Hunting

Pierrot

Huntings is an activity very popular with people from all walks of life both in Europe and the USA but unfortunately not in Thailand. Why ?

In an other thread, I asked about clay shooting but didn't get any answer. It's also a popular activity in Europe and the USA. Are firearms only associated with police and criminals here ?

Huntings is an activity very popular with people from all walks of life both in Europe and the USA but unfortunately not in Thailand. Why ?

In an other thread, I asked about clay shooting but didn't get any answer. It's also a popular activity in Europe and the USA. Are firearms only associated with police and criminals here ?

LOL! Are you serious? Pretty hard to take up hunting as a past time when anything that moves is immediately killed and eaten by the peasants! Bring an Isaan girl to Canada and you know what the first thing she will say when walking around nature? "Why hasnt anyone killed and eaten all these furry animals?!!

There are shooting ranges in BKK and Patters. Most of them seem to be target shooting. Cambodia seems to be the place to go if you like firing war weapons at chickens and larger animals. Prefer targets myself.

unless you consider, hunting soi dogs on your motorcycle a acceptable substitution, i think your out of luck. I have mentioned bow hunting to a few people, but it seems all the delicious animals were eaten by the locals a long time ago,, you can always take a go at monkey hunting......

What people don't seem to understand is that organized hunting help preserve wild life.

And also if you never had joined a hunting party, you won't realized that shooting is only a small part of the fun. A great day out with friends, long walks in the wild, great lunch, great fun, that's what hunting is really about.

Hunting is actually a favorite pastime in rural areas; go out in the fields in Isaan and people walk around with hunting rifles on their back. What they come back with is normally squirrels and field rats, sometimes monkeys.

But I have seen similar in the mountains just behind Patong on Phuket: people walking around with hunting rifles on their back. But they looked as if they actually worked on the land; the 'forest' seen from the beach is actually to a large part Durian and other fruit plantations. I am not sure what can be hunted up there, but there are lots of wild pig tracks in some places.

I am assuming however you talk about hunting for foreigners; as you sure know it is close to impossible to get a firearm license without Permanent Residency. And those licenses are not for carrying your weapon around in the open, as you would with a rifle (lots of threads on here if you search).

What people don't seem to understand is that organized hunting help preserve wild life.

And also if you never had joined a hunting party, you won't realized that shooting is only a small part of the fun. A great day out with friends, long walks in the wild, great lunch, great fun, that's what hunting is really about.

Almost sounds like the animals enjoy it too... :o They must be looking forward to those days...

hunting is one of the most unpopular activities in most countries in Europe, as many people there are above "killing for fun".
Agreed, i thought it was all washed up and only for rednecks and dumb farmers, !

Dumb farmers are the people who grow and raise the stuff you have on your plate ! Without them, you starve smart ass !

Edited by Pierrot

I suspect this has something to do with the Buddhist religion, where life is to be respected......................

:o:D:D:burp::burp: yeahh, because so many of the buddhists around here wouldnt dare eat a poor defensless animal, moo ping actualy grows on small bushes :D:D:wai::P :jerk:

The Thai authorities and forestry department etc are constantly battling with illegal hunters and poachers especially in National Parks. Only the other day on TV there was a report about armour plated looking ant eaters (I don't know their name,sorry) fetching 500b a Kilo in the Kingdom and 10 000b a Kilo in restaurants in Japan. As JTS-Korat mentions they're out there all right.

Regards Bojo

My wife remembers when her dad could hunt. It is sad that the huntable critters are all but gone. I used to love to hunt as well, but in Canada we didn't kill all the wildlife so we don't have to pretend we are above hunting like the Europeans do.

What are you hoping to shoot? Elephants? or maybe Lizards?