Just Pickled My Own Onions, Not Bad At All

i just made some pickled onions about 3 weeks ago using this recipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A655535

and the results are in:

not bad at all but maybe a bit spicy. that was my fault, i left the spices in the vinegar for about 1 hr vs. 5 mins as per the recipe. i used some malt vinegar but that was quite expensive so mostly some cheap red wine vinegar. i'm going to try some cheap Thai vinegar next and see what happens.

for the onions, i used the while soup onions from Tesco, 14bhat/bag. i pealed off the outer layers to get the size down to about 1.5" and used the excess for general cooking.

i'd say, besides the too spicy part, just as good as English pickles. will try agai.

oh yep, i know i'm supposed to wait at least a month, i have more jars made up to try later.

Keep on trying please!!!

Sometimes it takes a couple of testings to find the right recipe but at the end you'll get it.

I am using the cheap white Thai vinegar, good enough for me.

Let us know your final result.

Gerd

I want to pickle Mexican peppers.........specifically jalapeno peppers.

Yes, I can look it up on the internet, but I would prefer getting a "how to do it" from a person who knows that they are doing.

I understand that it can be dangerous to your health if not done right. Thanks in advance.

Keep on trying please!!!

Sometimes it takes a couple of testings to find the right recipe but at the end you'll get it.

I am using the cheap white Thai vinegar, good enough for me.

Let us know your final result.

Gerd

I want to pickle Mexican peppers.........specifically jalapeno peppers.

Yes, I can look it up on the internet, but I would prefer getting a "how to do it" from a person who knows that they are doing.

I understand that it can be dangerous to your health if not done right. Thanks in advance.

Yes we do pickled jalapenos and dill pickles. I am not sure if they are following the recipe but I will check tomorrow.

DILL PICKLES

Pickling cucumbers

Sugar

Dill heads

Mixed pickling spice

Garlic

Chili peppers

Salt

White vinegar

Layer cucumbers and dill heads in a qt. container. Add garlic and/or chili peppers.

For each quart of pickles, measure 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tsp. each pickling spice and salt and 3/4 cup vinegar, heat to boiling and pour over pickles.

Prepare more vinegar mixture if it does not cover cucumbers.

Cover and let stand 2 or 3 days in refrigerator.

Pickles may be kept in refrigerator for several weeks or canned.

To can; drain pickles, pack in clean jars with dill, garlic and peppers. Heat vinegar and pour over. Adjust lids. Process in a hot water bath for 30 minutes.

For Jalapenos leave out some of the spices or not.

Cool! I just started making my own pickles too! I use this recipe for spicy/dill refrigerator pickles.

I can't find dill heads, dill seeds, mustard seeds, canning jars or pickling spice where I live (surprised? I'm not :) ), so I do without. I replaced mustard seeds with mustard powder and make up my own pickling spice, which goes something like this:

For 1 recipe's worth:

2-4 bay leaves, torn into small pieces

2 tsp. coriander seeds

1-2 tsp. cracked peppercorns

1/4 tsp. mustard powder (e.g. Coleman's)

Dash of Cinnamon

Dash turmeric (for color)

I steep all these ingredients together for 5 - 10 minutes in hot water before using (use water & herbs, don't discard anything).

You could get far more complicated than this, but this simple recipe works well for me! Fortunately, the small cucumbers work great for pickles, although it's best to buy the youngest, greenest ones available. The unionized is readily available at fresh markets and used to salt fish. The missing canning jars aren't a big deal as you're making them in the fridge any way! I found BIT glass jars with decent plastic lids for about 100B each at a funky chinese-y shop. Finally, the vinegar. We used the cheap, white Thai stuff and it worked well but honestly, it seems a bit too tart for my tastes. Traditionally dill pickles in the US aren't made with wine or malt vinegar and I'm also hesitant due to the price! I might try using just a touch less vinegar next time.

Delicious, cold, crispy dill pickles straight out of your own fridge! Does it get any better??

i just made some pickled onions about 3 weeks ago using this recipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A655535

and the results are in:

not bad at all but maybe a bit spicy. that was my fault, i left the spices in the vinegar for about 1 hr vs. 5 mins as per the recipe. i used some malt vinegar but that was quite expensive so mostly some cheap red wine vinegar. i'm going to try some cheap Thai vinegar next and see what happens.

for the onions, i used the while soup onions from Tesco, 14bhat/bag. i pealed off the outer layers to get the size down to about 1.5" and used the excess for general cooking.

i'd say, besides the too spicy part, just as good as English pickles. will try agai.

oh yep, i know i'm supposed to wait at least a month, i have more jars made up to try later.

OK for the Brits who like the Haywards taste but don't want to pay Villa Market prices, Foodland sells jars of Howies pickle onions in a white vinegar and they are very bland, however buy a jar and drain about 20% of the white vinegar off and top up with Malt vinegar(Heinz or Sarsons) add about half a dozen black peppercorns and four whole cloves and leave for a week or two in the fridge, then taste the difference, one thing to look out for though is sometimes the Howies onions are a bit soft ,I like them crisp and crunchy so it can be a bit of a lottery, if you want to go further when the jar is empty buy some soup onions from foodland peel and put in the jar and if needed top up with the same ratio of white and malt vinegar and leave for 2 to 3 weeks.

just starting to do some canning and pickling.

Must use salt without iodin as it makes it cloudy, if you can find a product called pickel crisp it helps.

Really have to be carefull on the canning part depending on the acidity of the food item you also have to heat (boil)again when allready canned.

Will report some more.

I will also try to pickle watermelon rinds.

Can you buy the little onions anywhere in Bangkok? It seems a waste to start with big onions and cut them down as I don't use much onion at home.

The True Value hardware store in Bangkok has Mason style canning jars, I think they were around 65 baht each but I didn't look to see if they had extra lids for sale. I have been buying jam jars from a local shop that sells packaging for food stands, they have glass jam jars at 35 baht for 4.

Can you buy the little onions anywhere in Bangkok? It seems a waste to start with big onions and cut them down as I don't use much onion at home.

The True Value hardware store in Bangkok has Mason style canning jars, I think they were around 65 baht each but I didn't look to see if they had extra lids for sale. I have been buying jam jars from a local shop that sells packaging for food stands, they have glass jam jars at 35 baht for 4.

Why not try cutting the heads off of scallions? They are easily found in the markets. Inexpensive too.

• 2 weeks later...
inthemode,

Where did you find canning jars? Where they hideously expensive?

I'm in Phuket but I had to go to Bangkok and purchased three cases of differant sizes. Not sure the street name but they sell many plactic stuff for perfume as well.

I'll ask the wife.

inthemode,

I'm in Phuket but I had to go to Bangkok and purchased three cases of differant sizes. Not sure the street name but they sell many plactic stuff for perfume as well.

I'll ask the wife.

Did you ever try "Gerbera House" in Phuket Town? I am pretty sure they have these jars.

Gerd

inthemode,

I'll ask the wife.

Did you ever try "Gerbera House" in Phuket Town? I am pretty sure they have these jars.

Gerd

Gebera is good but the price for the jars is expensive

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I have found dill in the Kloeng Toei market, but not dill seed yet. At least my girlfriend has said that this is the thai translation of dill. I am trying to find pickling salt. Anyone know where i can find the salt in Bangkok? I cannot seem to clearly explain this.

I buy pickling onions from my local market when they are available . After peeling I put them in a clean and dry jar , add the 12bht per ltr Thai vinegar and the secret - A dash of Worcestershire sauce. Haywards must be kicking themselves I have spilt the beans.

Keep in the fridge for about 10 days and WOW.

If you like the spiceyness add the peppercorns or just as good a chili or 2 .

soundtek86, You don't need special pickling salt, just non-iodized stuff. They sell this salt to put on BBQ fish, as well as south of BKK at Samut Prakan in enormous bags.

Thank you. All I could find was Iodized or sea salt...and both were changing the colors.