Mp3 Files Truncated

Digitalbanana

I have numerous mp3 files on a hard disc but notice some of the larger ones (maybe 10% of library) that may run 2hrs (radio rips of programs recorded via Internet streaming) have gotten truncated on the tail end to half and hour only (ie I've lost 75% of the file - the filesize is smaller as well). The remaining half hour plays fine, but anyone know what is casuing the loss of the tail end of the files? My security s/ware seems fine and no probs there? Is it a hard disc failure perhaps? Using Vista Home Pro.

Yes, that happens elsewhere, but in my case the files are recorded using full service software and the files recorded to full length, some several years ago and I recently noticed they were cut short and still play ok, but only the first part... . I still have back ups that work. I am now guessing it is some hard disk issue or maybe defragging... very odd indeed and annoying. My security software is up to date and working ok.

Maybe you want to check your files with this tool

MP3 Validator

Its open source software

Thanks for that link. I ran the program and it said: It seems that file is truncated or there is garbage at the end of the file

Well I knew that so then it said:File was rebuilt Done!

Unfortunately it just re-copied the same file in its truncated format. I should add I was expecting little more since the truncated files are and equivalent number of MB smaller is size so I guess the data has been lost....

Edited by Digitalbanana

Any recommendations for an audio CD to MP3 free download please.

Thank you

[/quote

google, nch software, the first site listed should be nch software download site.

open the home page and click on the option audio, download the express rip software.

another piece of software worth downloading is the switch audio file convertor.

i use both these products on a regular basis and have no problems, the audio file converter is particulary useful because it can decode/encode flac.

Also to possibly convert my itunes to an MP3 player format for my pick up CD / MP3 player.

I only get 20 tunes on a CD and want to download a lot more.

Not sure what you mean by the above, but anyway: For ripping from CDs, personally I wouldn't use anything but EAC. I rip to FLAC, then convert to MP3 if necessary, but EAC will also rip direct to MP3 using the LAME encoder. EAC has a lot of settings. If you're not comfortable with this, I'd suggest using MediaMonkey (make sure you replace the LAME DLL file in the MM directory with the current stable version from here). Whatever software you end up using, make sure it uses the LAME encoder and try and rip to at least V2 (VBR). Also, if you're using iTunes as a player, I'd ditch it and use MM instead. iTunes has a nasty habit of messing around with ID3 tags. Also, don't use iTunes to rip anything, it's rubbish.

Also to possibly convert my itunes to an MP3 player format for my pick up CD / MP3 player.

Not sure what you mean by the above, but anyway: For ripping from CDs, personally I wouldn't use anything but EAC. I rip to FLAC, then convert to MP3 if necessary, but EAC will also rip direct to MP3 using the LAME encoder. EAC has a lot of settings. If you're not comfortable with this, I'd suggest using MediaMonkey (make sure you replace the LAME DLL file in the MM directory with the current stable version from here). Whatever software you end up using, make sure it uses the LAME encoder and try and rip to at least V2 (VBR). Also, if you're using iTunes as a player, I'd ditch it and use MM instead. iTunes has a nasty habit of messing around with ID3 tags. Also, don't use iTunes to rip anything, it's rubbish.

Thanks for the info and advice MK.

Re. the reference for the pick up.

Instead of using my ipod as a direct route in the pick up ( don,t want to tempt anyone to steal it )

I want to rip / download my music to a CD with most of my tunes on it, which is possible if i can convert them to MP3 format.

Recently the ipod manager ??? said it wanted to upgrade my lists from my ipod and i declined as i didn,t want to risk loosing my personal downloads i,d put on it.

The next time i connected to itunes it did a download without my authority and i lost over 500 songs i,d put on over a couple of years.

Was i pissed of or what.

I tried to recover them but couldn,t.

I won,t ever trust them again and now delete any update info ect. without even opening it.

Never mind, experience is a useful thing and in my case compliments your observations.

It was a case of starting a new list which i will eventually save in a special folder.................just in case.

Thanks again

Edited by sheff_mick

^No worries mick. Glad to help. Like I said, try and rip/download to a decent quality (at least LAME V2 VBR or equivalent) and make sure all your ID3 tags are in order. This will save you headaches later. If the player in your pick-up can handle MP3, then just go ahead and burn the files to a CD. You can use something like Nero or Roxio. I'd strongly recommend ImgBurn (yes, it's free and widely considered to be the best burning software available), but this does mean building an ISO file (disk image) beforehand. ImgBurn will do this for you in a few seconds - just select 'build' mode.

As far as iTunes goes, just ditch it. Seriously. It sucks. Use MediaMonkey. It does everything iTunes does (and a whole lot more very useful stuff) and isn't like dealing with a psychotic child. If you feel you really must use i-Tunes, at least make sure the 'sync files manually' box is ticked, which should solve your file deletion problems. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Hiya MK

I,ve downloaded both IMG and MM.

Img appears to have downloaded successfully and i can open it from the D Top icon.

MM has also been downloaded but i cannot open the programme and all i get when i try is an enlarged image of the Logo and copyright written at the bottom.

It will not proceed from there and doesn,t respond further so i have to end the task via the task manager to close it ?

I managed to access the help facility but couldn,t locate a reference to this problem.

I,m tempted to uninstall and try again ????

^Check your PMs.

I,d like to place on record if I may, my appreciation and gratitude to MK for continuing to PM me several times over the last 48 hours.

His understanding and patience while leading me to a successful conclusion where outstanding to say the least.

Thanks again MK and many kudos are deservedly given by myself.

sheff mick

Edited by sheff_mick