Getting To Koh Lanta From Phuket On May 3rd

jgthaivisa

I got this message from the hotel I booked:

I am not sure if the passenger ferry from Phuket to Lanta will be running on 03 May as there is no fix date when they will stop for the high season. Some years they stop mid May while others end April. If the ferry is not running, you can take a shared minivan to Lanta, they will not drop you at our resort and you will have to call our hotline number below at the first car ferry to arrange for pick up.

WTH?? Are there not schedules for this kind of thing?

Also, what are the times/prices for minivans? Seems like a pretty long drive, I was expecting to take a ferry.

Jeff

It's about a 3 hours drive door-to-door. Not that much longer than taking the ferry + taxis each side. Lanta gets very very quiet from 1st May, many hotels/bars/restaurants close down. I guess that's why they stop the ferry (+ weather considerations).

Any tour desk can supply a minibus service. No idea of schedule or price.

Thanks Daffy, do you know about how much that costs?

(Couldn't download the graphic, seems to get stuck at about 10%? Can you PM it to me by any chance ?)

Edited by LivinginKata
email address removed, PM sustituted. Graphics enlarges for me Ok

Ops! Just noticed that my list does not show a direct connection from Phuket to Lanta :D

The connections shown are from Phuket to Phi Phi and Phi Phi to Lanta 450฿ and 350฿

If it's really important I can send (or ask politely) the wife down to the office in the morning and confirm times and prices and if still running in May.

:o

Double OOps! seems my info is a bit out of date - I really should get out more. :D

Update straight from the travel shop. Seems there is only one ferry per day to take you from Phuket to Lanta, and you have to change boats at Phi Phi. The boat leaves Phuket at 8.30am and you arrive Lanta about 12.45. the cost is about 1000Bt. (All very flexible typical Thai) :D

Don't know whether the boats will still be operating in May "depends on number of people" :o

Phone numbers for ferry:- 076 232 240 - 076 232 360 This is for Royal Ferries. I believe P.P. Family also operate the same routes so their times and prices may be different. Though I read on this forum that two of their boats burnt out while moored at Krabi so maybe they ain't operating anymore. :D

There is also a new minibus service that has started recently. They have a fleet of the new bigger Toyota Commuter that are very nice. They run about every hour from Phuket to Lanta starting at 7.30 with the last bus leaving at Phuket 2pm. The cost is 199Bt.

The minibus leaves from the "bus station" but not sure if this means main bus station or their own office, but depending on where you are they probably will pick you up. The company is Southern something or other - phone:- 081-9584347

post-35075-1240731138_thumb.jpg

:D

• 5 months later...

We will be arriving in Phuket on the 25th of october and would like to go to Koh Lanta on the 28th of october. Does anyone have any information if it will be possible to go by ferry or speedboat eventhough high season has not started then?

Thank you in advance and greetings frim Germany from a first time Thailand guest.

Pack only a small case or a light Backpack and rent a Motobike in Phuket, everything can do that journey also a small scooter 120 cc

and drive yourself.

Anyway in Koh Lanta you will need a Moto.

Just do not tell the renting company that you want to bring the Moto to Koh Lanta. The Police does not care!

Only the owners of the rented bikes fear to recover and bring back the bike after a problem or accident from other parts of Thailand.

Its fun, about 185 km until Krabi-Ao nang and than about 80 km onwards to Koh Lanta.

I did that trip ,ore than once, even drove down to satun in the south and shipped to Langkawi-Malaysia for a Visarun.

By the way Langkawi a wonderful, beautiful island.

Sorry to read that. If you not used to drive, thats no big thing, just try it, if you can drive a bicycle you can drive a scooter with automatic gear.

To learn changing of gears on a bigger bike follows than.

Regarding the big bags, I do not know, you stay in one of the fancy 4-5 Starhotels on the island and need to change dress every day?

If so, the transport will not be a problem, take a limousine if the Hotel does not provide such a service.

If not, try to pack same I wrote, leave the BIG cases at home and come nearly wth a Handbag, buy some T-shirt and shorts than on Koh Lanta,

just a bit, thats it.

You will feel how easy live can be without all that stuff and washing possibilitys for cloth are in Thailand on every corner.

Have a nice trip.

Are you calling me a troll? Why is that? :) Sorry if that question seems kinda trollish to you, but I am a first time Thailand traveller and just wanted to make sure how to get to Koh Lanta.

I do know the options via minibus, limo or maybe even scooter.

All I was asking is, if the ferrys or other boats will be already going to Koh Lanta on the 28th of october eventhough the high season hasn´t started yet.

PS.

sorry editing my above post didn't quite seem to have worked out correctly.

Edited by Argonaut30

Are you calling me a troll? Why is that? :) Sorry if that question seems kinda trollish to you, but I am a first time Thailand traveller and just wanted to make sure how to get to Koh Lanta.

I do know the options via minibus, limo or maybe even scooter.

All I was asking is, if the ferrys or other boats will be already going to Koh Lanta on the 28th of october eventhough the high season hasn´t started yet.

PS.

sorry editing my above post didn't quite seem to have worked out correctly.

You have booked your accommodation on Koh Lanta? You have communication with the hotel/resort? You haven't asked them the best way of getting there? Your original post mentioned 'May'. Maybe the question should be whether you should be trusted to travel outside your country???

Whatever mate. Didn't come here to argue with you.

Apologies. See that you're arriving on 28th(?). However, my comment still hold true. Booking a hotel/resort on an island, all of whom arrange transfers regardless of your arrival method, and then questioning the options for transfer seems at the least extraordinary. I have a small boat and get out regularly amongst the islands, and hence witness first hand the various travellers to the resorts. Again, the best source of information to getting to the island of your choice is more than likely to be the actual hotel/resort.

No mproblem.

Yeah, I was a bit naive and thougt that the ferrys would be travelling to Koh Lanta all year. :)

Just found out yesterday that it isn't so and started to panic. Didn't even tell my girlfreind yet. So I guess we will be taking a minibus to Krabi or Koh Lanta directly if possible.

I just thought, someone living in Phuket could tell me if the ferrys would be travelling early this year.

But thanks for the tip. I will be emailing the resort, for their advice.

Take care.

No mproblem.

Yeah, I was a bit naive and thougt that the ferrys would be travelling to Koh Lanta all year. :)

Just found out yesterday that it isn't so and started to panic. Didn't even tell my girlfreind yet. So I guess we will be taking a minibus to Krabi or Koh Lanta directly if possible.

I just thought, someone living in Phuket could tell me if the ferrys would be travelling early this year.

But thanks for the tip. I will be emailing the resort, for their advice.

Take care.

Sorry if I appeared abrasive, and if I can be of any help at all, please PM me and I'll certainly try to assist. BTW, not normally awake at this time, however, being a MU supporter, just had the pleasure of watching them beat CSKA Moscow. Cool.

It's about a 3 hours drive door-to-door. Not that much longer than taking the ferry + taxis each side. Lanta gets very very quiet from 1st May, many hotels/bars/restaurants close down. I guess that's why they stop the ferry (+ weather considerations).

Any tour desk can supply a minibus service. No idea of schedule or price.

I did this trip a few weeks ago.

From Phuket to the Lanta Pier took me almost 4 hours. Then had to wait nearly one hour for the ferry to leave. Only 15 min. boatride. Drive again 10 min. to next ferry and wait 15 min. to departure. Another 30 min. by car to hotel. From "door to door' was more than 6 hours.

Usually the ferries operate between 1st of November and 30th of April so no boat ride guaranteed.

There will be a new hydrofoil company operating this route but only from the middle of November. Phuket - Lanta in about 1 hr 30 min.

It's about a 3 hours drive door-to-door.

I did this trip a few weeks ago.

From Phuket to the Lanta Pier took me almost 4 hours. Then had to wait nearly one hour for the ferry to leave. Only 15 min. boatride. Drive again 10 min. to next ferry and wait 15 min. to departure. Another 30 min. by car to hotel. From "door to door' was more than 6 hours.

4 hours from Phuket to the 1st ferry seems a very long time. Took me about 2+ hours in my car. I guess we were lucky with the ferries and did not wait more than 10 minutes each ferry. I stand by my original (about) 3 hours. We left our Kata home at 09.00 and arrived at our Lanta hotel just after mid-day.

-pagalim-

Argonaut was not open of that thread, Argonaut wanted to come in Oktober.

The opener of that thread, -jgthaivisa- wanted to come in May and started that thread in April.

-Argonaut- only jumped on the waggon.

Thanks to everyone! We will be leaving to BKK tonight and I am really looking forward to my first Thailand trip. I am pretty sure we will manage to get to Koh Lanta now.

Have a nice day everybody.

Hope you have a great time. If things do get a little 'held up' and you're waiting around for this connection and that minibus or whatever, try not to get too stressed out. When I went from Phuket (Karon) to Phi Phi the minibus was late it was chucking it down with rain, the traffic was a nightmare and the minibus driver stopped to pick up his wifes handbag from somewhere...it was ok though, the boat waited for us :-) and we got where we were going.

Enjoy

:-)

Edited by bifftastic

• 5 months later...