Insurance For Photo And Video Equipment

cat5

How much would it cost to insure about 100,000 - 150,000 baht of camera gear against accidental damage and theft? The equipment includes SLR camera, lenses and camcorder. Would the insurance cover equipment if it was left in a hotel room? Thanks.

The coverage for these 'personal items' would come under your property insurance so it would depend on the total amount insured as to the premiums. Note the max for any one loss is 300,000 Baht.

Please contact Thai Visa Insurance for quotes :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

I have no other personal items or property in Thailand that I'm interested in insuring. I live in a rented apartment with very little in the way of material possessions other than computer equipment (which I don't want to insure) and this camera equipment. I have a house and good insurance record abroad if that makes any difference. So, how much do you think the premium would be? A very approximate figure would be just fine. I'm legally employed and have lived in Thailand for several years.

I am afraid what you have overseas does not help the underwriters here.

Wherever you live you (should) have property insurance so your items may already be covered. We suggest you ask the owner to see their policy. If for some unknown reason they do not have insurance then we suggest you buy your own quickly as you are responsible should something happen to the property.

Wherever you live you (should) have property insurance so your items may already be covered. We suggest you ask the owner to see their policy. If for some unknown reason they do not have insurance then we suggest you buy your own quickly as you are responsible should something happen to the property.

Property insurance? Do you mean contents insurance, buildings insurance, or some other insurance (such as public liability insurance)? The only insurance I have in Thailand is medical insurance and I have absolutely no interest in general contents insurance as I keep so little here that is worth anything, and anything that I have I could easily pay for or replace. As far as I'm aware I can't insure something that I don't own, therefore you must be talking about some type of public liability insurance in case I accidentally damage the landlords contents or the building itself. Well the contents are worth next to nothing and I don't know anyone who takes out cover to protect their landlord's building. You may not take that as a good reason for not having the insurance, but I maintain that I am not interested in such cover.

Going back to my original question, can you (or someone else) provide cover for camera equipment? Would accidental damage or theft be covered, including theft from a locked hotel or guesthouse room? If not, the cover probably wouldn't be of much value to me. Most insurance policies exclude all the likely scenarios, and I'm not worried about getting mugged.

This reminds me of the time when a relative intended to take out a special policy for a new video camera. My father offered to insure the camera for her - for half the fee the insurance company was quoting - as he knew how unlikely it was that anything would ever happen. Better odds than on the horses!

Property insurance? Do you mean contents insurance, buildings insurance, or some other insurance (such as public liability insurance)? The only insurance I have in Thailand is medical insurance and I have absolutely no interest in general contents insurance as I keep so little here that is worth anything, and anything that I have I could easily pay for or replace. As far as I'm aware I can't insure something that I don't own, therefore you must be talking about some type of public liability insurance in case I accidentally damage the landlords contents or the building itself. Well the contents are worth next to nothing and I don't know anyone who takes out cover to protect their landlord's building. You may not take that as a good reason for not having the insurance, but I maintain that I am not interested in such cover.

Going back to my original question, can you (or someone else) provide cover for camera equipment? Would accidental damage or theft be covered, including theft from a locked hotel or guesthouse room? If not, the cover probably wouldn't be of much value to me. Most insurance policies exclude all the likely scenarios, and I'm not worried about getting mugged.

This reminds me of the time when a relative intended to take out a special policy for a new video camera. My father offered to insure the camera for her - for half the fee the insurance company was quoting - as he knew how unlikely it was that anything would ever happen. Better odds than on the horses!

I think that I hear the sound of a dead horse being beaten to death. This is Thailand. Coverage for theft and loss of valuables is very limited here. Only a few insurers will extend the coverage to valuables taken outside the home. None will provide insurance for a single item, or set of items, without it being included in an insurance package, like home contents insurance or travel insurance. If somebody did provide it here, it would be extremely costly. Have you asked your father?

I think that I hear the sound of a dead horse being beaten to death. This is Thailand. Coverage for theft and loss of valuables is very limited here. Only a few insurers will extend the coverage to valuables taken outside the home. None will provide insurance for a single item, or set of items, without it being included in an insurance package, like home contents insurance or travel insurance. If somebody did provide it here, it would be extremely costly. Have you asked your father?

Okay, I think this confirms what I originally suspected: insurance for the camera equipment is not available unless I include it under a home contents policy that would probably not be suited for my situation or that of most single expats living in Thailand (i.e. small rented apartment and very little in the way of personal items except for a few high value goods). Also, if insurance is available, all the likely scenarios of loss or accidental damage would be excluded, leaving just highly unlikely events such as getting mugged.

If anyone can suggest otherwise, please let me know.

Okay, I think this confirms what I originally suspected: insurance for the camera equipment is not available unless I include it under a home contents policy that would probably not be suited for my situation or that of most single expats living in Thailand (i.e. small rented apartment and very little in the way of personal items except for a few high value goods). Also, if insurance is available, all the likely scenarios of loss or accidental damage would be excluded, leaving just highly unlikely events such as getting mugged.

If anyone can suggest otherwise, please let me know.

This is the point where you should be contacting an insurance broker to find out for yourself. It won't cost you any money and Thaivisa makes it very easy for you to do so.