Bringing Firearms(handguns&assault Rifles) Into Prateht Thai

LyceeIceCream

Actually while out shooting with the airsoft gun I met an Italian guy who did manage to get a permit for his 9mm. Apparently if you can prove that you handle a large amount of cash every day then you can get a permit. He has a Non-B and work permit if that makes a difference.

if you prove to an official that you handle a large amount of cash every day you will need a gun

Actually while out shooting with the airsoft gun I met an Italian guy who did manage to get a permit for his 9mm. Apparently if you can prove that you handle a large amount of cash every day then you can get a permit. He has a Non-B and work permit if that makes a difference.

if you prove to an official that you handle a large amount of cash every day you will need a gun

Could you say, you prefer to carry large amounts of cash on you because you do not have a bank account?? How can you prove it?

Could you say, you prefer to carry large amounts of cash on you because you do not have a bank account?? How can you prove it?

No, you must have a valid reason, such as working for a firm that handles large amounts of cash. You will also need to go to the police station in your area a few times to learn or prove that you are responsible with a firearm in front of a police officer. He will the sign off the documents that will get the ball rolling and within a month you should have approval. This seems to be easier to do in smaller towns than in the cities. You will also need to have a valid visa and work permit.

Airsoft guns are not illegal, they are just toys.

Proper air pistols and rifles are illegal though, without a license.

Farangs with permanent residency can own a firearm, therefore there is no reason to close the thread, is there Guesthouse? To propose that in the first place was stupid and rather sad anyway.

Hi madbj's

I suspect you do not know what an 'Airsoft' gun is capable of.

They can be as powerful (or more than) as an 'old fashioned' sprung Airgun. I asked the question earlier, because I suspect they fall into the same catagory as firearms, but don't know for sure. Do you have any evidence that this type of 'toy' is legal for Ferangs to own?

I would like to buy one, you see

Dave

I know there are some fellow firearms enthusiasts on this forum somewhere. Anyhow, I was wondering what the rules, regulations, stipulations and conditions are for a foreign citizen bringing legally owned firearms to the Kingdom of Thailand(Specifically KrungThep). Any and all information such as airlines rules and regulations(i.e. packaging, transporting, etc.), paper work or registration when arriving at suvarnabum, etc. on said topic would be much appreciated. :)peeaaccee

Oh no - another gun freak. Guns are for killing people, and you will never get a permit. If you like shooting, go to a range.

never going to happen.... forget about it now

I think you will find as a Farang you can not own guns in Thailand and thus can not import them.

Here we go again.

This must be a more common discussion than "How much sin-sod do I pay"?

They are not rules and regulations - they are laws.

And it is illegal for a foreigner to own a fire arm in Thailand

It is a law.

e2a - pardon?

Obviously not, More than one person has proved that foreigners can own firearms and do not have to be citizens E-Kwai! Know facts before you speak.

I have seen no PROOF , only statements, do not believe everything you read or hear.

Owning a firearm is quite different to having a license /permit for it , these are two different things.

They can be as powerful (or more than) as an 'old fashioned' sprung Airgun. I asked the question earlier, because I suspect they fall into the same catagory as firearms, but don't know for sure. Do you have any evidence that this type of 'toy' is legal for Ferangs to own?

Dave

I suspect you don't know what you are talking about :)

Airsoft guns fire at a rate of around 350 feet per second with a 0.2g BB. You can shoot people with them at short range and they wont penetrate the skin. Not really dangerous at all (if wearing goggles), hence they are a toy.

What you call "old fashioned spring airgun" (actually can be co2 as well) fire 1g metal pellets at over 600fps and even over 1000fps. They can have a muzzle energy of up to 25ft/lbs. If you shoot people with these types of gun, you could easily kill someone.

So actually, no, airsoft guns are not as powerful or even nearly as powerful or dangerous. They are available to buy at many shops in Thailand, even in big malls. There are also many playing fields around, where you run around shooting each other. No license is required, they are only toys.

I don't have any translated laws proving they are legal, but there likely aren't any. Do you have any evidence that farangs are allowed to own cars in Thailand, how about mobile phones? :D

Edited by madjbs

I think you would find this webpage that covers the registration of firearms interesting.

Definition

"Firearms" refers to all types of weapons employ explosions, gas pressure, and other kinds of mechanisms desired, from every or any part of the weapons to drive bullets, as deemed relevant by the Minister and specified in Ministerial regulations.

Source and info on the procedures for owning and registering a firearm. http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/weapon.htm

never going to happen.... forget about it now

I think you will find as a Farang you can not own guns in Thailand and thus can not import them.

Here we go again.

This must be a more common discussion than "How much sin-sod do I pay"?

They are not rules and regulations - they are laws.

And it is illegal for a foreigner to own a fire arm in Thailand

It is a law.

e2a - pardon?

Obviously not, More than one person has proved that foreigners can own firearms and do not have to be citizens E-Kwai! Know facts before you speak.

I have seen no PROOF , only statements, do not believe everything you read or hear.

Owning a firearm is quite different to having a license /permit for it , these are two different things.

I did not ask about owning or having a license/permit. so what's your point?

I know there are some fellow firearms enthusiasts on this forum somewhere. Anyhow, I was wondering what the rules, regulations, stipulations and conditions are for a foreign citizen bringing legally owned firearms to the Kingdom of Thailand(Specifically KrungThep). Any and all information such as airlines rules and regulations(i.e. packaging, transporting, etc.), paper work or registration when arriving at suvarnabum, etc. on said topic would be much appreciated. :)peeaaccee

Oh no - another gun freak. Guns are for killing people, and you will never get a permit. If you like shooting, go to a range.

I will never get a permit? Is that right? That is an opinion not a fact. Save opinions for when someone asks you for yours. Guns are tools. Only close minded individuals make statements like the one you did. Guess I should've started my reply with a "oh no, another know-it-all judging people and situations without fully understanding whats going on" haha.

Right - I have a firearm license (smoothbore & rifle - for wild boar), so let me share with you guys the reality of situation.

Permitts/licenses (whatever you want to call them) are issued and approved at a local level - not national or central level - and the authorising official is the local senior cop for the area/region in which you live. He/she (and there are a couple female regional top cops in Thailand) signs Yes or No on the dotted line.

Been an ex-pat is not an automatic bar to owning/using/carrying a firearm (keep the carrying in mind - its very relivant) - but where you live (area/region) does have a big impact on whether or not you will get approval.... and of course, the fact that you are a foreigner without doubt does not go un-noticed.

Rural folk (Thais and ex-pats) applying for a shotgun/smooth bore or rifle (for hunting purposes) generally do not have too much of a hassle - so long as you can demonstrate you have land to use it on (wheather thats your own land or someone giving you permission to use their land). If you're an expat on a tourist type visa - dont even bother.

If you are living here permantently and legally, and all paperwork is in order, and you have someone to say good word or 2 about you and the local senior copper is willing to sign off, then yuou could get your application approved. Helps a lot if you have lived in the area a long time, established and the locals think you;re a jolly good fellow.

Don't arrive today and apply tomorrow and expect to get approval - you won't.

If you live in an urban area such as Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya (and thats the only land you have access to), you are not going to get a hunting rifle license - period.

If you are gemstone dealer in Bkk and carry stones and/or lots of cash around with you on a regular basis, that is in theory a good call for a handgun license - and in particular, if you have been robbed of stones or cash in the course of your job in the past, you are going to get a more sympathetic hearing. I know one ex-pat gemstone/jewellery dealer in Bkk who has a hangun license and permitt to carry (in a public place).

What is significant here is the permitt to carry in public - a seperate permission over and above the license to have (the latter does not automatically give consent for the former - they are 2 seperate things).

That same guy applied for a rilfe license - and was turned down (because he lived in Bkk and could not demonstrate a need).

And I know one other ex-pat who lives here and "works with the Thai cops" (I'll leave it nice and vague) in a, how shall I put it - a intellgience capacity (no, he has no diplomatic or foreign cop status - he's a private individual like you and me) - and he has a handgun license and permitt to carry.

In short: it's very much about your circumstances and need (and of course having all your personal visa and work permitt, and if applicable, permanent res paperwork in order) - then the willingness of the local head copper to approve the application.

Not withstanding all this, if you are applying now, I can tell you that if you live in any urban area it has become niegh on impossible for Thai's, let alone ex-pats, to get ANY firearms license - over the last few years the attitude and tolerance towards applicants has all but evapourated. There has been growing public objection to handguns in built-up areas and the cops have agreed. I don't know the exact figures for 2008, but for the 2nd half of 2007 and first half of 2008, no more than literally a handful of licenses across the board were approved in Bkk.

Most long timers here will know - off-duty cops have habit of carrying their pieces with them, when they go shopping, go out - and even into bars when they go for a drink! (that little leather zipup carry case on the resturant table next to them - good chance its his gun!). Cops, as usual, are exempt from the rules applying to the rest of us.

Bringing guns into Thailand for sporting reasons (i.e. target shooting and hunting) is a different matter all together and considered/approved on a case by case basis.

What happens if you come out to Thailand with your gun - you arive here and want to reclaim it at the airport??? Haven't got a clue, but I'm pretty sure in the absense of some recognised sporting or hunting activity they ain't going to just hand it over to you and let you work out the airport with it - not least because of the C&E duties associated with importing guns - they're as complicated as brining cars into Thailand. I think it can be done on a temp basis with a Carnet type certificate issued in your home country, but check.

What happens when you phone up the local Thai consul or speak to your local beat copper (in Thailand) about ex-pats and firearms? You are almost certainly going to get a, "no no - cannot do" kind of answer. You can do, but its not straightforward and don't expect officials to be able to give you a straight answer - after all, its not as if ex-pat applications are something they deal with on a regular basis.

Tthe botom line: its down to the district copper who has the yes or no authority.

Guns are expensive in thailand partly because of the 40% import duty they attract, and given that alcohol, tobacco and cars are exempt from the scheme that lets some bring in their house hold goods tax free, firearms are likely to be exempt too. So self importation is not likely to save you much money compared to the hassle.

Thailand seems to be heading towards the type os licensing you see in europe, which means that if you are out in the sticks is going to be relatively easy to get a gun for hunting, pest control. whilst in the cities, if you don't have access to a properly designed shooting range you are likely to be seen as a danger to yourself as well as others (:

I and the better half are beginning the processes of sorting ourselves out for airgun target shooting in bangkok. If we get the licenses, we are likely to have have to import some of what we want and if this thread is still going I will update it anything relevant as go along.

To be completely honest I don't want to goto cambodia. It is a less civilized and completely unappleaing version of Thailand and beside potentiality to obtain I would not waste my time going there. :) Lonely people will argue about anything..

Less civilised?

Considering by your own admission you have never been to Cambodia I wonder how are you qualified to make that ridiculous pronouncement?

I find the Cambodian people more charming than Thais and I enjoy my sojourns across the border. Phnom Penh is a pleasant place and Angkor is more impressive than anything Thailand can offer.

Credit goes to the Cambodians who remain happy and friendly despite decades of war and extreme poverty.

Careful mate,

making personal observations like that u might get told to funk off home, or funk off to cambodia cos u lurve it soooo much.

personally, i think a bit of diversity keeps us all contentable.

cambodia moves me. thailand grooves me, europe nurtured me, america scares me, which means europe scares me more.(puppet and master)

scary parents and soothing adoptive lands....

im goin nowhere.

and if anything NEEDS pointing out, offer ur thoughts.

ef

ALSO - attention to detail allows us time to consider our thoughts before sharing them.

In the last century you can declare gun at airport and process the document. You can do it today but the you need approval from the Minister of Interior HIMSELF.

If you want specific model, just contact the shop to import that one for you, You can not select the piece but it is already the common practice for some makes like Les Baer, Kimber or centerfire rifle. You also have to hurry as the gun law limits the import quota for EACH shop license at 30 for hand gun and 50 for rifle or shotgun. A shop in BKK always has more than one license but if the quota is out, wait for the new year or contact other shop.

... why are these threads discussing something that is illegal left open?

Keywords - revenue :)

Illegal - whats illegal about it? It's a relivant question that has come upon the forum half dozen times or so over the last few years.

Like most laws in Thailand, what exactly it is and how exactly it is implemented is "cloudy". What is clear is that it is becoming harder and harder each year for anyone to get a firearm license, and I don;t think it'll be too long before the law is turned round and we all have to hand in our guns. First it will be the few who have handguns (and permitts to carry) in urban/built up areas. Then the rifle law will change and they too will have to be handed in. Farmers will be left with smooth bores (shotguns). Interstingly, black powder guns are still very popular (and tolerated - without licenses) in rural parts of the North and North East.

If you live down South on the Malaysian boader the law is applied very differently - licenses are a lot easier to get.

Proper air pistols and rifles are illegal though, without a license.

Farangs with permanent residency can own a firearm, therefore there is no reason to close the thread, is there Guesthouse? To propose that in the first place was stupid and rather sad anyway.

Hi madbj's

Dave

'Airsoft' gun, per manufacturing in Japan (mainly, with clones in China, but that is a side-topic) are done so to not go over 0.8J with a 0.20gr BB.

As you might know, that is a very low amount of force.

So no, they are not lethal weapons.

You can buy third-party parts and upgrade them to shoot harder, but even here it is hard to make them do anything above breaking skin without completely runing the guns...and since no-one will wanna play with you it is pointless. (And it would be much more expensive than buying a real gun.)

... why are these threads discussing something that is illegal left open?
Keywords - revenue :)
Illegal - whats illegal about it? It's a relivant question that has come upon the forum half dozen times or so over the last few years. Like most laws in Thailand, what exactly it is and how exactly it is implemented is "cloudy". What is clear is that it is becoming harder and harder each year for anyone to get a firearm license, and I don;t think it'll be too long before the law is turned round and we all have to hand in our guns. First it will be the few who have handguns (and permitts to carry) in urban/built up areas. Then the rifle law will change and they too will have to be handed in. Farmers will be left with smooth bores (shotguns). Interstingly, black powder guns are still very popular (and tolerated - without licenses) in rural parts of the North and North East. If you live down South on the Malaysian boader the law is applied very differently - licenses are a lot easier to get.

Sir,

For the present situation it's difficult to get gun because the price increase practically every month the fix import quota make it the auction price (1 shop license can import 30 hand gun and 50 long gun and they don't issue more shop license. In 2001 I bought Glock 19 for 40K now 100K, in 2003 Benelli M4 for 55K now 100K++ etc. After the Southern unrest the price sky has gone sky high.

However, all Thaksin regulations to control gun are expired now except the carry permit that require more process. Practically alomost impossible to get the nation wide one.

In fact, last Tuesday the carbinet just approved the amendment on gun law that limit magazine to 10 rounds, in few month the process should be finish and you can carry full cap mag comfortably. It is the best move concerning gun law in many decade

I have no worry for the meantime, The (Thai) Democrat voters are middle class who own guns. I also think it's impossible to recall Thai people asset. If we have to return thing, I think most will go underground, and the policy maker will have a very very bad look. Most big shots also have LOT of guns.

For BKK residents the licensing service is actually improved as the Department of Interior has been sued in the Administration Court on silly attitude when they first got the work from the Police. They request extra explanation if you want to buy the same caliber but it's not the big problem.

There is no big deal on hand gun here. Here they have different attitude. Even though the law put all gun in the same category they have most bias on Centerfire rifle and Big caliber instead

And now there are some special government quota programmes in addition to the shop quota for gov officers to buy cheaper gun. In the last few years they sold 40-50 thousand pieces. The gun bought in that programme can be inheritted only yet it holds the civilian market demand down. The latest programme will allow transfer the gun to non-office after 5 years and I heard the amount approved can be closed to 100 thousands. So, more supply is waiting after 5 years. Anyway, to transfer the gun the buyer has to go through the same process as buying a new one, just different form filling "I intend to buy from Mr.." instead of "from the shop in...province".

Except the price, I think the gun right prospect in the next few year is worsen.

Dave

Officially, nobody can import airsoft guns.

People do try and import disassembled airsoft guns from HK, but it is highly risky!!!!!!!

If you are caught in possession and it is not loaded, thats a very grey area, but most likely it will be confiscated

being caught with a loaded airsoft gun will get you in to trouble, and will cost you

Wait a minute, last week I purchased a high power (CO2 gas) airsoft gun that shoots small metal BB balls from an airsoft store and no-one mentioned to me that it is illegal or that I would need a permit for it. In fact during Songkran I took it with to the wifes village and the cops there were pretty impressed with it.

Sorry Dave you are wrong! I LEGALLY imported airsoft rifles (M16 copy & H & K MP5) from Taiwan last year. All that was required was an import permit (obtained by FEDEX on my behalf) a copy of my passport to verify my identity and payment of the relevent import duty (which was about 15000 baht from memory on airsoft guns that cost about $500 US so not cheap) The delivery cleared Customs within three weeks. Slight delay as I had returned to OZ for business throughout the process but when I returned it was finalised. Same deal with two Airsoft pistols that were shipped from Taiwan just prior to that. 800 baht imprt duty and that was it. All legal and above board and no problems because I was a farang. I would imagine genuine firearms would be a little harder, as some posters outlined, but nevertheless, not impossible.

The thing that tickles me about this posting is the the OP talks about bring assualt rifles into Thailand in his posting, and then says PEACE... :):D

:D I don't see anything in the OP about bringing "Assault Rifles" Did You?

LL

• 1 year later...

Hmmm...ok, so I will ask, since I do not know, and this thread did not fully answer the question.

I am going to retire in Thailand in 3 years, and I own a SS smithed Ruger .357, a Kimber .45 and a Benelli SuperNova. I had hoped there would be a way for me to bring these with me to Thailand, either by importing them directly with my personal belongings, or by importing them from a local firearms dealer after arriving in Thailand. None of these are for hunting, but the shotgun could be used to dispatch dangerous snakes or the like. Basically, the primary purpose is home defense, and yes, being American I feel pretty damned naked without them. I am an old Marine, and have had a permit to carry in many states in the US for quite some time. I have had to show the weapon exactly twice to stop situations. I have never had to fire the weapon in anger, but someone would have gotten VERY hurt in the two instances where it was needed, and they stopped the situation immediately. While we do not plan to live in the boonies, neither will we live in town, and will probably find or build a place on the outskirts of NNE Udon Thani.

So, realistically, what are my options? I have a clean criminal record, do not drink a lot (and never in excess), and am not known as a trouble-maker. Most people consider me fairly easy going and fair. Should I just sell the guns here and purchase when I get there (if I can)? (I particularly want the Benelli) Is it realistic to expect to be able to import the guns? Someone in the thread was talking about a Benelli (albeit a more expensive model) costing 100000 baht in Thailand. That is just crazy talk. I bought mine for under $500 US (~16000 baht).

Has anyone here actually gone through this process, or is all the knowledge espoused here basically hearsay? I would be very interested in any factual insight, even in PM if you are not comfortable discussing it openly. Thanks to any who take the time to give me the straight skinny...

Best Regards,

Unless you have friends or family in the right places the chance that you will be allowed to import and be licensed for these guns are virtually none.

I suspect your first step would be to get a PR...

As a non thai citizen you cannot own firearms or bring them into the country unless under special circumstances eg sporting events,security ( body guards ) military / police on missions all under special permits.

The thing here is you get through the red tape some how, you do import them in, the customs the tax and every other charge that they can put to that firearm you could most probably buy several here or it will get lost.

The other avenue would be approach a gun shop and get them to import for you which again it would not be worth it.

We have a police friend who has several gun shops and my wife has purchaced handguns in the past and as a foriegner he told me that I cannot apply for a license or import a firearm

As a non thai citizen you cannot own firearms or bring them into the country unless under special circumstances eg sporting events,security ( body guards ) military / police on missions all under special permits.

The thing here is you get through the red tape some how, you do import them in, the customs the tax and every other charge that they can put to that firearm you could most probably buy several here or it will get lost.

The other avenue would be approach a gun shop and get them to import for you which again it would not be worth it.

We have a police friend who has several gun shops and  my wife has purchaced handguns in the past and as a foriegner he told me that I cannot apply for a license or import a firearm

Thanks for the info...after reading most of the threads here about guns, I kind of thought this was the general case.

Are crossbows or bows legal? Heh, how about broadswords? ;) Yes, I also fenced and did exhibition broadsword.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Best Regards,