Guardian Visa In K.l.

My friend is a Japanese National who is trying to live in Thailand with his Japanese wife and son. His son currently is enrolled in an international school in Thailand.

Last week he went to Singapore and his wife was granted a guardian visa but he was turned down. The embassy told them they would only give it for the mother. He told me that he had heard that he could apply for a guardian visa in K.L. as the father.

Has anyone recently done this in K.L.?

Thanks

I have never heard of a guardian visa.

I think it would be a non-immigrant O visa that you are talking about to visit family. If the son is erolled in school and has an extension of stay both parents can get a visa and then an extension of stay.

The extension of stay requires 500,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank.

I think the embassy made an error or are creating their own rules.

Believe only one parent can obtain extension of stay for child in school - not both.

Edit: After reading 777 it appears that both may be eligible - but am quite sure this was not the case in the past. In one place is seems to be singular but in another says parents.

Edited by lopburi3

This is what is posted on Immigration website for accompany child in school:

In case of parents staying with a child to take care of the child during the term of education ;

In case of a parent previously granted permission in the Kingdom (before 17 January 2000 ) ,in which case only the mother will be permitted a visa, the following must be provided.

A bank statement withholding not less than 250,000 baht in a savings the account on the day of submission

A copy of bank account showing not less than 250,000 baht on the day of submission and on the day of appointment.

In case of first entry in the Kingdom and applying for an extension to take care of the child (After 17 January 2000 ). The father or mother who is allowed must have the following

A bank statement withholding not less than 800,000 baht in a saving account in the account on the day of submission

A copy of bank account showing not less than 800,000 baht on the day of submission and on the day of appointment.

A copy of money transfer from out side the Kingdom

The immigration website seem to be way out of date. Even the old police order says 500,000 baht in the bank and the only change between the old and new is that the money has to be in the bank 30 days for first application instead of 3 months.

I agree web site is out of date and would read the current translation as you do. But I do not believe it is correct. If it were any nationality could move to Thailand lock, stock and barrel by putting junior in school. Don't believe that would be allowed. I know that it has not been allowed for more than one parent in the past.

Police Order 2006 said this.

(5) In the case of the father or the

mother, the father and the

mother must have a bank

account in Thailand and in their

name showing the balance of no

less than 500,000 Baht during

the last 3 month.

Police Order 2008 says this.

(5) In the case of parents, there must be an account deposit with a local bank made in the name of father or mother of not less than Baht 500,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months. For the first year, it should have that said amount in the bank account for not less than 30 days at the submitted date of the application.

It sounds like a trip to immgration to sort it out.

But the embassy should still of given them both a non-o to visit family.

If both of them can't get the extension then one could probably get a multiple entry o visa from KL either to visit the child or the other parent.