Booking Train Ticket Help Please

Cobalt60

I wonder if anybody knows of a reliable agent I could book train tickets with ?

I know my dates and the times and train numbers, but cant quite seem to be able to work out the booking method whilst being outside Thailand at the moment.

I have this long time desire to do the over night sleep in a first class compartment type thing :o

Will be needing the train on the 13th of May.

I wonder if anybody knows of a reliable agent I could book train tickets with ?

I know my dates and the times and train numbers, but cant quite seem to be able to work out the booking method whilst being outside Thailand at the moment.

I have this long time desire to do the over night sleep in a first class compartment type thing :o

Will be needing the train on the 13th of May.

You can book online through a travel agent but they charge about 25% more. I don't thinks trains are very much booked in May so you could go to any station and book when you arrive. If you can't get a !st class seat 2nd is very good here specially 2nd class slepers

I wouldn't risk turning up at a station expecting to get a sleeper ticket for that same day. In my experience (Bangkok-Chiang Mai, about 30 times) I've always needed to book at least a day in advance, although I'm not sure if this applies to 1st class.

A 1st class cabin gives you privacy, but unless you pay for 2 you'll be sharing with a stranger. They're also quite bit more expensive than 2nd class.

The 2nd class sleepers are good but on my last few trips have been invaded by a strangely high number of very drunk and noisy middle-aged Dutch!

The bottom bunks are slightly more expensive but a little wider, and the lower center of gravity perhaps gives you less swaying?

You might want to take a long sleeved shirt as the aircon can be pretty intense, almost on par with a Thai cinema!

The restaraunt / disco carriage can be good fun - and probably filled with the aforementioned Dutch - and the food's ok although totally overpriced, but personally I wouldn't bother with the pre-ordered breakfasts (I sometimes take a Subway sandwich).

Go for it, the trains are a good way to travel and a nice way to see the country.

Hope this helps

Is there anyway on the State Railway website to book combination tickets. ie train/bus/ferry to koh samui/phangan ? Or can that only be done at the station?

If I turn up at the station around midday will there be much chance that the overnight train/bus/ferry option will be sold out and if so is it far from the train station to the lomprayah/seatran bus stations to take the bus instead?

Thanks

JP