards are redundant now "not a bad thing" as there were always countless digits to enter, screw one up you have to start again !!

Whats the quality like when using Skype-Out ?

Guess phonecards are redundant now "not a bad thing" as there were always countless digits to enter, screw one up you have to start again !!

You can buy a Zay Hi card at Black Canyon on Nimmanhaeman or at the coffee bus in Meechok Plaza. I've also seen the Zay Hi sign on Thanon Moon Muang. 1 Baht per minute with Chiang Mai local access number. Will cost you 3.5 Baht to connect from your land line and then 1 Baht per minute from your calling card.

Although some TV members can use Skype out with success, others can't, including myself. The quality depends on the Internet connection.

There are a couple of threads in the Chiang Mai forum where all of this was recently discussed and debated.

To be honest, it can be a bit hit and miss :o Sometimes as clear as a bell, and others there may be echoes, delays, and a painful communication that might have to be postponed.

But like bino pointed out, that Sype Out credit can stretch a long way. I use it to call UK banks and the like from my PC. 95% of the time the connection has been fine, so the odds are on your side.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

You can buy a Zay Hi card at Black Canyon on Nimmanhaeman or at the coffee bus in Meechok Plaza. I've also seen the Zay Hi sign on Thanon Moon Muang. 1 Baht per minute with Chiang Mai local access number. Will cost you 3.5 Baht to connect from your land line and then 1 Baht per minute from your calling card.

Although some TV members can use Skype out with success, others can't, including myself. The quality depends on the Internet connection.

There are a couple of threads in the Chiang Mai forum where all of this was recently discussed and debated.

Excellent, i like those prices and i'm sure many other people wil find this information just as helpful. I just downloaded Skype and will make my first call and let you know how it went. Failing that, and the temperamental internet connection i sometimes get i think ZAY-HI would be an great back-up from my landline..And cheap too

Thanks everybody that made a contribution

:o

Actually I find the Zay Hi card terrible - every time I've used it there's been a horrible echo, and it seemed to be about 7+ baht a minute to the UK. When Skype is a no-go for whatever reason, I use a fantastic card called CAT, which is less than 2 baht per minute to the UK, and the line has always been as clear as a bell; Cornwall sounds like it's next door to Chiang Mai, and for a pittance.

It is only cheap when you are calling from a mobile/cell phone by the way! If you use a Thai land line the price goes up considerably (weird).

The only drawback is that it's less easy to find than others: the only sales locations I've found so far are Buddy Internet on Huay Kaew across from Central, and the strange little post office on Ratchadamnoen at Thapae Gate a few doors up from Black Canyon. At Buddy you can easily see them in the phone card display case; at the grumpy-staff-but-open-on-Sundays post office you have to point to the example one they have taped to a piece of stand-up plastic on the counter.

Totally skype

Agreed. While we're at it, if you want folks in the UK to call you other than on Skype, this premium rate number gives a fairly decent rate of 0.5p per minute to both landlines and mobiles.

0844 200 9898 + International Number (0.5p per min)

As far as I know it's only bettered by calling cards but they're a bit of a hassle

95% of the time the connection has been fine, so the odds are on your side.

Aitch

This is a pretty accurate percentage - I use 1 MB true connection, and about only one call in twenty is "bad" and can not communicate. Trying again an hour later will usually be better.