Trink's Nite Owl Page

mbkudu

Trink deserves a lot of credit. He's in the unenviable position of being the top of the tree when it comes to reporting on the BKK nightlife.

All those who have come after and have been awarded Trink's crown are all imitations after all and I think that anyone who enjoys the nightlifein BKK owes a little something to Trink.

His new column is very disappointing however as he only seems to have 2 Thai related paragraphs amongst all the other stuff which I find surprising seeing as he used to bitch about having his inches chopped at the Bangkok Post.

Maybe a lack of income has made him a little half assed these days and hopefully more revenue from advertising will give him a buck up.

Well those old after shave slogans and other old-man yawns of days gone by were beginning to get boring the last couple of years on BP, I don't miss him.

I do.............how else could you tell it was friday :o

And one more thing...............when Trink did his film review, it was about films that were showing,not Thai style about films that are not.

It always amuses me that the Owl which Bernard "Night Owl" Trink uses as his "Logo" is actually a Snowy Owl.

The Snowy Owl is a diurnal bird - active during the day, not the night.

It's main habitat is the cold, snowy Northern climates, not the Tropics - far less Thailand.

The pictured individual Bernard uses is a Juvenile - about 2 years old I would guess (one can only see the head and shoulders).

So many telling differences from the image "Night Owl" might properly want to convey.

And OK - I'm a pedant!

Patrick

It's free now, for what it's worth. I think he finally realised that the only way to attract more advertisers is get more viewers.

i allways thought he was a sad old git :o

You miserable old gits, yourselves.

Yes Trink got VERY Boring which was presumably why BK Post chucked it...but for a long while he nosed around and raised things that The Guardian and Washington Post..and other 'Family Rags' were and are not touching. The attempted mimic in The Nation, otherwise far superior to BK Post, is lame. So you have to ask where, now, is the Street News??...not here, not on Stickman, Asiabugle...etc....On the other hand having spent a w/e in BKK looked like the whole place had died so completely as to merit an obituary rather than a weekly column....

I just had a look at the column - its just awful. Really deteriorated since Post days. There's even less content than there was.

A case of NIT (Nothing In There)

ps If you ever made the mistake of writing to Trink, you found yourself on the mailing lists of those Nigerian scamsters. It killed your mailbox

that's why they fired him, thai style put him in inactive post :o

au revoir :D

A lot of blokes learned the ropes from reading Trink yet as soon as they felt they had become 'experts' in their own right, then would savage him. I still say no matter how begrudgingly you give it, credit where its due.

Fair enough ProFart, but as an interviewer at a job interview once told me,

"We don't care what you've done; we want to see what you can do."

This Trink, as I was told a quite conceited person, overplayed his cards.

More and morte people started to buy The Nation on Fridays because they didn't want to be confronted with his extremely poor writings. Many people thought that he gave a total wrong idea about foreigners to the Thai readers of the Post. Many foreigners felt insulted by the fact that the Bangkok Post had choosen such an underqualified person to represent them.

Yes, many foreigners felt ashamed to have such a man representing them in a Thai newspaper. It was all about alcohol and sex. Extremely bad English (ok, the man is American), one-liners with pseudo wisdom, shortly sad a misery.

I was very surprised that the Bangkok Post kept this man as long as they did.

A person I know, who published several well-selling books about Thailand interviewed him some years ago.

He really posed as a star and told the author that he 'would know to find him' if he would write bad about him. That is the kind of person Trink is.

A former American Vietnam-person, who refused to grew up.

Reading my little story on this Trink-person I feel sorry for him.

With his limited qualifications he managed to make the best out of the circumstances which gave him the possibility to stay in Thailand where others had to go back to America and become bus-drivers or took other honourable positions.

He made the mistake to think that the volume of his body was positively related to the content of his ability to think. In a really sublime way (you need some thinking) he combined the words 'think' and 'drink', leading to his 'nom de plume':

Trink! But after that the genius in Trink seemed to be exhausted.

I wish Mr. Trink well and hope he can controle his eating habit. I don't think he will treathen people anymore. He hopefully grew up and realised that he wasn't a big shot at all. Have another hamburger, but make it the last one!

Actually it is a tragedy. It is representative for the adventures of many foreigners in Thailand. For a while they think (some trink) that they are 'somebody'.

You meet them everywhere.

They compare themselves with other foreigners, not with Thai of course. They have this 'look at me, I made it' attitude. 'Ýesterday I had lunch with a police corporal' and that kind of things.

Poor little Trink, what a deception. But the poor man has to realise that the hights he falls from are created by himself in his own mind.

Wish you a soft landing, Mr. Trink.

Come off it..........I like the guy.......something to do with giving my Pub a plug

Let me tell you, good mister Lampard, that 'the plug' can work two ways. Some people will think 'hi fat man, I pay you the beer' because you write nice about me.

Other ones would say 'I give you a free beer under the condition you don't write about me'.

I personally never, never would visit a place recommended by a person like this Trink. So for me, a person living in a smaller Thai town, this Trink-meatball would have been of big help to avoid places where I don't want to be.

But it is very nice for you. You could clip out the Trink news of the Bangkok Post and send it to your mother: 'Look mammy, my place is in the newspapers in Thailand'.

Good luck with your business!

You seem to have some axe to grind with Trink Limbo.

May have something to do with the fact that he has made a success of his life in Thailand.

Most of the Trink knockers do exactly as he does ie dispense bar stool wisdom. The differences between them and Trink is that Trink did it in print, used his own research and was good at it. The barstool experts would merely quoted Trink, hung around for a few years and then faded into the vapour.

Personally I find his new column a bit thin. Hopefully he will improve it now it is a free column.

Trink's Nite Owl Page, is now free

To get me to read the drivel he churns out I would have to be strapped in and paid.

I thought we had seen the back of him last year, the Bangkok Post is not much of a rag but infinately better without his rubbish printed every Friday.